Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The Jag strait 6 was actually a very stout motor.... just the rest of the bullshit clouted the motor. Even the V12 was extremely sturdy and enjoyed a long life.

Again its just the rest of the bullshit that plague British cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

leica posted:

Those wheels look cool as hell. Also, wouldn't it be cheaper to just replace the entire top instead of just the plastic window? You can replace an entire top yourself, but it's nearly impossible to just replace a plastic window and most shops would charge you more to stitch a new one in than what a replacement top would cost. Of course with this car I have no clue, could be the opposite if replacement tops are hard to get or expensive as hell.

Yeah. Plan on doing the whole top. The canvas, or whatever material the top is made from needs replacement as well.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.

Way2slow posted:

Yeah. Plan on doing the whole top. The canvas, or whatever material the top is made from needs replacement as well.

If there's a Haartz Stayfast option for your car, I heartily recommend it. I'm using one on my Datsun, and it beats the poo poo out of the original vinyl top. Better look, thicker, less wind noise, better construction, nice zippers, etc.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I somehow hadn't noticed this thread until yesterday and have spent moments over the past 48 hours reading the entire thing. It's fantastic that AI continues to expand it's range of projects and cars be it an old Jag like this, an old Lada, or a daily beater... All of us bound together by our enthusiasm insanity.

I know you're pouring a lot of funds into parts, so let us know if you need us to pool money together to buy you a decent camera. In other words, it's an absolute travesty you haven't posted more high quality images of this thing :). If I were a half decent photographer I'd offer to fly down there and do it myself (assuming you'd pick me up from the airport in this thing ;-*).

Give us some close ups of the paint! Of the trim! Of the dash! It's likely that most of us will never own one of these, let alone see one up close... I want to see what British nooks and crannies have to offer!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

e: nvm

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 2, 2014

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.
Camera chat: I also endorse this plan, and have a recommendation. I bought my girlfriend a Sony NEX-3N for Christmas, and I'm convinced that there's no better camera for the money. It's one of the smallest full frame compacts being sold, and it uses Sony's E mount lenses (which are a dime a dozen on ebay).

Besides, it costs less than pretty much anything you could buy for Mr. Jag :shobon:

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
I've got an EOS 50D, but I'll worry about glamour shots once she's gussied up and doesn't look like a beat up whore.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Don't kinkshame thanks

NWDub
Feb 2, 2010
Ive only skimmed the thread, but if I can say anything:

If you have 50k to spend on a car and are doing it yourself - get a lift. Greg smith or whatever has them for less than $2k and you can buy an outdoor one as well. It really is worth it's weight. You never have to lie on your back again.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

NWDub posted:

Ive only skimmed the thread, but if I can say anything:

If you have 50k to spend on a car and are doing it yourself - get a lift. Greg smith or whatever has them for less than $2k and you can buy an outdoor one as well. It really is worth it's weight. You never have to lie on your back again.

There are only certain things I was doing/did myself. Most of those are done now. It leaves for a proper body off, down to bare metal paint job tomorrow in original color, and will likely be gone for 3 months, so minimal updates to be expected. From there, it's a new top & interior where necessary, then suspension/shocks (which I will do myself, bushings, etc).
I ended up doing the cooling system, the hydraulics, the brakes, the engine/carbs and all tuning. That said, it was simply amazing how much better the transmission felt after changing the oil in it. Went from fighting to get it in gear, to sliding right in. Lube does wonders apparently.

I was looking at getting a lift just for the sake of being able to do other car maintenance, but then I realized something. My other friend with a shop who has one, it's almost always in use by someone other than him. I really don't want other people hassling me to use my lift while I'm away on a job, or whatever because for some odd reason, no one's project ever finishes on the estimated time frame.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
So while I'm waiting on the body shop, I was doing a bit of research, and found that this is apparently one of the rarest E-types built, as it has open headlights, but is a series 1, not a series 1.5.

I'd imagine this makes it even more valuable, but am no expert. Anyone else know anything about this?

For info:
Open Headlights
3 SU carbs, not 2 Zenith-Stromberg.
1967 4.2
19K mileage
Smooth cam covers
4 spd

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
The JCNA guide I read labeled them as "series 1.25" since the only thing distinguishing them from a series 1 is the headlights. It said that, while not as valuable as a series 1, they are more desirable than a series 1.5 or series 2.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Way2slow posted:

So while I'm waiting on the body shop, I was doing a bit of research, and found that this is apparently one of the rarest E-types built, as it has open headlights, but is a series 1, not a series 1.5.

I'd imagine this makes it even more valuable, but am no expert. Anyone else know anything about this?

If it's OEM (and I cant imagine given the rest of the car it's not....) then a rare build is going to jack the price up another 5K to start most likely. But that's only to Jag enthusists who know their poo poo, the general 60 year olds reliving youth wouldnt care.... luckily an unrestored completely OEM E-Type is exactly the thing the deer stalker lot would be looking for and rare builds are exactly the thing they would be looking for.

That's kinda the hard thing to work with judging your car's value - it wouldnt be a car Joe Public would drool over it and push demand but the enthusists sure as hell would do that. I'd be taking it to a Jag Owners car show and enter it into concourse - sure it wont be the prettiest car there BUT I suspect it'll point quite well for originality (Extra points for a rare build too!) and how it does would be a good price guide.

Edit - That's how we used to do it when I was into Lancias and then Minis. See how it did in concourse, price for value gets set accordingly.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 20, 2014

12345random
Mar 24, 2013

Cat Terrist posted:

If it's OEM (and I cant imagine given the rest of the car it's not....) then a rare build is going to jack the price up another 5K to start most likely. But that's only to Jag enthusists who know their poo poo, the general 60 year olds reliving youth wouldnt care.... luckily an unrestored completely OEM E-Type is exactly the thing the deer stalker lot would be looking for and rare builds are exactly the thing they would be looking for.

That's kinda the hard thing to work with judging your car's value - it wouldnt be a car Joe Public would drool over it and push demand but the enthusists sure as hell would do that. I'd be taking it to a Jag Owners car show and enter it into concourse - sure it wont be the prettiest car there BUT I suspect it'll point quite well for originality (Extra points for a rare build too!) and how it does would be a good price guide.

Edit - That's how we used to do it when I was into Lancias and then Minis. See how it did in concourse, price for value gets set accordingly.

This is a great suggestion. At the very least you'll likely be able to create some new contacts who can be of future assistance.

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

Way2slow posted:

I've got an EOS 50D, but I'll worry about glamour shots once she's gussied up and doesn't look like a beat up whore.

There are tons of pictures of E-Types that are nice and shiny and freshly restored... good quality glamour shots of one that's not in perfect condition would be doing a service to the world.

Please give me more pictures :3::pray:

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
It's at the body shop.
Not much has happened, but here's how it currently looks. Chrome is coming off to be re chromed due to pitting at this point.

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

Awesome.

No doors looks surprisingly good...

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
It's amazing, even hosed up, dusty and with the doors off those cars still look great.

NWDub
Feb 2, 2010

Way2slow posted:

There are only certain things I was doing/did myself. Most of those are done now. It leaves for a proper body off, down to bare metal paint job tomorrow in original color, and will likely be gone for 3 months, so minimal updates to be expected. From there, it's a new top & interior where necessary, then suspension/shocks (which I will do myself, bushings, etc).
I ended up doing the cooling system, the hydraulics, the brakes, the engine/carbs and all tuning. That said, it was simply amazing how much better the transmission felt after changing the oil in it. Went from fighting to get it in gear, to sliding right in. Lube does wonders apparently.

I was looking at getting a lift just for the sake of being able to do other car maintenance, but then I realized something. My other friend with a shop who has one, it's almost always in use by someone other than him. I really don't want other people hassling me to use my lift while I'm away on a job, or whatever because for some odd reason, no one's project ever finishes on the estimated time frame.

That's why you rent it out. if they're using it, you may as well be paid for it. $20 a week goes a long way :)

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
A little more work has been done. Paint removal has begun, finally.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Way2slow posted:

A little more work has been done. Paint removal has begun, finally.

Glad to see this thread updated! Oh god, the body shop dust that's getting in/on/around everything, though. :ohdear:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
:( If I took a car as rare as that to my painter and found it like that, I would fire him on the spot.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

the spyder posted:

:( If I took a car as rare as that to my painter and found it like that, I would fire him on the spot.

Seriously. Even when my friend and I rattle-canned his wannabe track-rat RX-7 we didn't get the interior or engine bay that filthy. :(

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

Terrible Robot posted:

Seriously. Even when my friend and I rattle-canned his wannabe track-rat RX-7 we didn't get the interior or engine bay that filthy. :(

Interior is getting re-done, so it doesn't really matter. Plus, all the chrome had to be removed to be re-done, so it's kind of unavoidable.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
Step 1: Take off the doors + roof

2: sideways mania

3:???(drift)????
4: oh, you know thats profit.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
Don't listen to the haters, love the forward progress :)

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

It kind of reminds me of the car from Harold and Maude:

Can't wait to see more progress :)

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

Computer Jones posted:

Can't wait to see more progress :)

That's because it appears to me that the car in the picture is a modified E-type.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Way2slow posted:

That's because it appears to me that the car in the picture is a modified E-type.

In the movie he gets an E-Type from his parents and then has it modded or mods it like that to fit his edgy style. Been a long time, but that's how I remember it.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
He wanted a hearse but his parents said no, so he made the jaaaag into one.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Computer Jones posted:

The best thing about that movie and he pushes it off a cliff at the end :argh:

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Found out about the '65 E Type. It got parked because the engine overheated and blew. So yeah, won't be getting into that project.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Primer pass one, complete.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Woooo! Can't wait to see it after paint.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Did it need any good traditional lead bodywork?

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

iv46vi posted:

Did it need any good traditional lead bodywork?

Only minor surface rust in a few select spots was found, and it was sanded off. The dent in the hood was pounded out, not bondo'd.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Body shop estimate on time was off.
Paint expected to be done next week is the new estimate.
I'm hoping...

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
We need some new pictures.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Way2slow posted:

Body shop estimate on time was off.
Paint expected to be done next week is the new estimate.
I'm hoping...

I've never seen a paint shop time estimate be right, except maybe on overhaulin'

And yes to more pics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
One door is completely done. Went through a couple shades before it was right according to the shop (or they were being lazy and not doing poo poo).
Now, the new estimate for paint (but not buffing) is next week.

I keep getting told "next week", and it's frustrating, but there's not really much that can be done other than stopping in, and checking on it.

• Locked thread