Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
I picked up an ML370 G6 for $400 a little while back. Had a single 5540, 6GB of memory, and 4 146G 10K SAS SFF drives. After a trip to eBay the fucker has another 5540, 48GB of memory, and 8 SAS drives. Threw ESX on it and it makes a wonderful lab. I work for a virtualization company so while the box is definitely overkill for most, it's great for me to replicate all kinds of weird poo poo my clients might want to do.

By virtue of working for said company, it turns out that I was able to get an nVidia GRID K2 card for free as long as the server was on the HCL. Of course they didn't certify anything less than a G8, but after a little smooth talking I got a K2 shipped to my door. All I need now is the graphics power cable kit from HP - should be easy right? gently caress no. I ordered one from eBay, condition said "new" and it was only $20. Turns out deeper in the ad this prick said it was "new - incomplete" and that it was actually missing one of the four cables. Of course it's missing the one cable that I need to hook up the loving K2. Okay, lesson learned, I figure I'll just buy from a parts distributor to be sure. I ordered the kit from serversupply.com for $40. Says it's brand new and straight from HP. Wonderful!

It's missing the same loving cable.

I quadruple checked everything to make sure that I wasn't nuts and that I was ordering the right part, then called up Server Supply for an RMA. Now I have to find it somewhere else and hope it's actually truly a complete kit. It's complete and utter torture looking at the gigantic slab of awesomeness that is the K2 and not being able to do anything at all with it until I can get the stupid cable. If it was anything less I'd order the parts to make it, but I'm not about to risk misreading a pinout and frying my card and/or server.

On another note, I've been talking with Comcast Business about getting a business internet line installed so I can get some static IPs. Business lines are contract based, and if you terminate service for basically any reason, including if you move to an area that Comcast doesn't serve, you have to pay 75% of the remaining contract balance. That sucks, but I'm kind of forced into that position since I'm hitting bandwidth caps on my residential line doing legitimate poo poo like transferring VMs between my home and colo. Google Fiber, hurry up and deploy in Atlanta already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
If you're looking for lab VM backup, get yourself an NFR license for Veeam B&R. Not the Free edition link, the ones near the bottom for VCP/MCP certified people. Link

And no, they don't verify if you actually have a VCP/MCP. But don't lie, kids. Lying is wrong.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
New servers came in today, storage and cabling doesn't come in until at least friday. The waiting is the worst.

Edit: my lab RAID controllers showed up missing two cards, four sets of cables and two BBUs. Thanks, eBay.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 27, 2015

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Wow. Had another node's internal USB key die. Same story as before, Nutanix was just twiddling it's thumbs apparently not monitoring the actual boot device at all.

I only really noticed that during the migration to ESX I suddenly couldn't boot VMs. Came with a super helpful error message as well.

To it's credit, once I identified the server and powered it down the cluster rebuilt and I could boot things again, but this doesn't feel well baked at all. Maybe if they gave community edition members the ability to use other hypervisors and access to the knowledge base it'd be better. But seriously, how does constant read errors on a system disk not trigger a node health warning? It seems like their monitoring only makes sure the CVM is healthy and not the actual hypervisor underneath.

So, anyone have a preferred USB boot drive? Going SATADOM feels like overkill, but since it preserves my hotswap disk capacity I might just pull the trigger.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 15, 2016

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Thanks Ants posted:

If it's just to boot from, SanDisk have a range of Industrial SD cards that are designed to be written to a ton.

I just bit the bullet and got some cheap MLC SSDs to boot from. It'll be a while until I really need more datastore capacity. When I hit that limit I think I'll go the industrial SD card route.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Finally got the four nodes converted to ESX and vSAN.

In case anyone's wondering, vSAN and HA do a great job recovering from when someone fatfingers a vmkernel address and inadvertently duplicates an existing address of another host.

Not that anyone's stupid enough to do that.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

bigger thicker loads posted:

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking as bit more, and this caught my eye:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAC0F4XA9876
Dual processors, 16 threads, looks like I could add a bunch of memory down the road. The only things I would be concerned about are noise and power draw. Anybody have any experience with these?

I use the z400 line as FreeNAS servers. They're essentially silent and I haven't noticed anodization power draw but I also don't have a Kill-a-watt to check.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
I'm looking for a layer 3 switch with four 10g SFP+ ports in addition to regular copper 1G ports. I see some Juniper boxes that look good but I'm cautious because I assume L3 features are license based so I'd prefer not to drop a grand only to find out the box doesn't have the appropriate licensing. Is this assumption correct, and are there any other options I'm not thinking of? I'm running Ubiquiti gear currently but I'm not married to it by any means.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
I'm not really doing anything crazy. Pretty much if it can do basic routing and OSPFv2 I'd be set.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

big money big clit posted:

EX switches do not require a license for L3. JunOS is really good, you should give them a shot.

I was kind of hoping that was the case, but when looking at the datasheet I see stuff like

quote:

"An optional enhanced license is available for supporting
additional L3 protocols such as OSPF, Internet Group
Management Protocol (IGMP v1/v2/v3), Protocol Independent
Multicast (PIM), Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD),
and Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP)."

on the EX2300 datasheet.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Thanks Ants posted:

If it needs a license then can you not just buy it with the license? Am I missing something obvious?

Nobody sells used enterprise network gear with licenses.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Hmm, I'm seeing 775 for a 3750x with the 10G card installed, I might throw a lowball out and see what happens. That's just with IP Base though - the feature sets are all based on license and not different firmware images anymore right? If so I'm looking at about $1500 for one running IP Services. I am in the middle of cranking out a CCNP so it wouldn't hurt to have some Cisco in the playground.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 22, 2017

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
I decided to bite the bullet and just get a 3750x with ip services license and the 10Gb module.

I, however, completely missed the fact that the 10Gb module doesn't provide four 10Gb ports. It provides two SFP and two SFP+ ports, meaning it only actually has two Te interfaces. I have four nodes I was planning to connect via 10Gb and eliminate the two other switches that are currently there. I went Cisco since I'm going through a CCNP study program and figured it'd be worth it to get some real world exposure in my lab.

gently caress.

Are there any IOS platforms that have four ten gigabit interfaces I should be looking for?

It looks like the 4948 has four SFP+ ports and are way cheaper even with ES images. They appear to be decent and have full IP routing support, so what am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Moey posted:

I said this earlier about Juniper gear, unsure why you would care for home use.

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB24321

Yeah, I remember. I'd definitely be down for expanding into juniper gear since I've heard people love it but I want to have at least a little Cisco so that I can reinforce the CCNP stuff in my lab instead of just running through virtual labs.

• Locked thread