Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walked
Apr 14, 2003

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I have a NUC that I run 6-ish VMs on at a time but it can be hard to keep it in the $600 price range once it's all kitted out.

Really nice box, though, I'm pretty happy with it.

Same; its my "off-cluster" lab box.

That said, be sure it's a model with the drivers that match your OS. I know the 5i5MYHE has Server 2012 R2 drivers; some models do not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

bigger thicker loads posted:

I've used a couple NUCs in the past, I didn't think they would be powerful enough to run multiple VMs. I'll take a look at those, thanks!

An SSD makes the biggest difference, followed closely by maxing out RAM.

CPU is rarely a limiting factor on VMs these days (depending on your workload of course).

That said, beware that unless you go USB, youre stuck with a single NIC

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

big money big clit posted:

The new 6th gen NUCs have the benefit of being supported out of the box by vanilla ESXi without having to build your own custom image to get nics working.

You can do 32GB of memory, and M.2 SSD and a 2.5" drive, so you can get a decent amount of storage and memory in there, and they are dead quiet and put out very minimal heat.

:negative:

Now I want to upgrade my perfectly fine 5th gen NUC for literally no real reason.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

ErIog posted:

I would say more like, "be aware," and I wouldn't call that a huge deal. A second NIC seems like it would be handy for some use cases, but it's not like you can't work around it with software networking.

For instance, having direct access to the internal VM network from a client can easily be accomplished by just tunneling in. pfsense makes all this stuff pretty easy even if you don't know a lot about networking.

Oh I agree; I wasnt trying to get at the negative connotation of "beware" but rather just making sure they're aware.

It's never been an issue; sometimes I wish I had a second NIC for SAN traffic, but thats a pretty edge-case scenario I think.

• Locked thread