Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

evol262 posted:

Linux. You absolutely do not need WIndows for DNS, DHCP, LDAP, and Kerberos (though you obviously do for AD), but hey.

Ahem, Samba4 :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I suppose I should clarify that you don't need Windows Server in your environment to do AD if you use Samba4. You're correct; you still need a Windows client with the server management tools to administer the Samba4 Domain Controller. Then again, what's the point of using AD if you don't have a Windows client to manage in the first place?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Agrikk posted:

Someone correct me, but I think a virtual network operates at 10gb speeds?

The VNICs will show "10Gbps" as the connection speed, but the actual transfer speed is limited by how fast the hardware can do a memory copy.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Unless you're running performance simulations in your lab on hardware that's nearly identical to the production hardware, is there anything you can't do conceptually with GigE that you can with 10GigE?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

What seems to be the problem you're experiencing? I've never had trouble setting up pfSense for basic connectivity, and have even used it for VPNs and load balancing in production environments.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

If you don't care about gigabit and just want some Procurve CLI experience, the 10/100 (+ Gig uplink) 2510s (J9019B) are pretty cheap on eBay, etc. The Gig 2510s (J9279A) are still a few hundred used, but they're still an excellent value if you want a nice L2 managed switch.

Edit: Wow, I might have to pick up a 2824...

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 10, 2013

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Moey posted:

Can you expand a little more on this?

Assuming you're running an IGP like OSPF or RIP (lol), you'll always be able to reach the loopback address as long as one interface on the router is up, rather than having to try to get in using each interface address until you find one that works.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Generally however I don't do backups of most of my (home) lab because I want poo poo to break so I can rebuilt it or diagnose cause/effect.

It's also a good idea to practice configuring and restoring backups, since that's what you'll be doing in a production environment...right? I don't see any reason you couldn't diagnose a failure in your lab setup before rebuilding and/or restoring to get the best of both worlds.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I can confirm that the Keyspan USA-19HS adapter works under Windows 8. I also have a FTDI-based adapter which works great too.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Wild Bill posted:

I'm looking to stand up a small virtual environment at home as a test bed for various operating systems/services/tools while I pursue some certifications.

I recommend checking out Dilbert As gently caress's presentation about setting up a virtualized lab before buying anything. You can probably start out with a copy of VMware Workstation on your existing desktop and shell out for a server once you hit the limits of your existing hardware.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Internet, I've priced a new lab box with 64gb of RAM, Core i7-4820K, 5 2TB HDDs* (4 for RAID 10, 1 for spare), for $1634.41. Do I need this?

* I was closer than you want to know to rolling my own iSCSI SAN...

What do you want to do with it? I'd err on the side of "no."

SamDabbers posted:

I recommend checking out Dilbert As gently caress's presentation about setting up a virtualized lab before buying anything. You can probably start out with a copy of VMware Workstation on your existing desktop and shell out for a server once you hit the limits of your existing hardware.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Will Hyper-V even run in VirtualBox? IIRC it requires VT-x/AMD-V to be available, and VirtualBox doesn't currently support emulation/passthrough of those instructions like VMware does.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Frag Viper posted:

Dicking around with a Catalyst 2960 switch, I hosed up by deleting the flash, which also included the IOS image. I used Xmodem to copy a new version over, ran the boot command and loaded the new IOS image. It loads fine and I'm back on track, but when the router is first booting up, its still looking for the default IOS flash file and will say

error loading "flash:c2960-lanbase-mz.122-25.SEE3/c2960-lanbase-mz.122-25.SEE3.bin"

It will then boot the other IOS image I copied over to flash fine. Is there a way to set one image to be the default image that's loaded first? Seeing the "error loading" message bothers me.

This article seems to be relevant.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Rescued a handful of 300GB SAS 10k 2.5" drives from a server that was heavily upgraded recently. Anyone have any leads on a cheap SAS controller that has ESXi VIBs? I'm hoping for under a hundred bucks but I dunno if that's feasible.

The IBM M1015/M1115 (rebadged LSI SAS2008) can be found under $100 on eBay.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Does anyone have suggestions on software for generating "suspicious" traffic for something like Cisco ASA/CCNA Security labbing? Command line stuff is fine, and actually might be preferable, since I'd probably be running this on a VirtualBox instance which works better with light-weight stuff.

How about something like tcpreplay?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

For the same money you could get a Lenovo TS140 with an E3-1225v3 and 4GB RAM; just add up to 3 drives. There's also an i3-4130 version for $220 if you don't need quad cores.

The TS440 is similar but has hot swap bays and can hold up to eight 3.5" drives, but you'll need to add a suitable HBA (e.g. IBM M1015) and drive sleds.

Something to think about, anyway. :)

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So I already have a case/power supply on hand and wanted to build an all in one gaming/lab machine. Would I be OK putting something together like this and just throwing in a decent mid-level graphics card? Also has anyone used Microsofts technet virtual labs? Are they any good? I've been thinking about just buying lab time online by some cloud provider so I can start working on stuff ASAP instead of waiting to get a machine built.

If only DAF wasn't probated! He was actually a big help in this thread.

I'd just build a nice gaming PC and throw some extra RAM in it so you can run more VMs. Head over to the parts picking thread and they'll steer you the right way (i.e. not AMD).

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I'd check out a Lenovo TS440. Just know that the TS440 doesn't come with drive caddies if you want to add your own drives, rather than get them from Lenovo at a premium. The optional RAID 500 card is a rebranded LSI 92xx series, which is supported by just about everything, including ESXi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The Lenovo TS140 seems to be a thread favorite. There's also the HP ML10 v2 at a similar price point, and you can get either of them with a dual core hyperthreaded i3 or a quad core Xeon.

• Locked thread