Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Someone put it up here - http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/skyden-pack - this isn't an official version put up by Vib Rib or anything, but I'm using it and it works just fine. It even comes with the map savefile, so you don't need to do anything other than mash go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Vib Rib posted:

Non-readin'

The first thing I would note is that you're getting your worries from the sort of people who made low-effort copycat LPs because a youtube superstar did it. If you want to design your map to be more accessible to that demographic, then that's up to you, but I didn't mind spending the 30 piddly seconds it took to read every book and talk to everyone, and I didn't ever get lost. The same goes for people not noticing aspects of the interface. Unless you're designing the mods for your map yourself, you don't have control over things like the interface anyway, so just roll with it. In general youtube-superstars are too lazy to do post commentary or even basic video editing, so they are encountering the map blind, recording the thing, and simultaneously trying desperately to fill every spare second with an endless stream of words, since a second without them talking is clearly a second wasted. Their attention is split three ways, but your average player will be giving your map much more attention.

I certainly wouldn't worry about things that are minecraft mechanics, your map isn't a tutorial to vanilla minecraft, I wouldn't play it if it was. The very nature of the map is to force the player to leverage as many tricks and loopholes to get around the heavily resource-restricted empty world. As for little things like the rotten flesh-to-leather mod, I could see how it would be easy to overlook that sort of thing, so you might want to have it mentioned somewhere, but if I were you I certainly wouldn't try to explain all the details of any larger mods like Minefactory Reloaded that you might include (and I hope you do include!).

As far as signs saying "do not disassemble", I would rather the map design itself make things impossible rather than rely on players restricting themselves. Encase the cobblestone generator lava in obsidian or something unbreakable, so the player can't bucket the source blocks before you're ready for them to get lava buckets. I know not every challenge can be forced like this, but it's the best option if you can manage it. Also I wouldn't get too worked up over someone coming up with a lateral solution to complete one of your challenges early. I like it when games don't clamp down so hard there's only one possible way to do things.

I like the map a lot, and you've already said you're aware of the biggest problems with it: too much time farming, not enough time building or exploring neat stuff, but the basic idea is great, and even the farming isn't really BAD since it gives me time to pretty the place up.

tl:dr - don't stress about boneheads

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Pidmon posted:

Whoa hold up, you CAN use a 2x2 jungle tree setup? I thought it was disabled ever since I first tried and couldn't get bonemeal to make it grow. What am I missing? Does bonemeal just not work on the 2x2 setup?

The trick with 2x2 jungle trees is that they need space on all sides for the vines on them to spawn, so you actually need a 4x4 ring of air around the 2x2 square of saplings (and up) before you use the bonemeal. If you're like me and like to throw torches everywhere, that's probably the problem.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You can also put the Respiration enchantment on a helmet to hold your breath longer, but I haven't gotten to the Trial of Water yet so I can't say if that will be enough.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Speaking of nodes, do we know if he's changed how nodes are essentially a finite resource that eventually requires you to move your base or else never use thaumstuff again?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Do ranchers need empty space in front of them? If not you could just use stronger range upgrades and put the power lines between the ranchers and the tank.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is Thaumcraft 4 still doing that thing where any activity or inactivity on your part inevitably drains all your nearby nodes and forces you to move miles away, or is it actually possible to go sustainable / industrial scale with magic stuff now?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm running a skyblock map and I have strong resource production but my base is getting fairly spread out. I'd like to run AE cables with crafting terminals to my various substations so I can access and pump into the network from anywhere - is there a downside to having a single AE network with cables running long distances? What happens if part of the AE network is in an unloaded chunk? This is 1.6.4, AE1, if that makes a difference.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

McFrugal posted:

It uses more power, that's it. Might I suggest a wireless terminal though?

I've got one, but 32 blocks isn't enough, and anyway I want to pump things into the network from all over which means import buses. Power isn't an issue. Thanks for the response though - I was afraid it might start updating a million times per tick and grind my FPS to a halt or something - I don't know AE well yet.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Sage Grimm posted:

Oh, if you want to pump stuff around your network without cabling everywhere you could hook up export buses to tesseract pairs at your AE hub and itemduct to another tesseract connection (many to one) at the other end that an interface is adjacent to. My TE auto-processing plant is off on it's own little island, completely unattached to my hub by cabling because tesseracts are so versatile.

Bonus points if you can get that hub tesseract that imports to your AE system also handling liquids.

I'll look into that, I've just finished a squid-powered enderman auto-spawner, so mass-producing tesseracts is finally within my reach. This is Agrarian Skies, so the tesseract recipe requires enderium which needs more pearls than I've had disposable until now.

Speaking of Agrarian Skies, what's the best way to send redstone signals around? Is there a way to send a redstone signal wirelessly?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Glory of Arioch posted:

One of the first things that you should generally build in Agrarian Skies is a mob tower, auto-spawner, and grinder combo, and get a safari net with an enderman inside. This helps you out quite a bit, and you need the combo for some of the fluid quests anyways.

There's no wireless redstone signals in Agrarian Skies, but there are rednet cables, which lets you go up and bundle 16 signals into one wire.

Carados posted:

Check the biomes before you build your mob tower, there's a really close area that spawns wisps that you want to avoid.

Yeah I built a mob tower early (in a plains biome, thank goodness) but unfortunately I built it rather rubbish. I used a lot of forge microblocks at first, not realizing they didn't block light, so for a long time it didn't work except at night. I eventually realized why it was so bad but even after trying to fix it I think I missed some since I'm still getting some yellow Xs inside during the daytime. I was so sick of it by that point that I stomped off in a huff to build some minefactory reloaded farms instead (seriously that is an awesome mod). Then I went and somehow built the world's most incredibly efficient squid dropping tower and so I said screw it and just built my grinder down there. I've got an entire wall of the tower made of nothing but openblocks tanks (holds 16 buckets per block) and the thing is just packed with about a million mB of mob essence. Once the terrible broken mob tower finally got me enough pearls for a safari net I built the enderman spawner off it and now it powers the whole compound on ender generators.

My base runs on dead squids.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Pidmon posted:

What is a squid dropping tower exactly?

It's a tower half-full of water that washes squids to their suffocating death.

The upper chamber is full of water, the bottom chamber is air.

Here's the view from inside. The upper chamber is a series of solid columns (I used glass, which makes it kind of hard to see, but any solid block works) with spaces in between. The very upper layer of the tower is water source blocks, all the rest of the water is downward flowing current. A layer of signs placed on signs blocks the water and forms the roof of the bottom chamber. The squids spawn in the water chamber and since the entire water chamber is downward-flowing currents, they all drop through the signs into the bottom chamber.

The bottom chamber is just where the squids die. If your tower is 5x5 you don't need the conveyor belts, since the squids will all land in range of a Minefactory Reloaded grinder. Grinders can't take range upgrades, so the conveyor belts are needed to push the squids in range. My tower is 9x9 so I can have an auto-spawner in the center of the killing chamber. The grinder kills squids and endermen (or whatever I have loaded into the autospawner), and pumps the mob essence into that giant wall tank on the left there. The autospawner pulls from the same essence tank (pipes are under the floor).

The tower has to be built at the right altitude - squids won't spawn above layer 62, and like all mobs, squids won't spawn if you're too close, but this thing pumps out a squid kills so fast while I'm busy elsewhere in the base. I've got 64 stacks of ink in about an hour, and the ink barrel's void upgrade has vaporized goodness knows how much more.

Sometimes I come down with a straw and drink a dozen gallons of souls.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
A couple sticky pistons make a fine light-blocking door. Extra Utilities has something called blackout curtains that block light but not passage, so a layer of those in front of/behind a vanilla door will accomplish your goal.

MFR reloaded machines tend to freeze when they don't have anywhere to send their items. If you've got them outputting to an itemduct make sure the itemduct is set to the red output arrow instead of the blue input arrow, and make sure the itemduct has somewhere to send everything. I had a mob grinder sending mob drops to barrels that kept getting gummed up until I realized that every time a skeleton dropped a bow it had no barrel to go to. Easily fixed by adding a simple chest to the end of the itemduct line to take overflow. Likewise if you've got a harvester sending saplings to a planter, make sure the harvester has somewhere to send overflow saplings or it'll just freeze once the planter fills up.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Hmm. So it's a grinder that is freezing up while the autospawner runs fine? Is the grinder packed with mob essence with no tank to output to? Mobs are in range for the grinder to grind them? (grinders have a 5 block range) Plenty of power? Not accidentally being turned off by some errant redstone signal?

If none of these are it maybe post some screenshots?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Do MFR laser drills pull up yellorium? Would it pull up enough to power the reactor that is powering said laser drill? I'm in Agrarian Skies and trying to decide if it's worth setting up a Big Reactor. Right now my only source of yellorium is an occasional dust from sieving sand via ex nihilo. I've got an autonomous sieving array already but except for the yellorium sieving gravel gets me everything sand does and better.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Glory of Arioch posted:

Huck pulverized tin and sulfur into an induction smelter to make more yellorium. I think you need 3:1. Get sulfur from your autospawner with a blaze in a safari net. If you don't have one of those, spawn a blaze in a stone barrel full of lava using an angry doll, catch it in a safari net, and huck it into your autospawner.

I actually do have a blaze in a reusable safari net, and an autospawner grinder. It's currently spawning endermen but if I'm going over to Big Reactor power I don't need all these pearls for ender generators.

Any tips for Baby's First Reactor design? I've never used the mod at all. My power demands aren't super high right now but I guarantee I'll find a way to squander it if I have it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Maybe so, but if, say, you don't religiously follow minecraft modding you might just play your world for five hours before giving up in frustration, never realizing what is ruining all your other mods' multiblocks.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It is my dream to one day have a copper chest full of copper with no ingot stackable with any other.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Glory of Arioch posted:

Then you can use it to make maybe half of a Mekanism brine tower!

Then I can put a sign next to it and write that quote from Ozymandias there.

So I was setting up a cow processing facility and noticed that my sewer had sewage in it. I haven't moved the cows in yet. Did... did I...?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
So I built a little reactor. It worked great! Then I dismantled it and built it a bit bigger. But apparently I did something right by accident the first time and wrong this time, because it's not recognizing the new reactor as a reactor. Here it is in all stages of its construction. What am I doing wrong?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Thanks! That explains the confusion - my first reactor only had one fuel rod.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Erogenous Beef posted:

Protip: Rightclick an unassembled reactor or turbine with an empty hand. You'll get a message telling you what sort of errors the validator encountered. :ssh:

Oh that's neat! Your mod is awesome. This sucker is putting out 2500 RF/t, a number approximately 10x my previous power output, and a number I hope to call small potatoes as soon as I finish automating the ore processing.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Another problem I have is my elite smelting factories that processes all this stuff end up only getting the leftmost slot ejected when there's a mix of ores. It's like the servo tries to pull a stack, pulls the 1st slot, waits a little, finds the smelting factory put one more thing in that slot, and pulled just that one again. Is there a smarter way to extract the items? Just tesseract them all?

Can you output directly into an ME interface placed adjacent to the factory? That'll work if Mekanism factories push outputs the way that TE redstone furnaces do.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What do you mean be "enable mouse?" Do you mean that with just holding rclick I can sift all the gravel? Or is it something else? I'm estimating that sifting 2-3 stacks of gravel would take 10-15 minutes of rather mundane work.

He meant to type "mouse keys". Lets you hold a keyboard button down to emulate mashing the right mouse button.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
That's a fine idea. It's meaningless busywork for sure.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah mobs need solid blocks. An easy setup has no drop at all, just a room with alternating lines of plain blocks and blocks with MFR conveyor belts. The mobs spawn on the plain blocks, randomly step on the conveyor belts which carry them to a small 2x2x2 pit with the punji sticks in it. Conveyor belts don't need power to run. Collect the drops with a vacuum hopper.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is that really what the cool kids do? I'm swimming in cobblestone and sugar cane, but iron and redstone are still scarce. Hence, MFR conveyors really didn't come to mind, but I can go to town on the punji sticks.

I forgot about the vacuum hoppers because I haven't gotten and ender pearl yet. I managed to light up the island and didn't get too many wild mob spawns before then, so I didn't have a rude exchange with an enderman. I'm hoping some fall out of my death trap soon so I can start making some of those hoppers.

You get 16 conveyor belts out of a single belt recipe, so they're actually pretty cheap. You can make an 8x8 spawnblock/belt stripes room with only two iron and four redstone. If your ceiling is three high you can get endermen out of it, and you can just pick the drops up manually until you get your first enderman out of there.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm playing some Agrarian Skies here and we're at the point of trying to make things "not ugly." Between my friend and I, we tend to just live in hobbit holes under the ground. In our last game, we took over a castle, but this time, we have to do it ourselves. Both of us kind of suck at the decorating thing, although I have symbolically tried. Generally what do you do for trying to decorate in survival mode? I'm assuming I should work with a lot of stained clay, and get cozy with microblocks.

I kind of made a red barn for all the farming stuff I'm doing, so I figured next on making something like a fast food kiosk. I'm thinking of the technicals of this. I would just put up pictures of food with a button next to them. Press button, get food. Can I use a button's redstone signal to get a single item out of an ME network? Will it end up spitting out more than that?

If you put a storage bus on a Barrel the network will store all of a certain item type (say, apples or whatever) in that barrel, and the barrel will keep the picture and total item count on it. You can click the barrel to get a stack or shift-click to get a single item. I use storage-bus barrels for my easy-access displays. Upgrading the barrel makes it store more items and also look different if you want it to match your kiosk's color scheme.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I haven't kept up with minecraft modding very closely - is there some advantage to her multiblock code that other multiblock mods (Big Reactors, Tinker's Construct, etc) don't have?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Forge microblocks already hide my TE conduit pipesnarls. Those brass tubes were better than buildcraft pipes (I'm pretty sure a relay of vanilla dispensers and hoppers would be better than buildcraft pipes) but good riddance to their stupid slow alloy furnace and arbitrary input/output facings.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I probably wouldn't use an upgrade that required more lava/water for the same product, even if it increases the speed. As it stands, I can already get more speed at the same efficiency by just adding more extruders.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm not sure what the details are without it, but if you have Tinkers' Construct installed, this page has the stats for tool components made out of all metallurgy materials.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I know balance is a dirty word around here but surely there is a middle ground between Gregtech and creative mode. The problem is how balance is often used as a code word for tedium. I like creating a giant complicated snarl of pipes and power cords in order to run some machines and produce a carefully sorted output to use in future projects. It's less fun to just go into creative mode and make it all appear in service to no further objective. Of course it's also less fun to stand in one place slowly and manually dropping magnesium dust into a vat for thirty minutes straight.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah something like the measuring tape where you tag the end points and it auto-lays the cable between them would be so useful.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you search in NEI for the color of bee you want - red princess, blue princess, whatever - then it'll show you the breeds you need to combine in the mutatron to get it. However if you're just trying to do the purple dye quest and don't want to get heavily into bees (don't get heavily into bees), then just do the Seed Oil quest instead - one of the rewards is a free purple princess and purple drone. Chuck those into an industrial apiary with an automation upgrade, itemduct the output to a barrel of purple combs with overflow going to a chest somewhere. You can check back every so often to toss any new princesses into new apiaries to up your production rate.

edit: If you DO want to get into bees you madman, then you need to chuck redstone into a Mutagen Producer, pipe the mutagen into your Advanced Mutatron (or just put them next to each other), then put some labware in the top slot, and the drone and princess you want to crossbreed to get the target species you want. NEI can tell you which species combine into which.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 30, 2014

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
With so many materials it wouldn't surprise me if some of them are just objectively worse than others that are available at the same time. That said, the stats on Astral Silver are so ridiculously bad I wonder if the chart might be incorrect.

edit: This is the reference page we're talking about.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Ex Nihilo scented hives have a frustratingly high failure rate. Even if all conditions are correct, they still fail to turn into actual beehives nine times out of ten. I tried to get some wintry bees, expanded to a taiga biome, threw snow everywhere, added some flowers, and put down fifteen scented hives. Only one of them became an actual hive, and it dropped a single wintry drone.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
A bees' 'species' is a single mendelian gene. What happened was you kept breeding your purebred Excited line (Excited/Excited) with a purebred Valiant line (Valiant/Valiant). The next generation is naturally going to be a hybrid (Excited/Valiant). Since gene selection is random, if you keep combining that hybrid with purebred valiants, eventually the Excited trait is going to be totally bred out, and you'll just get a Valiant/Valiant princess, which loses you your Excited bee.

Whenever you make a queen in your Mutatron she will be purebred (Excited/Excited). (Make sure you only use Pristine Stock princesses so that the bee has no chance of dying). Run that purebred queen through an industrial apiary and she'll become a purebred princess (Excited/Excited) and 1-4 purebred drones (Excited/Excited). Just keep combining the drones that that princess creates with the princess and you'll have infinite bees of that sort, since you're never introducing new genes to compete with the original. You can also use an automation upgrade for the industrial apiary here - all it does is automatically rebreed the princess with its own offspring. As long as your bee is purebred (as any bee that comes out of a mutatron will be) you'll have bee product forever.

It's possible to replace the Effect: Lightning gene in your excited bees with an Effect: None gene to get redstone-producing bees without the lightning. Run a bunch of meadows drones or some other bee that doesn't have any lightning effects through a Genetic Sampler until you get a Gene Sample: Effect:None. Samples that come up with the wrong gene can be sterilized into clean samples in a furnace and used again. Once you get your Effect: None sample, craft it together with a Genetic Template to get an infinitely-reusable template with Effect:None on it. Put that in a Genetic Imprinter, and run one Excited Princess and one Excited Drone through the imprinter and you'll come out with purebred excited bees without the lightning effect. Genetic Templates hold one of each gene type, so by sampling bees from a variety of species you can work up to a superbee template with fastest production speed, highest fertility, works at night and in the rain without a need for apiary upgrades, etc.

Other ways to get redstone include completing the 50-buckets-of-destabilized-redstone quest, which rewards you with a stack of 64 nether redstone ore. 64 nether redstone ore pulverizes into 1,536 redstone, more than three times what it costs to make the 50 buckets of redstone juice.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I never thought I'd see a mod spergier and grindier than Forestry, but by gum if Mariculture hasn't taken the title. I unrecommend it to everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
To be fair to Tinkers Construct, it was designed when Minecraft biome generation was a fair bit different than it is now. Things like ore frequency haven't changed much, but clay has potentially gotten harder to find if you don't spawn near anything marshy. Combined with most players preferring to build their bases in more scenic biomes like extreme hills, it makes the clayventure a bigger problem then it was probably meant to be. Of course that's no excuse for not altering the grout recipe, but I can see how that would be an easy thing to overlook.

• Locked thread