Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

three posted:

I really like the shuttle enclosures. That CPU doesn't support the onboard graphics of the shuttle, though.

Also the motherboards are insanely cheap. I had a couple, and both died within 18 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

three posted:

This thread needs more cool parts lists like Corvettefisher posted. I don't want to spec out parts on my own. :ohdear:

What are you trying to achieve?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Moey posted:

I think that was a jab saying most people in here can spec a whitebox ESXi setup.

I'm completely incapable of detecting insincerity in any form on the internet. :v:

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
All in one host also has the upside of allowing you to do shared storage by way of freenas over the virtual network without having to spend the coin on an actual network that's fast enough to share out disk to multiple iscsi targets with several guest OSes on each.

Just raid 10 some 1TB drives, present them all to the NAS VM, break out however many LUNs you need and present those to the 2nd level hypervisors.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

evol262 posted:

I wasn't joking when I mentioned IPoIB. You can get a 24 port 10gb Infiniband switch, HBAs, and cables for less than an 8port 10GE switch.

I'm not at all familiar with infiniband offerings. Mind linking example products that you'd suggest?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

evol262 posted:

Go on eBay. Look for Mellanox HCAs (QLogic HCAs are also fine), CX4 cables, and an infiniband switch (QLogic, Mellanox, maybe Topspin or Cisco). Any PCIe HCA you see should be at least 10gb. You can get 10gb (8gb effectively, because it probably won't be FDR) for ~$25, and dual-port HCAs for $40. 10gb is old hat in the Infiniband world. It's actually that simple.

Neat, thanks. I'll check it out.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Okay, I'm finally ready to buy some cisco poo poo.

Here's what I'm thinking for ROUTE/SWITCH:

2 x 2801 ISR with sufficient RAM for 15.x
2 x 3640 for frame relay and mpls goodness
2 x 3560
2 x 2960
1 x ASA 5505, potentially a second one if I end up colocating this nonsense at work so I can just set up a site to site.
1 x cyclades TS-3000

Anything terribly wrong here?

Also, apparently I am meant to know some level of wireless and VOIP for SWITCH - what sorts of equipment might I want, or is it going to be minor enough that I can just get what I need from books?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

mala posted:

I've got a 2811 you can have

How much were you thinking? I'm at 78109 if you want to estimate shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

mala posted:

I'm in Australia so not sure how much shipping comes to, I am willing to give it for free though so should still come ahead minus shipping. As long as it gets a good home and helps you.

Sorry GOOCHY but I offered it to Comrade first, if he's not interested then the offer goes to you.

Looks like air mail will be about $130 - close to the price of a 2811, and more than the price of a 2801. :(

I really appreciate the offer, but I guess it doesn't make a lot of sense to ship it out here.

Maybe GOOCHY is closer to you?

• Locked thread