Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
work was tossing out some 2950s and 2948Gs so I grabbed them, now to actually do something with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
If you are running windows you can always use http://tftpd32.jounin.net/ for a super easy tftp server. We use it a work to push IOS updates to some of our older switches. Super easy, just double click an exe and go. Close out the program when you're done

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
for a testing and learning lab only I don't see any reason not to just work on everything. Telling people not to try out t/ftp or anything else just because "it's 2013..." is short sighted. The point is to learn not conform to your one specific thought process.

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
So I totally agree that being able to install ESXi on a box isn't that impressive just like being able to install Windows 7 isn't either but I would like to know once you have it installed and a few VMs running what would you consider an "accomplishment" in regards to actual VMWare work? Is it getting them networked and talking to each other? I've been "deploying" VMs for a little while now but I'd like to get some more knowledge and working into what makes a good VMWare admin

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Internal USB is cheaper and easier to manage, I could rant about blades but I don't think anyone wants to hear it.

ABR man, Always, Be, Ranting

evol262 posted:

What makes a good VMware admin subject matter knowledge of:

SANs (FC and/or iSCSI), including best practices for multipathing, how to handle LUN masking and replication, etc
Scripting -- PowerCLI is the standard, but you can use anything you want
Systems Administration -- you're almost certainly going to end up hands-on with some of your VMs, and you should be comfortable in any OS running on your VMware environment, especially sysprep if you deal with Windows
Networking -- Know when to use link aggregation and when not to. Understand VLANs and how they work, as well as how to segment your network and troubleshoot problems.
Disaster recovery -- enough said; large VMware environments almost always have a DR site somewhere, and you should be familiar with scoping the required resources and setting up processes to ensure that a hot (or cold, depending on your environment) environment is ready
Performance tuning -- know how the VMware scheduler works, and when 2 vCPUs are actually better than one. Know how dense you can make your environment. Get a handle on how many IOPS you need.
Resiliency -- keeping critical services up through failures. Nobody wants your virtualized AD controllers to die.
VDI -- plays into performance tuning/density/systems admin
Imaging -- fading, but "golden images", templates, linked clones, and other ready-to-go images are still important.

Nobody is going to hand you a configured environment and say "plug in your servers, assign these addresses, and collect a paycheck". Realistically, you'll help design the environment and administer it on a day-to-day basis, probably including the guests. A good virtualization admin has (or has had in the past) a hand in every pot.

So where would you suggest starting? Any good beginner books to read up on? Like I said we do a very, very limited amount of virtualization right now but I find it fascinating and would love to dig into it more.

smokmnky fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 23, 2013

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009

Docjowles posted:

How many physical servers do you manage right now, and how many of those do you hope to virtualize? Do you already have any sort of SAN/central storage in place? Answers to questions like that will help posters decide if you need "loving Guru" or "Intro to VMware" level advice :)

So that's the thing, my specific job and department is a little weird. We have ~100 colos in 34 countries that run on what we would call cookie cutter boxes. They are the same everywhere and when one goes down we just put a new one in it's place. Our expansion/capacity or redundancy is just adding more of that type of server into the rack. We do web monitoring and metrics based off that specific hardware so turning it into a VM isn't possible because data consistency is what we sell and the whole point of the business. Basically if you get metrics from a location in Chicago and Beijing it's the same other than the actual network.

We run two esxi servers that vm our centos dns servers and a couple other support style machines that don't collect data like the main service machines.

/edit
That's two esxi servers per location with 9 vms loaded but only 4-5 running per server. They mirror each other in the VMs but we run different VMs on the A and B servers

smokmnky fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 23, 2013

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009

smokmnky posted:

So that's the thing, my specific job and department is a little weird. We have ~100 colos in 34 countries that run on what we would call cookie cutter boxes. They are the same everywhere and when one goes down we just put a new one in it's place. Our expansion/capacity or redundancy is just adding more of that type of server into the rack. We do web monitoring and metrics based off that specific hardware so turning it into a VM isn't possible because data consistency is what we sell and the whole point of the business. Basically if you get metrics from a location in Chicago and Beijing it's the same other than the actual network.

We run two esxi servers that vm our centos dns servers and a couple other support style machines that don't collect data like the main service machines.

/edit
That's two esxi servers per location with 9 vms loaded but only 4-5 running per server. They mirror each other in the VMs but we run different VMs on the A and B servers

think my post got swallowed up by QPZIL awesome graph. I'd love some feedback from Docjowles and Dilbert(Corvette)

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
Question for you guys, I'm using a mac and want to manage my ESXi (free) 5.5 host. What's the best way to do this? Since this is just a home lab I'm not looking to buy anything and using OS X I can't get vSphere Client and it seems like VMWare is pushing everyone to their web based management tools but I can't seem to find anything not related to vCenter.

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

You fusion IO a vpshere or run some windows box for vpshere C# client. Or just force the flash/html.

So basically "you can't"? I'm not sure what "force the flash/html" means.

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
Am I reading it wrong or is the web client only available with vCenter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smokmnky
Jan 29, 2009
Well I just went ahead and installed virtual box and a Win7 VM to run VSphere. Thanks for setting me straight

• Locked thread