Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to set up a lab for the CCNA and MCSA at work and start coming in on the weekends to study. What sort of hardware is going to benefit me most, or is it possible to use something like an old ProCurve I have lying around and GNS3 to full effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a good GNS3 CCNA/CCNP workbook? All of the prep books are either really theory heavy or not geared specifically to GNS3, and I find that Lammle's book really dumbs everything down while the Odom book drags everything out way too much.

I'd like a step-by-step exercise guide for setting up every lab in the syllabus specifically in GNS3 and then separately a book that is just theory. Any recommendations?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I may have asked this before: is there really a lot to learn for the MCSE or is it just that they make the test a bunch of bullshit to gently caress with you? What's a reasonable amount of time to allot for studying for the MCSA and MCSE Server Infrastructure? What are the best resources?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Thanks Ants posted:

Your DS415+ is probably going to stop working shortly anyway:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/06/cisco_intel_decline_to_link_product_warning_to_faulty_chip/

Make sure you have backups / a warranty / escape plan.

Well, at least it's an excuse to divest ourselves of some of these crappy Fisher-Price NASes.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Force10 S4810P. 48 copper 1gig and four QSFP+ that can be adapted down to 16x SFP+. I've gotten them as cheap as $1200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Docjowles posted:

Not that it matters for a home lab, but has Force10 stuff gotten better? At my last job we had some old Force10 gear and it was Real Bad. Lots of weird bugs, and features that did not behave at all how the documentation indicated they should. Granted this was like 2014 and the devices were already 3-4 years old at that time, so I'd hope they've improved somewhat in the last 7 years. We ripped them all out for Juniper QFX series and never looked back.

They got bought by Dell. I have original Force10 stuff from before the acquisition that's fine. The S4810 is one of those. Stuff like the S60 and S25 are a little suspect especially at this point. The new Dell switches are pretty serviceable (N3048).

• Locked thread