Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Is it possible to lab Nagios? I'd like to be able to claim some sort of monitoring experience when I try and get a new job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

evol262 posted:

Sure. Or Zabbix. Or whatever. But please don't put "I had 5 hosts monitored on my home network" as monitoring experience.

E:

WHen I see experience on someone's resume, I assume that means "at scale, in a production environment". You're never going to watch a Nagios host choke because of database problems at home. Or see flapping alarms because there's packet loss on a trans-continental link. Or set up slave servers in different DCs to report to a master. Or... This is the same reason why shade tree "Linux experience" guys who've installed Ubuntu at home and used it for 2 months to get "Linux experience" that they put on their resume don't look good. By all means, tell interviewers you've touched Nagios. If they ask. Don't put it on your resume if you've only touched it in a home lab.

Thanks for your advice, I definitely wouldn't be putting that as a bullet point on my resume. I'd just like to be able to say I have at least a passing familiarity with it since I don't have the opportunity to actually use it in my current position.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I'm trying to create a topology in GNS3 to practice off of, can anyone suggest a good real-world example to model this off of? I don't want to practice off of a something I'll never actually see in production.

• Locked thread