Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Sepist posted:

While we're on the topic of network labs, I'll plug my own work here.

Currently I'm building up http://routeandswit.ch/ , it's one-click virtual labs for CCNA, CCNP, and CCIE topics that you can troubleshoot without having to install any hardware emulation software, just use your favorite telnet client to connect to our hosted devices.

While it's not exactly aimed at people studying for certs, it will be useful for those wanting to get exposure to troubleshooting real network issues without having to come up with your own scenarios that you already know the answer to, plus it will be updated frequently with more labs as I come up with more evil ways to break a network.

You need to register on the site to see the "start lab" button, otherwise you can only access the topologies of each scenario and their troubleshooting task list.

Wow, this is exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for since beginning to study for the CCNA. I wish there were a lot more labs, though. Do you have more in the works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

So, I have a dumb problem I've been banging my head against all day.

I have an Optiplex 960 sitting idle here at work. I want to ESXi it up and start labbing on it. I grab a spare USB stick. Install to that USB stick goes well. First boot from that USB stick goes well. From the second boot on, though, it tells me bank5 and bank6 are hosed up and there's no hypervisor.

It seems like there's some caching of configs it's trying to do after its first boot that's loving up and pointing it at the wrong boot information. I assume this is because I'm running from a USB stick and it's getting confused, but I'm not sure.

Anybody else experienced this before? Know a fix? I really don't want to have to dig around and put in another hard drive.

edit-v2: Turns out Windows 10 may have been attempting to automount and gently caress around with the boot banks.

:negative:

ErIog fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 18, 2016

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Walked posted:

That said, beware that unless you go USB, youre stuck with a single NIC

I would say more like, "be aware," and I wouldn't call that a huge deal. A second NIC seems like it would be handy for some use cases for a home lab, but it's not like you can't work around it with software networking.

For instance, having direct access to the internal VM network from a client can easily be accomplished by just tunneling in. pfsense makes all this stuff pretty easy even if you don't know a lot about networking.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 25, 2017

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Smashing Link posted:

Is there a particular reason that this thread and the other one (VM thread) are so focused on VMware/ESXi as opposed to KVM? Total newbie asking.

ESXi is incredibly easy to get up and running and has a pretty okay user interface for interacting with stuff. KVM can have that as well, but the experience I've had with it in a production setting has been that you can get stuck on weird small issues.

I use KVM in production and ESXi for protototyping. It's trivial to create/destroy/snapshot in the UI. It's easy to back up and trivial to back up the config of the system itself. It runs from an SD card or USB stick so dual booting it is very easy. If I got used to KVM then I bet a lot of these things would be true there too, but ESXi just removes a lot of the hassle.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

That's true, and why I was trying to caveat that my only experience with KVM has been in production (where we only use virsh for management). You are correct. I should have specified that I find virsh clunky rather than KVM itself.

• Locked thread