Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Way2slow posted:

Trying to press the nylon/plastic bushing into a the bracket at the firewall for throttle linkage, but it just doesn't want to go in. Would heating the bushing to make it more malleable be a good idea, or a bad one?

Can't comment on the specifics of this one but heating plastics and rubbers you run the risk of really loving things up. You could try chucking it in some just boiled water or something but I've only ever used that on rubber things like hoses. Nothing like dragging a pot of scalding hot water under a car with you to shove a hose in and do a superfast shove and swear session on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Fucknag posted:

If you're shoving the bushing into a hole, I'd stick it in the freezer so it shrinks down, then quickly stick it through.

That's a good point, but you lose plasticity. Hmm.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I may be wrong but I'd think that any real self respecting bodywork place would be going all out on patching it perfectly. Great for the portfolio / advertising.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Replacing parts dosn't include substituting with functional units does it? For example, would someone prefer a classic car with original brake hoses or ones not made out of chalk?

Cars are not terrible investments unless you look at them from the perspective of money sunk into them to keep them operational. But if you look at operating costs as a separate entity because they are a tool performing a function it can be quite different. My VW is worth a lot more than when I bought it, and scarily enough so is the Niva. Because they were used and not a museum piece of course there are maintenance costs.

No matter what this vehicle would turn a profit if sold, and in the end it's the owner's prerogative to do whatever.

• Locked thread