Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Powercrazy posted:

Also for a fun JunOS excercise assign 24 ports to a vlan, then assign 12 of those ports to a different vlan.

How many strokes did that take?

It's a pain in the rear end, just like dealing with port security is handled in a different stanza, but I'll take those extra strokes any day in order to have things like nested prefix-lists that can be used everywhere in the config and apply-paths to name a few.

The switching side of JunOS is still evolving and I've made numerous feature requests our rep team related to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Anyone here been successful in setting up a client/server configuration for GNS3? Trying to get something setup for the junior guys at work, without them having to run GNS3 on their work desktop or use RDP/VNC to a server in the lab. I am going based off this documentation: http://www.gns3.net/documentation/gns3/client-server-and-multi-server-mode/

My assumption / build for them has been a beefy RHEL6 box in the datacenter that has all the images loaded up and they should be able to just launch the GNS3 gui locally and connect, but I am not sure if I am missing something.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Having a hell of a time getting ESXi 5.5.0 to see local SATA drives on my Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H. I've tried IDE and AHCI mode. It goes through the boot process fine, and just before transitioning from the yellow loader screen to where you agree to the install, I get a red error line, but it doesn't stay long enough to read. It then scans the sysetm and shows nothing under Local or Remote for "Disk to Install or Upgrade".

Is there any flags/options I can pass the bootloader to allow me to back track and see that error?

EDIT: Jumping over to another tty isn't yielding much from the log files, but I'll keep digging.

H.R. Paperstacks fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 15, 2013

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Moey posted:

No idea where to post this, but I figure I'll take a stab here (Juniper question).

So I have inherited networking at my job. I am going through and documenting the mess that our previous network guy left me. Going through our core switch clusters, I notice one site doesn't have a loopback address. From my reading, I thought Junos required this? Right now that site really isn't in production on that cluster (only one physical server running there), but it seems to be working?

Someone care to set me straight on this?

JUNOS doesn't require an address on lo0, but having one certainly makes management life easier when it has one.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Moey posted:

Can you expand a little more on this?

For your sites in which the clusters have a lo0.0 address, what is it being used for? Do you SSH to it? Source NTP/SYSLOG/ETC from it?

Juniper FXP/ME/VME/BME ports (the physical port labeled "MGMT" on the chassis or Routing Engine) cannot be used for transient traffic, only traffic destined to/from the control plane. You can assign an IP to that interface, but you control access to the control plane via an input filter on lo0.0 even if it doesn't have an address on it.

Having an address assigned to lo0.0 gives you further flexibility when it comes things like routing protocols and management of the device since your loopback addresses are available on every interface that is up/up, regardless of their assigned IP.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Moey posted:

Thanks guys. Right now these cores are not fully implemented so our inter-site routing is being handled by the old cores (OSPF).

Poking around some more, he seemed to just put a random /32 address on each Lo0. Defiantly not routable anywhere on the network.

Are there any recommended books either of you would advise? Each of our "core clusters" consists of a virtual chassis of 2 x SRX240 and another virtual chassis of 2 x EX4550 and 2 x EX4200.

Edit: Magoo. Just started looking at what he was doing in the firewalls. I am going to have a lot of work ahead of me.

Book wise, you'll want to get JUNOS Enterprise Routing and JUNOS Enterprise Switching, both via O'Reilly. Those will cover 90% of what you'll be doing with the EX line. Depending on what role you are going to put the SRX's into, flow based vs packet based, there will be some overlap. There is also a JUNOS SRX Series book by O'Reilly as well, but I have not read it, the previous two I have when I was prep'ing for JNCIE.

JUNOS Cookbook is decent, but also look at all the free Juniper: Day One books via https://www.juniper.net they are packed with good info and tips.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
We had to remove all commercial internet access to all our networks and with that meant remote access to our 8 racks of lab equipment (MX960s / Cisco ASR's / etc). When bored I would use the lab to study here and there for both my CCIE/JNCIE exams this year and now that is gone......I needed an escape from boredom....so I'll just do something at home.

I ended up getting a 12U cabinet off Amazon (it was wallmount so I had to add casters) and I stuffed it full of most of the gear I needed to keep from going insane from boredom.

I'm a little OCD when it comes to clean cabling....

Top to Bottom:

Juniper SRX220H
Juniper EX4200
Cisco 3750
Cisco 3560

2U Server virtualizing everything else for routing in GNS3.

I still need to add a few more SRX's and maybe another Cisco switch or two.

Next step, building out a nice provider sized MPLS network to mimic work.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

GOOCHY posted:

Looking real good there, man.

Thanks. I get bored at home and now I have to drive into the office to hit the lab and that wasn't going to work. One other thing left is to get a REV4 PSU for the EX4200 to bring the noise down. Right now it is slightly audible even with office closet door closed.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Sefal posted:

I have not looked into GNS3. Thank you guys for your advice. I was looking around ebay and I think I want to buy this.
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/CISCO-Lab-CC...=item19e7e06e4b

it's pretty cheap. and I think it would satisfy my needs

Then I found this
http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/compute...previousPage=lr
which is a bit more expensive but looks really nice. but I don't think it's worth shelling out 500 euro's when I can get what I need for 150 euro's

I think I will start with GNS3 after I get some hands on experience with the hardware.

As you get more experience you can bridge a GNS3 topology build into that physical lab and keep expanding.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

sudo rm -rf posted:

So I'd like to get a rack. Any decent smalls ones that I can put on top of my desk? Currently have 6U worth of equipment, would probably need at least 9U or maybe even 12U to make sure I have room for expansion.

I ended up getting a 12U cabinet off Amazon (it was wallmount so I had to add casters).

http://amzn.com/B00GAPUMDE

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

evol262 posted:

I love these, but half depth is so limiting.

Yeah that is a downside since you aren't fitting a standard rackmount server in there. Home lab wise it's almost perfect since people are rolling their own server and the cases are usually shallow like that 2U I have in there.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

evol262 posted:

I had a lot of problems finding half-depth cases with ears on Newegg 4 years ago (last time I had a half-depth rack). Is there a good option these days?

My 2U case is a Norco : http://amzn.com/B00BQY36DC

They have some 4U options as well if you need the extra space for drives.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

QPZIL posted:

Any CCIEs in the house? I currently have the following gear, and I'm curious what else I'll need for the CCIE eventually. I guess I'm trying to "futureproof" my lab setup, so I only buy things I'll eventually need, instead of filling up with crap that'll be useless to me later on (like I've somewhat done already).

Routers:
- 1841 ISR
- 1841 ISR

Switches:
- 3524XL
- 2924XL

Really, the only semi-modern items in there are the 1841s and the 3550 :(

When do you plan on taking the lab? v5 is moving to 15.0code, so you'll want gear that runs that along with anything else listed in the blueprint. If you don't plan on taking it for a few years, look into rack rentals or GNS3/IOU builds instead, as they'll at least remain somewhat close to the requirements code/feature.

Keep in mind the v4 lab is comprised of something near 25 routers, so it's not something you are going to want to buy physical hardware for.

H.R. Paperstacks fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 4, 2014

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Stealthgerbil posted:

Whats the deal with GBICs? I read about how they function and what their purpose is but I am mainly wondering which ones are actually used? Half the 'recommended lab' guides are super outdated. I have a few servers in my home lab and I was thinking of getting some sort of fiber GBIC and then getting a card like http://www.stikc.com/Intel-PRO-10000-SR-Single-PCI-E-10Gb-Fibre-Network-Adapter-RN219 and seeing if I can make it work together. I don't actually know anything about fiber but I would like to learn how it works. I bought a cisco switch with two GBIC ports and I see that the modules are fairly cheap.

You can't mix remote ends of 1Gbps -vs- 10Gbps fiber. The linked NIC is a 10Gb NIC, what Cisco switch do you have and what model GBIC is installed?

The fiber "modules" themselves are called transceivers and also come in flavors and should be paired up with the correct wavelength/core fiber cabling.

1Gbps - Usually 1000Base-X (GBIC) or 1Gbps SFP
10Gbps - SFP+ (or you can have twisted pair or DAC cables, but we are talking fiber here)
Both of these come in SX (ShortHaul so MultiMode) or LX (LongHaul so SingleMode).

Cabling you have SingleMode, used for long distances and MultiMode, used for intra-building and Server to Switch. You don't want to have LX and SX transceivers connected (without some attunator) because an LX transmits more mW and can burn out the SX receiver after awhile.

H.R. Paperstacks fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 19, 2014

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Stealthgerbil posted:

I did buy a switch and it came with two Cisco 30-0759-01 Base-SX transceivers but I feel like those were tossed in the auction to make it seem better. Definitely going to check out those gbics and maybe buy a few off of ebay. They are going for really cheap on there. I mainly just want to spend a little money to learn about the hardware side of fiber networks just in case I see it in the field and so I don't look even more dumb.

https://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog57/presentations/Monday/mon.tutorial.Steenbergen.Optical.39.pdf

TON'S of good info on there for the Layer1/Layer2 aspect of Optical Transport.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
X-post, but I have some leftover gear from a home lab:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689858

Cisco Catalyst 3750G-24TS $325 Shipped
Cisco Catalyst 3560G-48TS - $150 Shipped
Juniper EX4200-24T - $450 Shipped

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Cactus Jack posted:

Are there any managed gigabit switches that are fanless other than the HP 1810 series? I'd like to get a 16 or 24 port one and I am in the room where this is going so I'd rather not have a jet engine on it if possible.

Juniper EX2200-C is Fanless, but only 12ports.
http://www.juniper.net/us/en/products-services/switching/ex-series/ex2200/

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
I'm pretty sure the 24pt Cisco 3750G I have is drat near silent once it has fully booted. I check again tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Cactus Jack posted:

Rats, was hoping they wouldn't be so pricey. Thanks for the info though. :)

Not sure how much you were looking to spend:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689858

• Locked thread