Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

joat mon posted:

This is exactly how I did my TR7. So easy.

The way I do most repairs in my MGB is to cry into the footwell for a few hours and then somehow fix it with a fishhook, an ounce of pipe tobacco and a pair of silk ladies stockings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

But what did you use on the car?

If you know anything about MGs, you know that the only way to keep them in pristine condition is to spend all your waking hours engaged in unimaginable perversions. What else would explain the majority of owners?

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Look, bro, we're all friends here. And as a bro to bro, I gotta say, you need to man the gently caress up and do the right thing. Replace that water pump with this.

I mean I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin', ya dig?

I can't wait until my MGB inevitably pops its engine - I want to stick a Jag straight-six in and do the MGC as it ought to have been.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Local Resident posted:

This and the Citroen DS are the coolest cars ever made.

Every picture I've ever seen of one of these makes it look like the car is 50% hood. Is it like that in person, or is it just that the pictures are always shot from an angle? Can you snap a pic from behind the wheel?

Are these Jaaags any good to drive? It's been funny watching Top Gear over the last few years as they drive old classics. Usually there will be a bit that starts with, "If I'm honest", and goes on to list the car's glaring faults (by modern standards).

Most classic cars do involve saying to yourself "Ok, so by any possible metric apart from coolness and fun this is a terrible car, but those two factors make up for it a thousand times over."

I can't understand why people form these classic car clubs for terrible droning adenoidal men who wear bomber jackets with their cars logo on and talk about keeping it out of the rain or the sun or the cold or anything. For a really good car like this then yes, common sense care of it is good, but for something like an MG, which was built for people who couldn't afford a Jaaaaag but wanted to drive like a hoon with exactly 1 (one) young lady and very little luggage, the train spotter crew really make me worried sometimes that people will associate me with them just because I drive the same car.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Cakefool posted:

On the subject of original paint and wanky owners clubs, I was once passed at approx 100mph by a mk2 jag painted in gloss and matte checks, driven by a bloke who must have been eighty. I imagine he didn't give a poo poo what the owners club thought.

I want to keep my MG until that age, and put in a stupid motor and paint it like a ned's trainer, then take it to an owner's club meeting.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

The future is dead; the past is dead.

Make smoke.

Make noise.

Go fast.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Way2slow posted:

Oh yeah, about that latch. So I'm making a left turn, and the door decides to open on its own. Whoops. Good thing no one was next to me, but it was hilarious, because the person behind me noted that the lady in the car coming the opposite direction apparently freaked out and thought someone was bailing out of the car.

I assume it has the older style door latches?

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Way2slow posted:

I can only describe them. They are square blocks that have a multispoke gear that resembles a starfish sticking out the bottom. This gear catches the latch on the door frame and is supposed to hold. The passenger side does not catch all the time.

Yeah, sounds like it. There's a cutoff at some point in the late 60's when modern latches that actually held the doors closed appeared on all British cars - it's so universal I almost wonder if it was a government rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

Step 1: Take off the doors + roof

2: sideways mania

3:???(drift)????
4: oh, you know thats profit.

• Locked thread