Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NWDub
Feb 2, 2010
Ive only skimmed the thread, but if I can say anything:

If you have 50k to spend on a car and are doing it yourself - get a lift. Greg smith or whatever has them for less than $2k and you can buy an outdoor one as well. It really is worth it's weight. You never have to lie on your back again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NWDub
Feb 2, 2010

Way2slow posted:

There are only certain things I was doing/did myself. Most of those are done now. It leaves for a proper body off, down to bare metal paint job tomorrow in original color, and will likely be gone for 3 months, so minimal updates to be expected. From there, it's a new top & interior where necessary, then suspension/shocks (which I will do myself, bushings, etc).
I ended up doing the cooling system, the hydraulics, the brakes, the engine/carbs and all tuning. That said, it was simply amazing how much better the transmission felt after changing the oil in it. Went from fighting to get it in gear, to sliding right in. Lube does wonders apparently.

I was looking at getting a lift just for the sake of being able to do other car maintenance, but then I realized something. My other friend with a shop who has one, it's almost always in use by someone other than him. I really don't want other people hassling me to use my lift while I'm away on a job, or whatever because for some odd reason, no one's project ever finishes on the estimated time frame.

That's why you rent it out. if they're using it, you may as well be paid for it. $20 a week goes a long way :)

• Locked thread