Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

Anyone using the Toast pack having trouble finding the appropriate 'decorative tin' block used to construct space stations? The only block I can seem to find (aside from the ones that spawn with the station) has some weird lines on the top and sides and overall doesn't look very good.

Mess around with where you place the tin, it affects the output result. You'll want to do it with a crafting table. I don't remember which set will give you what you want, but it doesn't show up in NEI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Taffer posted:

What mods don't work with Forge anymore? Anything that doesn't is basically from the Dark Days of modding and is hopelessly outdated. Either that, or it's made by some pretentious modder who refuses to even take a small amount of effort to work with other things.

I'm double checking myself, but I think what eh4 is running into is something that couldn't happen on the old launcher. With the new launcher you can set up profiles that allow you to keep multiple versions of Minecraft installed, like the Technic Launchers have allowed you to do for a while now. However, in order to make that work the new launcher has messed up the "directory structure" as eh4 puts it. Folders are no longer in the same place and files (and other folders) are no longer in the same folders as 1.5 while using the new launcher, even when you're using a 1.5 install, and that's messing with mods that worked in 1.5. On top of that, Forge changed their setup for 1.6, which is less of an issue as you can use an older version of Forge to match the MC version.

Onean fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 29, 2013

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

You're going to run in to this problem no matter what you do. A large amount of people just do not read manuals, tutorials, guides or instructions. Whether it's people throwing together an IKEA bookshelf ("I don't need to read manuals. :smug: Wait, what's this extra screw used for?"), gamers not paying attention to dialogue or tutorials or any other example, all you can do is provide the information so if someone comes to you and asks how to do something you can point them to the explanation and let them know it's right there, they just need to read it.

For an example, years ago my Dad took our family to a Superbowl party, and a bunch of us kids went and played the N64 on their other TV. We were playing a new file on Donkey Kong 64 and got to the point where you get the Coconut Shooter. The kid who owned the game piped up, "Even though we've got it, we can't use it yet. We don't know how to." Funnily enough it says right when you get the item the buttons needed to use weapons, and I just happened to catch them as the kid mashed buttons through it. I was the Cool Kid with the controller for the most of the night after that.

Sure, we were a bunch of stupid kids then, but this attitude rarely disappears with age. In the old Xenoblade LP thread Lethemonster both showed off mechanics that other people hadn't known about and found out about mechanics from other posters in the thread, most of which were mentioned, if not completely explained, in the mandatory 1-4 page tutorial pop-ups that pause the game until you've gone through all of the pages. There's hundreds of millions of other examples abound across the internet, and I know I'm guilty of doing it too. You can't ever prevent it without physically being next to the person, so the best you're going to be able to do is make sure it's available to the players so it's up to them to read or ignore at their own peril.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
So it seems that IC2 is finally undergoing some semi-significant changes for 1.6! With as little information there is (for example, I don't think GregTech is on the server but it might be) it's hard to say for sure, but I get the feeling that they're kinda going in the wrong way here and shooting themselves in the foot after already being knocked down by Thermal Expansion, Applied Energistics and Modular Power Suits.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Today's episode from Direwolf20 continues with more IC2 stuff. Nothing too major, but there's a few head scratchers there. Most importantly, you'll want to listen to Soaryn at around the 19 minute mark.

IC2 Cells do not have a recipe, and will not until Xycraft is in. I think he mentions released, but I can't quite hear him and it's probable that he doesn't mean finished even if he did. Cells are of course used for Geothermal Generators (Which are now slightly nerfed by outputting 12000 EU instead of 20000 EU per bucket of lava, at the same rate of 20 EU/t though.) so those are uncraftable unless you cheat in Cells. The reasoning Soaryn gave for this makes some twisted sense, but it's still completely ridiculous.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
A video just went up showing off a little more on Thaumcraft's new research system will work. I'm quite liking it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fCS_KNAzsw

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Vib Rib posted:

That said, it's still way too much trial and error, and it doesn't in any way resolve the problem of being a tedious chore once you've completed it the first time. I don't mind teching up AE, TE, or MFR. But that research system doesn't look anything more like something I'd want to do twice.

It depends on how random it is. It immediately tells you what thing you're researching, so there's no guesswork there. Presumably, every research will have to same requirements so after your first time you will, aided by a wiki or such if needed, know what's needed to light up the symbols. After that it's just a matter of moving the symbol to the correct place and then you're done. If the page for a research looks the same every time then you can skip the identify step and move the symbol as needed. If the symbols for the elements remain the same, then you can also skip the identify step as well since it looks like there's only one Fire and one Magic symbol on that page, you just have to play Where's The Symbol, and only if you don't have the needed element to show it right away.

Admittedly, it doesn't completely get rid of the chore for every time after the first (edit: And with the way Minecraft is set up it's almost impossible to completely get rid of it and keep the research aspect, at least without putting in shortcuts that will let you skip tiers of research*. That might work, but with how easily available that information will eventually be, why have individual research in the first place?), but it's now simply replaced by a little minigame instead of requiring you to mash your head against an RNG grinder every time.

*Edit2: Making research tier based, rather than item/mechanic based, would actually be a welcome change in my opinion. That very likely isn't going to happen though, so I'll take what simplifications Azanor does put in. If I ever got fed up with it, then I would just stop using Thaumcraft.

Onean fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 28, 2013

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Rutibex posted:

That looks....tedious in the extreme. I've got to say nothing about these reveal videos is getting me excited about Thaumcraft 4 at all. He hasn't shown off any new features at all; just that wands are going to be prettier and more irritating to use and now a research system that is largely trial and error. Thaumcraft 3's research was kind of novel; hunting for the various aspects made a lot of sense based on what you where discovering/what you where researching. It was kind of boring the second time around, but this looks boring from the start.

I guess I'm missing something then, because this system looks a lot less tedious to me. Discovery seems to remain the same; he didn't pull up the research page until he tried Fire, and combining Fire and Magic makes sense for a wand cap that makes your wand shoot fire. As for the combined aspects, the Aspects of Magic node had a flashing icon on it at the end that wasn't there before, which leads me to believe those will be readily available to look up after you've discovered them the first time.

The only thing I can see that immediately jumps out at me as worse is that the discovery doesn't pop out a little hint when you mouse over it. I'm just guessing on this point, but it's possible he removed them and I'd only be a little sad if so as they were usually so vague that they were useless to begin with. It's also possible that you can pull that info up in the Thauminomicon after discovering it but before finishing your research, by clicking on the discovery in the research table or, something that would be really nice, you can click on the node before discovery but after researching something connecting to it so you know where to begin rather than randomly throwing aspects around to start a discovery.

What makes it seem so tedious to you guys?

Eox posted:

Liquid Vis/Taint was actually a lot of fun, and had a lot of potential to be different from 'Yet Another Minecraft Energy Concept', but unfortunately the author can't iron out the kinks in a mechanic and instead prefers to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

This isn't really fair. If that was the case then research would be gone too, instead of actually being better than the horrendous time sink in TC2 where you had to throw stacks of items into a block and let it randomly make one of multiple different types of pages, which had to then be thrown in the same block with even more stacks of items to get a small chance at getting a random new page to your book. Not to mention the reasonably high chance of losing stacks of items or individual pages to failed research. If you weren't using stacks of bookcases or stacks of diamond blocks, you were just wasting resources.

And really, aspects are more of a different energy system than liquid vis/taint. At it's most basic, what's the difference between a solar generator that puts EU into a battery box through wire compared to a Vis generator that puts liquid Vis into a Vis tank through Vis pipes? The liquid Taint was the only quirk there, but EU had its own quirk through EU/t scaling; too much and your machine would blow up. At least when you start with the aspect system in TC4 you're going around the world and examining items, blocks and creatures to get you primal aspects, which can be combined into compound aspects which you can begin collecting after discovering them individually or after discovering the base aspects needed. Aspects also seem to be player bound, so you don't have to set up some kind of tesseract equivalent in order to have access to your full stock of aspects at your friend's base or in the Nether.

Onean fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 28, 2013

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Much better put than my overly wordy paragraph above.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Rutibex posted:

I just dislike the decoupling of aspects from items. I thought that part was really clever. Iron ingots have the metal aspect, but combine them into a bucket and you can get void too! He could have just got rid of the part where the item are destroyed and it would have been perfect. Combining different base aspects to get more complex ones doesn't feel like "research" to me, it's too abstract and disconnected from actual Minecraft.

I'll have to double check the video later, but if you pause and read the pages I think he does mention items along side creatures and blocks. The process you use to get aspects is by pointing the thaumometer at something, and it doesn't consume whatever it is, so it sounds exactly like what you want. I could be wrong though, and you can't use items.

As for the compound aspects being unlinked from items, that's not the case. He mentions being unable to get Lux from anything until you discover the base aspects, but then you can collect them in the same way as the rest.

I'll have to recheck the video later, as I'm posting this from my 3DS, about to get to sleep.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

thevortex- posted:

funny you include Xycraft in that list, its becoming a 'legacy' mod in its own right, with no updates since 1.4.7 its joining redpower on the 'also ran' list of past minecraft mods, took it long enough to become usable as it was, then it disappeared into the 'updating.. no ETA' bin

I haven't been keeping up with Direwolf's stuff since I last mentioned the IC2 stuff. For anyone that has, are IC2's Cans working? Soaryn asked that they wait until Xycraft was on the server before making them usable, as I believe they are using some of his code to display liquid for an item icon without needing to make separate icons for each liquid, which he's using for buckets.

It seems a bit ridiculous to me that he made that request, why not just ask for credit? Or does the perception that someone released a feature on a beta/alpha piece of software, that isn't even available to the public yet, first matter so much to him?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Unless the configs have changed it's independant and a changeable setting as well. For every component you can change basically every value so you can remove all of the heat generation from modules or make every module not use power.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Dementedghost posted:

could you use computers to transfer the storage cell from one area to another, have a teleporter that sends you through the internet! (I can finally punch you in the face for disagreeing with my youtube comment!)

Oh drat, that would be awesome.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Falcon2001 posted:

Unless something changed or I misunderstand your question, you should be able to set the port in your server.properties file (server-port=25565, replace the port with the one you want)

I was thinking of suggesting that as well, but I'm not sure it affects the LAN option which, going by the name of the mod, is what they want to control.

Edit:

KingLemming posted:

For those who wanted updates:

http://teamcofh.com/wiki/index.php?page=current-information

I apologize for the extremely slow web-hosting.

Those are some awesome additions. Looking forward to the update even more than I was before!

Onean fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 28, 2013

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Vib Rib posted:

If you showed a caveman modern technology, he'd think it was magic.
If you showed modern man magic, he'd think it was technology.
If you showed a Minecraft modder either, he'd say it was overpowered and make it cost four diamond blocks and a nether star.

Ahahaha, yes.

Enzer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wex07eUbcxA

Huh, so it breaks it down into their components, wonder if it can do the opposite and merge them together again.

I loved when he gives out a quick, casual glance at this monstrosity of a set up just before the video ends. This might actually be something for those people that want liquid vis back, even if it's not everything they want.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Anticheese posted:

A generator with an output dependant on how many adfly links you click.

Which then ties in to other features of this and other mods.
  • RailCraft Boiler production is now on a sliding scale, more clicks give you better ratios. Boiler efficiency halved across all fuels.
  • Forestry Bees use your clicks as a multiplier on production. Zero clicks is 0% production, 1000 clicks is 100% current production, 2000 clicks is 150% production, 3000 clicks is 175% production. Production is capped at 199.99...% with 100000 clicks, 50000 of which must be from Forestry clicks.
  • GregTech power consumption is inversely proportional to clicks, power production is directly proportional. The formula is such an advanced form of mathematics that you must be connected to the server farm so it can perform the necessary calculations. (It is quickly discovered the server farm is just a web service checking to see if your computer has any modpacks installed. If so, your info is sent to a list used by GregTech to give you passive aggressive warnings during any Minecraft startup. It is touted as the best Minecraft modding innovation in years by FlowerChild who steals half of the code and tweaks it to make your browser history include BDSM featuring wolves and other animals. Whether or not it detects a Forge install is not included in this procedure.)
  • IC2 hammer and wire cutter durability is affected by clicks. 0 clicks will use one tool per ingot, 50 clicks give you current durability, 100 clicks double durability and this continues in a linear fashion.
  • Eloraam's availability to update RedPower is rumored to be affected by clicks. Nobody knows how, or if it's true or not. Eloraam's only mention of it was vague and the only question it answered was whether or not she was still alive.
  • Steve's Carts total build time for a cart is directly proportional to your clicks. People keep mentioning that this is likely the opposite of what was intended, but the feature is never fixed.
  • Universal Electricity bug frequency is decreased dramatically by clicks. None of the UE modders know how this is possible, nobody remembers actually programming the feature.

A hot new game quickly takes the Modding sub-forum of the official Minecraft Forums by storm shortly thereafter.

There are no auto-clicking upgrades or amount-per-click increases available in this early version and the assets are charmingly rough, but this screenshot directly from an average MCF poster will attest to it's promising future.

Oh god, that was way too much effort for such a lovely post/image.

Onean fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Nov 5, 2013

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Shadowmorn posted:

:smithicide: What was it all again? IC2, BC/TE, Classic, ?, ?

I think UE and GregTech were the others, if I'm remembering correctly.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Shukaro posted:

C418 just released a new Minecraft album.

It. Is. Amazing.

https://c418.bandcamp.com/album/minecraft-volume-beta

It really is. I mentioned this in the main MC thread, but even if you don't like MC's current music you should really check this album out.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Sir Lucius posted:

I finished my road this morning! Actually one of the more satisfying things I've done in minecraft.

drat. :stare: For some reason over half of those images just made me instantly think of Myst.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Vib Rib posted:

So I guess the new popular mods of choice are Never Stop Toasting and Progress?
I've been away for some time. It's interesting to see that while there's been some alterations here and there, most of the popular big name mods are the same as they have been for months. I wonder if modding interest is dying down and new talent is just getting scarcer.
The good news, it seems, is that the existing A-List mods are still being polished and improved with every update.

Thermal Expansion 3 has only recently come out of a beta state, right at the start of the holiday season. A lot of the more popular packs, technic packs in particular, were using that as a backbone for tech, so they couldn't release a 1.6 version until it got to a stable point. Now that it is stable, once things settle down from the holiday rush I imagine we'll start seeing more beta packs for 1.6.

xzzy posted:

There's also the 1.7 issue.. every time I go hunting for a mod I run into forum threads where people are scrambling to get their code work with the new version.

There's also this issue, now that Forge has released its 1.7 beta.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Definitely recommend at least a paper binding for an extra modifier slot, since those weren't a major part of the tool last I played. For the rod I'd go for as high of a durability multiplier as you can easily get, but it's not as important as that extra slot. I'd even say paper rod, but the multiplier on that is so low I don't think it's worth it.

Khorne posted:

(paper/green slime I guess? not 100% sure).

Paper binding with a green slime rod makes for an excellent start, using blue slime if you can't find a green slime is a good substitute though.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Vib Rib posted:

As of 1.6, blue slime is 2x and green slime is only 1.5x, whereas before it was the other way around.

Welp. :downs:

I've been waiting for 1.7 stuff, what can I say. :smith:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Something like MCEdit. I don't think that will work with B-Team since it might be too old, but I can't think of the other program that does the same thing off the top of my head at the moment.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The Yogscast YogLabs series just covered a really cool mod called StarMiner from a Japanese developer. I don't know how the developer managed it, but it allows you to walk on certain pads, whether they're placed on the floor, wall or ceiling. It apparently also has ways to effect gravity without relying on the pads, but I'm not entirely sure how that works with just a little messing around on my own after throwing it into Attack of the B-Team.

The gravity pads.

Something you can do inside of a bit of worldgen added by the mod.

The mod they show a little bit of in the beginning (that I skipped over in the link above, if it works) is Sync, which also looks really cool. It allows you to transfer consciousness between clones of yourself, which are made through machines powered by treadmills operated by animals. Their previous video covered it well enough.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Vib Rib posted:

What's the mod in Attack of the B-Team that makes leaves decay really fast?

Read through the config's for the pack. I can't remember which one it was, and I'm at work and can't check for you, but I do remember one of them had an option for it. I don't think I was a mod dedicated to leaf decay, but an option to another one, maybe Open Blocks? That's just a wild guess though.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Evilreaver posted:

Wait, so one tesseract per machine? :psyduck:
E: I suppose four machines per tesseract, but still

E2: VVV I'm having a bank of 48 pulverizers, so with 4 buses each, that's a ton of buses. It's also a ton of Tesseracts while we're on the topic.

No, try Export buses going to the Tesseract, and then on the other end you have your other Tesseract attached to a line of Itemducts which then attach to your Pulverizers. Two tesseracts, 6 Export buses, infinite Itemducts and Pulverizers.

Edit: That must work, right? That seems a rather large amount of redundant tesseracts if you can't.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Hagop posted:

So why use a tesseract at all in this case instead of just a chest or ender chest?

Good point, the ender probably would and depending on how many items you needed a regular one might.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

AceClown posted:

How do I catch the stuff coming out of the sifter when using an autonomous activator other than standing next to it?

Also, Direwolf20 built a flowing water trough* over his automated system that carried the items to a regular hopper. Seemed pretty nifty, though I'm not sure how it compares resource wise to President Ark's suggestion, though it can be expanded by more sifters per source block.

*Video is Pahimar's view, as I haven't actually watched DW20's videos in a long time.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Vib Rib posted:

I'm sure most other people have figured this out already, but every crafting table you make (that won't be summarily crafted into something else) should be immediately recrafted by itself in the grid to produce the more table-looking version, at least. This version, unlike the vanilla version, can store items on its own grid, so if you are making a complex recipe and forgot one piece, then leave the table, those parts will remain in their shape on the table, rather than puke themselves all over the floor.

Do they work with InvTweaks added key+click modifiers and extra keys yet? That's something for TiC I've always been annoyed by, mostly the extra inventory you can get for it. Better Storage, or whatever it's called, as well. That mod's even worse since it's all storage. W/S+click is so handy, not to mention middle mouse to evenly spread out items in the crafting grid. It doesn't seem like it when you first start using them, but after a while now InvTweaks changes are as needed for play as NEI is for me. :(

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

President Ark posted:

A recent yogscast video also had them pulling from adjacent chest inventories, although that might not be in the current modpacks. Still, :eyepop:

Place them next to a certain TiC tooltable, I forget which one, and you can mess around with TiC's armor. :ssh: I forget all of the specifics so you'd have to look them up yourself, but it's not half bad, even if it's still a poor replacement when compared to MPS.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Ciaphas posted:

Arsing god damned hell I am so tired of mistakenly turning all my broken gold into electrum. Tinker's construct now officially annoys the poo poo out of me. :mad:

Don't leave molten metal around in your smeltery if you're using it as your main source of ore processing. You can have up to 10 drains on a 1 z-level smeltery, and unless the extra ore stuff in AS is different everything works out to an even ingot amount. I like to process my stuff in batches of 9, so it's really easy to pull out blocks of metal.

If you don't have enough liquid for a full ingot, you can just drain it into a cast and break the casting table, or if you want to keep it around just set up a drain that you can swap TE portable tanks around with.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It is likely because of the sharpness, which you got from leveling the tool up. See the Skill Level: Master? That normally starts out Clumsy or somesuch, and every time it levels up you get a random modifier based on how you leveled it, plus an empty modifier slot every other level or so, as well. Edit: If you get a modifier from level-up, it won't show the x/50, just the base modifier.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Pidmon posted:

That's a preview for a Part Two, presumably we'll get the TNT/Sand apocalypse in that video

You might want to double check the link. It is part two, and what they show is much better than a TNT/Sand apocalypse.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Pidmon posted:

What's the effects of that one (I am also in the 'everything is expensive' continent, whatup)? Only played with liquid glowstone before.

The only part I remember is that it puts out a redstone level dependant on how much liquid is in a square. Source is 15 and it scales for flowing redstone down to 1, unless I'm misremembering or the numbers have changed.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Pidmon posted:

and one player's inventory starting with an autonomous activator?

Can't speak for the other stuff, but this part they actually mention about halfway in the video that each of them cheated in one(ish) item. Sjin chose a Builder's Wand, Duncan chose 3 AAs (don't know why he got 3) and Lewis hasn't yet said what he chose or had his inventory on screen.

Edit: (Joke at your expense about not paying attention goes here.)

Onean fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 8, 2014

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, I figured, and I can't blame you. Although, they do seem to actually be reading some of the quest stuff. Who knows if they'll skip that one all important piece that someone always manages to skip at least once in almost every single series they do, though. :argh:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Here's an unrelated AS tip: if you're ever worried about falling off your little slice of land, take a couple Ender Pearls and make the Warp Book and a Warp Page. Set your Warp Page to your pool of water, because you will still take falling damage if you've fallen far enough, and after putting the page in the book set it to an easily accessible slot. If you're playing single player the book will pause the game when you open it, allowing you to choose your pool at your leisure. The book can hold up to 54 pages, so it's also great for getting around your island and saving time and hunger. Just make sure you're standing on a full block when you set your Warp Page. If you're standing on a half block you'll warp just underneath the surface of the block and will fall through to your death.

Edit: The book also works across dimensions, so if you find yourself in a tight spot in the Nether you can just warp back home.

Edit2: Woops, shouldn't forget to mention that you don't want to use it from the Book Binder since it will crash your client.

Onean fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 14, 2014

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

McFrugal posted:

Yes. I always use full blocks for the corners of my pens. Actually I've stopped using fences entirely because no matter what I do, animals will just clip through them.

Have you tried Walls? They seem to work better for me, but that's entirely anecdotal so I'm not sure if it's just me. They're also a bit easier to get since you get your Cobble automation up before Wood automation.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Tzarnal posted:

Some tips: Bring a Silktouch pick, that'll prevent 90% of the drat things from appearing. Second tip, do not engage them, run away, wait for them to despawn. Bring some good armor anyway and some bottles of milk. There, now the nether is just a scary place instead of murder town. When you get access to flight in some form its basically no longer a threat at all.

Also, bring along a Warp Book with a Warp Page set to a pool of water back at your main base. It pauses the game when you open it so you can stop panicking and jump to safety right across dimensions and put out the fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The Warp Book works fine in multiplayer, it just won't pause the game. You'll have to be a bit proactive and not wait till you're down to two hearts to use it when you get in danger.

• Locked thread