Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

three posted:

Edit: I <3 you, Corvettefisher. You're not AS crazy like you used to be.

fixed for hilarity

(I'm just kidding around CV)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Ask me about using 2200 of these in production and rather than springing for a RAID card we use the software RAID. Also ask me about how large I/O can cause the server to lock up, start verifying the RAID integrity and then lockup so you have to reboot them from the AMT. We finally got a fixed driver from intel (through lenovo) so it marks the drives defunct instead of locking up every night.... only took a year for that to happen.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I have one of these, I run Linux from the Megaraid card that's included. I guess the software RAID you mention does not include this card right? Otherwise I might have a problem. :)

Our client opted out of the megaraid card because that would have cost an extra $100 per machine, not a good spot to penny pinch.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

I cannot get my head around subnetting and it would suck to fail the CCNA (taking v2 next week) because I need to know how to do something on paper that I currently use Google for.

Has anyone got any resources that worked for them to get this to click?

Actually, Lammle I thought explained it well, he gave you the long version and how to do it, and the next chapter (or maybe 2 later I forget) gives you the ol' "here's how to do this in a sane and faster manner"

MF_James
May 8, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Do you guys run your labs on your home network or have them segregated? If you have them on the home network, how do you handle DHCP and DNS?

I want to do away with my lab network and have everything on the home network. I want devices on the home network to continue as they are, pulling DHCP from the router, resolving DNS in the usual way, etc. In the lab, though, I'd like to continue having that DNS and DHCP. I'm not seeing my angle here.

Well with DNS you will have to configure the net adapters to point to the DNS servers you want.

DHCP I was going to say group policy (in fact did before I edited) but derp they need an address first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

big money big clit posted:

I'm a big fan of the "rails don't fit, guess we will just set it on top of this other thing that's mounted with working rails" approach where you end up with one set of rails supporting four or five pieces of equipment.

Docjowles posted:

Also I just realized that I left "get super drunk, order a set of rails at random, and force them into the rack any way you can" off the list of important rackmount server activities. Because lord knows whoever built the racks you're going to be servicing some day did exactly that. Coming out of the data center looking like you just lost a bare-knuckle boxing match is a critical career milestone.

I have had to do both of these things. I've also had to force rails somewhat because the idiot before me used the wrong rails and mangled the rack so the new rails didn't fit quite right.

As for sitting stuff ontop of other stuff, I've had to do that myself, but I did go back a week later and fix it up properly!

• Locked thread