Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Mac Minis make awesome lab machines. Tiny, quiet, and cheap. Downside is they max out at 16GB of RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

three
Aug 9, 2007

Buy the loud Dell servers then build a shed with an AC unit, raised floors, etc in it and have your own datacenter. :eng101:

three
Aug 9, 2007

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Here is what I would look into

Intel build:
mobo/case/psu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101117
CPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116782
Memory(2) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104361
Cost: 645

Pro's
Intel-VT/D
Low power
Quiet
small
easy to setup and roll
Con's
Low internal disks
Budget doesn't include drives

I really like the shuttle enclosures. That CPU doesn't support the onboard graphics of the shuttle, though.

three
Aug 9, 2007

This thread needs more cool parts lists like Corvettefisher posted. I don't want to spec out parts on my own. :ohdear:

three
Aug 9, 2007

Moey posted:

I think that was a jab saying most people in here can spec a whitebox ESXi setup.

I was responding to Indecision1991's post on some whitebox considerations, if you are tired of seeing my posts you can just add me to your ignore list.

You guys are so negative. :psyduck:

I was really looking for more builds. I think they're interesting.

There should be a battle for cheapest whitebox with 32GB of RAM.

Edit: I <3 you, Corvettefisher. You're not crazy like you used to be.

three fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 18, 2013

three
Aug 9, 2007

Been using my Mac Mini upgraded to 16GB of RAM for awhile now with VMware Fusion hosting ESXi, and it's been pretty great. I'm getting to the point where I need more RAM for VMs (vCenter, 3x Citrix VMs, Active Directory, Linux VM, VMware View, etc) so I finally bit the bullet and bought a dedicated machine that I'll pair up with my Mini.

SHUTTLE SH67H3 PC Barebone System
Intel Core i5-3470 Quad-Core Processor 3.2 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53470
Crucial 16GB RAM (2x8GB)

Got it all on Amazon. Signed up for Amazon Prime trial and I wanted to get the Amazon Rewards card for awhile, so I got that and got $50 off. Grand total: $500.82 + free shipping.

In the future, I'll probably add the Intel PRO/1000 Pt Dual Port Server Adapter mentioned in this blog, as well as an SSD for vFlash Read Caching goodness.

I also considered the Shuttle XH61V, and an i3 since it'd be a lot cheaper but I wanted vPro/VT-d and capability to increase to 32GB if needed. This lab build is pretty sweet, but I can't justify buying three units even if it would allow bare metal testing of VSAN.

three fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 21, 2013

three
Aug 9, 2007

IT Guy posted:

Thanks for that post, three. I'm considering those Shuttles now.

So is it generally recommended to go for a two host system rather than one big beefy host?

Multiple hosts would be closer to real world testing, I suppose. I plan to virtualize ESXi on top of 1 beefy host for economic purposes. All of the stuff I want to put to test in a lab will work fine in a virtualized host environment (VSAN, VFRC, VMDirectPath, etc.).

three
Aug 9, 2007

Agrikk posted:

Two hosts allow you to do things like failover clustering and other nifty things. If you can afford the extra power, go with multiple hosts instead of a single beefy guy.

You can do failover clustering with one host while virtualizing the hypervisors.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Thinking about switching my home lab from iSCSI to NFS. Apparently NFS performance is significantly better on the Synology NASes.

I have to actually partition my network with VLANs to force traffic through a specific NIC/VMkernel then, which I don't have to do with iSCSI. :(

three
Aug 9, 2007

IT Guy posted:

So, I'm thinking about doing the following:

2 of the servers are for home lab, the third one will be where I consolidate my current poo poo to for home entertainment, etc.

The 5 DP NICs, 1 for each server, 1 for my NAS, 1 for my backup NAS.

One thing I really want to test is iSCSI MPIO over Gig-E since it's likely something we're going to implement at work in the near future.

Any problems with it?

edit: and the mic you can ignore.

Isn't that RAM relatively expensive? Although I guess if you're spending $2500 who cares, ha. The Shuttles are so nicely designed. I <3 mine.

three
Aug 9, 2007

incoherent posted:

I'd personally get this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859106267R

You'll get a fully featured xenon proc, 2more mb of L3 cache, and you can jam diffrent size DIMMs in and get the same dual-channel speed. Also you can step up to ECC ram. The only thing you don't get is hyper threading.

E: its not nearly as sexy as the shuttle, i'll give you that.

Only thing I'd note is that machine may run a bit louder if it was designed as a server than a Shuttle which is quiet as a mouse. No idea if true.

three
Aug 9, 2007

IT Guy posted:

I pulled the trigger on it. Went with the Shuttles due to the smaller form factor. But thanks for the suggestion.

Baller setup. Let us know how it goes.

Edit: Heads up, the on-board NIC doesn't work with ESXi 5.5. VMware removed it. :(

However, there is a fix: http://www.bussink.ch/?p=1228

three fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 29, 2013

three
Aug 9, 2007

kiwid posted:

Is there a better way to evaluate VMware vSphere and vCenter rather than reinstalling every 2 months?

Using AutoLab to make redeploying easier: http://professionalvmware.com/2012/05/vsphere-5-autolab/

Or just use the Hands-on-Labs to evaluate and learn: https://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/resources/how

three
Aug 9, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So I'm going to try to set up a home lab, mostly focused on VMware, and then the usual Microsoft suite of software - Server 2012R2, AD, DNS, etc., with some SCCM thrown in. I'm going for the usual shuttle build

Shuttle SH67H3
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge
2x Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Rosewill RNG-407-Dual PCI-Express Dual Port Gigabit ... Only dual port NIC I could find that didn't cost a significant portion of the build...
And I'll probably dig up some hard drive from somewhere to install ESXi on.
Tentative cost: ~790 Canadian funbux.

However, the other half of the equation is to get some network storage practice going on. I figured I'd throw FreeNAS on something, and use it for the VMware server's storage though Gb iSCSI. I have no bloody idea what I should be looking for. Being able to hold a decent number of disks and raid them obviously, so another one of those shuttles is out, but I'm sure someone here has done something that would work. Anything in particular I should look at, or even better, any black Friday deals going on I should be looking at?

The shuttle is on sale for Black Friday for 40 off right now, I believe, on Amazon.

Also, doesn't the K proc not support VMDirectPath?

three
Aug 9, 2007

I'd enable small TPS first, if you aren't proc constrained, doing large JVM environments or such TPS can really help

Go to host> config tab> adv settings> Mem > Mem.AllocGuestLargePage set to 0 reboot and done.

(just realized I had Mem.alloGuestRemoteLargePage not sure if it means anything)

Running all this on 20GB of ram most of it is TPS

With large pages enabled (4MB) TPS doesn't kick in till 94~ percent, forcing small page tables (4k) which operates at the same level of tps(4k) you get better mem reclamation for a lab at the cost of some CPU overhead.

Rebuilding Spring semesters coursed because gently caress all I am bored as poo poo. HA! just realized part of that CPU overhead is a vm cloning and my FREENAS VAAI trying to compensate with ~3000Mhz used

This is actually a really cool tip for home labs that deserves more press. I wasn't aware of this functionality.

From reading on it more, it looks like you lose "10-20% performance" which I assume they mean is CPU performance (sources: 1, 2)? Given a lot of environments are memory constrained instead of CPU even in production-level environments, why isn't this setting recommended more?

three fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 1, 2013

three
Aug 9, 2007

Be a man, buy a Synology NAS.

three
Aug 9, 2007

I upgraded my home lab with home-lab-benefit-dollars from new gig, so I built another shuttle with 32GB RAM, as well as added SSDs to each. Also added Cisco SG300 and a UPS. Really like the Cisco switch; it can do layer 3 and is pretty quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

three
Aug 9, 2007

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Be aware that setting up FreeNAS as a VM is possible but not recommended - the folks over at the FreeNAS forums gleefully tell people this whenever anyone asks about it. I found it to be pretty easy to setup and join to my network and access when I stood up a spare PC I had on-hand, but eventually the noise drove me nuts. I'm thinking about getting a new case and investing in some watercooling equipment to cut down on the noise, but after considering the cost for all that I think I might as well go ahead and buy one of the NAS appliances out there since the cost will pretty much even out unless I go for a really big array size with lots of disks. Still trying to decide where my pain point would be, but for now it's a pipe dream.

Why do they recommend against it as a VM?

• Locked thread