Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Not sure if this has been covered in this thread before but I was looking into buying some new hardware and setting up a home lab so I can finally study/practice for some certs. I was going to build a server with like 64GB of RAM but I noticed that vmware esxi only supports 32GB with the free license. What are my options here? I could likely run all my labs on one machine, that's no question, but I have other servers that I wanted to consolidate into one VM host. How much would it cost me to move up a license for 1 host? Or is there any other hypervisors out there that I could use? Scratch that, I'd rather use vmware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Ah perfect, yes I can wait for 5.5. Is there a release date?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

The trial mode does not have a limit, and you can "upgrade" your esxi to reset the timer. 5.5 also drops this limit.

If you run the 60 day trial you you most likely have 5.5 as an upgrade before then

Awesome, thanks.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

QPZIL posted:

BEHOLD MY POWER

We have a couple of those still in production.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

QPZIL posted:

Now I'm sad.

My bad, it's actually an 1850, not an 850. It's still a giant piece of poop though.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Thanks for that post, three. I'm considering those Shuttles now.

So is it generally recommended to go for a two host system rather than one big beefy host?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Comradephate posted:

without having to spend the coin on an actual network that's fast enough to share out disk to multiple iscsi targets with several guest OSes on each.

Can you elaborate on this?

I assumed a 1 Gig-E network with jumbo frames was fast enough and then using MPIO was a bonus. Do you need anything else? (I'm talking 3 hosts with about 15 guests + iSCSI SAN)

10 Gig-E and fiber channel are more for extreme enterprise/data center I thought.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

I'm a bit lost/confused. Where is your datastore if you're relying entirely on a virtual network on the host?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Ah that makes sense. I didn't even consider a virtual NAS.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Agrikk posted:

Mellanox ConnectX-2 HBA - $190

Where did you buy this from?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

So, I'm thinking about doing the following:

2 of the servers are for home lab, the third one will be where I consolidate my current poo poo to for home entertainment, etc.

The 5 DP NICs, 1 for each server, 1 for my NAS, 1 for my backup NAS.

One thing I really want to test is iSCSI MPIO over Gig-E since it's likely something we're going to implement at work in the near future.

Any problems with it?

edit: and the mic you can ignore.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 27, 2013

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

evol262 posted:

You already have a managed switch, right?

Yes. It's a lovely Dell 3348 but it'll do.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

evol262 posted:

Not gigabit, is it?

Ah right, it isn't. I have a netgear smart switch that is gig-e though. I could use that. I really only need vlan for MPIO, right?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

The cheaper ones were only $10 cheaper, didn't have free shipping and shipped from a third party.

Even Kingston is $150 for some reason.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

I pulled the trigger on it. Went with the Shuttles due to the smaller form factor. But thanks for the suggestion.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

three posted:

Baller setup. Let us know how it goes.

Edit: Heads up, the on-board NIC doesn't work with ESXi 5.5. VMware removed it. :(

However, there is a fix: http://www.bussink.ch/?p=1228

I actually ordered the Intel PRO/1000 Pt Dual Port Server Adapter with them.

Also, a heads up to anyone that wants to buy those from Amazon, they don't come with low profile brackets, but I emailed the seller (AMTECH) and they threw them in for $10 each (I only needed 2).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

I want to VT-d my graphics to an XBMC guest running on ESXi 5.5. After realizing I can't really do this with integrated Intel graphics, I'm looking to purchase a video card. This is the one I was considering: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161354 (must be PCI-E x1). I've never really done this before and I'm not even sure if this is going to work so before I order this, does anyone have any insight that I may not be aware of?

edit: Or if someone can tell me if it is possible to pass through the integrated Intel GPU to a vm guest? I tried to but the host crashed, I assume because the VMware Kernel is using it.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 15, 2013

• Locked thread