Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Way2slow posted:

I can only describe them. They are square blocks that have a multispoke gear that resembles a starfish sticking out the bottom. This gear catches the latch on the door frame and is supposed to hold. The passenger side does not catch all the time.

Yeah, sounds like it. There's a cutoff at some point in the late 60's when modern latches that actually held the doors closed appeared on all British cars - it's so universal I almost wonder if it was a government rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Way2slow posted:

I can only describe them. They are square blocks that have a multispoke gear that resembles a starfish sticking out the bottom. This gear catches the latch on the door frame and is supposed to hold. The passenger side does not catch all the time.

Sounds like my Volvo latches, and could very well be the same one (I've found Volvo used a lot of common components from other manufacturers, especially british, during the 60's). They need to be lubed regularly or that happens. Cleaning and lubing it should solve the problem permanently.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
My old Ford is like that too. I had to adjust the striker plate to get the passenger door to close correctly the first time, instead of taking 5 tries. Hopefully your body isn't in the wrong place due to rust, I suspect that is the problem with mine. Cab corners go out, so the door jamb isn't quite where it should be.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

LloydDobler posted:

Sounds like my Volvo latches, and could very well be the same one (I've found Volvo used a lot of common components from other manufacturers, especially british, during the 60's). They need to be lubed regularly or that happens. Cleaning and lubing it should solve the problem permanently.

The only problem is that to remove the latch, I need to take the door panel off. This makes it a bit harder than just a few screws and fix.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
If they are fiberboard panels, you can just redo them with masonite or more fiberboard, using the old one as a template. I've had to do this more than once.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Well, it looks like the thermostatic switch is toast. So I guess that's the first real electric piece other than the fuel sender, which I will need to replace, and have ordered it. But I figured, hey, I've got the original stuff, and if I want to do it right, might as well replace the radiator with an all aluminum one, along with an all aluminum surge tank and new fan. That sucker will not overheat now unless something is truly wrong inside the engine. Once the parts arrive at least...

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
How is the parts availability for a car like this? I'm guessing there are a select few companies who specialize in original/rebuilt parts and then maybe a few who do upgraded/modern replacement parts? How are the prices? I know these things can cost a ton to restore, but I'm guessing parts like what you've replaced/ordered don't break the bank.

This is probably one of my favorite project threads I've seen here in the past 10+ years, keep up the good work!

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

How is the parts availability for a car like this? I'm guessing there are a select few companies who specialize in original/rebuilt parts and then maybe a few who do upgraded/modern replacement parts? How are the prices? I know these things can cost a ton to restore, but I'm guessing parts like what you've replaced/ordered don't break the bank.

This is probably one of my favorite project threads I've seen here in the past 10+ years, keep up the good work!

If you name a part, it's in a catalog. It might be backordered, and take a few weeks to get, possibly more, but it's eventually attainable at a reasonable price.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

Cakefool posted:

Low rider, roof chop, flames, sbc. :colbert:

Aargh posted:

Then throw som horrible chrome 20's on it.
Then you need to give it a wicked stance job.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
This showed up a few days ago. Waiting on the thermostatic switch, and associated radiator/fan combo to install.
The welds look good to me. Especially considering it's all aluminum...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That is one gorgeous piece.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That is a work of art befitting the car. Hope the stuff you plug into it doesn't let it down.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Argh why don't they clean the drat welds!?
I swear no one takes pride in their work anymore...

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
They look pretty clean to me ?

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Because grinding down the welds on aluminum can severely affect weld integrity? Have you ever seen someone do that before?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Citycop posted:

They look pretty clean to me ?

All the white and black stuff is impurities from the aluminum brought up to the surface during the welding... And it looks like I can make out a couple of dips of the tungsten.

djdanno13 posted:

Because grinding down the welds on aluminum can severely affect weld integrity? Have you ever seen someone do that before?
A simple scotchbrite would take care of all that stuff. And yes, I was a welder, and still make car parts/exhaust/intercooler piping.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I've discovered, from when I was considering a career as a welder, that the #1 thing about being a welder is you get to critique other people's welds. It's like being an art critic only much less subjective. I found myself looking at every weld I saw and thinking either "Wow, that's quite well done." or "Pfft, I could do better than that!".

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

I do it too much I feel. It scares me looking at some of the harbor freight stuff they sell, or that I own.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

Aargh posted:

Then throw som horrible chrome 20's on it.

No one even makes 20's for this car that don't require extensive modification. It's spline drive up front with knock offs, not a 4 or 5 bolt lug pattern.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Wait, how exactly do the wheels attach?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Splined shafts,
E: with big rear end wing nuts

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cakefool posted:

Splined shafts,
E: with big rear end wing nuts

And a lead hammer.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

meatpimp posted:

And a lead hammer.

Named "Thor".

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Classy as gently caress.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
The only problem, is that it's relatively difficult to find tire shops willing to mount tires on the spoke rims. So I ordered some old style rims that use the same spline drive that are still classy, but no spokes.

Besides, that allows me to pull the original rims like those in the picture and clean them up better, and have them for shows or something like that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Spoked wheels are the best wheels :colbert:

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.
At the risk of telling you something you already know, two of the spinners (US drivers side I think) are left hand thread. I haven't seen it mentioned yet and it often catches out people who aren't expecting it. It should say on the spinner which way to tighten/loosen if they aren't too rusty.

Also, beautiful car. Good luck!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KozmoNaut posted:

Spoked wheels are the best wheels :colbert:

Agreed.

Also this piccy answers your man's question above.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Trippy. How do they lock into place?

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

On the other day I saw Wheelers Dealers. They were restoring an e-type and I thought right away of this thread. It's interesting how they restore the wheels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ll10oiQl6w

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

Camoes posted:

On the other day I saw Wheelers Dealers. They were restoring an e-type and I thought right away of this thread. It's interesting how they restore the wheels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ll10oiQl6w

At 3 pounds a spoke, that's almost $6US/spoke. More than just a few spokes would likely be replaced per wheel, so uh. I think I'll learn how to do one more thing.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

Knobjockey posted:

At the risk of telling you something you already know, two of the spinners (US drivers side I think) are left hand thread. I haven't seen it mentioned yet and it often catches out people who aren't expecting it. It should say on the spinner which way to tighten/loosen if they aren't too rusty.

Also, beautiful car. Good luck!

The spinners are actually individually marked with arrows to loosen and tighten, so yeah, reading comprehension and you'll be fine.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
The radiator is now here, but the thermostatic switch I am still waiting on. No sense in doing the install until that gets here.
More welds for you to criticize though.

Yes, I am aware it is currently upside down.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Needs a real shroud.
Also, local parts place should have a thermostatic fan controller.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

mafoose posted:

Needs a real shroud.
Also, local parts place should have a thermostatic fan controller.

Not one in the correct shape. This is an oddly shaped piece that bolts into the surge tank.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
I tuned mixture, idle, and fast idle and completely synchronized the carbs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utuh5daSYKo
Runs much smoother now, but still waiting on the switch to put the new radiator, expansion tank and fan in.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Why is that door so tiny? Also when are driving videos coming?

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

iv46vi posted:

Why is that door so tiny? Also when are driving videos coming?

That's the way the doors are. It's a tight fit to get in, to say the least.

Driving videos come when the thermo switch arrives, which means the aluminum radiator, surge tank, and fan all go in, as well as some rims & tires that I can safely drive on show up.
A lot of places (read tire shops) don't want to mount tires onto wire rims, so I had to source some non wire rims that went in place without any modification to the spline drive setup that was on the car from the factory.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Way2slow posted:

Besides, that allows me to pull the original rims like those in the picture and clean them up better, and have them for shows or something like that.

I wouldn't do that man, that will rankle the autism of the people who are into these cars like nothing else, myself included. Get the wheels properly reconditioned, and find a shop that isn't employing stoned teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Go to a Mexican tire shop, we've got lots of experience with wire wheel ;)

• Locked thread