Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Vib Rib posted:

I wanted to thank the folks in this thread for talking me into giving Tinkers Construct another shot. It really is a lot of fun once you get down to it. I guess I was overwhelmed by the options I didn't quite understand and was worried about resources.
The only gripe I have with it now is that you can't use any Tinkers Construct weapons with Asgard Shields. And those shields are really good. They've made fighting skeletons go from an aggravating chore to a fun battle of reflex and skill. A TC weapon would be great, especially with the variety of types you can get, but I just don't think it would be worth giving up shields. So for now I'm sticking with just tinkering tools.

Try the longsword. Hold down right click for a second then release for a short hop and then 5-10 seconds (can't remember how long) of running at increased speed. It's not a shield but its great for fleeing creepers or closing the ground between you and Skeletons. Also for just covering distance. Personally I'm not even using a "weapon" as a weapon, I just carry a mining hammer and watch as it slaughters undead in 2-3 hits due to the fact it does double damage versus undead (which consist of the majority of hostile enemies you'll see).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Tsurupettan posted:

Thanks you two. :) Yeah I know about using TE's stuff. I leaned pretty heavily on TE last time and I wanted to try out alternate power/technology solutions just for the sake of it. Are we talking server-crushing lag or just frame lag? I don't mind the latter.

I tried Mekanism's bioreactor a couple weeks out to produce reliable power when mixed with Farmcraft's auto-farm. On one hand the setup was able to easily power a 9x9 potato farm (planter, harvester, composter, fertilizer, sludge furnace) as well as some basic smelting industry (pulverizer, induction furnace, some powered furnaces). In the end it failed for two reasons:

1) I could not get the compactor providing the biofuel pellets to feed into a buildcraft pipe. It would take inputs from transport pipes but would not output to them, meaning it had to be unloaded by hand and then fed into the reactor.

2) Holy hell, Mekanism's machinery is loud.

On the plus side I noticed that Universal cable will power wooden transport pipes like Redstone engines, which makes things easier and a bit better looking in my mind.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

m2pt5 posted:

A wood pipe wouldn't extract? Did you try setting the sides with the configurator?

Yup, one thing I am good with is pipes so that was the first thing. Then I tried the side, the front, or the bottom. Unless it has to specifically unload from the right side (there wasn't room to try with the setup I had at the time due to barrels) it wouldn't output into a powered wood pipe.

Vib Rib posted:

Having not used it myself, I don't understand Big Reactors entirely. Wouldn't that setup eat a ridiculous amount of the 'fuel' ore? And that ore has to be dug up, it's not a renewable resource.

Indeed, Yellorium ore, while common, has to be dug up. Unless you edit some files you can't create it in any way as far as I know (such as using the mining laser). However at the same time the mod comes with a machine that is specifically designed to turn the waste into more fuel at a 2:1 ratio, so if that reactor was filled it would run quite well for a really long time.

Honestly I suspect that reactor was built either on a mature server where someone said "I have all this yellorium, what the gently caress do I do with it", or it was never fully powered. You could break apart that monster along the mid-lines and make eight reasonably sized reactors.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clear a massive redwood canopy relatively easily? I'm going to make a giant orbital fleet made out of the really huge/awesome redwoods from my galacticraft space station. So far I've found with the fuckoff huge (and beautiful) redwoods that the MFR harvester doesn't recognize them (makes sense) and I only need so many leaf blocks for easy air generation.

Edit: never mind. The scythe from the Tinkers Construct works wonders.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 9, 2013

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I'm working in space, things don't catch on fire very well. By the way, redwoods do grow quite well on the moon and in orbit, just takes forever.

Harvesting went a lot quicker when I realized that I could just harvest the wood and let the leaves decay. Ended up with 3-4 stacks of saplings without trying.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So, out of frustration due to being unable to find any numbers on Big Reactors I spent some time in creative playing with some setups. If anyone else is curious on how to get the most out of your quasi-nuclear reactors, here are my findings:

• Both Yellorium and Bluetonium (reclaimed Cyanite/reactor waste) are just as potent for fuel
  • A single fuel rod holds 4 ingot, divided into 1,000 fuel each. In other words each ingot is internally converted into a single bucket of fuel.
  • A fuel rod produces about 4MJ/t energy and 150C heat. Or 1MJ/t per bar of fuel.
  • Horizontally adjacent tiles of reactor construction (casing, glass, reactor control or input/output blocks, other fueal rods) or air will provide no noticeable amplifier for heat or power. Each block of Fuel Rod will linearly add it's 4MJ/t and heat to the reactor.
  • Adding extra levels to the reactor just linearly multiplies the heat and power of a reactor.
  • Surrounding the fuel rods with water acts as a multiplier, increasing the energy output drastically with a slighter increase in heat. A single rod with a ring of eight water tiles around it will run at 8.7MJ/t and 175C, over double the power output for only 1/6th increase in heat.

Assuming that heat equals fuel consumption (which everything I've read seems to agree on) the most fuel efficient Yellorium reactor has a floor plan like so:
code:
OOOOO
OXOXO
OOOOO
OXOXO
OOOOO

0= Water
X= Fuel Rod
Just repeat and expand as you see fit and surround with casing (reactor casing, reactor class, inputs, outputs, control console). If you want some more power, a checkerboard pattern seems slightly more powerful at the cost of some efficiency.

A few notes:
  • A reactor can and will "seal" (i.e. become a multi-block construction) without a control panel power tap or any input/output slots to insert fuel/remove waste. For obvious reasons this is silly idea and rather ruins the point of the reactor but can be used for decoration.
  • If you really want, you don't have to use water. Most fluids will work as the coolant, so you can have a sludge, sewage or liquid meat cooled reactor if you really want. I also tested lava and energized glowstone, but the reactor refused to "seal" with those liquids inside it.
  • Note that all power/heat values aren't accurate, they're just best estimates on where the reactors comes to a rest. The reactors themselves will naturally "wobble" above and below their resting point.
  • The reactors themselves are very sensitive to miss-placed blocks, but are also very friendly to having a piece accidentally broken or being expanded on a fly. I'm not sure where the data is stored (I've broken the fuel rods and control rods, the bottom center block like Railcraft tanks, and the control unit, but the data will still be there). I know you can destroy the data somehow, just don't know how short of completely dismantling the reactor.

For such a simple mod, I really like Big Reactors way too much. I just wish there was a way to manufacture Yellorite ore, be it by minium stone, mining laser, or any other method.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 9, 2013

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Super Rad posted:

Re: Big reactors - is it more efficient to expand the reactors vertically or width/depth?

I was going to write a big thing about numbers and such of construction costs, but gently caress that. Honestly, a single column of fuel rods X high is identically power and fuel efficient as X number of fuel rods provided that both sets are ringed by the same number of water blocks. As long as each column of fuel rod is surrounded horizontally by 8 columns of water, you're getting the best fuel efficiency (and horizontal reactors can share water blocks).

If you're worried about construction costs, the most efficient design (i.e. least blocks needing to be built) is just a single column. Be it 3x3 or 5x5 or somewhere awkward in between.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

Big Reactors are also kinda neat because they don't explode. The heat just builds to whatever point. At a 16 core reactor, built in some silly pattern, you average around 18,000C, generating 800 MJ of power a tick.

As you might imagine, the fuel consumption is insane and only reasonable for the largest mining operations or, god forbid, spawning the resource.

In reality, the best solution would be for the laser drill to generate yellorite ore. I don't know how to go about adding it to the spawn table though without causing things to poo poo the bed.

Yeah, that's also nice about Yellorium reactors. No radioactivity making the area around it toxic, no explosions, no sudden power loss because something hosed up. It just eats yellorium and spits out power.

And yeah the ideal thing would be to edit the data for the laser to spit out Yellorium ore (attuned to Yellow lenses for obvious reasons :v:), but like you have no idea how to edit that since its not in the configs.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Oh, hey, that's cool. I didn't realize you were a goon. Kinda nice to talk to the guy developing a mod in progress.

Erogenous Beef posted:

This is a pretty great, accurate guide! Integration with the MFR laser drill will be in the 0.2 line of updates, which I'm working on now.

That's excellent news. Mining and exploring caves/mines is fun at first, but it becomes tedious later when you're set up and just want to build things. And Quarries/turtles create ugly holes and massive amounts of spoil that you have to deal with shoving in a crate/void pipe/crazy awesome AE computer system.

Another bit with MFR compatibility is that I also request that you keep the fact that you never "fix" the fact that you can cool it with MFR's liquid meat. I find the idea hilarious that I can make a "Moo Goo" reactor. Personally I'd also love it if there was some way to create fuel from livestock ("Brownium"? "Holstenium"?) but that's probably a bit too silly/whimsical.

quote:

To answer your question, the data is stored outside of all of the blocks in a virtual "manager" object. When you add a block, it will create a new manager if there's no reactor blocks immediately next to it. When you place a block that joins multiple manager blocks, their internal values are merged together into one manager. If you split up a machine into two (or more) physically-separated sets of blocks, the manager will split itself up and make new managers to govern the split-up blocks.

This is why you can break a machine, add/remove a lot of blocks and re-form it without disturbing its data. One of my design goals was that a player shouldn't have to remember not to break specific blocks, so that modifications and upgrades are easy and can be done fearlessly.

It's also the mod's secret performance sauce. :)
[quote]

Okay, that's loving awesome and really neat.

[quote]
There is one "hidden" mechanic that I'll eventually add a visual indicator for - fuel rods emit radiation in straight lines, horizontally. This radiation will "fertilize" any other fuel rod it touches (up to a distance of about 3-4 blocks), creating bonus energy and heat. The hotter the reactor, the less efficient this fertilization process is. Water helps to ameliorate the effects of heat, as well as speeding up the dissipation of heat.

That fertilization process is why your grid appears to run with nearly double efficiency, not just the water, and it's also the primary reason for the "wobble". If you move your fuel rods so that none of them are aligned, you can see the effect more clearly.

code:
OOOOO
OXOXO
OOOOO

^-- more efficient due to fertilization, output will spike about 25% of the time

V-- less efficient, no fertilization, constant output

OOOO
OXOO
OOXO
OOOO

0= Water
X= Fuel Rod

Ah, so that explains both the energy amplification and the wobble. Honestly, as a former Electrical Engineering student, I just saw the wobble as either part of the equation of just a simulation of real control equipment. Anything with feedback tends to wobble back and forth across the ideal line like that as the machinery reacts to sensors. Still, a very interesting mechanic now that I know about it.

quote:

Also, heat and radiation only move in the cardinal directions, not diagonally, so you can actually make your designs more compact. A checkerboard layout is probably the most efficient right now:

code:
XOXOX
OXOXO
XOXOX
OXOXO
XOXOX

(Surround the outer ring with water, of course.)

I wondered if a checkerboard pattern seemed to be more efficient. I tried a few reactors with a 5x5 chamber and an X-pattern of rods. While the reactor's output definitely increased, the efficiency dropped somewhat. I guess that was because the center rod didn't have any other full rods feeding it.

quote:

In later releases (0.3+), there'll be more ways to affect radiation, and it'll be visible as particle effects. Yellorium and blutonium won't be identical forever; they'll probably have slightly different values that make them more useful for high/low temperature reactors. That won't happen until there's more tools for managing radiation and heat.

The next big thing (0.2) is RedNet control, followed by active cooling.

As long as your big reactors are safe, relatively easy to use, and lag free I think I'm going to love them even more if you add more nuances.

Also another thing I left out in my notes: I noticed Fuel Rod blocks emit light, so if you're not using that yelorium for fuel they're great for decoration/lighting, especially when working with galacticraft since torches don't work in vacuum.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Erogenous Beef posted:

Consider "moo goo" coolant approved. I'll make it official once different coolants have different properties. As for livestock -> fuel, that's a bit too weird. Maybe in the distant future I'll add a "sillyMode" config option for stuff like "Heiferite" and "Porktonium".

Fuel rod blocks emit light because I'm lazy and couldn't figure out how to make them only emit light when filled with fuel. :v: I know how to do it now, but maybe I'll make a "yellorium lamp" or something so people can keep using 'em for decor. I really really want to Cherenkov radiation for active reactors with water baths, but Minecraft doesn't do colored light.

Ease of use and "as much complexity as you want" are my two overarching design principles. If you want to make a cube and throw stuff in, it'll work. If you want to build out an elaborate rednet-managed reactor with crazy coolant and reprocessing systems, that should be possible too, with some rewards in efficiency and output. Any type of explosion danger would only be in an optional, opt-in system and still have a config option to disable it. I'll never do the sort of world-destroying toxic goo found in Atomic Science.

Understandable. I'd honestly love it if you could refine a weak fuel (1-2 MJ/t per fuel rod before cooling and nuclear boosting) out of liquid meat or cooked "meat" and instead of reclaimable fuel the waste would come out as food. Perhaps something resembling the KFC double down (In game description: "A delicious abomination of culinary fusion"). Either that or when using liquid meat as coolant sometimes your reactor spits out Moo Goo (in game description: "Delicious, Nutritious and makes unnerving noises"). Still, it's your mod so you can go as silly or tame as you want.

Glad to hear you're going the anti-greg route of ease of use and only as much complexity as the user wants. That means I'll probably be able to explain it to friends on my minecraft server even though at first it looks like some sort of horrible multi-block insanity.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So does anyone have any recommendations on what resources work best with TC bows/arrows? I've heard that paper arrow shafts helps make lightweight and accurate arrows.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

RaspberryCommie posted:

Does it use the yellowcake, refined uranium or the fuel rod? CAuse I got some of those sticking around, but Mekanism stuff always causes my computer to lag with all the block updates and noise and stuff.

Yes it does use the Atomic Science U-238 derived by turning Uranium Ore into Yellowcake then Uranium Hexafloride then U-235 and U238. I have done this myself, and in my suggestion: don't. The energy costs of the machinery needed far outstrips the power you get back. However if you find Nether Urnaium, you can pulverize it into 4 Yellorium dust.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

GhostSeven posted:

Have not had problems spawning yellorium and uranium on the Toast pack. With both Atomic Science and Big Reactors. So I don't think there is any anti-yellorium code from Calc's side (as far as I can see)

Seconding that I've had no trouble with Yellorium spawns in Toast which also has Atomic Science.

If anything, after fiddling a bit with the spawn rate, it's almost too common. My reactor can't eat it fast enough.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Daynab posted:

Is there any good redstone logic mod at this point? (mainly, redstone cables instead of dust)

It doesn't look like MFR is going to be updated anytime soon but RedNet cables were the best thing ever and I really miss them :(

I recently discovered Ender IO which lets you make redstone pipes. Recently as in "yesterday". It's especially nifty because you can a) have them share the same block as the power and fluid lines included in the mod and b) hide them as drat near anything.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1937619-162152-ender-io-how-many-pipes-in-one-block-fluffy-dice-not-included/

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Cantorsdust posted:

A buildcraft filler set to clear mode or a buildcraft quarry would do it over time. Depends on how fast you need it done.

Or how big a power source you connect them to, especially the Quarry.

If you have IC2/Gregtech installed try the mining laser set to explosive. Just...don't stand too close, it's surprisingly easy to gib yourself with the tiniest bit of knockback from it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

GhostSeven posted:

If it is ender tank related, there was a new update yesterday that updated enderstorage and big reactors. (4.2.6) it is possible it is fixed in that as there was world crash bugs with endertanks on the previous build.

All of the Immibs stuff should be up to date for 1.5.2 at least.

Out of curiosity, what did the Big Reactor update do? Or was it just stability stuff?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Do the cool trees in forestry DO anything pr are they just more trees

Some of them have fruits that can be squeezed into seed oil or fruit juice. The former for "stuff?" and the latter for bonus ethanol production. Only neither the new Forestry multi-farms (which are admittedly cool when you figure them out, and pretty looking) or the easier to work with (but not as pretty) MFR harvesters recognize or harvest the fruit in my experience.

Honestly, the only really neat things about Forestry in my opinion are the crazy multifarms and the biomass/ethanol/charcoal production of a tree farm for infinite power. Both of which can be done just as well with MFR's equipment that's a lot easier to work with. The only advantage of the fermenter/distillery setup is that it's easier to get a decent amount of fuel out of as compared to MFR's bioreactor which will devour materials for minimal gains if you're not careful.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

m2pt5 posted:

Multifarms have to be configured to Arboretum to pick fruit off trees, and you want the fruit picker, not the harvester.

I fiddled with both in creative with the Toasty modpack. The Multifarm just didn't seem to recognize the fruit, either the pods or the stuff that fell from leaves. The fruit picker didn't seem to recognize any podded fruit besides chocolate on jungle trees. Though for all I was doing something wrong either way, but honestly oak saplings in a fermenter with water instead of juice gives more than enough free energy to work several combustion engines.

SugarAddict posted:

Forestry farms is kind of easier to automate but is more limited in what it can do. what it does do (if you are farming the right kind of tree) is poo poo two different kinds of fuel. The only issue is the initial (large) resource cost. But it tends to be cheaper energy wise when its constantly running.
TL;DR It's a much better low end farm. Use MFR for mass production using fertilizer.

Basically, it's really up to personal preference in my opinion. The differences are really so slight that they more or less are negligible once everything is up and running.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

metasynthetic posted:

Also squid. Ink (like all dyes) is consumable in a bioreactor, and squid have a ridiculous yield. Make a tank, cap the top so the squid can't poke their heads out and suffocate, and install a rancher on the side.

Welp. I know now what I'll be doing once I get some lunch.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Khorne posted:

It also works with bone meal. Because it's a dye.

Yes, but what's the easiest ways to get bones? Can it compete with a 5x5x5 squid-tank?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

If you really only want a single-crop bioreactor, and have magical crops installed, it's hard to beat dye seeds. The reactor will run off both the seeds and the dyes you can make from the essence. Since there are more than 9 dyes, that single crop type is enough to run a bioreactor at full efficiency. Bonus: never hunt down dye material again.

Does either the multifarm or harvester work with magical crop plants? I know the planter at least knows what to do with the seeds.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yup, been testing it msyelf in creative. While the Dye-farm is probably the most absurdly productive for a bio-reactor, it's not feasable for automation. Neither the MFR harvester nor the entire multifarm system works with the dye.

A pumpkin/melon farm, on the other hand, can do quite well with an auto-crafter turning pumpkins and melons into seeds.

Finally a squid-reactor is obscene. The ranchers spit out ink sacs as fast as they can, which is ever so slightly faster than a bioreactor can empty itself out. What's even better is you can surround a tank with multiple ranchers. If it weren't for the fact that there would be no room for the power lines, you could make the entire tank out of ranchers and make so much loving ink.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 11, 2013

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Has anyone else worked with the Ender IO stuff yet? I love the facades and wires that can hide in walls (and overlap in bundles), it cleans up so much mess. However the electric lights never seen to work for me. I hook them up, they blink on and then turn off, or I can only get one on a network to work.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Sunblood posted:

It seems really cool and the cheap beginner cables are amazing for the price, but I've had issues with distributing power along a line of machines.
I used the top tier cable to get the most out of my giant Big Reactor. It was pulling something like 20k mj/t to my lasers.

Yeah, it does have some interesting priorities and bugs, Redstone Energy Conduits are definitely the superior wire when it comes to programming, but if you follow a few simple rules (mainly: put your biggest power draw at the end of the line) then the Ender IO wires work rather well. Of course there's the awesome bug that makes the Ender IO wires/redstone lines/pipes FREE if you stick them inside facades...and then they dupe themselves when you get a real one back if you break the wire.

The Ender IO painter is really loving amazing though, letting you turn gravel into cheap facade copies of materials for easier interior design. Also, letting you paint/recolor fences and stairs for when you really want iron ore colored fences.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Things Ender IO does wonderfully:
  • Tiny wires (power, control and fluid)
  • Tiny wires that can overlap in the same block
  • Tiny wires that can overlap and then be hidden in the floor/wall/ceiling
  • PAINTER AND FACADES!
  • Makes gravel worth something
  • That really nifty 2x2x1 Reservoir that's like an Acqueous Accumulator but better
  • Uses all vanilla items to create its materials, so easy to use/start up.
  • The liquid pipes work much the same as Liquiducts (not connecting to already filled pipes unless told to, etc.)
  • Works just fine with the TE crescent wrench (at least in the Toast pack it does)

Not so wonderfully:
  • Perhaps not the best/most user-friendly programming on power distribution
  • The fancy ingots and fuzed quartz are a bit expensive
  • Crazy amount of dupe bugs (though they do work in the player's favor)
  • Can be a bit buggy and act weird on chunk updates (had a Reservoir feeding a steam engine go empty all of a sudden, had a single, specific piece of wire glitch out repeatedly on the feed to my latest quarry)
  • Tiny wires are perhaps too tiny...could be made a bit bigger to make working with them a bit easier
  • Hard to predict which wire you'll be interacting with when trying to pick a specific wire out of a bundle

Seriously, Ender IO is great, if a bit unpolished buggy. Then again, it is a relatively new mod and has an incredible amount of potential for only a handful of items. I look forward to future updates of Ender IO, especially concerning bug fixes.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So, has anyone else noticed oddness when mixing combustion engines and Ender IO? I've had banks of combustion engines straight up vanish when mixing the mods. I turn around and they're gone. No explosion or anything, just no more combustion engine. They seem to eventually stop disappearing, but it feels like I'm pouring the damned engines down a hole until something clogs and the server stops bugging out.

Come to think of it, all the combustion engines that vanished were also eating up Gascraft's Natural Gas, so maybe it's a weird mixture of Combustion Engines, Ender IO and Gascraft...

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

yes. When combustion engines exhaust any natural gas in them, they disappear. don't know why, but they do. i built a bank of them and throttled them up to start some refining, turned around and they were all gone.

Ah, that explains it. Time to switch to the oil deposits than.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I have no problems with power armor heat problems. I just slap the cooling system on the chestpiece and set it to maximum. As someone one who hops and flies everywhere, uses force fields for armor, neither power nor heat is a problem when I have both the suit solar generator and the kinetic generator.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

kerpow posted:

Power suits cool based on biome so heat issues in the nether or desert might not be an issue in a rainstorm or snowy biome. My suits that only overheat when using a railgun still overheat when casually flying in the nether.

Oh, I know that. First trip into either the nether or a desert will teach you that you need power/cooling for power suits. My current base is sitting on the border of a desert and extreme hills jungle, yet I have no heat problem when bouncing across the sand like a spastic mutant kangaroo. Honestly, setting the leg's kinetic generator to max power production and the chest's AC system to max power usage will keep you nice and cool and generating plenty of excess power unless you're doing something like firing the railgun at full-auto.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So in my latest Toast pack base, I've decided to go full on "gently caress this, MORE POWER!" and went fusion->steam power. I have to say that stacks of funnels over a fusion cooling pond do, indeed, create obscene amounts of steam. I'm slowly expanding and still working on harnessing it all with steam consumers. However I'm running into the slight problem of the fact that fusion plants devour Tin. What I thought was an over-excess of tin ingots (over 1000) is starting to look a lot less excessive as I realize how many cells it will take to keep this thing running 24/7. It's gonna take a lot of laser drills to fuel this beast. Thankfully it spits out the power to fuel mining drills.

Atomic Science Fusion: it doesn't run on water, it runs on tin.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I'm outputting about 300MJ at the moment, but I'm only about halfway done with covering my fusion plant with steam funnels. I'll probably have something closer to 6-700 MJ/t when I finish this fusion reactor. Which isn't as efficient as your ~3K/reactor obviously, but I'm only running off of a single chemical extractor at the moment and if I can get it to be material stable it will still be way more than I need. Right now I'm more trying to figure out how I can increase my tin input, besides, of course, shoving more power into the laser-drill system. Is there a drill focus color that would give the machine a higher probability of spitting out more tin?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

MechaCrash posted:

Good news! Deuterium is apparently a pumpable liquid in 1.6 based versions of Atomic Science, at least according to this mod spotlight. So you can just have the deuterium pumped directly into the fusion reactor with no need for tin.

Well, sadly I'm still running the 1.5.2 version since Toast still uses that. I fixed the materials issue with MORE MINING LASER so I'm not really worried about running out of Tin (just drowning in everything else the laser can suck up). What I'd really like to do right now is figure out how to make an automated system that will automatically craft empty cells as needed without automatically using up all of my tin.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Serifina posted:

It's also fairly easy to do with AE, too.

How would I set it up to only craft X cells when needed with AE? I've figured out the network part but not that. Does that get into the big AE crafter multiblock madness?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Any good tutorials or guides to Applied Energistics out there, now that you've gotten me all excited about it?

Once you get a hang of it, AE's nifty and really easy. The biggest real hurdle for it is the amount of quartz it takes (both nether and the mod's own certus variant). Honestly, the amount of quartz you need almost makes you need to have fun with Quarries or building a Mining Laser. But...once you do the functionality AE gives you is pretty easy to understand and useful.

Oh, and to keep yourself sane, you only really need a handful of 4K memory drives unless you're doing something insane, like trying to store the output of a 64x64 Quarry. Also, since neither Quarries nor Mining Lasers have internal inventories for what they dig up, you'll need to have them output into a chest that you can then connect to the AE system with an import bus.

As for guides, the mod has it's own very good wiki: http://ae-mod.info/

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

bbcisdabomb posted:

DSU with a Storage Bus attached. Don't dispose of a thing in case something needs a billion dirt or something.

And I'm pretty sure a Quarry will work if you put a ME Interface on top of it.

Exactly what I was gonna suggest, and exactly what I use with my current load of ~95,000 cobblestone. As for the Quarry, no clue. I do know from experience that the laser drill does not work directly outputting into an Import Bus.

Dux Supremus posted:

I've been finding Nether chests work pretty well if you're not at the stage to string up cable all the way to wherever your dig site is.

Ender chests or item tesseracts work just fine as well. Unlike the import busses, the tesseracts will also accept outputs directly from quarries and drills. Just have the tesseract dump into a chest afterwards for the AE bus to pick up the goods. Personally I have an ender chest sitting on top of one of my laser drills and carry an ender pouch in my inventory. That way if I go exploring I can teleport any and all of the goods I want to keep directly to my AE system for safe keeping as the Ender Chest does double duty as drill output and cross-dimensional AE input bin.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

RmansRvnge posted:

I made a thing. This mod simply adds a few ores to the MFR mining laser, namely Yellorite, Uranium, Osmium. Tested on the latest Toast Crunchy pack for 1.5.2 since that's what I mainly play. Made for personal use, but sharing here in case anyone finds it useful. I can probably do additional ores if there's interest or demand for it.

MFR Laser Ore Addon

Can this be added to an existing server without causing problems?

Also, do any of the ores you added have any affinity for laser foci? Such as yellow for Yellorite, blue for Osmium and green for Uranium?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I think the last we heard of him was him saying he'd be busy and unable to make awesome reactor mods.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

Once you have the setup for a energy cell (minimum: pulverizer, powered furnace, induction smelter, magma crucible, liquid transposer) you can make a Redstone Energy Cell.

Before then you probably don't have enough engines to be worth storing energy from them. Honestly I suggest just using a clockwork engine or three for everything until redstone power conduits.

Heck, they might not even need that much storage, Redstone Energy Conduits themselves act as low-grade capacitors and will hold some energy. Of course there's no real easy way to see what the network's doing, like with buildcraft power pipes, but they're so well programmed otherwise on lag, distribution and everything else I'll gladly take that "downside".

Alternatively Lizard, does Big Dig have Thermal Expansion Steam Engines? Not only do those have their own internal storage of power, you can turn them on and off with a switch when not in use and it will stop the "burn" of the fuel right there and then.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

To be clear, you mean Redstone Energy Cells, right? Are those meant to be the Batboxes of Buildcraft?

It does have Stirling Engines, which I believe is what you mean. What you saw in the screenshot above is the extent of our electricity, with the Stirling Engine on the left.

Nah, I'm talking STEAM engine. A stirling engine burns coal and is standard Buildcraft Energy. A Steam Engine is either railcraft (way beyond your skill level at this point) or one of two engines added in thermal expansion. Since Big Dig does run Thermal Expansion (as proved by the pulverizer in your picture, and me looking it up), there's a good chance you have TE steam engines enabled.

Basically, instead of burning just coal for 1 MJ/t it burns coal AND water for 4 MJ/t. An aqueous accumulator adjacent to a water tile should produce more than enough water so for you it becomes a better, more manageable version of the stirling engine.

Honestly, there's no real good way to store BC power until you get into Thermal Expansion. It's less to do with the power storage available as Mekanism's universal energy cube/cell thingies aren't that expensive, at least at the base level. It's just to do with the fact that having to deal with Buildcraft piping's need for wooden pipes as "pumps" is kind of annoying, and I'm not sure they'll recognize energy storage cubes/cells/etc. as a proper source to draw the power needed to draw the power.

Basically BC wooden pipes need a source of power and a source of material to pump: be that material liquid, items, or energy. With wooden redstone pipes you get a two for one deal: the engine provides both the energy for the redstone pipe to work as a pump AND the source of energy to pump into the network. I'm not sure that a wooden pipe segment would be able to recognize a non-BC battery block as a source of power to let it act as an energy-pump. Then again, universal cable can power a wooden item or waterpoof pipe segment much like a redstone engine can, so who the gently caress knows. You'll have to experiment, or ask for the help of someone more experienced with the insanity of minecraft mod power.

Edit:

Lizard Wizard posted:

Uh...I just looked up Redstone Energy Cells, and holy poo poo that's a lot of machines to get what amounts to a Buildcraft version of a Batbox. Are you sure there's not some easier way?

It's a lot of machines to get to that point, but holy poo poo are they easy to deal with. Basically, getting Redstone Energy Cells and Redstone Power Conduits are the easy mode of power management. They're worth the setup. Now, if you want something scary complicated at first glance and expensive, go look at Applied Energistics.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Welp, I am never using Atomic Science's fusion power again. It was working good for the last week and a half to two weeks, even if it was slowly devouring all of my tin despite me building multiple mining lasers and strip mining the Twilight Forest (no one goes there, so no one would mind me making 64x64 boreholes with quarries).

Then all of a sudden it stopped outputting steam. So I tried to mess around with it. No matter what I did, it wouldn't make more steam for my system to run. I tried breaking it apart and rebuliding it a few times, nothing happened. At least until the one time I forgot to shut it down by breaking the fusion generator block.

Guys, let me tell you, a plasma leak is a bad thing. The plasma doesn't just instantly gib you, but it also glitches the gently caress out of any power armor you're wearing. Which wouldn't be so bad if the Toasty Pack weren't also running the OpenBlocks mod which stuffs your inventory in a ghost in a grave block instead of scattering it on the ground for the plasma to vaporize. Me and a friend have taken turns trying to get our inventory back. Any time we get a bad piece of power armor in our inventory we instantly explode as if the armor was as hot as the surface of the sun. It makes our client lock up so we have to force-close it as we sit there in the server with around -2000 health. When we reconnect we then instantly burn to death again before being allowed to move.

So between the fusion generator suddenly glitching out on me, the frustrating resources issue just trying to fuel it, and this latest glitch, I'm not touching Fusion again. Time for something safe, like giant banks of electrolyzers.

• Locked thread