Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
During a Christmas toast someone mentioned how much they were looking forward to the New Year and said, and I quote, "I'm already living in 2015." I giggled and had to stifle belting out the rest of that crazy song. So this thread has begun to encroach into my everyday life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Did he at least pretend that he was livin' in 2014 so y'all wouldn't think he's crazy?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Shadow Hog posted:

Did he at least pretend that he was livin' in 2014 so y'all wouldn't think he's crazy?

Why the quagmire?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
That song is very meta because once you've heard it you want to make references to it, but you know you can't, so they all won't think you're crazy.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

sout posted:

Why the quagmire?
Well, y'know, I'm just tired of life as I do my duty; this evil world just cheats like a booty.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I had to watch the Beestmeel video again to prep myself for 2015 (which I am already living in) and holy poo poo, I'm still laughing out loud at several parts. I really hope Steward HK Lar Lover finally breaks into the mainstream.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I love to drag out jokes but I am already living in 2015

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

sout posted:

I love to drag out jokes but I am already living in 2015

I think you're crazy.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DoombatINC posted:

I don't know, we already have evidence of Soap murdering the fourth wall
I love how you can see him looking down on the script that is probably on his lap (which is probably why his character is in a wheelchair)

I would also like to thank the guy playing this game for not editing out the long long loooooong cutscenes to travel from one place to the other. ( I now know what Spoony was talking about when he LPed this game)

Also yeah its weird seeing Paul Giamatti in this game, but it was released in 1996 which was 2 years before he showed up on The Truman Show

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

achillesforever6 posted:

I love how you can see him looking down on the script that is probably on his lap (which is probably why his character is in a wheelchair)

I would also like to thank the guy playing this game for not editing out the long long loooooong cutscenes to travel from one place to the other.

It's amazing when you think about it in context. I remember being super hyped when FMV adventure games started coming out in the 90s. "It's a game but it's also like a movie, but you are in the movie and you get to decide what happens!" :neckbeard: Young me was so excited. And then you get things which would never be put in any movie, like a dozen loooong uneventful rides in an elevator or slowly re-assembling a broken cup. (Okay, maybe some weird subtitled art house film might have stuff like that, but not generally in mainstream movies intended as entertainment.) Instead of being an amazing fusion of movies and games, they were mostly things that would a really terrible movie and a really terrible game.

I'd stopped reading gaming magazines by the time this one came out, but I can imagine the hype. Clearly the problem with the early FMV games was that they were made by gaming companies, not movie companies. Sometimes the lead would be a professional actor, but often bit parts were played by game studio employees and their families. This time things will be different, they've got a full cast of solid professional actors and hollywood production values: This is the one that will take FMV games to the top! And then sliding puzzles and elevator rides happen.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
FMV games combine the worst aspects of movies and games into one awful package.

On the bright side most of them are nearly impossible to get working on modern computers

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The only FMV games that were good are the Tex Murphy games (since they embraced being cheesy,) MYST (if it counts) and Spycraft. Note that the last one had actual professional actors.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Mokinokaro posted:

Note that the last one had actual professional actors.

So did Ripper.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

The only FMV games that were good are the Tex Murphy games (since they embraced being cheesy,) MYST (if it counts) and Spycraft. Note that the last one had actual professional actors.

And MODE. Though MODE never saw a full release.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nelson Mandela posted:

So did Ripper.

Ripper's issues are writing and directing (plus horrible gameplay.) The bluescreen doesn't help either.

Many great actors give horrible performances if they don't have a good script and/or director.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Advanced technology has made games look and sound more like movies, which are meant to emulate real life in some way, but has also reduced what we can do in those games. I think it's similar to the jump from books to movies in the first place. Think about the limitations of movies as compared to books. Yes, you get to see and hear things rather than having to read about them and use your imagination, but what books can do is limited only by the boundaries of languages, and even at that, it's possible to expand the language within the book by defining new words and describing them. In movies, we can only do what it's possible to display on a screen. Modern computer graphics have been bridging the gap for decades, but they still don't usually look right to many people. Likewise, in the days of text adventures, the limits of the games were almost entirely issues with parsing commands - while it's a gross oversimplification, adding content to the game was mainly a matter of typing more text to describe what would happen. When graphics came along, added content could require new sprites, new backgrounds, priority bands, animations, etc., although some interactions were still condensed to narration and displayed as text instead of graphically. When games started to include voice in the CD-ROM era, now even new narration would require a recorded voice - there was no way to create that without actually recording the person saying the line. I don't know how much space voice clips took up on the average game CD, but I imagine it was a fairly limiting factor. FMVs were even more limiting, and returned to the issue from movies that only the videos that could be created could be part of the game. Now adding a new interaction of any type required setting up a shot with the right conditions, filming it, and putting it on the disc. Anyone who's ever complained about a character's expression never changing based on what's happening in the story (think Phantasmagoria 2 and the single clip of Curtis walking from any room in his apartment to any other room), or a particular interaction failing to take into account the results of past interactions in any way, has seen this problem for what it is. I've complained elsewhere about how the Final Fantasy games seem to be becoming more like movies as they go, and thus less like games, and I think it's a symptom of trying to focus more on a complex linear story that doesn't support the kind of exploration and nonlinearity that could be found in the earlier games in the series. Movies and interactive games are opposite ends of a scale, and elements of each are mutually exclusive. MODE went about as far to the interactive game side as I think an FMV game could.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Mokinokaro posted:

Ripper's issues are writing and directing (plus horrible gameplay.) The bluescreen doesn't help either.

Many great actors give horrible performances if they don't have a good script and/or director.

And we didn't even get to John Rhys-Davies yet.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My favorite FMV games remain the light gun games from American Laser Games.

Yee-haw bang bang.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
I wish there were FMV games that were in the same vein as "DragonStrike". That thing is to AD&D what Ripper is to CyberPunk.

I'm sorry, C-Punk.

It's nice how genuine everyone is with their acting, like in Ripper. They're all trying REALLY hard. It's just that the 90s weren't exactly known for their CGI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTNnYkJwSNU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Lowtax and Shmorky: Planet Earth Defenders! New Project in the Making 01/08/2015

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
Shmorky had to go now. His planet needed him.

(Note: Shmorky etc. etc. etc.)

So how about that Ripper, huh?!

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

no they will not

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

TheObserver posted:

So how about that Ripper, huh?!

Next week sometime, according to twitter.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I've never played FMV games but my favorite has to be Phantasmagoria 2, man that Spoony LP was the funniest poo poo when I watched it like 5 years ago. What makes it funnier is when I looked up the cast for that game and found out that the evil boss was the voice of the Green Sage from the Jak and Daxter games

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

If you've never been to Kentucky, that's pretty much what it's like.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
I'm assuming Lowtax and Shmorky will receive a hefty amount of royalties for this game?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Oh man that is fuckin amazing. the "Gaming" machine, the news cutting into the game, Lowtax ripping off his shirt and grabbing a gun immediately, amazing.

Please include clips of Lowtax yelling "EDF! EDF! EDF!"

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Holy crap, it's being made by the guy who did those wonderful Nightmare on Elm Street games? Count me in.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

FuriousAngle posted:

Holy crap, it's being made by the guy who did those wonderful Nightmare on Elm Street games? Count me in.

It genuinely looks like a decent enough game mechanically.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

If this doesn't get Lowtax and Shmorky back together, nothing will.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Well, as long as Lowtax realizes that Bladevampirek is going to be part of his life forever now...

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Mokinokaro posted:

Does Gabriel Knight 2 count as FMV? Because if so, that.

Bladevampirek
Nov 28, 2013

@Everyone
Thanks for the support Everyone! I hope Lowtax & Shmorky does get together again for Let's Plays :) they make a great team.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Bladevampirek posted:

@Everyone
Thanks for the support Everyone! I hope Lowtax & Shmorky does get together again for Let's Plays :) they make a great team.
I approve of you portraying Shmorky as Krang. It's so you and at the same time portraying Shmorky as a human would just feel wrong.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

BiggerJ posted:

I approve of you portraying Shmorky as Krang.

Looks like Shmorky does too.

https://twitter.com/sashmorky/status/553934317735669762

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

You should commission a song from the beastmeel guy for it soundtrack.

Bladevampirek
Nov 28, 2013

@BottledBacon I knew he was Krang. :)

@Unbelievably Fat Man
Beastmill guy? Have him to comment on my vid if he's offering his music for ingame use & I'll check it out.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

You should commission a song from the beastmeel guy for it soundtrack.

My brain couldn't handle how amazing that would be.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

Bladevampirek posted:

@BottledBacon I knew he was Krang. :)

@Unbelievably Fat Man
Beastmill guy? Have him to comment on my vid if he's offering his music for ingame use & I'll check it out.

Trust me. He'll have you livin in 2016 in no time! Also he's actually a really cool guy so I'm sure he'd be up for doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

JaysonAych posted:

If you've never been to Kentucky, that's pretty much what it's like.

Nah, right amount of George Thorogood, and trees, but no were near enough bourbon, moonshine, marijuana or guns.

• Locked thread