Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
My lab is a cluster of stuff I bribed the recyecler out of over the last year.

Im sure I will get "That's overkill you moron."
or
"That must kill your power bill."

I host all of my VM's on just two boxes that I payed a whopping 200$ for, so I can't complain.

A Sunfire x4600 w/ 64 GB ram and 8 AMD 8220 Dual cores. It's one of those machines that seems like its overkill but if you can wrangle the power management not terrible.

Lots of old servers are still viable for certain applications if you wrestle with power-on scheduling and usage times.

a QNAP 8 bay NAS w/ 6 TB Split between my archive and VM's.

I've been trying to get my hands on some larger Cisco hardware, but for switching I use an old AT-8000s that has plenty of life left in it.

Hook up with your local PC recycler. They usually are the repository for your cities servers, most of which are usually old crappy G3 series HP, and Pentium III Dell servers. Sometimes there is something worth getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
EDIT* belongs in the NAS thread

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 10, 2013

• Locked thread