Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Yeah I haven't played minecraft or read these threads in a long time, but I was looking at the toast and omp modpacks and I have questions:
1.) Wasn't railcraft the mod that got sabotaged by the creator to make modpacks with it not work because he wanted direct downloads and all that? toast and omp seem like new modpacks but both have railcraft
2.) Is there something wrong with industrialcraft? It was one of the mods that seemed the most intuitive for me but it's not in toast or omp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I guess I got attached to IC because the wiki is pretty clear and you could make a jetpack.

Is there a good wiki for the universal electricity modpacks? Having trouble finding good info for minechem and atomic science. And what mods would let you make a jetpack? Without a jetpack, the nether is impossible.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Apparently even with all the recommended settings applied in the tech launcher and to java's runtime options, everything but vanilla minecraft is unplayable.
I used to be able to at least play Tekkit lite, but now no dice to even that. My computers been formatted and started up again a few times since I last played.
Then again, it's also running pretty noisy with just firefox now.
Should I be talking to the haus of tech support about a possible problem with my system? Is there any option that might make things work? Or should I be looking into getting a new system soon?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Hm, Toast actually works now, at least after the initial chunks load. Cool.

So, could I have some tips on what power grid to make in the early game and how to progress it?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Apparently my problem is I had not noticed the video settings
Turning everything down to the lowest setting makes everything run like a dream. Played way too much with Toast last night. Greg's prospecting tool looked iffy at first but it's made mining way more fun.

I'm eyeing omp-a, as it seems like it has a lot of awesome poo poo like towers, dungeons, tools and buffs, etc. But it's minecraft so they all take ores to make. Are there any prospecting tools in that mod that I'm not seeing?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Aw crap. Ores appearing everywhere is nice, but prospecting is so much more fun than just digging randomly.

Latest toast game I managed to get a shitload of diamonds, which usually never happens, and then I used the equivalent exchange stone to make them in to iron. Diamond becomes four gold each becoming 8 iron, so you don't have to dig for each vanilla recipe separately. The tinkers addition of slimes kind of made that way too easy, though, they appear a poo poo ton, split into little slimes, and each of them has a chance to make one of those little slimes that can drop that red thing you need eight of to make the stone.

I am kind of frustrated that I made the power suit but I cannot add flight capabilities until I reach the nether fortress. The entire point of making the suit was to make infiltrating the nether easier so I wouldn't have to build bridges everywhere, but apparently I need a full tesseract, which requires a magma crucible, which requires nether brick. I'll have to have some test runs with the suit first. Next weekend. Already overplayed this last night. :negative: Have a whole folder of plans for how to make my next base and what to put where.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

The gently caress did I do and how do I undo it

I've been madly mashing my keyboard and nothing works

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Rutibex posted:

I think this may be NEIs inventory search function. Try double clicking the search bar.

Tried that. Did nothing.
Some of the ui features become visible if I type in it, but only for certain letters and strings, others do nothing.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Since we're asking simple questions: How difficult is making your own modpack? I kind of want to make something like the omp-a-beta, but removing extra biomes and mo creatures and putting in hexxit's mining configuration, enchanting, and project zulu creatures. And waila. Why doesn't EVERY modpack have waila? I also miight also want to put clay soldiers into toast, it would give me a reason to actually build large factories and power plants and stuff (to play god with tiny clay people). But of I dump all the mods into some folder or something I won't know what to do if it doesn't work.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
So I was playing around to see how good the biofuel generator is (answer: it's the Best). I had it working from a 3 by 3 tree farm, but I got curious about whether I could up the efficiency by using multiple crops.

The harvester and fertilizer refuse to do their jobs.

Not a single one has been harvested and there's 7 fertilzer in the machine
What gives

Also is there a way to make some kind of timer with the slaughterhouse or other machines in order to make a automatic animal farm that only slaughters animals every so often instead of all at once.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Sunblood posted:

Try using Redstone Conduits instead of buildcraft pipes for power.

Just tried that, nothin doin.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Sorry, just fixed it. The harvester was facing the wrong way, and barley is not fertilizer compatible.

Trees work better with this thing anyway.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Why not just go "gently caress it" to the new versions and just make stuff for 1.5

I for one don't give a poo poo about official minecraft at this point.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Do the cool trees in forestry DO anything pr are they just more trees

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
The invasion mod seems to be that general idea. One of the reasons why I need to take the effort to learn multimc so I can try it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

babies havin rabies posted:

Close, but won't really fit my needs. My server has, at absolute most, 4 people on it at a time. Most of the time it's just two people. Given TFC mob strength, this is a bit much to handle. I don't want to limit my travel just at night, either.

If there were a mod that made monsters spawn very sporadically during the daytime (and not burn up), that would be more what I'm looking for. Basically, I want more bears.

Hm. I thought the mod pack worked more like making things into a tower defense game and replacing night spawns with portals you could turn on and off, but I guess that would make too much sense.

One thing that's turned me off from minecraft mods is how people seem to think the game needs MORE combat with even worse enemies. Minecraft combat is not fun, and the enemies it has are really badly designed. But I've never seen any mods that try to fix it, just ones that either give you more weapons (doesn't help that much, the weapons aren't really designed with situations you encounter in mind) or makes what's there even less fun (mo creatures adds wraiths that fly around and shoot fire to the night mobs GEE THANKS, I needed early game to be more of a near impossible slog). But pretty much every minecraft enemy is the opposite of a fun challenge and they don't work together to make a fun or fair challenge. About the only thing that works against them is cheap tricks with block setups.

The peaceful table is pretty much the only decent fix for this (remove combat but the option added is kind of balanced). At the very least I think a zelda-style lock-on option would be neat.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 17, 2013

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Yeah not really playing moddedcraft right now, but I'm catching up with the modpacks and had one question

Why did hexxit just add an utterly bizarre and out of theme quantum mechanics mod while STILL not including balkonweaponsmod or most of all Thaumcraft.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
An engine that can take anything from vanilla but runs on quantity. Like it converts whatever you put in all at once, based on quality of the block and how much of it, but it's like quantity squared times quality.

A diamond will get you more power than a gravel block, but a whole stack of gravel block is better than even half as many diamonds.
This way you actually have a use for the stacks of gravel, dirt, and cobblestone if you aren't building anything serious.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'm thinking of putting together a modpack. Since it seems like enough of a time commitment that when I actually get to doing it I'm going to have to set aside a chunk of time, I'd like to make sure I have the Good Modpacks I want in it before starting, putting in things later sounds like a pain.

Things I find fun: It's probably going have tinkers consturct, achimedes ships, chococraft, balkons weaponsmods, falling meteors, legendgear, and dimensional doors as the Must Have Mods. Having a permanent repairable hammer that makes huge tunnels to ride a bird through, that's fun. Breeding birds that do cooler and cooler things, that's also fun. But what I want to do most is build an airship and fly around the nether on it blasting things with a shotgun. The other mods add unique tools and experiences instead of just "wand of making things grow faster".

Growthcraft and herblore, though I have not played with them, will probably also be added because smoking virtual weed and virtual drinking booze with the previous activities might be even funnier.

All this means that I'll probably be using a pre-1.6 build

Things I do not find fun:
I tried TC4. I don't think I'll ever be able to see what the deal with this is. I couldn't get past TC3's research either, but how is this less lovely than that in any way beyond "you don't have to mine resources". At least with TC3 once you found things that gave you the right aspects you could get more whenever you needed to, you didn't have to find incredibly difficult to find types of infused ore to even start, and you didn't have to play a stupid and tedious minigame to get research done.

I'm not including any mod with engines powered by anything other than coal, either

Recent Nether experience: I make a bridge to a glowstone hanger and a tiny "firebat" I cannot see comes out of nowhere and sets me on fire and knocks me into the lava. There's a saying that death is fun in games so long as you can blame yourself for your mistakes. Nothing short of "not entering the nether until you have fire-protected superarmor" could have stopped that.

I briefly tried a modpack that had pixelmon in it to try out archimedes ships and holy poo poo it's the loving worst and most annoying thing.

So things I'm looking for:
I want more mobs than the vanilla ones and to be able to play the game with combat involved, but I am just tired of how loving CHEAP the shots the current mobs take at you are. Most modded mobs are even loving cheaper.
So I'm looking for decently coded mods that add cool new things to find in the wild and possibly that make combat less insufferable and feel like there's some actual strategy beyond "mining forever and getting the perfect tools and enchantments before doing anything ever".
I also want some added longterm goals, but as I said before, TC seems to just suuuuck.

It's disturbing how much I hate this game at the same time want to like it and end up playing it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
*Least difficult: Ender ore lets you mine ender dust to form into pearls from the ground, sometimes mining a block suddenly spawns an enderman.

*Yes, EE3 is another option, though using it kind of feels p. much like opening NEI and asking it for a pearl imo.

*Next up, magical crops allows you to grow plants that give a piece of an ender pearl when harvested, though they take a lot of materials, grow slowly, and many are needed to form a full pearl

*Most difficult: Dimensional Doors spawns weird booby-trapped dungeons with pearls in many of the chests.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I think that I've picked out which mods I'll use, thanks for the suggestions. Looking at the pages to collect installation information, though... I didn't realize how loving nasty the people making them are. Almost all of them that I've checked are like CONTACT ME, PERSONALLY, IF YOU WANT TO USE THIS IN A DISTRIBUTED MODPACK OR gently caress YOU YOU'RE GARBAGE. I mean, seriously?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Do the plus pack and toast guys ask for permission for the things they include or do they just do as they wilt

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Someone recommended Deadly World when I was interested in making a mod pack. Makes everything more difficult
Infernal Mobs supercharges normal mods and gives them powers
Dungeon Mobs was another suggestion, it adds D+D monsters
Project Zulu is a bit more reasonable than mo' creatures

There's also a poo poo TON of mods that add new dungeons.
Twilight Forest for instance, adds a hard mode world
Battle Towers adds HUGE towers of monsters and treasure
There's a bunch of others, check out the contents of Hexxit and the disbanded Omp-a modpacks for some suggestions.

but personally, I get my rear end handed to me even when I'm cheating in the best equipment

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 6, 2013

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
So before leaving for the holidays I thought I'd finish making a modpack but I'm still kind of confused.

My modpack is a bunch of modss for 1.5.2.
The technic guide seems to just say "dump everything in the right folders and it'll all be alright". The guide I actually followed explicitly about resolving conflicts between multiple modpacks says to look in your .minecraft folder for the mod's config file.
But when I right click on the instance I made, I'm not taken to a .minecraft folder and I cannot find anything resembling a config file. What should I be doing here?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Rita Repulsa posted:

So before leaving for the holidays I thought I'd finish making a modpack but I'm still kind of confused.

My modpack is a bunch of modss for 1.5.2.
The technic guide seems to just say "dump everything in the right folders and it'll all be alright". The guide I actually followed explicitly about resolving conflicts between multiple modpacks says to look in your .minecraft folder for the mod's config file.
But when I right click on the instance I made, I'm not taken to a .minecraft folder and I cannot find anything resembling a config file. What should I be doing here?

making sure this doesn't get lost in the bottom of the last page

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

ZarquonHigardi posted:

Config files are generated when the mods are loaded for the first time. Just start minecraft with as few ( core) mods as possible the first time, and add additional ones, changing IDs to resolve conflicts as necessary.

Another (less time-consuming) option is to piggyback off someone else's work and start with some other modpack's (with a similar list of mods) configs, remove the mods you don't want, and modify the configs from there.

Thanks, I've gotten things started now.
Question: Some of the mods I've included either did not generate cfg files or generated blank cfg files. Will they generate them when the other block id conflicts are resolved?
Also: Can item id conflicts be resolved the same way that block ids are (just by changing them in the cfg file)? I don't think I've encountered them yet but just in case.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
maybe I should have started My First Modpack with something less ambitious than something with around 70 mods for 1.5.2 :shepface:

Well, so far it's nice mindless work for a weekend in between commitments.

E: Apparently the values I changed the block IDs to went out of bounds of allowable IDs.... any way around that other than meticulous editing all block ids into consecutive values?

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 15, 2013

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Urgh tried a few things and things aren't working for reasons incomprehensible.
Going to just go on to more productive things, but next time I'm 1.) Just adding a few things to Hexxit first 2.) Checking out some other modpacks on technicpack's site that have some of the mods I'm trying to get to work and seeing how THEY do it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
yeah so what I'm doing with my night is playing with modpacks and once again trying my hand at making my own.

So far it's actually going smoothly (and this is probably as far as I'll get before leaving for the holidays), I've mostly by only adding one thing at a time and using someone else's core mods.
Got a question though: I found a collision in ids between two items - and in fact as a test, created one - and neither time could find evidence that it had been detected by mcedit (clicked generate crash report after loading up minecraft w/ mods). So is there some other file I should be looking at? It's 1.5.2 if that helps.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I made my own 1.5.2 modpack! And it doesn't crash!
There might be some kind of ID mix up even though I used a program to try to keep that from happening because I've been getting high level swords from breaking grass but otherwise it seems to be running okay.
A tip: Do not use witches and more, like, ever. Uses a ton of IDs, makes your world generation crap out, it's not worth it. I thought the structures looked neat but it generates the same ones on your world over and over. I didn't think some cute mod some dad made for his kids would take that much work to put in, but really what was I expecting. Had to remove it from the pack.

I got to play with it a little this morning, and it seems to be working okay now. This is the closest I've ever been to making my "own" video game. Sure multiple other programmers made the mod packs but it was MY idea to put them together and MY choices. I am the Idea Man.

Also I put in Special Mobs because I thought maybe it would shake things up with some mild occasional changes to mods.
First time venturing down to a cave...

TWANGTWANGTWANGTWANG
all launched seconds between each other from the same off screen skeleton

Anyway, it was a fun little project but I won't be able to play it until I get back from the holidays, but the little I've played of it is already pretty neat.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
What really makes the smeltery worth it is for the tools it can make that dig/mine 3x3 holes, and you get to keep your tools forever and just repair them when they reach durability 0 with ingots instead of having to make a whole new one.

I kind of like metallurgy better for the doubling thing. Metallurgy has all the functionalities of multiple mods - you can progress furnaces and chests through tiers, you can make alloys and double yield with a grinder (also upgradable). This gives you actual choices to make about what you do with the ore you get.

But everything is always coal/lava powered. You never have to carefully arrange and micromanage a bunch of engines and wires, which is the main deal that's kind of driven me away from industrial mods.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
What does BTW (better than wolves not By The Way) actually DO and why do some people actually like it enough to give up on mods that give you quality of life features and gameplay additions for it

I once skimmed the wiki and I didn't see anything that was really like "WOW MINECRAFT NEEDED THIS", like all I remember is you can collect wolf poo and theirs more grinding levels added or something? I didn't see anything that seemed like a good direction for minecraft to go in.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
So I added some things to my 1.5.2 modpack and now a lot of stuff won't spawn. Like one or two things from the old mods spawn but then I go to biomes where other thigns from the same mods should be spawing and mc has a message "unknown entity class <name of the entity>" and nothing happens. I tried removing the things I added and it's still not spawning. The config files to the modpack in question (grimoire of gaia 2 and potions and more) do not have entity ids listed. And besides, I removed the mods I added that MIGHT have overwritten things (dungeon mobs, meteors, invasion to name acouple, maybe dragon mounts?) and poo poo's still not spawning. Something similar seems to be happening with dimensional doors - the dungeon entrance structures were spawning when I added them and then they weren't.

Luckily I have a previous instance where poo poo still works but I'd like to know how this might have happened before I go back to playing with this. Really I don't have time to as I have a big thing I need to be really need to be working on IRL that determines my future instead but that's never stopped me before :shepicide: and I'm kind of curious. Maybe the irc in the OP could be helpful?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Most would probably recommend Thaumcraft.
There's more to hexxit than you probably realize but a lot of it takes a poo poo-ton of resources to use. Harken Sythe adds magic and enchantments but you need several ender eyes to even get started.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Alright checking past versions of my pack, I was still getting unknown entity type errors when entities were supposed to spawn even back then, even though the entities in question are definitely loaded in the pre-game loading text. The hell is going on here.

If I were to take my modpack-making questions to an IRC channel or elsewhere, where would be the best place to do that

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

mechaet posted:

I'd be willing to take a look at it if you have it on the technic launcher.

I will later.
I think I found the issue, apparently there wasn't one. I removed project zulu and I still had the unknown entity messages - which turned on when said entity spawned. I'm kind of confused but I guess that spawn rates weren't high enough for both zulu and the other mobs? I think I'll put it up on technic after ironing a few more things out and thinking up a cute catchy name.

tonic316 posted:

I feel this way about magic mods i.e. - thaumcraft, ars magica 2, blood magic. They are fun to do one time and then the next time its just tedious and not fun to get to the fun parts.

In my modpack I have Arcane Scrolls for magic. It's pretty elegantly simple. You just make a book and use that book to write scrolls, you unlook new scrolls with xp levels, and the arcane ore you dig up is your mana. The arcane ore starts with 100 charges, but does not stack. I'm bad at getting levels so I don't know how well it works but I like the system and its lack of bullshit.
For things like flight I included armor movement, where you just craft armor that lets you super jump (only problem is that they are flimsy and flight requires having coal in your inventory).
Basically I'm attempting an interesting single player experience.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I should put up my modpack this weekend
I'm just disheartened because literally nothing in it worked at all, and I'm not sure they answer all the problems I had with minecraft anyway.
Like Potions and More not only adds more potions and things to grow, it also allows you to change the potion stack size for vanilla potions. Which I liked the idea of. Potions being unstackable is a loving bizarre decision that just makes the normal game unplayable to me - getting to having potions takes a lot of work and more difficult combat demands buffs, why the HELL can't you carry more than one potion per space?
Except even though in an earlier stage it worked, it doesn't now.
Growthcraft adds things to grow and build and lets you make juice with regenerative properties, but somehow the recipe that turns a bucket and three empty bottles doesn't work. And so on. I'm very frustrated because I have no idea what goes wrong, why, or what to do about it if anything, if it's my fault or the mods or what.
Anyway, I guess I'll quit whining and put it up this weekend.

One lighting mod I really liked was dynamic lights.
It makes it so that torches in hand actually light up areas so you don't have to leave trails of torches everywhere and choose the ability to see poo poo or have things spaawn, it actually makes mining absurdly more fun. It probably does something horrible to how things are processed, though.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
If you have a furniture mod included have a chest that only contains a stack of 64 toilets

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Growthcraft for 1.6.4 is out
It adds a new thing, you'll never expect it BEEKEEPING. Yes, MORE BEEEES. Make their honey into mead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Is there a way to have keepInventory true and mobGriefing false whenever a new world is made?

• Locked thread