Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013
So if I wanted to move away from MCPC+ to a Forge-only based server, what options do I have to replace WorldEdit/Perms. Only ForgeEssentials (their code base seems a bit messy)? Or are there alternatives I don't know about?

ps: To clarify: I want to move away from MCPC+ because their extensive changes to the base code make it nearly impossible to debug where our chunkloading issues come from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

straw man posted:

Some folks on the Toast server have discovered that there seems to be a limit to the number of particle accelerators you can have on one server at one time. If you go over this limit, when you turn on the new accelerator, the actual "Particle Accelerator" block disappears. I don't see anything in the various Universal Electricity config files about it, and there's nothing in the log that suggests this would be the result of an error. Has anyone encountered this issue before, and if so, do you know a way around it?

I don't know in particular about that limit, but I did profile our server while someone had a particle accelerator running and the particle itself caused *massive* CPU usage because it does a lot of collision detection checks. So I would highly recommend limiting yourself w.r.t. to those.

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

eh4 posted:

Upgraded to 1.6.2 yesterday. Congratulations Forge, I hate you too now. Let's just add to the confusion with changing directories, locking out other mods without a clear compatibility pathway, and adding whimsical JVM options you'll no doubt remove when you realize users are just going around your toll booth.

Without Forge, there would probably not be nearly as many mods for Minecraft, and most of them would be incompatible...

Anyway. There IS a clear compatibility pathway. Mods have to use the mechanism introduced by the Mojang 1.6 launchwrapper and patch the Mojang classes at runtime using the way Mojang intended. Mojang however (and thats on them, really) did not include a way to launch with multiple Tweak classes. So FML includes a way to call other Tweak classes (basically that how Forge coremods work now btw.) when it's done. Basically, if a JarMod uses the intended Mojang way of patching in functionality at runtime, it should be trivial to integrate with FML.

This should actually allow for MORE compatibility between Jar Mods, although that depends on their way of patching the classes.

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

EricFate posted:

I'll take him over Tahg and EvilSeph any day of the week. I wasn't sad to see that pair vanish from the employee list.
Grum, on the other hand, I'm glad he stuck around. He actually seems to DO things.

What I don't get about chosing SeargeDP is that his achievement boils down to reverse engineering an obfuscated game and managing to put it back together. Is their code base so convoluted that they need an external reverse engineering expert to make it ready for public consumption via a Modding API?

To top it off. Why didn't they stop obfuscating their main code long ago? They could surely limit their obfuscator to the actual copy protection parts (authentication/launcher, etc.) and leave the game logic unobfuscated.

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

Taffer posted:

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure the reasons for obfuscation are legal, not technical.

It protects them from others copying their game mechanics very easily, and it also offers some protection from people circumventing the auth-servers. There's no legal requirement to obfuscate their bytecode. Although copyright doesn't seem to be very popular around these forums, it protects Mojang regardless of obfuscation.

Regarding the copying of game mechanics: MCP makes that pretty easy regardless of their obfuscation, doesn't it? ;-)

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

Shukaro posted:

The only reason they don't release it unobfuscated is a lawyer told them not to once and they never thought about it again.

Hah! It wouldn't surprise me. They really really don't need it for copyright protection though heh. Regardless. It doesn't seem like they are going to omit obfuscation now anyway.

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013
Sooo regarding the current version of Big Reactors for 1.6.4: Where do I even start to get the most efficient design?
Are there currently any resources for this?

Currently I have just a medium sized structure that puts around ~260 mj/t. But given the space, I wonder if I would still be better off with a fuel bee and a max-size boiler, given it would output roughly the same amount of energy in less space.

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

m2pt5 posted:

Not only that, it wasn't for the current version of the pack but the previous version.

Mojang needs to put their stance in plain English so these PERMISSIONS :byodood: assholes can shut the gently caress up already.

Not to rain on your parade here, but: "This permission must be irrevocable, and you must also let us permit other people to use, copy, modify and adapt your content."

I haven't seen Mojang give blanket permission to everyone for every mod out there. Until they do, the EULA changes *nothing* about the current situation. Modders can still hit anyone distributing their stuff using a DMCA takedown notice.

So. Legally you're allowed to distribute other peoples mods in these cases:
- The modder used a permissive license that automatically gives you the right to re-distribute (i.e. OSI approved licenses or some other bullshitty Minecraft mod license)
- The modder individually licensed the rights to you (for which "giving permission" is an alias)
- Mojang sub-licensed their right to redistribute to you (which I haven't seen them do yet)

Don't get me wrong. I really don't like the shenanigans involved here, but that's how copyright law more or less boils down to for software. Personally I prefer mods with OSI approved licenses (Modular Powersuits for example is BSD-2 if i remember correctly). Simply because they have widely known consequences w.r.t. to distribution and adaption. Creative commons is a good choice for closed-source mods as well. And it personally pains me to see some minecraft modder write his own Software license. Many others before him have tried - and failed.

*EDIT*: Clarified/expanded.

Gimpanse fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 27, 2013

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

Thanks man! I was blind :-(

This really helps me out.

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

Reason posted:

Legally we can do whatever we want with a mod. Good luck showing otherwise.

I don't care either way what you do. When a modder goes ballistic and slaps you with a DMCA takedown notice, it's not my website thats going down.

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

Zebrin posted:

Didn't that already happen on more then one occasion? It's never stuck, and in fact blew up in the modder's face so hard that they became laughingstocks for pretty much everyone in this thread.

You're right in that realistically, sending takedown notices is easy and free. Following up after they've been ignored is hard and expensive.

It's also probable that the impact of the Mojang EULA provision on redistribution of mods will never ever be tested in court ;-)

So in the end, one has to worry primarily about those pesky notices and how to eventually mitigate the damage they can do. I would keep those files far far away from any important personal domains, websites or dropbox accounts, since they could go down as collateral damage from the combination of a trigger happy modder and scared web hoster.

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

Taffer posted:

This is really the thing. When a company wants to protect a digital product, they don't make it available to the public for download. If you want to restrict how a digital product you make is used, make it private. If you put it up publicly, it can and will be used in whatever loving manner the people downloading it see fit. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Copyright law begs to differ. Right to use does NOT infer a right to copy. But it seems pointless to discuss the intricacies of that here. If you really want to extend your horizon a bit, read up on the GPL in court. It's a good example for a free product that comes with restrictions, and how these restrictions hold up in court. Funnily enough, the same argument "it's made available for free" was used there, and it was shot down.

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013
Hm. Would you guys run a server with MCPC+ or try to go with Forge-only?

We are running on MCPC+ right now, but the incompatibilities that come from that are very very annoying. Particularly in relation to dimensions and chunkloading. However, is there even a good replacement for permissions/anti-griefing that is forge-only? I saw MyTown (or whatever it's called) and ForgeEssentials. But the last time i checked ForgeEssentials, there code was *atrocious*.

Any recommendations?

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

quote:

Is it even possible?
Why wouldn'it be? It probably couldn't have creepers or "The End" and anything related to it in it, though.

quote:

And what would the odds of the average Modded-Minecraft-player even caring?
Good question. Probably the rightest of questions :P

There is an attempt at re-implementing Minecraft in C++ here: http://minetest.net/
Didn't really like their tech-choices when I looked at it a while ago, and I don't know how far along they are now.

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

quote:

Having 37 versions of TE out there is not.

There probably is an OSI approved license out there that meets the open source criteria, but will prevent forks from using the original name. The standard route would be using trademarks (trademark and restrict usage of the name, opensource the software), but for mods that is probably way overboard.

Regarding your other project: I worked on MMORPG server software back in the ultima online freeshard days and have some expertise if you need any. Although I still do quite a bit of C++ for OpenGL, I do Java backend services professionally. If you need any help, I'd be ready :P

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

quote:

melting cobble into seared stone and pouring it on individual bricks or brick blocks.
Couldn't you just pump the bricks into the casting table with an item-duct, and pull the finished block out again using another item-duct (with a filter set)?
Then simply pump into the table via liquiduct...

Seems easily doable unless I misunderstand you.

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

jadedcat posted:

I have been here for a while. I lurk. Never really say much since a lot of people seem to dislike me and my association with FTB. *shrug* I don't do politics much.

I love BR, and no not TT I have other evil plans for TC4.1 addons <.< going a different route with Ag Skies.

Would you be opposed to adding more decorative options? I.e. chisel, carpenters blocks, or similar mods?

I only wish i could make my sky fortress (it's not just a block anymore!) look more intimidating ;-)

ps: Loving AG so far. Great work!
pps: Are transfer nodes disabled beacuse they are too cheap? I really like them for doing compact automation.. :(

Gimpanse fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 18, 2014

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

ducttape posted:

simplest way is probably enable cheat mode, give yourself an inventory full of hearts, and eat them. Repeat if your life total gets down to 3 digits.

The easiest way is to use one of the HQM commands (http://hqm.wikispaces.com/Commands):

/hqm lives add 1000

I used "/hqm edit" to fix a broken quest (after upgrading from v1 to v2) before.

Very nice mod!

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

So it's rather an uneducated opinion since I haven't reached the steelmaking quests yet, but is a high furnace generally a replacement for the whole smeltery then? I mean even if it can't do alloys, smelting whole stacks is pretty significant.

I was trying to do exactly that. It not forming alloys is actually extremely useful, since you can use a single high oven to pump all your ore into without getting lots of invar/bronze.

Two problems with the version in AS though:

1) It can't smelt the ore bits directly, only the ore blocks that come from crafting the bits together.
2) The ducts to pipe items into the furnace are simply broken, making it impossible to automate.

Once those two are fixed, it would be my #1 go-to way of making a huge auto-ore-processing in AS.

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

Magmarashi posted:

All of them enchanted with fortune

Don't forget you can easily strip off enchantments using the auto-disenchanter and put them onto other items using an anvil.
(If you're really into it, you can then copy the enchanted books using bibliocraft)

That also gives context to those seemingly trollish boats with feather falling ;-)

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

I'll just straight ask: is there anything I can do to avoid metals alloying when I pipe them to a smeltery, short of an assembler and pulverizer for every single ore (each feeding to a communal furnace)?

While I'm at it, how would I go about automating getting ingots out of a smeltery?

You can get away with having two smelteries. One does copper, lead and nickel, while the other does everything else. That way you avoid alloys.
Another way - that may fall flat because of how buggy the mod currently is - is the Tinkers Steelworks High Oven. It doesn't form alloys at all.

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

Bhodi posted:

It you go with two smelteries, and funneling pulverized ores directly into it, how do you get around the problem of half-pours?

By having one casting table per metal I am casting. Use liquiduct filters (one servo per table) to assign each table exactly one ore.
If you are afraid of backstopping the liquiduct (since it'll take longer to pour out ingots), you can use portable tanks in output mode
above each casting-table as buffers.

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

President Ark posted:

You could also have the admin cheat in a strongbox full of life hearts.

It doesnt seem to be well known, but HQM (the mod that provides that quest book) actually has a few useful commands:
http://hqm.wikispaces.com/Commands

That makes it pretty easy to add a liberal number of lives to any player.

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

Smarmy Coworker posted:

now how the frick does rednet work

What do you want to know :-)

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

KingLemming posted:

It's literally almost the worst, to be honest.

Render-wise, I wrote something better one day over lunch a few months ago. There's just so much that has to be done, and I'm just not at a point in my life where I could sit down and do it.

Also, Notch just hit the right notes at the right time. MC is a terrible engine, and the guys working on it know it. But there's a ton of inertia, and I'd realistically need a kickstarter in the 200k+ range to get a couple of guys and code a new one up in any reasonable timeframe.

What happened to that minetest thing (http://minetest.net/)?

I found lua+c++ to not be such a great choice, since the only way for such a thing to be relevant would be stellar mod support. (Since I suppose vanilla users are content with what Mojang has to offer).

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

ShoulderDaemon posted:

To be honest, I'm really sympathetic with Grum's perspective in that exchange. Modloaders are already doing a fairly significant amount of reflection and dynamic loading; there's no particularly good reason I can see for why you shouldn't put the logic for downloading a bunch of mods, unpacking them, and then loading their code directly into the forge API so that users wouldn't have to deal with separate launchers at all, and would just start up minecraft, select the modpack they want, and start playing. The fact that the program for downloading and unpacking mods is separate from the game itself is just an extra hurdle for users and kinda dumb, especially once you've already bought into the idea that mods are directly loving with the game code itself anyway.

With that approach, coremods are impossible though. Coremods are loaded before parts of Minecraft itself are loaded. I don't see how that would work with your approach. I do agree it would be more comfortable. But it would also mean that 5 minute load you're seeing today? It would happen when you join a server/load a world, not when the game starts up.

ps: I agree with you. It would be very nice. I had hoped that a Mojang modding API would bring us this comfort, but it seems Grum thinks the Bukkit API would be "good enough". What a joke... Some Bukkit plugins are actually intercepting and injecting packets into the network connection directly to work around Bukkit's shortcomings.

Gimpanse fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 1, 2014

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

KakerMix posted:

Mojang is dead, RIP all RIPs.

EDIT
You know, just hocking 15k usernams and passwords, no big deal

I also noticed he admitted to hacking Yahoo on Reddit. But I doubt that much will come of it...

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

SugarAddict posted:

They spawn in enchanted forest biome. If you got them, you will always have more of them. Stick one in a pokeball for later, grind the rest.

Grinding them will also give you knowledge fragments which you can eat for TC research points. Great fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimpanse
Jul 15, 2013

quote:

And this one of the reasons I don't like infernal mobs.

I hate infernal mobs with a passion... I just can't deal with how big the power-spread is and how unpredictable they are.

• Locked thread