Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
So with the only CCNA test now being offered being the 200-120 or the CCENT route, I take it a physical home lab isn't really an option anymore? From what I can gather and looking at the 200-120 syllabus, you're going to need newer equipment because there's IOS 15 stuff on . I have a few 2950's and a couple 2600 series routers that I picked up last year but I never got around to doing the 640 exam. My employer wants me to get my CCNA now (Even though I work in a pure Brocade/Foundry environment). Which is my best route to go now for simulations? I previously planned to just do all the objectives and study on a regular lab, but it seems that's not the best course of action now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Red87 posted:

So with the only CCNA test now being offered being the 200-120 or the CCENT route, I take it a physical home lab isn't really an option anymore? From what I can gather and looking at the 200-120 syllabus, you're going to need newer equipment because there's IOS 15 stuff on . I have a few 2950's and a couple 2600 series routers that I picked up last year but I never got around to doing the 640 exam. My employer wants me to get my CCNA now (Even though I work in a pure Brocade/Foundry environment). Which is my best route to go now for simulations? I previously planned to just do all the objectives and study on a regular lab, but it seems that's not the best course of action now.

What's on there that's only in IOS 15?

But FYI, the 7200 series version 15 IOS image is supported in GNS3.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

evol262 posted:

Go on eBay. Look for Mellanox HCAs (QLogic HCAs are also fine), CX4 cables, and an infiniband switch (QLogic, Mellanox, maybe Topspin or Cisco). Any PCIe HCA you see should be at least 10gb. You can get 10gb (8gb effectively, because it probably won't be FDR) for ~$25, and dual-port HCAs for $40. 10gb is old hat in the Infiniband world. It's actually that simple.

Neat, thanks. I'll check it out.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Okay, I'm finally ready to buy some cisco poo poo.

Here's what I'm thinking for ROUTE/SWITCH:

2 x 2801 ISR with sufficient RAM for 15.x
2 x 3640 for frame relay and mpls goodness
2 x 3560
2 x 2960
1 x ASA 5505, potentially a second one if I end up colocating this nonsense at work so I can just set up a site to site.
1 x cyclades TS-3000

Anything terribly wrong here?

Also, apparently I am meant to know some level of wireless and VOIP for SWITCH - what sorts of equipment might I want, or is it going to be minor enough that I can just get what I need from books?

mala
Jun 21, 2010

Comradephate posted:

Okay, I'm finally ready to buy some cisco poo poo.

Here's what I'm thinking for ROUTE/SWITCH:

2 x 2801 ISR with sufficient RAM for 15.x
2 x 3640 for frame relay and mpls goodness
2 x 3560
2 x 2960
1 x ASA 5505, potentially a second one if I end up colocating this nonsense at work so I can just set up a site to site.
1 x cyclades TS-3000

Anything terribly wrong here?

Also, apparently I am meant to know some level of wireless and VOIP for SWITCH - what sorts of equipment might I want, or is it going to be minor enough that I can just get what I need from books?

I've got a 2811 you can have

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Does anyone know hwere to get hardware in the EU? My boss promised me some of the servers falling out of the inventory, but he isn't following up on it, so I am wondering where I could buy some old stuff.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

mala posted:

If he's not interested, I am. I'm starting CCNP Route right now and I'm getting ready to build a lab. I'll pay you for shipping, etc.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

mala posted:

How much were you thinking? I'm at 78109 if you want to estimate shipping.

Flash z0rdon
Aug 11, 2013

QPZIL posted:

Is there any Juniper router or switch that doesn't cost a million dollars*?

*(a million figurative dollars)

Now that I have juniper routers set up in GNS3 and working, I might do a write up. I'm pretty impressed with JunOS so far.

save up $1500 and buy a Juniper M7i. You can leverage "logical-systems" without a license and create 16 virtual routers, each with their own rpd, snmpd, config, and more. It's literally like having 16 discrete JUNOS devices.

Granted things get a bit slower when you have lots of protocols and things but it all works and it's not GNS3. so there's that. or you can buy seven J-series for that price. The benefit the J-series have over the M7i is you can do NAT and IPSEC without a services PIC or CFEB with ASM.

mala
Jun 21, 2010

Comradephate posted:

How much were you thinking? I'm at 78109 if you want to estimate shipping.

I'm in Australia so not sure how much shipping comes to, I am willing to give it for free though so should still come ahead minus shipping. As long as it gets a good home and helps you.

Sorry GOOCHY but I offered it to Comrade first, if he's not interested then the offer goes to you.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

mala posted:

I'm in Australia so not sure how much shipping comes to, I am willing to give it for free though so should still come ahead minus shipping. As long as it gets a good home and helps you.

Sorry GOOCHY but I offered it to Comrade first, if he's not interested then the offer goes to you.

Looks like air mail will be about $130 - close to the price of a 2811, and more than the price of a 2801. :(

I really appreciate the offer, but I guess it doesn't make a lot of sense to ship it out here.

Maybe GOOCHY is closer to you?

mala
Jun 21, 2010

Comradephate posted:

Looks like air mail will be about $130 - close to the price of a 2811, and more than the price of a 2801. :(

I really appreciate the offer, but I guess it doesn't make a lot of sense to ship it out here.

Maybe GOOCHY is closer to you?

Without knowing the cheapest option for sending it I did a quick quote on Australia Post and it came to $76AU, I didn't know they were so cheap over there, so yeah not worth it.

GOOCHY or anyone else is welcome to it if worthwhile, it's just sitting which seems like bit of a waste

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!
Whenever you build a home lab I highly recommend either a ticketing system, a wiki, or both. Having to go back and rediscover how you set something up is incredibly obnoxious and being able to just pull it from the wiki or look at the ticket is a Godsend.

I've used RequestTracker, though it's kind of annoying to setup (I believe it has some perl/cgi bits). I just switched to eticket which is a garden variety php/mariadb application. Took 10 minutes and has what I need for my small arrangement.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
I want to VT-d my graphics to an XBMC guest running on ESXi 5.5. After realizing I can't really do this with integrated Intel graphics, I'm looking to purchase a video card. This is the one I was considering: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161354 (must be PCI-E x1). I've never really done this before and I'm not even sure if this is going to work so before I order this, does anyone have any insight that I may not be aware of?

edit: Or if someone can tell me if it is possible to pass through the integrated Intel GPU to a vm guest? I tried to but the host crashed, I assume because the VMware Kernel is using it.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 15, 2013

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Ganson posted:

Whenever you build a home lab I highly recommend either a ticketing system, a wiki, or both. Having to go back and rediscover how you set something up is incredibly obnoxious and being able to just pull it from the wiki or look at the ticket is a Godsend.

I've used RequestTracker, though it's kind of annoying to setup (I believe it has some perl/cgi bits). I just switched to eticket which is a garden variety php/mariadb application. Took 10 minutes and has what I need for my small arrangement.

I use Jira. Its overkill, I wont lie. I use it to keep track of all sorts of crazy things in my life including lab stuff.

We use at work in the administration/network teams and I just got used to it so decided to use it at home as well.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And both Jira and Confluence are only $10 each for 10 users. Highly recommended.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

BurgerQuest posted:

And both Jira and Confluence are only $10 each for 10 users. Highly recommended.

Seriously good value.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I just got a boatload of old Cisco equipment for free! 2 12-port 2950s, 6 8-port 2940s, a 1u 2600 and a 2u 2600, a 3002 vpn gateway and a Pix 501. Is any of this stuff worth anything? Can I use it to lab for a CCNA? Can I sell it? I have no significant networking experience from before besides patch panels, home network and stuff. Storing it and powering it for labbing won't be a problem, lots of space at work.

Edit: And an AT-GS950/24 switch.

evobatman fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 17, 2013

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The 2950's are fine for studying switching for CCNA level (you'll want to throw in a 3rd switch, 2940 for STP stuff), and the 2600 are ok to great for CCNA depending on what else is inside them. I don't think the CCNA touches on anything related to the 3002 or the PIX/ASA side of things.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Speaking of PIX - there are a ton of PIXs for cheap on eBay, but ASAs are somewhat pricey.

A PIX is no replacement for an ASA, right? What would I be missing out on with a PIX box?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The PIX platform hit "end of sale" in 2008 and isn't comparable to an ASA other than "they're both firewalls". They don't even run the same OS. There is no reason to own one in your lab.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Docjowles posted:

The PIX platform hit "end of sale" in 2008 and isn't comparable to an ASA other than "they're both firewalls". They don't even run the same OS. There is no reason to own one in your lab.

Noted. Thanks! And, I guess I can do basically everything I need to with a GNS3-based ASA. The only really real thing I need in my CCNA:Security lab is some switches.

Also finally got ACS up and running on my VMware box. TREMBLE at it's 4gigs of RAM, 60gig SCSI hard drive, and DUAL 3gHz processors. The question I had asked before about why the "acs" application wasn't running on the box, turns out it just didn't install correctly. Works fine now.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So are there any good current guides out there for setting up GNS3 and Juniper Olive in an ESXi environment?

Would like to play around with them outside of work a little more.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Moey posted:

So are there any good current guides out there for setting up GNS3 and Juniper Olive in an ESXi environment?

Would like to play around with them outside of work a little more.

I'll type something up tonight, how I got mine set up.

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho
Gotta off-load most of my HOMELAB gear, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575546

Good stuff for your ESXi testing machines, goons.

SpaceBum
May 1, 2006

kill your idols posted:

Gotta off-load most of my HOMELAB gear, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575546

Good stuff for your ESXi testing machines, goons.

Quick questions for you and the thread: do you think the ECC RAM is necessary for a home lab that will be running 24/7?

I'd buy that xeon but my e3-1245v3 build arrived yesterday. :homebrew:

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho

I think if your board supports it, than yes. If not, I don't feel it breaks a good deal on something else. Either way, you have backups, and a more full-proof plan for stuff that is not replaceable data, media, anime.

That question is a worms nest for debate :eng101:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Was still running Workstation 8 so I decided to uprgade to 10, and nothing about my lab is too precious, so I scrapped the whole thing. Why is it that every time I rebuild my home lab I spend all of my time getting pfSense to play nice when routing? You'd think I'd remember the step I'm overlooking by now, jimminy freakin hopskotch.

e: Not asking for help, it's going to be something silly that I overlooked, and I got myself into this mess, just venting a bit. I never learn.

e: Time to spin up a DC, admin PC, and 5 ESXi hosts, 40 minutes. Time to get pfSense to give me access to the internet, oh, bout three hours now. To be fair I keep distracting myself with the weirder parts of Youtube, but still, poo poo.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 20, 2013

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Was still running Workstation 8 so I decided to uprgade to 10, and nothing about my lab is too precious, so I scrapped the whole thing. Why is it that every time I rebuild my home lab I spend all of my time getting pfSense to play nice when routing? You'd think I'd remember the step I'm overlooking by now, jimminy freakin hopskotch.

e: Not asking for help, it's going to be something silly that I overlooked, and I got myself into this mess, just venting a bit. I never learn.

e: Time to spin up a DC, admin PC, and 5 ESXi hosts, 40 minutes. Time to get pfSense to give me access to the internet, oh, bout three hours now. To be fair I keep distracting myself with the weirder parts of Youtube, but still, poo poo.

i've been there. the problem is the pfsense devs assume it is your internet connection instead of just a router and things get stupid.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

thebigcow posted:

i've been there. the problem is the pfsense devs assume it is your internet connection instead of just a router and things get stupid.
I stayed up far later than is reasonable and STILL didn't figure it out. Grrrr. :(

But yeah I think you're right - every piece of information I found involved entering your ISP PPPoE credentials or something like that. Nooo, that is not the solution.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 20, 2013

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

What seems to be the problem you're experiencing? I've never had trouble setting up pfSense for basic connectivity, and have even used it for VPNs and load balancing in production environments.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 11, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

FYI Workstation has built in routing functions in the virtual network editor

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Apparently I am just dumb as a bag of hammers when it comes to firewalls.

I've been trying to get an ASA working in my setup, but somehow I can't get it to route the outside to the inside.

My setup is:

~~~*THE CLOUD*~~~ <====> g0 [ASA] g1 <====> fa0/0 [Router] fa0/1 <==== (everything else)

I have g0 setup with "nameif OUTSIDE", "ip address 192.168.0.254", "security-level 0"
I have g1 setup with "nameif INSIDE", "ip address 10.1.1.1", "security-level 100"

The ASA and the router are both running EIGRP with the default static route of 0.0.0.0 to 192.168.0.1 (the outside router). The ASA is NATing everything from g1 to the outside.

However, I can ping 4.2.2.2 from the OUTSIDE interface on the ASA, but get "?????" when I try to ping from the INSIDE interface.

I tried making both in and out ACLs for the echo protocol on both interfaes, but the packet tracer tool in ASDM still says that an access rule is blocking the pings from going through. Hm.

This same setup works on the router if it were plugged straight into the internet, but I feel like I'm missing something dumb. I just finished the CBT Nuggets series on CCNA Security, so now I'm getting around to the practice/lab part of things, and... welp, I feel dumb :downs:

edit-- oh for gently caress sake, I didn't have an ACL to allow echo-reply traffic in on the OUTSIDE interface, only allowing echo traffic through to get out. Fixed.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 21, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Just a bit of a throwaway question, but can anyone tell me where Openfiler is placing data before it flushes to disk? I created volume and presented it to an ESXi host, copied over 60gb of software, but could not actually find that data on my hard drive. Memory on my local system, the ESXi host, Openfiler, hell even the VM admin box I use to run vSphere, none of them showed any memory pressure. No increased file sizes, no swapping, nothing that I could find, but obviously that information was somewhere - it finally showed up in earnest when I shut down both ESXi and Openfiler, but until then the files were there, accessible, everything, just not actually registering on my harddrive. Where were they, any guesses?

A thoroughly unimportant question.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 23, 2013

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Just a bit of a throwaway question, but can anyone tell me where Openfiler is placing data before it flushes to disk? I created volume and presented it to an ESXi host, copied over 60gb of software, but could not actually find that data on my hard drive. Memory on my local system, the ESXi host, Openfiler, hell even the VM admin box I use to run vSphere, none of them showed any memory pressure. No increased file sizes, no swapping, nothing that I could find, but obviously that information was somewhere - it finally showed up in earnest when I shut down both ESXi and Openfiler, but until then the files were there, accessible, everything, just not actually registering on my harddrive. Where were they, any guesses?

A thoroughly unimportant question.

I'm 99% sure OpenFiler creates LVM volumes with extX on top of those, but it's hard to say without knowing whether you're using iSCSI, NFS, or whatever. iSCSI allocation in OpenFiler is probably LVM volumes presented as LUNs as bare, unformatted filesystems (that you allocate from wherever), and if it's thin-provisioned, it adds another layer where something could change here.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Is there a better way to evaluate VMware vSphere and vCenter rather than reinstalling every 2 months?

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

kiwid posted:

Is there a better way to evaluate VMware vSphere and vCenter rather than reinstalling every 2 months?

Using AutoLab to make redeploying easier: http://professionalvmware.com/2012/05/vsphere-5-autolab/

Or just use the Hands-on-Labs to evaluate and learn: https://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/resources/how

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

kiwid posted:

Same question but for System Center, Solarwinds, and Veeam products. I install, life happens, come back, oh great I have 3 days left on my trial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

kiwid posted:

run repairs or the updated versions of the product to reset the nuke timer, you can also just run a repair to reset the timer of ESXi hosts.

Autolab works great as well

• Locked thread