Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walked
Apr 14, 2003

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I have a NUC that I run 6-ish VMs on at a time but it can be hard to keep it in the $600 price range once it's all kitted out.

Really nice box, though, I'm pretty happy with it.

Same; its my "off-cluster" lab box.

That said, be sure it's a model with the drivers that match your OS. I know the 5i5MYHE has Server 2012 R2 drivers; some models do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigger thicker loads
Feb 28, 2003

you know you want it
I've used a couple NUCs in the past, I didn't think they would be powerful enough to run multiple VMs. I'll take a look at those, thanks!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

bigger thicker loads posted:

I've used a couple NUCs in the past, I didn't think they would be powerful enough to run multiple VMs. I'll take a look at those, thanks!

An SSD makes the biggest difference, followed closely by maxing out RAM.

CPU is rarely a limiting factor on VMs these days (depending on your workload of course).

That said, beware that unless you go USB, youre stuck with a single NIC

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The new 6th gen NUCs have the benefit of being supported out of the box by vanilla ESXi without having to build your own custom image to get nics working.

You can do 32GB of memory, and M.2 SSD and a 2.5" drive, so you can get a decent amount of storage and memory in there, and they are dead quiet and put out very minimal heat.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

big money big clit posted:

The new 6th gen NUCs have the benefit of being supported out of the box by vanilla ESXi without having to build your own custom image to get nics working.

You can do 32GB of memory, and M.2 SSD and a 2.5" drive, so you can get a decent amount of storage and memory in there, and they are dead quiet and put out very minimal heat.

:negative:

Now I want to upgrade my perfectly fine 5th gen NUC for literally no real reason.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking as bit more, and this caught my eye:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAC0F4XA9876
Dual processors, 16 threads, looks like I could add a bunch of memory down the road. The only things I would be concerned about are noise and power draw. Anybody have any experience with these?

I use the z400 line as FreeNAS servers. They're essentially silent and I haven't noticed anodization power draw but I also don't have a Kill-a-watt to check.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Walked posted:

That said, beware that unless you go USB, youre stuck with a single NIC

I would say more like, "be aware," and I wouldn't call that a huge deal. A second NIC seems like it would be handy for some use cases for a home lab, but it's not like you can't work around it with software networking.

For instance, having direct access to the internal VM network from a client can easily be accomplished by just tunneling in. pfsense makes all this stuff pretty easy even if you don't know a lot about networking.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 25, 2017

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

ErIog posted:

I would say more like, "be aware," and I wouldn't call that a huge deal. A second NIC seems like it would be handy for some use cases, but it's not like you can't work around it with software networking.

For instance, having direct access to the internal VM network from a client can easily be accomplished by just tunneling in. pfsense makes all this stuff pretty easy even if you don't know a lot about networking.

Oh I agree; I wasnt trying to get at the negative connotation of "beware" but rather just making sure they're aware.

It's never been an issue; sometimes I wish I had a second NIC for SAN traffic, but thats a pretty edge-case scenario I think.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The big appeal of a second NIC for VMWare stuff is if you're trying to get onto or off of a DVswitch it can be nice to have. Can always work around it with nested virt though.

bigger thicker loads
Feb 28, 2003

you know you want it
Thanks for the advice about using an NUC as an ESXi host. With my tax return coming soon, I've got a little more breathing room in my budget, so I'm deciding between these two systems:

i5 Skylake, 4 threads, up to 2.9GHz
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i5SYH-Mini/dp/B018Q0GN60/

or

i7 Skull Canyon, 8 threads, up to 3.5GHz
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i7KYK-Mini/dp/B01DJ9XS52/

For a $200 difference, is it worh it for double the threads, higher max speed, and an upgrade from a more mobile-type CPU to one closer to a desktop? The i7 box uses more power, but it's still only 45 watts. It looks like the i7 box needs to have the Thunderbolt chip disabled in BIOS during the initial installation of ESXi, but it can be re-enabled afterwards.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Thanks for the advice about using an NUC as an ESXi host. With my tax return coming soon, I've got a little more breathing room in my budget, so I'm deciding between these two systems:

i5 Skylake, 4 threads, up to 2.9GHz
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i5SYH-Mini/dp/B018Q0GN60/

or

i7 Skull Canyon, 8 threads, up to 3.5GHz
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i7KYK-Mini/dp/B01DJ9XS52/

For a $200 difference, is it worh it for double the threads, higher max speed, and an upgrade from a more mobile-type CPU to one closer to a desktop? The i7 box uses more power, but it's still only 45 watts. It looks like the i7 box needs to have the Thunderbolt chip disabled in BIOS during the initial installation of ESXi, but it can be re-enabled afterwards.

It's going to depend on how many VMs you want to run concurrently and how bogged down they'll get if the machine is overprovisioned, but I would probably not buy a dual core CPU for a VM box, I'd lean towards the latter. In my case I run 12+ VMs on a dual 6 core xeon machine that cost about $600 to put together (with some ssd storage). It's 2011 hardware and uses around 200 Watts when the CPUs are under heavy load but it fits my needs.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

You're very likely going to run out of memory before CPU on a NUC in a virtual lab scenario. Unless you're doing fairly compute intensive tasks CPU is not likely to be the bottleneck and I'd save the money and do the i5.

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
I'm just about to upgrade the RAM in my little Synology NAS (which I now use for a ton of self-hosted services via Docker, in addition to file sharing and VPN). On the plus side, it has a removable DDR3L SODIMM memory module. On the minus side, it's buried deep inside:

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=91905#p354295

What the hell Synology? Would easy access to the RAM have killed the design engineers?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Your DS415+ is probably going to stop working shortly anyway:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/06/cisco_intel_decline_to_link_product_warning_to_faulty_chip/

Make sure you have backups / a warranty / escape plan.

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/06/cisco_intel_decline_to_link_product_warning_to_faulty_chip/

Crap.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Thanks Ants posted:

Well, at least it's an excuse to divest ourselves of some of these crappy Fisher-Price NASes.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

There are some pretty serious performance issues with the native ACHI driver in ESXi 6.5, so if you're using sata drives in your home lab you may want to disable that driver to revert to the legacy one if you get poor performance. This affects anything that uses the SATA bus, so M.2 SSD as well.

esxcli system module set --enabled=false --module=vmw_ahci

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Well crap. The two RS2416RP+ units I got at work are going down.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

big money big clit posted:

There are some pretty serious performance issues with the native ACHI driver in ESXi 6.5, so if you're using sata drives in your home lab you may want to disable that driver to revert to the legacy one if you get poor performance. This affects anything that uses the SATA bus, so M.2 SSD as well.

esxcli system module set --enabled=false --module=vmw_ahci

That's interesting! I have a work setup that I am testing hardware on VMs and the datastore is on a SATA SSD. It seems to lose connection a lot (and ran godawful slow) until I moved to an NVMe drive. Do you know if losing connection to datastore is a symptom of this issue?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Is there a particular reason that this thread and the other one (VM thread) are so focused on VMware/ESXi as opposed to KVM? Total newbie asking.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Labs are for breaking/testing things you might want to learn without wrecking poo poo at work or where it matters. KVM has less hold on the workplace in general. But if you have questions, I run KVM everywhere, so feel free

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Ok well I've never set up any kind of hypervisor before and my only VM experience is Fusion running on a Mac for work-specific apps. However I am intrigued by the possibility of setting up a server that could to run a few Mac OS and linux VMs to tinker with and ideally access them via cheap hardware such as a Chromebook. I am particularly interested in getting away from being tied to specific hardware ecosystems like Apple but would still like to be able to use Mac OS and Mac software. Would there be particular advantages/disadvantages to ESXi vs KVM vs other for very entry-level learning/tinkering purposes?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
VMware (in general) has a lot more resources on Google if you wanna ask a quick question, and the user interface is somewhat more friendly for doing odd stuff (which you'll need to do to virtualize OSX)

The hardware support can be finicky compared to KVM, though, which will pretty much run on any crapbox which has hardware virtualization support

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

This may be relevant for some of ya'll (I know it's been pissing me off for ages now): after almost 2 years of bullshit back-and-forth between Intel and Microsoft a version of Advanced Network Services (ANS) has finally been released for Windows 10 which supports VLANs and teaming (Functionality that was inexplicably removed when Windows 8.1 was released). You can grab the new version here, using it myself with an I350-T4 and it works perfectly: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Smashing Link posted:

Is there a particular reason that this thread and the other one (VM thread) are so focused on VMware/ESXi as opposed to KVM? Total newbie asking.

ESXi is incredibly easy to get up and running and has a pretty okay user interface for interacting with stuff. KVM can have that as well, but the experience I've had with it in a production setting has been that you can get stuck on weird small issues.

I use KVM in production and ESXi for protototyping. It's trivial to create/destroy/snapshot in the UI. It's easy to back up and trivial to back up the config of the system itself. It runs from an SD card or USB stick so dual booting it is very easy. If I got used to KVM then I bet a lot of these things would be true there too, but ESXi just removes a lot of the hassle.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
KVM (through libvirt) can trivially create/destroy/clone and export/import configuration through virsh, virt-manager, kimchi, or whatever.

I does not do things like HA. At all. Because KVM is essentially a driver, and libvirt sits on top to say "here's how you access storage/etc". To make it do things like HA, you can either set up obnoxious resources in pacemaker, or use an actual product backed by KVM (oVirt, proxmox, etc)

KVM is comparable to vmkernel, not vSphere.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

That's true, and why I was trying to caveat that my only experience with KVM has been in production (where we only use virsh for management). You are correct. I should have specified that I find virsh clunky rather than KVM itself.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Do you guys run your labs on your home network or have them segregated? If you have them on the home network, how do you handle DHCP and DNS?

I want to do away with my lab network and have everything on the home network. I want devices on the home network to continue as they are, pulling DHCP from the router, resolving DNS in the usual way, etc. In the lab, though, I'd like to continue having that DNS and DHCP. I'm not seeing my angle here.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Do you guys run your labs on your home network or have them segregated? If you have them on the home network, how do you handle DHCP and DNS?

I want to do away with my lab network and have everything on the home network. I want devices on the home network to continue as they are, pulling DHCP from the router, resolving DNS in the usual way, etc. In the lab, though, I'd like to continue having that DNS and DHCP. I'm not seeing my angle here.

Well with DNS you will have to configure the net adapters to point to the DNS servers you want.

DHCP I was going to say group policy (in fact did before I edited) but derp they need an address first.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah DNS is easy if I set it up manually, but if addresses are handed out via DHCP then we have a problem, because I want some devices receiving DNS1 and some receiving DNS2.

Working through some issues on the home network which are being caused by having two networks. I think I've got it narrowed down to two solutions, I can either 1) completely segregate the two networks by not configuring a default gateway on the lab NICs, or 2) run my home and lab off the same network while maintaining separate DHCP and DNS by ____.

It's what goes in ____ that has me thrown. I mean it may not even be possible with the equipment that I have (no VLAN capability) but I'm at least trying to look at options.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there a way to run a DHCP server that only answers to specific MAC addresses? So your lab stuff all gets an address from that, everything else gets ignored by your lab DHCP and picks it up from your home router.

Edit: This only works if the lab DHCP can answer quicker than the home router, or there's no guarantee of keeping the lab stuff in the lab.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 21, 2017

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
How fancy of a DHCP server do you have? Can you specify the settings returned to specific MAC addresses other than IP?

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

I run it all on one network. I just have all devices pointed at the same DNS and DHCP, but not everything is domain joined. I'm sure there's a valid reason not to do what I did, but I found it much easier to handle than trying to separate them.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah DNS is easy if I set it up manually, but if addresses are handed out via DHCP then we have a problem, because I want some devices receiving DNS1 and some receiving DNS2.

Working through some issues on the home network which are being caused by having two networks. I think I've got it narrowed down to two solutions, I can either 1) completely segregate the two networks by not configuring a default gateway on the lab NICs, or 2) run my home and lab off the same network while maintaining separate DHCP and DNS by ____.

It's what goes in ____ that has me thrown. I mean it may not even be possible with the equipment that I have (no VLAN capability) but I'm at least trying to look at options.

I think you'd benefit greatly by getting some better networking hardware. With Cisco the DHCP Relay Agent can be configured per-interface which allows you to use specific DHCP servers per network segment: https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/ip_addr/configuration/guide/htdhcpre.html#wp1085232.

IMO the Cisco Catalyst CX series switches are great for home labs as they're small, quite (Passive cooling, no fans) and run full IOS (Layer 2 LAN Base on the 2960-CX and Layer 2+3 IP Base on the 3560-CX). However they are a bit pricey (Around $600 for a 3560-CX) and unless you're already familiar with IOS the learning curve might be a bit steep. That aside, I've got a 2960-CX in my home lab and I'm extremely happy with it.

Or alternatively have a look at the EdgeRouter series from Ubiquiti. They're solid devices with full Layer 2+3 support and are extremely cheap (The EdgeRouter X is around $60).

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I love your advice, let me read up on the links provided and see what looks appropriate for my setup. Thanks all!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cross-post, asking for a friend, anyone run into the same issue?

cheese-cube posted:

Anyone here managed to get ASAv running on ESXi 6.5 in a Workstation VM? A colleague of mine is having issues, "Failed to deploy VM: postNFCData failed." error.

Edit: nevermind, psydude has answered my question:

psydude posted:

Pretty much all Cisco products aren't officially supported on 6.5 yet, and I've heard of all sorts of issues with it more generally.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 4, 2017

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the cert thread:

I bought a lab (http://www.ebay.com/itm/250930267864) with 3 routers/2 switches for studying for my ICND1/2. Did I get a good one? I've been using pearson/cisco press/PT but from what I read having actual hardware should make the studying process easier.

It has open slots so if anyone has any recommendation on an extra switch or better router or whatever, please enlighten me.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Contrary to the (now ancient) OPs you can buy used Dell servers stupid cheap on ebay these days. If I have a rack sitting in the back room, is there any reason I should spend money on a c6100 or r710 just to gently caress around with? Seems like you can get a decent amount of cores plus a sizable amount of memory for <$300

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Yea ebay servers are the reason I have like 7 servers. Its a real problem I swear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Nativity In Black posted:

Contrary to the (now ancient) OPs you can buy used Dell servers stupid cheap on ebay these days. If I have a rack sitting in the back room, is there any reason I should spend money on a c6100 or r710 just to gently caress around with? Seems like you can get a decent amount of cores plus a sizable amount of memory for <$300

eBay servers were always cheap. They're also loud power hogs. Have you heard a C6100?

If you can live with that, great, get one.

• Locked thread