Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I have a dell cs24-ty with dual x5570 2.93 ghz processors and 32gb of ram which I paid like $300 for. Its been a lot of fun but I need to upgrade the a storage. Also one day I want to colocate it so I can run game servers from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I think it would be cool to get one of those C6100s with 8x six core L5639s but only because all those cores...

I bought a $300 C1100 with dual X5570s at 2.93ghz (a little faster then the L5520s) and it has been a great lab pc but that's also $300 I could have put towards getting a haswell based server. Like that's the cost of an e3-1270v3. Don't get me wrong, I like my dual X5570 setup but it definitely is old. I kind of want to collocate it at one of those $50 a month cheap places and use it to host something but meh.

Also good luck if you ever want to collocate a c1100, they use 1-2 amps of power alone which will make it totally not worth it. I heard the sandy bridges use like half an amp for a single processor setup in a typical 1u setup.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

i like my c1100, its not bad its just super loud and they suck down power because of dual processors. like $300 vs $800 for a new e3 system, if you are just messing around the c1100 is fine for the money. they are still fast enough for most home lab uses.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I would love to build a home datacenter and get the fastest FIOS and xfinity business plans. Get solar panels and a battery system and I could have a totally solar powered micro datacenter.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

What cisco routers and switches are cheap but not super out of date?

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Anyone have any suggestions on getting a cheap enclosure or rack to use for my home lab? I want to be able to mount some cisco gear and my dell cs24-ty and my low power file server? I was also going to build or buy another server to use as a NAS and I want to complete the rack with a rack mounted UPS. I just am trying to avoid spending a ton of money on a rack or enclosure and I am not even sure what kind I need.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Am I stupid for wanting a Dell C6100? I feel like out of all the cheap servers, for a home lab you really cant beat it when you can get one for as cheap as $650. It gives you the option of using 1-4 nodes which would be really helpful and they are decently powerful. The only downside for me is the power usage, I heard it uses 300-600 watts depending on load. I am almost tempted to buy one and colocate it with one of those bargain places and they said I could include a switch as long as it is under 4ul. However I am pretty sure that it would use more then 2amps on a 208v line.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Bought another cheap server from ebay. Its a supermicro 1u server with a xeon L5520 and 6gb of ram for $160. Not sure if its a good deal but I just needed a second machine with a CPU that supports virtualization to learn about various things.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

is freeNAS a viable thing to set up with vcenter to use for datastores? Also is it possible to get a SAN from ebay for not a ton of money. I just want something that supports sata drives.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I was running freeNAS on its own computer and it seems to be good so far. I was just wondering how building a basic PC would be versus buying a synology box. If I can build a PC for $200 + the raid card, that is pretty much the same as the synology box, it would be pretty awesome.

Also I saw these cheap 4gb fiber cards http://www.stikc.com/QLogic-QLE2460-HBA-Adapter-PF323

Would that be a cheap way of getting speeds of greater then 1gbit for my home lab setup? From what I read about doing any sort of high availability virtual machine setup, 1gbit ethernet is just not fast enough.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

My plan was to get four intel ssds and a cheap raid card and put them in my supermicro with a l5520 and 6gb of ram. I was going to use it as a cheap alternative ro a san.

Also is freenas reliable enough for small business?like under 50 users or 6-8tb of storage.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Welp I won a server on ebay that I bid on and forgot about

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Are there any opteron processors that I should keep an eye out on ebay for?

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Are cisco 2821s still decent for a home lab? Also what is a decent cheap cisco gigabit switch? I am looking at buying three routers and three switches to make a small cisco home lab.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Its partially for labbing but I do have like 5 servers in my lab and want at least gigabit so I can do cool things with them. Going to check out those models you listed.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Anyone have any experience with Cisco 6500 switches? I see the chassis selling for $200ish on ebay and the various cards going from $10-$50. It would be cool to buy one and have a big rear end switch to play around with. Plus it would make my rack look even more cool.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Whats the deal with GBICs? I read about how they function and what their purpose is but I am mainly wondering which ones are actually used? Half the 'recommended lab' guides are super outdated. I have a few servers in my home lab and I was thinking of getting some sort of fiber GBIC and then getting a card like http://www.stikc.com/Intel-PRO-10000-SR-Single-PCI-E-10Gb-Fibre-Network-Adapter-RN219 and seeing if I can make it work together. I don't actually know anything about fiber but I would like to learn how it works. I bought a cisco switch with two GBIC ports and I see that the modules are fairly cheap.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I did buy a switch and it came with two Cisco 30-0759-01 Base-SX transceivers but I feel like those were tossed in the auction to make it seem better. Definitely going to check out those gbics and maybe buy a few off of ebay. They are going for really cheap on there. I mainly just want to spend a little money to learn about the hardware side of fiber networks just in case I see it in the field and so I don't look even more dumb.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Thank you for linking that PDF :) Its really helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Yea ebay servers are the reason I have like 7 servers. Its a real problem I swear!

• Locked thread