Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Aren't the IOS images readily available from Cisco now that the licensing has moved to unlock keys stored in NVRAM? I didn't have to have valid SMARTnet a couple of months back when I got the IOS image for a 1941 that has somehow found its way to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I cannot get my head around subnetting and it would suck to fail the CCNA (taking v2 next week) because I need to know how to do something on paper that I currently use Google for.

Has anyone got any resources that worked for them to get this to click?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you want VLAN 30 (for example) untagged on a port, and VLANs 40 and 50 tagged then in Netgear land you need to change the port PVID to 30 as well or weird things happen.

I hate cheap switches because they have weird quirks like this, poor documentation and a requirement to use a web browser.

Edit: Just saw the photos, the switch config looks right. Where you've gone wrong is tagging VLAN 5 onto the NUC port - that's the untagged VLAN so that pfSense NIC should be in the same virtual switch as the other VMs.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 17, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also number your VLANs in some sort of resemblance to the subnet (third octet or whatever). No technical reason but it helps with readability.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Welp, tried to squeeze in the CCNA v2 before it became unavailable and bollocksed it up. Did well on switching, dynamic routing, access list stuff and hosed up on the netflow commands and an IP addressing question.

Oh well, will take a break and see what the v3 syllabus is like.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah it was the combined

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I might have missed previous posts on this, but what is your motivation for your home lab? Having paid for the VMware evaluation licensing I'd be pretty keen to get some exposure to the elements that make up the VMware stack, which would drive me towards deploying VSAN even if the performance in my home lab wasn't going to match that of whatever I was currently running.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's just to boot from, SanDisk have a range of Industrial SD cards that are designed to be written to a ton.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

VLANs shouldn't be visible to the end devices assuming they have virtual NICs on and removing the VLAN tag is done by the hypervisor.

Have you tried putting the adapter in Virtualbox into promiscuous mode?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Your DS415+ is probably going to stop working shortly anyway:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/06/cisco_intel_decline_to_link_product_warning_to_faulty_chip/

Make sure you have backups / a warranty / escape plan.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there a way to run a DHCP server that only answers to specific MAC addresses? So your lab stuff all gets an address from that, everything else gets ignored by your lab DHCP and picks it up from your home router.

Edit: This only works if the lab DHCP can answer quicker than the home router, or there's no guarantee of keeping the lab stuff in the lab.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 21, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What L3 features do you need? 4x 10Gb and 48x 1Gb switches are pretty common now, there must be a specific Broadcom chipset and reference design that makes them easy to do and dirt cheap.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you hate HP?

https://www.hpe.com/us/en/product-catalog/networking/networking-switches/pip.overview.networking-switches.1008995546.html

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it needs a license then can you not just buy it with the license? Am I missing something obvious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ah OK, sorry it wasn't clear that you wanted it used. I think you might struggle slightly because the integrated SFP+ stuff hasn't quite been around long enough for people to be getting rid of.

What pricing are you seeing for 3750X with IP Services and the SFP+ module card? Junos is much nicer than the classic IOS that will run though.

• Locked thread