Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Skyden looks really interesting, is it up on the Technic Launcher platform or do I need to DL and install it separately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

Someone put it up here - http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/skyden-pack - this isn't an official version put up by Vib Rib or anything, but I'm using it and it works just fine. It even comes with the map savefile, so you don't need to do anything other than mash go.

Alright, better question. Does the tekkit launcher run seperately from the install? If I put skyden over everything, will I then need to do a fresh install of MC if I switch to something on there?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Is there a good 'getting started with toast' guide somewhere? There is just so much stuff going on that I have no clue where to start.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So what modpacks have been updated to work with the latest patch? (If any, I know these things take time) I just installed it on my new computer and boy does it run a lot more smoothly for me so I'm excited to get some mod packs running if they're available.

Big Dig and Toast were my favorites and if they're updated for the new minecraft I'd be stoked to get them and start playing again.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So I'm using the Technic Launcher and I've tried both Big Dig and Tekkit so far and the game starts up fine and then about 20-30 seconds in the framerate slows to a crawl and I'm forced to quit out. I'm on Windows 8 and have a pretty decent processor/graphics card so it's not that.

Edit: The same thing happens while I'm in menus so it's not just a graphics thing, apparently.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Zebrin posted:

In the upper right corner of the launcher, click the gear. Find the Memory option and increase it to about 2G. Should work a bit better.

The tab only goes to 1GB. I tried setting it to 2 because I remember last time that being an issue.

I click the button and it just scrolls to 1GB and that's it.

Edit: I might be a massive idiot and not have java 64bit installed....

Edit 2: I sure the gently caress am.

Should I set it past 2GB?

Saxophone fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 23, 2013

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Is there any way to enable cheating in a single player game that you have marked as no cheating? I probably should have set it to ON when I created the world but alas I did not. I'm running Big Dig and I'd really like to turn on keepInventory.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Alright, couple of questions here. I've been out of Minecraft for quite a while, so I'm reinstalling the technic launcher and seeing what I can see.

1) What is this cool sky-based pack thing that everyone is linking? It looks neat.

2) I was wanting to use this map I found but I wanted to run some mods. Since the mods wouldn't spawn many of the ores and things I might need (I can always give myself some stuff as needed) is there a modpack that adds lots of neat things but doesn't rely on ore spawns and such? I guess a mod that adds lots of things but using the vanilla blocks mostly.

3) I don't have a three, but it seemed wasteful to have a 1) and 2) without having a 3).

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So I'm going to start running tekkit (I'm really enjoying Agrarian Skies, but Jesus the tedium involved at first makes me able to play it in small batches) and I was wanting to run a texture pack. It looks like Sphax is the most comprehensive, but 1) I don't know how I'd go about installing that texture peck (is there something to do this in the tekkit launcher?) and 2) is it the one that covers the most mods in the tekkit pack?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Agrarian Skies question: I have a 6x7 platform with a 5x6 patch of grass in the middle. So far, no animals are spawning on it. It's lit perfectly fine with torches, but an hour or so has passed ingame with no sign of tasty critters. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, I keep reading about a "dark room" or some such thing that allows me to control enemy mob spawns into a single room for easy murdering and collection. Would this just be a 3x3x4 room? Can it be made of wood, or do I need to use cobblestone?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

m2pt5 posted:

Check the biome. (It can be found on the F3 screen.) Mobs won't spawn in biomes like River.

It appears that my biome is predominantly Desert with River thrown in. My grass patch is split between Desert and Taiga. Does this mean I should place sand there instead of grass?

Or, at this point, should I just restart, cheat mode myself all the stuff I had and rebuild my base in cheat mode over something that won't possibly hose me?

Edit: So I cheat moded in a 6x7 grassy patch in a forest biome and no animals so far and now I'm not losing hunger either. I think I bugged something.

Saxophone fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 27, 2014

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'm not sure why I have so many drat problems come up, but alas they do.

So I've built a pulveriser and a stirling engine. Any attempt to place the engine result in the blue end facing up. This causes it to not connect to my pulveriser. I have redstone current running to it as well as fuel inside, but no amount of using the buildcraft wrench, or the hammer tool will change its' direction. Any attempts to right click the engine onto the pulveriser just result in the pulveriser menu coming up and Shift-right-clicking it with the wrench doesn't faze the engine. Simply right clicking it tool or not brings up the fuel interface.

I'm really starting to think I'm really dumb. Could be terrible luck, but jesus god I've never had so much frustration as I have getting engines to work in Minecraft. It's honestly right around the point that I tend to just quit playing packs because I build up a base and then start trying to get engines to work and... yeah.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I was playing Never Stop Toasting: Diet with a sweet setup, doing my thing, tons of stuff excavated and set up and I went to chop down a mushroom with an axe. I guess treecapitator kicked in and now when I load up NST:D through the launcher, my world doesn't appear in world selection any longer. I looked in the folder and it's still there.

Is there any trick to possibly recovering that? My base was awesome, in an awesome place, and had awesome things that I was working on.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Saxophone posted:

I was playing Never Stop Toasting: Diet with a sweet setup, doing my thing, tons of stuff excavated and set up and I went to chop down a mushroom with an axe. I guess treecapitator kicked in and now when I load up NST:D through the launcher, my world doesn't appear in world selection any longer. I looked in the folder and it's still there.

Is there any trick to possibly recovering that? My base was awesome, in an awesome place, and had awesome things that I was working on.

Sorry to re-post/quote myself but I'm just wondering if this means the world's corrupted and toast or if there's some form of recovery.

My base was smallish but it was mine, dammit.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So are there any packs or anything on technic or FTB that do bottania in 1.7? It looks interesting

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Serifina posted:

Progress does! And it's an excellent pack besides.

You wouldn't happen to have a link would you? Can't seem to find it...

Also, thanks! Gonna get playing first thing in the morning.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

For what it's worth this thread is much less crazy than the main MC thread. I can't even imagine what MC Forums or reddit must be like right now.

I was pretty sad to log on to reddit today and find that most everything is really level headed. I mean, there is a fair chunk of "Rip MC" going on, but I got a mostly hopeful and "wait and see" type vibe from reddit. This thread has been pretty good, too (seeing lovely, toxic modders attempting to take their ball and go home helps). The main MC thread here though was... just... yeah.

I mean, I chuckled and logged into reddit thinking, "heh, if the GOON THREAD is this bad, I can't wait to see what redd-- oh. Ooooh. Oh, dear."

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So I've got Ender IO set up with a Sterling Generator, a SAG Mill, and an alloy smelter set up in an "L" There is a chest on either side of the SAG mill, one feeding it and the other chest being where it should be outputting. There is also a chest on top of the Allow Smelter where it should be outputting. (I've set these up in the options, so that I'm pulling from where the finished product in the SAG mill should be pushing towards)

What could be making this go wrong?

It's basically:

AG
CSC

Where A = Alloy Smelter, C is chest, G is Generator, S is SAG Mill, and there is an additional chest on top of A.

S is pulling from the C on the right and set to push to the C to the left. A is set to pull from C and push to the chest on top of it.

Edit: It seems they're just not pushing the finished product into the next chest. They pull them just fine. Any ideas?

Saxophone fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 2, 2015

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Taffer posted:

What version are you on? Someone was just having the same issue on Progress with the latest update.

Hah. Fun fact, I'm actually running the Progress server pack as single player (Because your pack is awesome)

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Dumb question time. In Ender IO how do I charge an item? I empowered some of my stuff and can't seem to find a charging station or anything.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'm trying the seed breeding thing in Regrowth, but whenever put a wheat seed and a carrot seed across from one another, all I ever get are more carrots. According to the questing guide this should be giving me sugar cane.

I'm setting it up like it says to and I've got Mandrake to work just fine, so I feel like something's gotta be wrong.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Are you making sure that the block between the wheat and carrots is sand? Cause sugar cane grows on sand, not farm land.

Welp.

I'm dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Blind Duke posted:

It feels like the terrain generators back in pre-indev creative only Minecraft had some fantastic large cave generators that never got ported over

I remember one of my very first bases I built was basically a house on top of a MASSIVE system of caves. I finally got everything walled off and basically just lived inside the house/hole in the ground. I carved out stairways in all directions against underground cliffs and everything.

I really miss that, honestly. It seems like a lot of the below ground was neglected in favor of above ground stuff. Typically once I find a suitably cool place, I build a base and live right there. At that point, a robust cave network and underground system is most important because save for my buildings and a farm, the above-ground world past like 100 blocks in whatever directions doesn't even need to exist. I wonder if someone can dust off that old gen system and see what was making caves structures so cool.

Also, RIP Gargomel.

• Locked thread