Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
You should throw dart craft up there in the mod list. It's a tad OP but still super fun. You can have a pickaxe that pulverizes ore on the spot, some engines that do 8 mj/tick with water and force going into them among other things.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1686840-151-152-dartcraft-beta-0118/

Edit: also a wrench that lets you move MFE's and such and still keep the energy. Also it can grab spawners, chest, any block really and let you move it without impunity.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Hitch posted:

I just downloaded Minecraft yesterday and am hooked. I installed the resource pack Sphax and then added Forge, but haven't done anything else.

Is there a set of mods that would be considered beginner or does it really matter? Just not sure if Minecraft is better played and learned Vanilla first before adding all the modifications.

Also, I'm considering trying the servers in the OP but was interested to hear if you could actually get stuff done on those servers or if people just terrorize everything so to speak. Really just looking for a cool group of folks to shoot the poo poo and build some cool stuff with.

Go with either FTB or Technic, or one of the other mod packs listed in the OP. You can skip the vanilla experience it's quite boring. Wiki's and youtube are your friend for learning!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

ducttape posted:

Is it possible to make a mob grinder output directly to liquid and item tesseracts? If so, is there a particular configuration that is needed? I am trying to do such in bigdig, but I am getting neither mob essence, nor leather from my cow grinder

Yep, I did it on a FTB ultimate. Just put the tesseracts directly on the grinder. And then hook your item one to a AE or BC system, and the liquid one to a tank.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Does the laser drill mine force ore if we have dartcraft installed?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So I am running two MFR farms that are 25x25 and two that are 15x15. Two of them are oak trees (the 25x25), one is wheat and the other is cotton (the 15x15). My problem is our wheat farm is barely producing any extra seeds. We have a ton of wheat and it keeps the plot of land planted and harvested but there are only a few stacks of seeds and they are sitting in the planter. Is there a reason for this? I do notice when I visit sometimes I'll pick up seeds and saplings on the ground.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Prokhor posted:

How are you routing seeds back to the planter? Depending on what pack you're on I would recommend using insertion pipes. Insertion pipes put items in to a container of they can take it and bypass it if they can't so you don't have like diamond pipes splitting it in half but most of them fall out and disappear.

The planter works fine I believe as I have a full field of wheat at all times. I am just not getting a good set of seeds sitting in my ME system for having a 15x15. I have an item tesserect sitting directly on the planter. For the harvester I have an ender chest slapped up directly against the harvester. Then another ender chest is hooked up to an import bus into my ME system.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

senae posted:

It might be bad luck. Wheat gives between 0 and three seeds when harvested, so your total number of wheat seeds won't rise as quickly as your total number of carrots or whatever. So long as the number is rising I'd say you're doing fine.

Could be that, however when I used thaum craft golems we had a boat load of seeds. Also should my oak tree farms be having random saplings on the sides just chilling?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

I do not want to make this again, even in creative :smith:

What's the best way to make an automatic power system? Ease wise? I can't chunk load the nether, and I don't want to do anything complicated, I just want a lot of power so I can screw around with power suits and quarries and stuff.

Napkin math here but my two 25x25 oak MFR tree farms were bringing about 300 oak a minute. And a 36HP solid boiler was using 12 coal a minute. So I could power 25 36HP boilers with that setup. And its self sustaining, you just have to convert the oak to charcoal.

I have since moved onto ethonal and a forestry tree farm with a super tree as I don't like have 2 areas chunk loaded and those 25x25 mfr tree farms drop FPS by a bit.

RaspberryCommie posted:

I only need one more type of mod to complete the whole ensemble though... anyone know of any good wireless redstone mods? I know Chickenbones didn't update his for 1.5

He did and it's actually included in the FTB unleashed which is ran on 1.5.2

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 18, 2013

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gregtech is my bitch :smug:. That pink dust to the left of redstone is chrome and iridium to the right of redstone. I really should make a fusion reactor but gently caress that :effort: Maybe someday when I am really bored I'll do it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

RaspberryCommie posted:

What mod are those monitors from?

Information Panels.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
A generator that is powered on iridium. :unsmigghh:

Is there a reason you guys don't talk about/use dartcraft? Is it because it's associated with FTB and this thread is mainly a technic player base? The mod pretty much falls inline with what you guys seem to enjoy. Fun mechanics, not grindy, new types of fun. It can feel cheaty at times however.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

PiCroft posted:

I've never seen Dartcraft in any of the modpacks I've tried so its primarily because I haven't heard that much about it. On reading up on it, maybe I need to watch the tutorial videos to see everything it offers but it doesn't seem to add anything that I don't already have in Big Dig so v:shobon:v

I haven't really played with bigdig but off the top of my head it adds.

• Armor that you can buff to let you fly temporarily, punch things for high damaged that also gives a bleed effect, run really fast, repair itself, increase drops all on the same armor pieces.
  • A wrench that lets you pick anything up and it will keep its settings (lava in an engine, tesserect settings, eu in a batbox)and place it back down.
  • Easier way to spawn withers.
  • An mj engine that can get up to 16mj/tick.
  • A wand you can make that lets you buff it to do different things like, run faster, heal hearts, teleport one way to a spot you setup

That's just a few things it does.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Limerick posted:

I was using it and then stopped because the skinless cows creep me out. :ohdear:

hahahah That was the best part and I totally forgot about that. You can shear cows for their leather instead of killing them.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

PiCroft posted:

I never really understood the appeal of bees. I get that certain materials can be gained from them, but it never really seemed worth the time and effort to learn the intricacies of yet another mod, especially when you have to factor in breeding bees over several generations to get some the nicer things.

Bees IRL are awesome though :3:

Because if you know how to use bees and have it setup properly you don't need to mine/quarry/laser your materials. Bee's make everything!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
What is the hold up for the major mod packs to be released on 1.6.2? IE - FTB,Technic?(IDK as I don't play technic). Is it TE3?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Are they going to take away the cap for redstone energy cells with RF? And the cap of 100 using an energy tesserect? That was one thing I never liked about MJ was the 100mj cap in tesserects and trying to power forestry machines that would take a minimum amount of MJ but could take a lot more if it had access to it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Taffer posted:

That has nothing to do with the fact that it used MJ, that was just a choice on the part of the developer. Tesseracts and energy cells will be very different in the new version, though.

Yea if they can make it accept unlimited that would be cool. Then I could just run a huge line of engines instead of having to figure out how many engines divide into a tesserect evenly (if possible) so I am not wasting energy.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

KingLemming posted:

The Tesseract cap is gone, yes. They only move RF, however. There's no good way for them to accept MJ and function how they do. Conduits will auto-convert from RF to MJ.

Energy cells are tiered now, so the transfer rates are 80/400/2000/10000 respectively, or 8/40/200/1000 in MJ.

Fantastic!!! That's exactly what I was hoping for. The power source doesn't matter. As long as all the machines work with RF this will be awesome.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

KingLemming posted:

No, nothing in TE accepts MJ. This includes conduits. RF only. Conduits are able to output to MJ receptors, however.

The first tier of Energy Conduit only requires glass.

Will we be getting more engine choices?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Edit: <nevermind> - taffer covered showing the recipe in mod spotlights.

And this guy was pretty good http://www.youtube.com/user/quetzi74 (his later videos) but it looks like he doesn't do them anymore.

Also is factorization mod still a thing? Because wrath lamps are awesome but love to loving crash the server randomly way into the servers life. And then after a few reboots they are good. :iiam: Is there any replacement for a wrath lamp on 1.6?

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 17, 2013

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

m2pt5 posted:

The latest version of Thaumcraft 4 has added a lamp that spawns additional lights in an area around it, and it's made from amber bricks. I haven't actually tried it yet, but it sounds like it has a similar purpose/function to wrath lamps and Greg's floodlights.

Edit: I use deep storage units from Minefactory Reloaded for mass storage; I've tried barrels before, but the capacity limits always annoyed me.

From what I understand gregs lighting uses the same process as wrath lamps to do the extra lighting. Which is fill empty air spaces with invisible light blocks. And that's where the whole issue happens with those empty air spaces conflicting with some other block. Does the Thaumcraft 4 stuff do the same thing?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Alkydere posted:

So I'm assuming Liquid Coal is more energy efficient than normal coal with TE3? If only to make up for having to cook it in a magma crucible at least.

Isn't there a tool tip that tells you how much energy it burns for? There is one for EU at least.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Extra Utilities 1.0
https://imgur.com/a/t9x1d

Someone needs to make a better quarry then BC will be obsolete completely and never needed again. Yes mining laser works but some people like getting a poo poo load of sand,dirt,cobble.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

Someone recommended Hexxit awhile ago and my group of friends has been really enjoying it. One thing that throws us off a bit is how clunky the movement system is. I'm not sure if this is a Minecraft problem in general or just specific to Hexxit but people appear to warp around sometimes, there is a lot of hitching and etc. I've got it running on a really beefy server and my upstream is fine, is this just a result of Minecraft 1.5.x being terrible or something? It's disconcerting to see a chocobo moving around while the person riding it is 15 blocks behind and warps to it every 5 seconds.

Boats do the same poo poo. I think it's a minecraft and vehicle thing. IDK about 1.6 or 1.7 but boats definitely did it in 1.5 and 1.4.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

dijon du jour posted:

Is there a mod that adds a "quick stack" function like in Terraria? Stowing all my loot after a long outing is starting to get really tedious.

Hit space bar when clicking on your inventory to throw it all in a chest or AE system.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm getting back into the game and I have a simple mod question:
What's the name of the mod that allows you to do things like display XYZ in a small area (instead of the f3 mess) and has the light indicator for mob spawns?

F7 will show you where mobs can spawn if there isn't light near by. Yellow means it can spawn only at night and red means it can spawn at any time. I might be wrong about what the red boxes mean.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Big Reactors mod spotlight by Bevo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hpDmczcgGs

Might help some people out if you can stand his annoying laugh.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Hagop posted:

So my BR research has lead me to believe that about 1000 RF/t for 0.25 mB/t is as good as it gets. Let me know if any one finds a more efficient setup.

As note the server I am on is back on standard BR settings.

Do you mind posting a picture of your setup and settings? I know the point of this mod is to figure it out and experiment but I'd rather just steal someone else s design and move onto other stuff.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

President Ark posted:

That seems pretty reasonable. I think what they're trying to avoid is something addons in WoW did for a while, which was having intrusive donation requests/advertisements pop up ingame when you first logged in.

e: Also gonna need some copy-pasted chatlogs/MC forum posts of delicious modder tears (especially the ones on the FTB team - you know the ones :colbert: ) stat.

Yet zygors still exists some how.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
And I assume making stuff not work in other launchers, like gregtech working with Technic is not allowed anymore?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gerdalti posted:

I really want to put up a small server for a few friends of mine. I can't seem to find a pack that works correctly though. Can anyone make some suggestions? TechnicPack preffered, but not required.

Mod's I'd like:
Tinker's Construct
GalactiCraft
MystCraft

Anything beyond that is just icing on the cake, but those are the big 3 they're asking for. I'm pretty new to the MC Modding though (despite buying it way back when it was still fresh and broken and $5 or whatever). They Wylker pack looks good, but I can't seem to find a server version.

GalactiCraft and Mystcraft aren't the most server friendly mods I believe. And if you don't know what you're doing when making worlds in Mystcraft you can make a server cry.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Faldon Haaalp. I can't get the advanced computer to go to the advanced display. Here's my setup.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Erogenous Beef posted:

In the upper-right, is that... did someone build a QR code that you can only see via the minimap? That is sweet.

Yes, you should definitely go to progress servers dynmap and scan it on your phone.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

MechaCrash posted:

I hope that mDiyo pulls out of this nosedive into mentaltown. Tinker's Construct is pretty neat, and I'd hate to see it get diminished because of a feud with a lovely little man over his lovely little mod.

And if not, at least I get some new drama to watch. Better than the soaps, I tell you. :munch:

I hope so because greg is looking like the good guy in this with that awful warning message.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Taffer posted:

The new version is going to be very different. It's going to be more compact in certain ways, like being able to fit multiple busses in a single block space, but AlgorithmX2 wanted there to be more design thought required for larger, more complex builds. I think smaller setups will still be pretty simple and straightforward, but some of it will be different. I know the controller is going to be very different though, but nobody knows the details. Either way AlgorithmX2 knows what he's doing, it'll still be the same mod, just... Different.

Hopefully auto crafting will be better. It's still sometimes a crap shoot if its going to work or not.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Enzer posted:

So SpaceToad has come out of "modding retirment" to work once more on Buildcraft. This should mildly be interesting since he hasn't touched modding in two years.

Looks like they are already going the right direction even though its common loving sense.

Buildcraft - "We have plans to do away with item drops entirely."

https://github.com/BuildCraft/BuildCraft/issues/1396#issuecomment-31440096

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

greententacle posted:

My problem with the whole Gregtechlike tedious grind approach is that I'm always trying out new modpacks, which means I'm starting from the beginning all the time. I wouldn't mind a bit of grind if I only had to do it once, but screw going through all that multiple times. It also means that if there's high end material requirements, I may never get around to actually building it. I'm always on the look out for more early to mid game ways of doing things, I haven't really gotten to the point where I have so many resources I don't know what to do with them or that is 'basically playing creative.'

I feel this way about magic mods i.e. - thaumcraft, ars magica 2, blood magic. They are fun to do one time and then the next time its just tedious and not fun to get to the fun parts.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
We only have the thaumcraft harness on the progress server and I really like it. It's not super easy to get and you have to refuel it every so often and use enchants if you want to make it fast. But even then its not super fast like MPS can be.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

fondue posted:

You can enchant the harness with haste and really move fast.

Yes I am aware. My harness has haste 3 on it and with a glider and holding shift you go pretty darn fast but still not near as fast as a MPS on max settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

mechaet posted:

Aside from Chisel and Artifice, does anybody have a favorite decorative blocks mod? I'm wrapping up this new pack and still have a slot or two available for decorative mods.

Wylker I would have totally just used your pack but I wanted this to be upwards-compatible with NST (which means using a completely different set of block/item IDs than is in your pack) so if folks decided that 99-ish mods was nice, but they want more they could go ahead and do that.

Interestingly enough, I did away with Twilight Forest. And Galacticraft. They are the banes of my existence as a server admin, causing lag and such without providing a true benefit. To replace them, we have Dimensional Doors for interesting exploration options.

I don't like how bland the landscape in the overworld is; does anyone have a recommended mod for worldgen?

alternate terrain gen or ATG might be worth looking into

• Locked thread