Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
If you are planning on making a network lab specfically for networking, then creating an NMS server is a good first step, in the enterprise as well as the lab.

FTP/TFTP Server
Logging Server
NTP Server
DHCP/DNS/etc.
Management Portal Server/Console Server

All of these can and should be the same device and basically think of it as the entry point to your network. You will consolidate all logs, backup all images, and use it as your one stop shop for management and learning. Also just learning how to correctly setup and deploy all of those features/services is a great way to start to get into the more interesting parts of IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm talking specifically about a lab setup. If you are doing your CCNA and you are planning on going further, then learning what all those services are and how to deploy them is a good idea.

Obviously in the enterprise many of those services will be separate especially as the environment scales. For a home lab, all of that stuff can be deployed on a single router.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

evol262 posted:

I don't see a reason why these services wouldn't be separate in an environment predicated on virtualization.

Totally a possibility. Though then you run into the issue of access to your lab being dependent upon the function of the lab. I'd prefer the ability to completely isolate the lab devices, but still being able to access each one. So for example even though I'm running vsphere I wouldn't want to manage vsphere through a VM hosted on vsphere.

So for my lab since it's networking focused. I have all my network services plus console server on a single device I can access on my home network. by telneting to 10.1.10.254 and from there gong everywhere I need.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Just :filez: it doesn't matter.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
IOS, JunOS, FoS, NX-OS, it doesn't really matter after about a week.

Also for a fun JunOS excercise assign 24 ports to a vlan, then assign 12 of those ports to a different vlan.

How many strokes did that take?

• Locked thread