Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So, I'm just posting to let you guys know, because there's been some interest for it, that with a little convincing Syrup and I have officially begun work on Sea Den for 1.5.2.

(Some folks who've been here for a long time might recognize one of the locations we're using.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Onean posted:

Mess around with where you place the tin, it affects the output result. You'll want to do it with a crafting table. I don't remember which set will give you what you want, but it doesn't show up in NEI.

If you want the same block the station uses when spawned, I think it's a tin ingot directly below a stone block in the center.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

I just downloaded Minecraft yesterday and am hooked. I installed the resource pack Sphax and then added Forge, but haven't done anything else.

Is there a set of mods that would be considered beginner or does it really matter? Just not sure if Minecraft is better played and learned Vanilla first before adding all the modifications.

Also, I'm considering trying the servers in the OP but was interested to hear if you could actually get stuff done on those servers or if people just terrorize everything so to speak. Really just looking for a cool group of folks to shoot the poo poo and build some cool stuff with.

Sirithil
May 31, 2013

RaspberryCommie posted:

Would this mod work well enough to make elevators for my base, or is the frame motion too much of a problem like RP2's was?
There used to be continuous motion but it is now disabled by default, with a slight delay introduced between each block of movement.

Apparently there is an issue whereby buildcraft takes several ticks to render items in pipes (so on a continuously moving frame items were vanishing, this was a buildcraft issue and jakj couldn't fix it) and also if you were on a continuously-moving frame you wouldn't be able to get off until it stopped. But if you want it, you can re-enable this in the config.

You could definitely do elevators with it though either way.

Sirithil fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 29, 2013

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The plus side: Mods add tons of super cool stuff and make the game more playable and much longer lasting.

Downside: You'll never be able to play vanilla again.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

So, I'm just posting to let you guys know, because there's been some interest for it, that with a little convincing Syrup and I have officially begun work on Sea Den for 1.5.2.

(Some folks who've been here for a long time might recognize one of the locations we're using.)

I just want to say your stuff is pretty inspirational to me. I've ran a small server for 3-8 friends for years now, and I used to spend hours building hidden temples/puzzles for them to explore. You guys have taken it to the next level, and it's giving me the itch to try something like this myself. Keep it up, and keep this thread posted.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
On that subject, I was wondering if those who played Sky Den had any more suggestions or requests for the sequel, because now's the time.
So far the big ones we have are: Sky Den too far away, takes too long to get to and from. Trades not balanced enough. Thaumcraft slowed the whole thing down. Certain 'dry' periods, like waiting for cactus, with nothing else to do. Not enough stuff in the Nether/End. And the sequel should have more adventurelike quests.
E: Also, "rulebook way too long, didn't read".

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 29, 2013

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Vib Rib posted:

Ahaha god drat I remembered that old adventure map as soon as I saw this. I've been reading Minecraft modding threads for a long time :psyduck:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Upgraded to 1.6.2 yesterday. Congratulations Forge, I hate you too now. Let's just add to the confusion with changing directories, locking out other mods without a clear compatibility pathway, and adding whimsical JVM options you'll no doubt remove when you realize users are just going around your toll booth.

Can anyone tell me if older minecraft launchers depend on a .minecraft hierarchy or can I just point them to another directory and keep versions away from each other?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Vib Rib posted:

On that subject, I was wondering if those who played Sky Den had any more suggestions or requests for the sequel, because now's the time.
So far the big ones we have are: Sky Den too far away, takes too long to get to and from. Trades not balanced enough. Thaumcraft slowed the whole thing down. Certain 'dry' periods, like waiting for cactus, with nothing else to do. Not enough stuff in the Nether/End. And the sequel should have more adventurelike quests.
E: Also, "rulebook way too long, didn't read".

I don't know if it's at all possible but is there a way to get a quest log of sorts? I use two monitors and a couple times in my first playthrough (before I restarted due to cheating too much in the thaum training) I ended up clicking in from setting up a youtube video and then wiping out the reward dialouge before I'd finished reading it.

Maybe more structures to work towards in the nether? Now all I use it for, since I got that first blaze rod, is pigmans slaughter. I haven't got to The End yet so I don't know what that's like yet.

Also maybe more NPCs? I liked the ones in the skyden, but maybe the waterden could have more than 7+1 kid?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

eh4 posted:

Upgraded to 1.6.2 yesterday. Congratulations Forge, I hate you too now. Let's just add to the confusion with changing directories, locking out other mods without a clear compatibility pathway, and adding whimsical JVM options you'll no doubt remove when you realize users are just going around your toll booth.

Can anyone tell me if older minecraft launchers depend on a .minecraft hierarchy or can I just point them to another directory and keep versions away from each other?

Don't install crap to a default Minecraft install, it's just a recipe for headaches. Use Technic or MultiMC for any kind of modding beyond texture packs.

E: Oh actually I forgot that MC has a new launcher now, I haven't used the default launcher in over a year. Can it support separate installs in different directories?

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Vib Rib posted:

Jesus, this might have been the first adventure map I ever played. Can't wait to see what you do for Sea Den.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Vaah posted:

Jesus, this might have been the first adventure map I ever played. Can't wait to see what you do for Sea Den.

What map is it referencing? I doubt I would've played it but I'd like to hear about what it was about.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Taffer posted:

E: Oh actually I forgot that MC has a new launcher now, I haven't used the default launcher in over a year. Can it support separate installs in different directories?

Technically it can, but that isn't the issue. Since Forge has changed the directories it also uses, on top of making it difficult to add non-Forge-approved mods, we now have conflicts with using the pre 1.6.x directory structure alongside the new. If you stay strictly vanilla, you're ok, its when you start modding you run into problems. I think I'll have to go with a technic install of older stuff now, it seems inevitable.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

eh4 posted:

Technically it can, but that isn't the issue. Since Forge has changed the directories it also uses, on top of making it difficult to add non-Forge-approved mods

What mods don't work with Forge anymore? Anything that doesn't is basically from the Dark Days of modding and is hopelessly outdated. Either that, or it's made by some pretentious modder who refuses to even take a small amount of effort to work with other things.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Taffer posted:

What mods don't work with Forge anymore? Anything that doesn't is basically from the Dark Days of modding and is hopelessly outdated. Either that, or it's made by some pretentious modder who refuses to even take a small amount of effort to work with other things.

I'm double checking myself, but I think what eh4 is running into is something that couldn't happen on the old launcher. With the new launcher you can set up profiles that allow you to keep multiple versions of Minecraft installed, like the Technic Launchers have allowed you to do for a while now. However, in order to make that work the new launcher has messed up the "directory structure" as eh4 puts it. Folders are no longer in the same place and files (and other folders) are no longer in the same folders as 1.5 while using the new launcher, even when you're using a 1.5 install, and that's messing with mods that worked in 1.5. On top of that, Forge changed their setup for 1.6, which is less of an issue as you can use an older version of Forge to match the MC version.

Onean fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 29, 2013

Sirithil
May 31, 2013

Taffer posted:

Either that, or it's made by some pretentious modder who refuses to even take a small amount of effort to work with other things.

Of course we don't know anyone like that... *coughflowerchildcough*

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

Yesterday Was A Million Years Ago

mechaet posted:

Any chance this will find its way into Toast Crunchy?

Re: Redstone in Motion

I think that is quite the possibility, I plan to work on an update this week and will have a look at implementing this.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Mentioned on the Technic IRC yesterday, apparently Ars Magica stopped with the bullshit exclusive modpack nonsense.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1486184-ars-magica-v552013-updated-june-8/

quote:

So here's the deal. You want Ars Magica in your mod pack? All you need to meet are three simple conditions:
Your mod pack needs a link back to this forum post
You cannot make any money off of the mod pack
You cannot claim that you made any part of the mod, and you must give credit to the author of the mod (Mithion)
If these three conditions are met, then you have my permission to use it in a mod pack. Have fun!

:shrug: It sounds like hes pulling the same thing Azanor did with TC2, "Now that i'm working on the next one, anyone can have this one." Still, its a thing if anything is. Could be a fun thing to shove into Hexxit. :3:

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Isn't Ars Magica notoriously bad at compatibility with other mods?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Hitch posted:

I just downloaded Minecraft yesterday and am hooked. I installed the resource pack Sphax and then added Forge, but haven't done anything else.

Is there a set of mods that would be considered beginner or does it really matter? Just not sure if Minecraft is better played and learned Vanilla first before adding all the modifications.

Also, I'm considering trying the servers in the OP but was interested to hear if you could actually get stuff done on those servers or if people just terrorize everything so to speak. Really just looking for a cool group of folks to shoot the poo poo and build some cool stuff with.

Go with either FTB or Technic, or one of the other mod packs listed in the OP. You can skip the vanilla experience it's quite boring. Wiki's and youtube are your friend for learning!

thevortex-
Apr 12, 2013

Clockwork Gadget posted:

so far the only major issue i have come across in my private pack of 125 mods, is railcraft, it does something to the vanilla chestcarts and i get a crash when going into new chunks containing those items.

after removing railcraft and adding in dynamic tanks to appease my players the crashes have all but stopped, and we still run a very tech-mod heavy pack. but we also have thaumcraft in there too, with very few crashes.

Squirrelo
Mar 3, 2008

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Not incompatible so much as it is a huge resource hog. It will eat most of the processing power leaving other mods to screw up and give tick errors or act wonky.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
People claim it is better now, but I've never gotten Ars to play nice with any modpack. Whether it's just being a resource hog or having ticking TEs with its power network I had a ton of problems with it and eventually gave up on it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
When I started building a mystcraft tower to move that whole system out of my house's library (for lack of anything better to do), I figured the blue bricks looked neat enough to use in the construction. With a couple quarries that have dug about 30 holes in a flat plain, I figured I had enough. Except that 4 blocks of lapis per 8 bricks is a bit ridiculous and I quickly ran out. I had to manually mine for the first time in a long while!

Outer second layer is complete, but I want to add a third, smaller section. It's my most expensive building yet!

Also, my meat factory conveyor belt is terrible for baby piggies. I had to rip it out and replace it with a fall and Chronotyper because they would not separate from the belt edge properly and somehow slipped out into the floor proper. And my Vet station pipe refill system is a terrible kludge of an autarch gate always running and diamond pipes to send full syringes back into it. I think I have to experiment with PRC a little, so that it'll delay pulling items out by at least the idle period of the machine if the inventory is full.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pidmon posted:

What map is it referencing? I doubt I would've played it but I'd like to hear about what it was about.
Time for a little trip down memory lane!
Sometime around March 2011 me and Syrup were working on an adventure map called Splintered Coast, and it ended up abandoned. It had a lot of complicated rules and was made before modding became standardized and before a lot of really useful changes were made, so it was really difficult to work with.

It came with its own custom texture pack, so back then the island looked more like this.

There wasn't an NPC mod yet so all the NPCs were made out of cloth blocks, pumpkins, and paintings. We still managed some fun variety though.

It was made before there were books. There weren't even multiple kinds of wood yet. So all text had to be on signs, or more frequently, in attached notes. Rather than doing what most adventure maps at the time did and sending out story text one .txt file at a time, we made little comics to give the characters some personality.

It was doomed as a map, largely because of how little we had to work with, but we tried a lot of creative workarounds. We even had a trade system, involving a pressure plate behind a slot, an iron door, and a chest full of loot. In the end it was just too many rules we couldn't enforce and too many things we couldn't do so we scrapped it.
Now, of course, we have a full NPC system with dialog and built-in quests, trading, and all sorts of useful features. We can build in the ocean without leaving voids and whirlpools everywhere. We can use Extra Utilities to place blocks that will keep a 64-block area clear of monster spawns so we don't have to light up every inch of every island by hand, or the Angel Blocks from the same mod to build out in the open ocean without having to build up from bedrock first (lilypads work too, but those weren't in the game yet either). We can even build great big underwater areas easily because of working sponge blocks.
Hopefully Sea Den will fulfill a lot of what we wanted to do with Splintered Coast in the first place, making all of this much more viable for both the modders and the players, with fewer rules to slog through.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 29, 2013

The Penitent Man
Aug 8, 2012
I really enjoy this game.

Is there a beginners thread or something? I got Iron armor and then died horrifically in a shithole of lava.

This is the first game in an history of poo poo dl's from Steam and other that I actually come back to.

Help.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

The Penitent Man posted:

I really enjoy this game.

Is there a beginners thread or something? I got Iron armor and then died horrifically in a shithole of lava.

This is the first game in an history of poo poo dl's from Steam and other that I actually come back to.

Help.

Your best bet is to look up some "Let's Play" videos on Youtube, visual instruction seems to work best for this game.

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

eh4 posted:

Without Forge, there would probably not be nearly as many mods for Minecraft, and most of them would be incompatible...

Anyway. There IS a clear compatibility pathway. Mods have to use the mechanism introduced by the Mojang 1.6 launchwrapper and patch the Mojang classes at runtime using the way Mojang intended. Mojang however (and thats on them, really) did not include a way to launch with multiple Tweak classes. So FML includes a way to call other Tweak classes (basically that how Forge coremods work now btw.) when it's done. Basically, if a JarMod uses the intended Mojang way of patching in functionality at runtime, it should be trivial to integrate with FML.

This should actually allow for MORE compatibility between Jar Mods, although that depends on their way of patching the classes.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Yeah I haven't played minecraft or read these threads in a long time, but I was looking at the toast and omp modpacks and I have questions:
1.) Wasn't railcraft the mod that got sabotaged by the creator to make modpacks with it not work because he wanted direct downloads and all that? toast and omp seem like new modpacks but both have railcraft
2.) Is there something wrong with industrialcraft? It was one of the mods that seemed the most intuitive for me but it's not in toast or omp

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
1) There's more than one mod that falls into this category. I can't recall offhand if CovertJaguar specifically added malicious code to the mod, although he's been involved in his share of anti-Technic hysteria. Also, OMP and Toast are not official Technic team packs, so they don't have to care.
2) IC is outdated and outclassed in modern modding. Everything it did that was worth doing is done better by other mods now. Thermal Expansion, MineFactory Reloaded, and Modular Powersuits cover it. Big Reactors too, if you want to go nuclear.

Edit: the Universal Electricity suite is more similar to the 'feel' of IC, although I don't really consider that much of an endorsement. Some may disagree.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Yeah I haven't played minecraft or read these threads in a long time, but I was looking at the toast and omp modpacks and I have questions:
1.) Wasn't railcraft the mod that got sabotaged by the creator to make modpacks with it not work because he wanted direct downloads and all that? toast and omp seem like new modpacks but both have railcraft
2.) Is there something wrong with industrialcraft? It was one of the mods that seemed the most intuitive for me but it's not in toast or omp

1) You're probably thinking of Forestry, the author of which introduced WORLD DESTROYING BEES that would literally corrupt your world if it detected anything to do with Technic. No announcement or anything, or even any requests to REMOVE the mod from the pack. It was pure-strain passive-aggressive douchiness.

2) Per the above, IndustrialCraft is crap. It hasn't really changed at ALL since you last played it. It has been surpassed by those mods, but I'd also recommend checking out a mod called Mekanism, which has a lot of the feel of IndustrialCraft, but more cool stuff as well.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

1) You're probably thinking of Forestry, the author of which introduced WORLD DESTROYING BEES that would literally corrupt your world if it detected anything to do with Technic. No announcement or anything, or even any requests to REMOVE the mod from the pack. It was pure-strain passive-aggressive douchiness.

I thought they just caused explosions?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I guess I got attached to IC because the wiki is pretty clear and you could make a jetpack.

Is there a good wiki for the universal electricity modpacks? Having trouble finding good info for minechem and atomic science. And what mods would let you make a jetpack? Without a jetpack, the nether is impossible.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I guess I got attached to IC because the wiki is pretty clear and you could make a jetpack.

Is there a good wiki for the universal electricity modpacks? Having trouble finding good info for minechem and atomic science. And what mods would let you make a jetpack? Without a jetpack, the nether is impossible.

Modular powersuits lets you make a jetpack. Built into power armor which does a million other things.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

The UE wiki is notoriously bad. Look at Thermal Expansion if you're trying to figure out ore grinding/smelting as well as power production and things.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Gimpanse posted:

Anyway. There IS a clear compatibility pathway. Mods have to use the mechanism introduced by the Mojang 1.6 launchwrapper and patch the Mojang classes at runtime using the way Mojang intended. Mojang however (and thats on them, really) did not include a way to launch with multiple Tweak classes. So FML includes a way to call other Tweak classes (basically that how Forge coremods work now btw.) when it's done. Basically, if a JarMod uses the intended Mojang way of patching in functionality at runtime, it should be trivial to integrate with FML.

Got a link to this pathway? I'd like to see it. I've only seen the Forge side of this. I'm not sure that Single Player Commands is a trivial patch to upgrade, but I'm surprised that Rei's Minimap is still outdated.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Coming soon on InacioPack 2.0

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Just finished updating Artifice to 1.6.2, so you can grab the latest stable version of it here if you're interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
I dunno what's up with Ars really, it's been in our pack since the start with no issues at all, I expected to see some issues as the number of mods increased, but we're up to some 132(not including pams as anything more than one mod) mods now and still no real issues from Ars.

• Locked thread