Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

QPZIL posted:

Now that I have juniper routers set up in GNS3 and working, I might do a write up. I'm pretty impressed with JunOS so far.

I have only been working with Juniper stuff for about a month now, but absolutely love JunOS compaired to IOS. Currently working with a 2xEX4550 and 2xEX4200 in a virtual chassis along with 2xSRX240H at each of our main sites.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Mostly cisco Blade servers, as some don't have internal USB drives. Can't say I am a fan of using any mechanical pieces in hosts.

I don't ever get to deal with blades, but are internal USB slowing being replaced with internal SD cards?

Moey fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Due to some most likely price mistake yesterday, I ordered two more SSDs for my home esxi box. I'll now have 750gigs of non redundant fast storage to spin up labs with.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

SEKCobra posted:

The amazon uk one? I cashed in on that as well.

Oh yea. 250gb for 76ish is awesome.

Shipping time is like 5 weeks, so I will forget and it will be like Christmas when they arrive.

Edit:

Both orders canceled due to the price mistake. Rat farts.

Moey fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 2, 2013

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Comradephate posted:

What are you trying to achieve?

I think that was a jab saying most people in here can spec a whitebox ESXi setup.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

three posted:

There should be a battle for cheapest whitebox with 32GB of RAM.

Screw cheapest. I am halfway done with mine. It looks nice sitting alone in the corner and fills my needs (minus my cyber monday storage expansion)

I am currently running:
CPU: I7-3770
Memory: 4x8gb DDR3
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini
PSU: Can remember off the top of my head, some decent modular 4XXw
Boot: ESXi from thumb drive
Local datastore (primary): 250gb Samsung 840
Local datastore (leftover disks): Random drives ranging from 2tb down to laptop drives.
Add in card: 4x1gb Intel NIC

Future expansions:
Local datastore: more SSDs
Add in card: IBM M1015
Disks attached to M1015: 4x3tb

M1015 passed through to FreeNAS/NAS4Free/Something for ZFS
Non-Lab VMs backed up to ZFS array
ZFS used for media storage

I run a handful of lab and non lab machines on here.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Agrikk posted:

Oh god what am I about to do?

How big is your home lab where you need that much raw ssd space?

ZFS with some SSDs for L2ARC and ZIL?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So are there any good current guides out there for setting up GNS3 and Juniper Olive in an ESXi environment?

Would like to play around with them outside of work a little more.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Install it onto a USB drive, you can even install it back onto the usb you used to boot esxi on if installing via usb

Heh. This is what I did with every existing server we have that I rebuilt(no remote management was ever bought). Unetbootin. Boot from thumb drive. Install to thumb drive.

I really need to work in a bigger environment, or become less lazy and play with all the fun vSphere automation stuff.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

That is what I am shooting for with my next job. Where I moved to has 0 job market for IT stuff (outside of were I am working), but the living is great. :)

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Docjowles posted:

Not that I would either, mountains own.

Our plan was to move somewhere less "rural" within a few years, but this place is sucking me in. :)

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Agrikk posted:

The USB is inside the enclosure so you don't risk someone walking along and pulling it out.

:science: Once booted ESXi will keep running even if the thumbdrive is pulled. After boot everything runs from memory!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
No idea where to post this, but I figure I'll take a stab here (Juniper question).

So I have inherited networking at my job. I am going through and documenting the mess that our previous network guy left me. Going through our core switch clusters, I notice one site doesn't have a loopback address. From my reading, I thought Junos required this? Right now that site really isn't in production on that cluster (only one physical server running there), but it seems to be working?

Someone care to set me straight on this?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

JUNOS doesn't require an address on lo0, but having one certainly makes management life easier when it has one.

Can you expand a little more on this?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Thanks guys. Right now these cores are not fully implemented so our inter-site routing is being handled by the old cores (OSPF).

Poking around some more, he seemed to just put a random /32 address on each Lo0. Defiantly not routable anywhere on the network.

Are there any recommended books either of you would advise? Each of our "core clusters" consists of a virtual chassis of 2 x SRX240 and another virtual chassis of 2 x EX4550 and 2 x EX4200.

Edit: Magoo. Just started looking at what he was doing in the firewalls. I am going to have a lot of work ahead of me.

Moey fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 8, 2014

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Book wise, you'll want to get JUNOS Enterprise Routing and JUNOS Enterprise Switching, both via O'Reilly. Those will cover 90% of what you'll be doing with the EX line. Depending on what role you are going to put the SRX's into, flow based vs packet based, there will be some overlap. There is also a JUNOS SRX Series book by O'Reilly as well, but I have not read it, the previous two I have when I was prep'ing for JNCIE.

JUNOS Cookbook is decent, but also look at all the free Juniper: Day One books via https://www.juniper.net they are packed with good info and tips.

Thanks, I'll grab those two books. Should keep me busy for a little while. I have been working through the Day One books already.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I am personally getting by fine with running consumer hardware and everything virtualized.

Do yourself a favor and skip the K version of the processor. They don't support VT-D.

Any reason why you are not going with your own case/mobo and getting a Haswell processor?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

likw1d posted:

Thanks for the input, I'll skip the k versions of the processors. I have been pricing so many different hardware configs that I completely forgot about the Haswell processors. :doh:

I am running a similar setup that runs all my lab stuff as well as my home servers (web, ftp, file/media). It is a micro-atx board, 3770, 32gb memory and a slew of disks/250gb SSD. I have it all shoved into a Fractal Define Mini. I also have a quad port Intel NIC that is sitting in there unused as well.

Next upgrade is to buy an IBM M1015 and a bunch of new big slow disks for media storage.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

likw1d posted:

I tweaked what I have in my newegg shopping cart based on Moey's recommendations and have the following:

Looking good. That RAM seems drat expensive as I am running 32gb and didn't pay too much more for it (looked for sales). I wouldn't worry about the 1600 timing.

If you are interested at all, I have a Lian-Li PC-Q08B case that is collecting dust since I upgraded from Mini-ITX to Micro-ATX (I wanted to upgrade from 16gb to 32gb of memory). Shoot me a PM (you would need to switch to a Mini-ITX board).

Dilbert runs his desktop as his VM host, which is what he is getting at. I have no need for a desktop at home, so it just runs headless.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Wait I do?

I have a 48GB/8core/2nic/supermicro setup for myself.

And 4 DL385 Gen8's 2x16c 2.6ghz/384GB ram/400GB SSD/12nic/DP FC 8Gbps, FAS 2240, PS4000 and par of SG 300's backed with 3750's + a bunch of G6's/G5's in my other lab

Well farts, didn't mean to speak for you.

Last I saw you post it was the AMD setup/primary desktop/VMware Workstation rig. I like the concept of having older enterprise stuff at home, but have no need for the extra space/heat/power/cooling that it would give me. I have stacks of similar gear at work I could screw with, but I have not exceeded the limits of a single box at home (no Cisco prep).

I cannot imaging what your power bill is running that stuff.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

jre posted:

I am going to upgrade my desktop machine in order to run nested ESXi so I can get labs practice in.

I was thinking of going for

Intel Core i5 4570 3.20GHz Socket 1150 6MB
MSI B85M-G43
16G 1600 ram
Samsung EVO ssd

Is there anything there that's obviously incompatible with esxi ?

Are you doing a bare metal ESXi install, or going through Workstation?

On bare metal installs, the NIC is usually the snag. You can inject your drivers into your ESXi install, or if you want, throw in an Intel NIC.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

mutantbandgeek posted:

Maybe our shuttles can play together when they get older, or make babies? I got 5 DP intel nics for $120 on ebay. Gonna put everything on its own nic (vmotion, FT, etc) but I'm gonna run out of ports on my switch. Any suggestions?

Do you have a managed switch? If so, setup converged networking/QoS.

I have a box of DP Intel NICs sitting on the desk behind me, probably like 25 of them. I need to figure out what I am allowed to do with them.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

mutantbandgeek posted:

Won't converged networking/QoS just separate the traffic? I have 14 physical wires to connect.

Lets say you have 2 ports per host. It will allow you to use each port to run multiple things.

Ex:

VLAN 10 - Management Traffic
VLAN 20 - Guest VM Traffic
VLAN 30 - iSCSI Traffic
VLAN 40 - vMotion Traffic

Then if one of your ports goes down, traffic will still flow over the other. This going to two separate switches gives you redundancy there too (out of scope for your lab).

In my production environment I am running 2x10GbE and 2x1GbE connections per host. The two 10GbE connections run management traffic, guest traffic and iSCSI. The two 1GbE connections are running vMotion traffic.

Edit: Looks like that Netgear smartswitch does support VLANS.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Unless you don't NIOC why not run management off the 2 1Gbe? I mean management is fine on a 100mpbs, your vMotion would benefit more off the 10GbE.

No NIOC. vSphere Standard. I could do that for our View hosts though.

So far vMotion on the two 1GbE connections has been fine. Takes 5-10 minutes to evacuate a full view host. Our vSphere standard hosts only take a few minutes.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Huh?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-EXPI9...=item2a3b9cf297

Edit: Old school PCI?

Moey fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 4, 2014

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Water cooling will still make noise.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

SEKCobra posted:

Over 200 dollars for a 1TB HDD? What's the deal here?

59.99 each, quantity 4.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Looking to build a combo gaming/lab computer. Mostly interested in getting more experience with Vmware so that I can ultimately take the VCP exam. Thankfully I got the Stanley class out of the way already. I also do a lot of SCCM work and thought it would be nice to set up 2012 VM's running SCCM and SQL and then have a couple Win 7/8/10 computers that I could test deployments on and what not. All that said I already have a bunch of hard drives squared away. Would this motherboard/chipset work with ESXI 6?

Anything I'm missing, would I want more NICs or RAM?

You mention combo gaming/lab computer, but them mention ESXi.....

The route to go for both gaming and labbing would be a beefed up gaming PC with VMware Workstation (or Virtualbox) installed on it to run your VMs. I have 32gb in my home server (running ESXi) and it is fine for my needs. I normally run a handful of nested ESXi hosts, vCenter, a few servers and a few clients. I also have a few VMs that I use for "home production".

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

kiwid posted:

What do you guys think of this build before I buy it? I wanted more than 32GB of RAM in 1 host.

Do you have a bunch of normal drives that you are going to use as well? No need for the raid controller if not.

Also that is a pretty beefy home build. For my stuff, I have found that ram would be my limiting factor (not cpu).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What if you install ESXi to a USB drive and put all the VMs on a NAS datastore?

When you want to game, you just Boot up normally, but when it's lab time, you insert the USB and grab a laptop for management.

That would work as well. I have read about people dual booting ESXi and other OSes, but I remember it being a pain.

From his post, it looks like he would just have a single machine, and not an extra NAS. So maybe 1 SSD for a Windows install, then boot from USB for ESXi with the second SSD as the datastore. Just don't let Windows gently caress with your datastore drive.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

kiwid posted:

Is vSphere 6.0 compatible with the AHCI controller on the SuperMicro Mobos? If so, I could direct passthrough each device to a freenas VM, right?

The RAID controller was basically to insure compatibility, but no, I do not plan on throwing in a bunch of drives. Just the 2 SSDs. I plan to put them in either a JBOD or RAID-0 config (I don't care about data loss).

From some googling, the C612 will work fine with ESXi, but you cannot pass the entire device through to a VM. If you are just using those SSDs for datastores, no need for the FreeNAS VM.

I have a similar build, but a lot less badass. Thumbdrive boot into ESXi, a few SSDs for local datastores, then an IBM M1015 passed through to a FreeNAS VM with a bunch of big disks for media storage.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

kiwid posted:

Why is this?

I really wanted to play around with giving FreeNAS the direct device and creating iscsi targets for other vms rather than doing the vmware direct datastores.

That Xeon has VT-d, so would I be able to direct pass the block SSD device to a freenas host then? The other guy is saying no?

I found a blog who was testing that motherboard with ESXi and mentioned that.

If you want to test with shared targets without passthrough, setup a guest VM with some additional VMDKs and share it out that way. You could have a FreeNAS VM with an additional vmdk attached, then setup an iSCSI/NFS target.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Do you really want rack mount servers for your home lab?

Get a small wall mounted cabinet for your rack mounted network gear/patch panels. Have a little shelf below it for a small UPS and a tower or two for whitebox servers? Your power bill will thank you.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

rafikki posted:

Any suggestion for a NUC or NUC sized device with two NICs that I can put ESXI on? I want to spin up a palo alto VM and use it in my home network, but I'm not going to go the full 1U server or anything. A NUC would be great, but I know things like NICs can be touchy with ESXI and wondered if anyone here had set up something similar.

I have read of people using a USB 3.0 gigabit NIC with ESXi for a while, never done it myself though (I have loaded drivers this way though).

http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2016/11/usb-3-0-ethernet-adapter-nic-driver-for-esxi-6-5.html

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Well crap. The two RS2416RP+ units I got at work are going down.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Docjowles posted:

If you have never gotten hands on with rack mount gear ever, and won't have the chance at work, there is some value in that I guess. Take the thing apart and put it back together a few times. Marvel at how cool and good hot swappable parts are. I just ripped out a hard drive or PSU, and the thing stayed up!!

Then check your power bill, or realize you can hear the thing running from across the street. Resell it on eBay and build a bigger lab out of desktops or NUCs.

Is there an IT work room/lovely closet at your office where you could stash the thing and mess with it, instead of having to run it in your home?

This.

$20 for an R710 is a hot deal. Buy and resell, then build a lab out of NUCs or whatever.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I have setup some EX 2200-C doing OSPF for testing, just got a warning on commit about the license, still​ functioned fine.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I said this earlier about Juniper gear, unsure why you would care for home use.

Juniper posted:

In fact, all EX licenses are soft enforced, which means that they are not actually needed to run the features.

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB24321

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

H2SO4 posted:

Yeah, I remember. I'd definitely be down for expanding into juniper gear since I've heard people love it but I want to have at least a little Cisco so that I can reinforce the CCNP stuff in my lab instead of just running through virtual labs.

Ah yes, then carry on.

• Locked thread