Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Oh..... wow. You are in for a world of utter hurt restoring an E-Type especially if it's been sitting around. How's the rust on the body?

Either way, as much as this is gonna hurt you physically and monetarily, there is hardly a better sound than a E-Type with triple Webers..... or I suppose stock too. Oh and lets face it, that car is a panty-dropper. Worth the effort no matter what condition it's in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Way2slow posted:

Rust on the body is minimal from everything I can tell. Bits of surface rust around the emblems on the trunk, but otherwise clean.

Pull the carpet up, that'll be the real indicator. Also give the sills a tap test and see if they sound good. A dull sound will mean likely tin worm. TBH tho, if it was stored indoors then it'll be pretty good. It wont be a bad idea to remove the windshields to check as well - the seals will be rotten any so may as well.

A basically low rust E-Type - It doesnt matter what else, you got a great place to start

quote:

Forgot to mention:
The engine is seized! Yeay!
Already got the 6 spark plugs off, and have been letting some deep creep hopefully break the rust rings.

I already understand why Jaguar people are generally determined to be crazy.

Mate as above - count your blessings. Even if you need to rebuild the motor, that's nothing in effort compared to fixing the body. Most restorers would kill you to have that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Holy poo poo, $2500 for THAT??? Triple that and you would have still got a bargain.

Given the bodywork is in good shape, the budget is on the money (its bodywork that'll blow the budget) - I'd guess you can get it on the road for less than 30K. 50K should give you something close to concourse.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Way2slow posted:

To free the engine I've tried:
1) Let Seafoam deep creep sit in the cylinders for a couple days, then breaker bar.
That failed.
2) Let Free-all sit in the cylinders for a couple days, then breaker bar.
Another failure..
3) Let diesel fuel sit in the cylinders for a couple days, then breaker bar.
Was hoping the third time would be the charm, but that failed as well.

Any other suggestions?

At this point though, I think that if the pistons are this stuck, even if I do break it free, it'll probably need a rebuild anyway.

Diesel is the best recommended way - put more in, let it soak a bit longer. If that doesn't work it's pull the engine time, which TBH even if the engine turned over you would have to do as all the gaskets would be junk by now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Needs three Webers hanging off the side.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

What, and lose out on the class and charm of the finely tuned British motoring experience while you're unpacking the picnic lunch you packed for yourself and the lady in the most scenic of breakdown lanes available?

I see this gentleman hasnt driven a car with triple Webers before. My good sir, Webers are the finest Italian quality carburettors with much complexity and oh so many things to go wrong you will be enjoying MORE picnics by the motorway, that is if the car starts at all!

So why should one use a Weber on a Jaguar you ask? Well when they do run, the harmonics and induction noise of Webers produce a aprodisiadc so powerful that the no how proper and chaiste your English lady, the act of acceleration will have her so wet she'll have your tweed trousers off faster than a 2 dollar hooker in a back alley.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Guffikins posted:

On my TR7 you actually can't even get the box end over the nuts on the carbs, and you've only got enough room on the bottom nuts for 1/12th turns. Getting the carbs off of British cars is a terrible experience.

And here I was thinking that experience was unique to Minis, except the joy of FWD and everything behind the engine. I hated taking the SU's off.

Ever had the dubious joys of icing?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tank and anything in it 100% hosed buuuuuut that floor really is clean and rust free, you really did score with that car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

It runs?!?!?!

The the more you post, the more amazed at how good the car is. I'd still say engine needs a rebuild to replace gaskets but eh, bloody thing runs. Congrats!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

You're so adorable. :allears:

Putting my accountant hat on (Oh Gawd)..... actually this is one of the few times anyone can legitimatly say it. Unlike other cars it'll never go down in value and keeping it as unrestored as possible (Given it's actually in good condition) puts it's value up. As it stands a running unrestored XKE is worth 20K at least and one in good condition? Add another 30K. So there's easily 50K worth of car waiting to be unlocked. Maybe even more.

Even a full ground up 30 to 50K restoration would at worst break even. Keep the car for a few years and the numbers get better, I'm honestly surprised more arent going for 100K now. Wont be much longer before they do I think.

Way2slow posted:

Interestingly enough, I may be coming across a similar deal, only on a full series 1 with covered headlights. Apparently this area that the work is being performed there must have been a one-upmanship contest with these cars or something.

More on that when I return at the start of next month.

Oh you utter lucky bastard. Not fair!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

1st Edition ADandD posted:

Someone coming up and offering you your budget plus what you are already in... it is King Raven, offering you one last chance to avoid going down the path of madness and death, or it is Coyote the Trickster, trying to turn you away from the way of glory. I am a weak man, and would slink away with my $40K having thrown in the trailer, and none would ever read my build thread. You are a man of whom even heroes will sing, in garages that smell of brake cleaner and warm beer, but will they sing of your victories, or of your foolishness...?

He just AI. Cutting and run is for others.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

HotCanadianChick posted:

This is only a problem if he only got the car to flip it or as an investment.* If he wants to actually drive and enjoy the car, then he should definitely replace problem components with modern, reliable replacements.

*Cars are terrible investments.

There's been more and more said that is wrong in this thread and this is the most wrong. He can without any problem sell it at any point for a big profit AND the value increase is almost certain to beat the increase in traditional investments. Or he can dump 30K into it and still make a a more than decent profit.

Sure, that's not true with almost any other car. This isnt any other car. Give it five years and I wouldnt be surrpised it's value is 100K or more.

quote:

The other option is: Do what you want and enjoy it.

drat right - It doesnt matter if it's a just get it going and enjoy OR a full ground up. It's still going to be a E-Type Jaguar. It's still a gorgeous and valuable car that he got ridiculously cheap.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

IPCRESS posted:

Toothpaste.

Not even kidding.

Beat me to it. Yep he aint kidding, it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Way2slow posted:

So while I'm waiting on the body shop, I was doing a bit of research, and found that this is apparently one of the rarest E-types built, as it has open headlights, but is a series 1, not a series 1.5.

I'd imagine this makes it even more valuable, but am no expert. Anyone else know anything about this?

If it's OEM (and I cant imagine given the rest of the car it's not....) then a rare build is going to jack the price up another 5K to start most likely. But that's only to Jag enthusists who know their poo poo, the general 60 year olds reliving youth wouldnt care.... luckily an unrestored completely OEM E-Type is exactly the thing the deer stalker lot would be looking for and rare builds are exactly the thing they would be looking for.

That's kinda the hard thing to work with judging your car's value - it wouldnt be a car Joe Public would drool over it and push demand but the enthusists sure as hell would do that. I'd be taking it to a Jag Owners car show and enter it into concourse - sure it wont be the prettiest car there BUT I suspect it'll point quite well for originality (Extra points for a rare build too!) and how it does would be a good price guide.

Edit - That's how we used to do it when I was into Lancias and then Minis. See how it did in concourse, price for value gets set accordingly.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 20, 2014

• Locked thread