Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madattheinternet
May 8, 2004

PLEASE STOP! PLEASE!
Awesome! If you get the motor cranking, catching and eventually starting will you take a victory lap around the neighborhood or will you park and pull it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madattheinternet
May 8, 2004

PLEASE STOP! PLEASE!
Are you considering swapping some of the more finicky bits with modern, but visually "stock" replacement parts? I know that the fuel injection era cemented the image of all jags being bad, but reliability was always an issue. While you obviously hope to keep it original as the day it rolled off the lorry, will you try to exorcise some of the demons to keep it as reliable as possible?

I only ask because I'm facing down the barrel of an early-80s Alfa Romeo shaped shotgun that has no visual or multi-meter confirmed issues yet still refuses to start consistently and decides to stop running randomly. And this is a car with a Bosch FI system that I'm VERY familiar with coming from a BMW background... it just seems like the car itself is determined to piss me off and build up my calf muscles.

madattheinternet fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 17, 2013

madattheinternet
May 8, 2004

PLEASE STOP! PLEASE!

Citycop posted:

Just like you would not swap out any bits on the Mona Lisa for something more modern, this car is a time capsule and a tarnished representation of what it was on it's best day, when it was original and brand new. What makes the car great is not how well it works, but how well it represents what it was on that first day. If you don't get that then you would probably be better off buying a brand new modern Jag instead of this increasingly irreplaceable antique.

The Mona Lisa only has to hang on a wall and look good, it doesn't have to ALWAYS provide fuel, air and spark on demand in addition to being a passive work of art. As other people have said already and the current curator of this particular exhibit confirmed, this car isn't being restored to be stared at have its every cable tie and screw head examined, so tasteful, functional upgrades are essential for its continued enjoyment. Anyone who works on and appreciates older cars will "get" the fact that eliminating some known issues by using modern replacements is preferable to chasing electrical gremlins in a hot parking lot in August or hoping nervously that an air dam can clear a ramp as it's being winched onto a wrecker.

• Locked thread