Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

metasynthetic posted:

Oh hey, a thing:

This is hilarious to me as I just today finally found out the name of the mod* with a similar-looking force wall thing it I was looking for. Looks good! Seems more flexible for use than the one I was looking for.

*Defense mod by the guy who makes Sufficient Number of Biomes

Mutamu posted:

I was thinking about meat earlier. Has anyone created a mystcraft page for a meat block material modifier and/or a liquid meat liquid modifier? :getin:

I agree with this idea. One time I found a world once I refer to as "hell meatball". Meat oceans / blocks would have made it even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have any clues about the magic bees hives that only spawn in special locations? Far as I can tell there are at least 4 of them, I've found 2.

There are these netherrack/yellow ones in the nether that look very similar to Ardite Ore, but brighter colored. They seem to appear with/in veins of nether quartz, proximity to a nether fortress may or may not be a factor.

There are Oblivion Hives in the end, and they are easy to find. Just fly under the island and look for obsidian poles hanging down, they will be on top of these, just dig into the end stone to find em.

Supposedly, there is one that looks similar to redstone, and spawns in redstone veins, but maybe only in biomes that count as hills? I have yet to find any of these.

There is also supposed to be one that spawns in the overworld, near (on?) bedrock, surrounded by end stone. May or may not have to be a "magic" biome, whatever that actually means in the overworld. I did some sample drilling to bedrock on some mushroom islands without any luck there.

These hives do not show up in NEI for me, but it's possible the pack I am playing needs to update it's plugins or something. As a side note, it's possible to collect these and the other magic (and I think extra, but not regular) bee hives using the Silk Cutter from Thaumic Tinkerer.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Am I doing something wrong, or does MFR not particularly support the natura glowshrooms? Attempting to make a farm that turns them giant and then chops them down, like you can with vanilla mushrooms.

Planters will plant them, and harvesters will harvest the normal sized ones. Immediately after they get planted, even if the small shrooms setting is no. Fertilizers don't seem to make them giant either.

Side note, I think the railcraft player trail things that were causing a bunch of problems before are still causing problems with plants growing. My mushroom farm refused to work yesterday since I had stepped through the grow area, but it works fine today now that the trail has timed out. Rubber tree farm had similar issues. Running it in a custom pack on minecraft 1.5.2 with MFR 2.6.4

Side note 2, is there any way to farm Mushglooms from Twilight Forest? I'm guessing no.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Public service announcement: using MFFS to build railcraft tanks owns.

Also we've got far to much ocean on our server, I may start copying mystcraft void world islands into them. Basically, try out MFFS's building options, they are kind of amazing.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
That reminds me, some of the thaumic tinker tools say stuff like "cannot be enchanted through normal means" but then suggest enchanting them. Is there some other way that works? Silk Cutter I know mentions this. Maybe something with the magic fabric or whatever? I'd really like to get my wand of dislocation enchanted to not break immediately for example.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Nastyman posted:

Can Rock Crushers output to pipes? I've got a literally endless supply of gravel and I want to have it crush 24/7 in the hopes of getting some extra diamonds and gold, but it's filling up pretty fast and I can't seem to find a combination of pipes and chest that'll make it spit out the results.

Seems to work with AE buses as well.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I like the portable teleporter from...one of the UE mods, but that's a fairly expensive item.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Multiblock thing that drops sand or gravel across the engine for power, and then you use conveyors to move the sand/gravel back up to the top.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Sir Lucius posted:

An engine that actually uses any of the worthless buildcraft oil that spawns everywhere and isn't a pain in the rear end to maintain.

Engine that runs on wealth. You just store the oil into tanks and by doing so you become more rich and thus crush more poors into power. It is a metaphor.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Extra Utilities has sound dampening blocks, one for rain, one for animals. It's a good mod.

edit: Engine powered by throwing trash items in to burn, so it's an engine and an incinerator. Engine that becomes more efficient the more mods you have installed. Engine that runs on engines. Maybe something that harnesses the suction power of explosive decompression.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 5, 2013

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Force fields are sort of an alternative to quarries. Set them up with the things that make them break blocks and place them into an attached chest, power it, watch as it beams a hole of your desired size/shape. :science:

You can also use this technique to copy floating islands from mystcraft worlds and then paste them into other dimensions!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

mechanicalFactory posted:

You have to use the custom mode module.
You use the module in your hand to set two corners of a box of what you want to copy, and when it is set, you put it in the force field projector and it projects the field in the shape of whatever was in the defined area.
Then if you use the field stabilization module, it will replicate the area exactly, assuming you give the force field the resources to make the structures and terrain in the area.

If you use the module that breaks the blocks and puts them into a chest, you can tear the island down and keep all it's component blocks, then move them to your desired location for re-assembly.

It takes a lot of time and power but yeah, it's something that does indeed work. You can also use this method to move mountains or whatever, or to program buildings you want multiple copies of, etc. I use it to build 9x9x8 tanks, for example.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Hagop posted:

Like MFFS force fields or something else?

I believe those are the ones. The ones that are red when off and blue when on. I get the force field mods mixed up sometimes.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Item frames? Hook your DSUs into your AE network and have storage monitors on them. Takes up more space and power and all but it's pretty rad.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I would love to hear other Tinker combos people like.

I've made one of those 3x3 range hammers with silk touch for gathering quarry stone and the like. I also did some type of silk touch axe for looting bookshelves from the twilight forest. Can't remember my materials offhand though, this was on a previous server. Probably the nether alloy.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Not sure that anyone in here is really looking for any other mod packs at the moment but I thought I would pimp this one anyway. An internet friend of mine puts this together for us and we have fun with it. it's just been updated to 1.6.4, and doesn't seem to have any major problems at the moment. If you find some, let me know though. The only servers that have ever ran this pack have like maybe 5 people on at most ever so there could be some obscure interactions that break things, hard to say.

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/199x-pack.126424

We added in BoP which has made the world a hell of a lot more interesting for sure. It's probably pretty similar to other mod packs out there, originally it was a custom version of Big Dig ages ago. So yeah it has Big Dig style ore distribution, hooray.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The best part of liquid metals is that they can spawn as lakes and such in mystcraft worlds.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Ego Trip posted:

Are there any mod packs with BigDig style ore generation for 1.6 or 1.7?

This does http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/199x-pack.126424

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I also noticed while playing around with B-team that morph and hats seem to work so for awhile I was running around as a pig with an afro.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Hydrogen Generators from Mekanism are what I use for power. Make an Ender IO reservoir for infinite water, pump that into the electro separators or whatever they are called, output the H into the generators, output to power storage. You give it some power to get started and then you can loop the output back to the separators and it'll power itself from then on.

This is the setup I use in all my pocket dimension factories, for example. I usually do them in sets of 5 at a time, if I need more power, just add 5 or 10 more separators/generators. The only real downside is that the wiring can get ugly and they are LOUD so if you are using this in a pocket dimension for example, build them up at the ceiling and the factory at the floor, or whatever. Extra Utils mufflers don't seem to work on them.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Thaumcraft 2 was probably the best thaumcraft though. Those portals ruled, and you could do all kinds of other helpful poo poo with the same methods.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I think stuff like void chests and using liquid end goo as reactor coolant is hilarious as it implies you are dumping unwanted items and radiation into the end somewhere. Now you know why the endermen are so pissed.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Man I should have thought of that. Excellent use of Statues mod. I'd probably attempt my own version of that if the pack I've been playing on had Dimensional Doors, gonna have to remember that.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Factorization Packager? Dunno if that's in the pack you are playing but it can combine any 2x2 or 3x3 thing automatically. Like ingots into blocks and whatnot.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

PiCroft posted:

I've been trying to get Pink Slime from Minefactory Reloaded and I can't figure out how to create a sustainable Slaughterhouse setup. When I turn it on, it just grinds up everything alive within seconds and I'm not sure how to make it so I can get it to work without having to constantly restock it with animals through leading them using wheat, or to turn it on, wait for it to begin grinding and then quickly turning it off before it slaughters the whole herd.

I've tried watching Direwolf20's tutorials but its mostly a "here's how to build it and what it does" rather than a guide on how to set it up in a useful way (and its also 35 goddamn minutes for each of a three-part spotlight)

If you have Soul Shards (reborn, preferably) in your pack, use that to spawn your mobs for free.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If you have dartcraft available, forget all about sprinklers, watering cans, bonemeal, and fertilizers.

What you want is Time Torches.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
What tools/items/etc do you guys like for disabling rain as a non-admin? I'd prefer something science-y but the forestry machine is a bit of a pain. I know there's an anti-rain thing in Totemic, what other options are there?

I know about the muffler in extra utilities too, but it's the visuals that cause FPS drops, not the sound.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm playing Yogscast Complete and MFR works fine for magic crops. Do beware of the seeds that get extra :numbers on them, make sure you are routing the non-colornumbers versions to your planters. And don't bother with fertilizer, just make dartcraft time torches. I'm not even running it at close to as fast as it could, and I'm still making plenty of excess seeds to turn into bio fuel. The only downside is that you won't get the nature essence you sometimes get if you farm manually.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm playing Yogscast Complete and am trying to figure out some sort of elevator doors. Open to suggestions. The main thing is that it needs to be semi compact as the ceiling of one floor is the floor of the next floor. I've been trying Galacticraft airlock doors today which seemed good but the ceiling/floor thing means the frames touch and gently caress it up. I tried drawbridges without much success also, but that might just be me being bad at using them.

It would be cool if I could slide microblocks across the doorway when closed and then have it open when a player is near, but that's probably not happening.

Any hints on this? should I try doing something with Remain in Motion or Truss or something like that?

Alternatively I could use suggestions on what to do for lighting that looks high tech. May end up using Ender IO powered lights, dunno.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 12, 2014

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

mechaet posted:

Remain in Motion template frames sounds like what you're looking for, for both the elevator and the doors.

Should have clarified that I am currently using the elevator blocks from OpenBlocks. I'll look into those though, sounds like it could be an interesting way to do it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I've built exactly one Big Reactor thus far and it was a suboptimal build I am sure, but does it's job pretty well. I'm slowly building/moving into a larger base and want to make a bigass reactor there. Is there a scaling point where the size does not work / becomes not worth it? I was thinking cryotheum cooling (passive reactor) as I have a bunch thanks to a mystcraft world, but would enderium be better?

Basically my current plan is to just make a big rear end reactor with checkerboard control rods and cryotheum, good plan or bad? I'm hoping I can make it power most of my base and two to four laser drills (at least one of which I will probably tune to yellorium to keep the reactor going).

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Scob posted:

Might not be the right place to ask but my little nephew loves the minecraft toys and I was wondering if anyone knew if they sold them in stores anywhere? I checked walmart and they didnt have any so I was wondering if it was an online only type of thing. He claims not to remember where his dad bought him the stuff he already has.

I have seen some at Walgreens for whatever reason.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Oodles posted:

I'm playing with the latest version of Yogscast through the ATLauncher.

I've about to make my assault on the moon. But without Mystcraft I can't use linking books.

What's the easiest way I port to and from the moon. Is it having to use rockets?

I use Mekanism Teleporters personally.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
You can also use a rednet port and a PRC to do this I would imagine. I've got one set with a simple thing that just reads the % of power buffer and feeds that number to the control rods.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I have ender IO power conduits that disconnect from the power tap visually but stay connected functionally, similar to what Schmerm is talking about. Not a big deal but yeah, something that happens sometimes.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Ender IO has powered lights, but they are not super powerful sadly. It is cool having lights that require power and can be turned on and off all hidden in the ceiling though.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Treecapitator should be quick because it mimics real world physics. You don't need to cut every "block" of a real tree to get it to fall down, you just need to cut one and the parts above come down too. Taking extra time per block makes zero logical sense, only balance sense (unless you want to argue that the time represents you cutting each single block). And axe damage is the only remotely logical balance I think it can have while still being a useful mod. Minecraft is already a huge time sink, mods / parts of mods don't really need to be time sinks too. Time spent waiting on a tree to fall is time not spent making your fortress look bad rear end, or whatever.

MAYBE they could put in some effort and have it so some trees are harder wood and thus require a stronger axe material or something I guess, but that seems like a feature that would not really be within the concept of the original mod's basic-ness.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Magmarashi posted:

Well, 'miming real world physics' is sorta what the mod is supposed to be doing . It's the basis of the existence of the mod, not an argument point being brought in without any context.

Yeah, exactly. Someone made the mod because in normal minecraft you cut the bottom of a tree and the rest of it just hangs there in mid air for no reason. The time benefit is also a compelling feature, but I'm sure it had to start with "why the gently caress is this tree floating?".

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Mostly bees are a way to automate production of materials, and an in-game "hobby". There are (were?) some things that you could only get infinite amounts of via bee breeding. If you like fiddly things than bees are great because there's all kinds of weird bullshit restrictions on where and how bees will work. You are probably better off just going into Gendustry and having bees make a lot more sense if you want to get into them.

There are also effects you can get for certain types of bees, so you can make mob spawners or summon lighting and poo poo with them if you want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
These days several mods have in-game tutorial books, so that might help. Check NEI for book and you can probably find many of them.

Knowing how to use NEI is huge, of course. Click on stuff in the right to get the recipe as you sound like you know, you can also press R over something for this. Press U while over something to get things it's used in, which is a big help. Make sure to click the little arrows that show up on either the R or U screens as there are probably multiple pages of potential info. Extra Utilities actually has text info on one of these pages when you hit U on any of it's items that will tell you more about it.

Otherwise...browse wikis, look at videos on youtube if you have to (you probably will), and most of all experiment. Try to think of problems you have in-game and try to come up with a solution. Like if you need a lot of a certain material try to come up with a way to generate it. If you have an excess of a material, try to come up with something to use it for. Another good idea is to gently caress around in creative mode and check out the tabs for each mod you want to know more about and just try poo poo out and see what happens.

• Locked thread