Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Moey posted:

Due to some most likely price mistake yesterday, I ordered two more SSDs for my home esxi box. I'll now have 750gigs of non redundant fast storage to spin up labs with.

The amazon uk one? I cashed in on that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Moey posted:

Oh yea. 250gb for 76ish is awesome.

Shipping time is like 5 weeks, so I will forget and it will be like Christmas when they arrive.

Edit:

Both orders canceled due to the price mistake. Rat farts.

Same here, this one seemed like it might go through, too bad :(

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Does anyone know hwere to get hardware in the EU? My boss promised me some of the servers falling out of the inventory, but he isn't following up on it, so I am wondering where I could buy some old stuff.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Two different physical locations is like a prime example of seperate subnets. If you move to the other area you have to change ip. Just like irl.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

sudo rm -rf posted:

So I'd like to get a rack. Any decent smalls ones that I can put on top of my desk? Currently have 6U worth of equipment, would probably need at least 9U or maybe even 12U to make sure I have room for expansion.

IKEA Lackrack - available in two depths and costs around 5 $

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I have two 560 twin frozrs without the plastic fans because they died. What to do?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Over 200 dollars for a 1TB HDD? What's the deal here?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Moey posted:

59.99 each, quantity 4.

Woops, completely missed that, now it all makes sense.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Docjowles posted:

Or maybe targeting yourself with metasploit?

Is there a version of metasploit that is somewhere as usable as dSploit? The software from metasploit.com is very uncomfortable to use.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

devmd01 posted:

And for virtualization, if your work has some older decommissioned servers (and maybe even storage!) lying around, talk to your boss and see if you can use them for lab use "after hours." Better yet, run it in your company's datacenter so they're paying for the electricity. Why spend money if you don't have to? :getin:

And have the network team on your rear end because you are the greatest liability ever? Better not.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

devmd01 posted:

lol just lol, not everyone works in a megacorp, I can throw a pen across the room and hit our network person. I can tear down and rebuild our production vmware cluster all day long; i'm not going to break anything on the network by running a separate vmware cluster on a completely different network segment, calm the gently caress down.

Well I am the network guy in a small place now, and I definitely wouldn't let anyone experiment in our data center.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The only problem with letting someone set up a lab environment is that it uses company resources in the way of datacenter rack, power and cooling. If you're concerned about it from a network standpoint then your network guys aren't on top of things.

You're not gonna run a lab without any internet access. The only internet access in the data center is gonna be the companies.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

NippleFloss posted:

Of course you can. Especially if all you're doing is setting up GNS3 or packet tracer or whatever. If you really want to lock it down then you just force them to use a jump box to move software into the lab, or even make them put it on removable media.

Of course, even with Internet access a virtual lab running a few server OSes is still a much smaller attack surface than your user workstations.

Meh, maybe I'm paranoid from hospital work, but I wouldn't allow that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
So I took a look at the config and your first mistake is having Port 3 tagged & untagged. Really you should just make it a trunkport (if netgear lets you) or at least have it tagged for all vlans that go into the vm host. The VM host then needs to put the two virtual adapters (plugged into virtual switch) on the two vlans respectively.

E:
I couldn't quite figure out the PVID menu, but you shouldn't have to set anything there.

• Locked thread