Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I wish Railcraft had its fluid tanks set up as a separate mod because that's all I've ever used out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Ars magica progression is cool and good, in my opinion, as a comparison

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Please add mystcraft to modderation eventually or I will be forced to take drastic measures (local branch and do it myself)

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Maybe if your server sucks and is bad

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Any mod that lets me generate my own dimensions is cool and good. In my opinion

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i like biomes o plenty but god if it isn't an awful laggy piece of poo poo. thanks for listening.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
minecraft 2 will cost $30 and still have ads on win8

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
need a cool survival & adventure pack that isn't horseshit

madpack 2 is awful

please assist

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Played through ME^3 but wasn't too into it. Kind of a pain to build around some structure that already exists to be honest. Thinking about Modderation but is there a server pack already put together? If not I can just fiddle with hamachi, yolo

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

CADPAT posted:

So is it worth it/doable to go through the mod list and verify for 1.8 compatibility or does it require something beyond it?

No mods are ever compatible with newer versions, and only very recently were mods available for 1.7.2. This is because minecraft does not support mods

However, most mods in Hexxit have 1.7 updates right now, except Chocolate Quest (i think) and the super cool magic mod Ars Magica

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

fondue posted:

Incoming update to Thaumcraft ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euN9usiCDMA

I like the area of effect he added and the mechanics are neat.

g*dly

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Bop is bad and will make your game run like rear end

If you must have it, also install mystcraft so you cn make separate bop-only dimensions while maintaining default minecraft world

I am thinking about making a better dimensions mod... hmm...

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Mzbundifund posted:

What exactly is it about BoP that makes it run so poorly? As far as I can tell, none of the blocks it adds differ dramatically from the blocks in vanilla biomes. Is it a problem with Minecraft just being too poorly optimized to handle a large number of biome options, or is there something specific about Biomes o' Plenty that is badly done?

I think a general optimization problem with minecraft, bop just puts way to many visible blocks in the same area. But also the fairy enemies added to the sky dimension never despawn and continuously multiply when youre in there lmbo

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any alternatives you would suggest? I'm having a hard time finding stuff on my own, partly because it's been so long, and partly because the community seems to be almost as bad a hugbox as the Elder Scrolls forums when it comes to giving feedback.

It might be fine on its own if you disable a number of the biomes via config, like 2/3 of them are just slight modifications kf the other 1/3 anyway

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

ToastyPotato posted:

Has there really never been a near straight update/sequel to Hexxit after all this time? Hexxit is 1.5.2 for crying out loud. And I know most of the mods in there were updated to later versions along the way. Every modpack I come across has a ton of extra stuff I don't want (like galactic craft) and tons of high tech stuff that I am not really interested in. Minecraft Expanded(I think that was the name?) was alright and came pretty close (as a 1.6.4 mod) but it was always very buggy and unstable for me. Madpack seems OK but it has some kind of ticking difficulty thing that will probably end up forcing me to quit or something.

Nothing has captured the magic of my Hexxit experience. I still go back to it. But it frustratingly has a much older version of Tinkers, missing some features like reordering the melted ores in your forge. It also doesn't have some of the cooler dungeons from later versions of Chocolate quest. I dunno if those newer versions also added new enemy designs or if that was a separate mod.

madpack 1 is good and gives a very hexxit feel, but is 1.6
madpack 2 is trash

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

SheepThrowinBoy posted:

Speaking of how awful Biomes o Plenty is, I'd love to put it on my server but I have no idea what I'm doing. Does anyone have a walkthrough or tutorial to help someone who's never done this kind of thing before? I'm not completely ill-equipped, I know about and can manipulate cfg files and access stuff via FTP, I've been through the whole level-type:BIOMESOP process, but nothing I do seems to make the server generate maps with BOP running. I'm using multicraft, if that makes a difference, and when I get into the game all the BOP blocks are searchable via NEI, but trying to give them to myself results in a ITEM NO. XXXXX DOESN'T EXIST error. Google's not failing me, but nothing I find there seems to fix it. If there's a from-scratch guide to making this poo poo work I'd really appreciate it.

edit: should probably mention we're trying to run the whole Yogscast Complete mod pack.

i think the current version of BoP is hosed up because the DireWolf20 pack simply can not generate worlds without crashing, if you have the type set to BoP, and the console log tells me the blocks don't exist. download somethin older

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Ariong posted:

Can someone explain to me how the pipes in Thaumcraft work?

they can only hold one thing in them at once. jars have sucking force on x number of pipes depending on how full they are. you can route stuff around with valves. poo poo leaks if jars aren't closed off from each other because of conflicting forces.
just use golems.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
energy cells can be faux-multiblock if you configure the io correctly B)

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_lYfSC5yUc

and i thought gregtech was bad before...

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
you don't need treecapitator since it has veinminer, which works on logs unless for some stupid reason they disabled wood blocks when putting it in the pack. it also has journeymap.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

ToastyPotato posted:

I hadn't noticed the veinminer and didn't even think to try it until I had already installed treecapitator. Veinminer feels really cheaty though.

How so? It does mine a bunch of stuff near-instantly, but it at least uses durability appropriately for each block mined. All it really does is save you time.
it's a baller way to get cobblestone

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

ToastyPotato posted:

The speed is really it. Treecapitor actually slows you down a bit. Veinminer feels like I am in creative mode almost. It's actually really handy when you need a lot of blocks and don't feel like grinding too much, but if I am just chilling and playing with some music in the background I kinda don't mind taking it a bit slow. I just don't like having to pillar up to get logs.

aiight.
you can configure a lot about veinminer but sadly I doubt mining speed is configurable. i believe in you, and hope you enjoy your experience.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
nope, the molecular assembler requires interfaces to hold the patterns. however, a combination with project red piping and inventory interface could allow this? i don't think you can insert into the pattern slots from pipes but it might be possible.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i looked that up because i hadn't seen it and have been doing poo poo manually but to be more accurate, http://ae-mod.info/ME-Interface-Terminal/

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Ariong posted:

Can someone explain to be what is wrong with this picture? I can get you another angle if you need it. Not pictured: 11 Vis crystal clusters hanging from the ceiling.

if the problem is instability effects (things on altars turning into goop / being popped off) then have a bunch of mats on your person to replace them when it happens (and when something disappears it uses more essentia, so make sure to have more than necessary for the crafting) OR add like 60 mob heads around/below the thing

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Ariong posted:

My main worry was that it wasn't working. I had assumed that the instability effects meant I had done something wrong. If the recipe calls for fewer recipes than you have pedestals, does it matter which oens you put them on? What order you place them in?

AS for the instability, ow about more candles? Or, got any tips for making/getting mob heads?

1)

MechaCrash posted:

It may have changed, but I am pretty sure that while the order in which you place stuff doesn't matter, the way you put it on the pedestals does. Try to keep things more or less symmetrical to keep the altar from getting angry and knocking poo poo on the floor.

symmetry is key for increased stability

2) if you have tinker's construct installed, the cleaver has +drop for mob heads. also, candles would work as well if you can't get heads, as will crystal clusters

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I figured out why my game doesnt work, apparently forge or something doesnt work with Java 8, I need to use Java 7 64 bit.

how the f*ck

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
the direwolf20 pack is good a

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

SugarAddict posted:

For those who are playing the new ME^4 modpack on FTB, there's a few things you need to know
SPOILERS!

There's two chests in the starting area that I found, one is behind and on top of the bedrock cage, the second is UNDER the platform, you will have to use the water to get down and back up. There may be more chests or containers in the starting area that I missed.

There are FAKE BLOCKS in some places that look like regular blocks from a distance, but once you get close to them you can see they are actually inventory blocks, there's two of them in the IO room.

Also, would this modpack something you would like to see a screenshot LP of?

if yoiu don't do a vlp you're a loving lamer who has a gay voice, probably, but also minecraft sslp of me4 is going to be trash because it's an exciting challenge map

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i was thinking about making a mod and put the details in a notepad document. tell me if this seems attractive to you.

Improved Ores
- Each ore drops 'ore chunk' like coal
- Ore chunk can be smelted to become ingot
- Fortune enchant increases # of chunks you get up to 4 with Fortune 3 (or however that poo poo works)
- Silk Touch gives block; smelts into 3 ingots
- Pulverization compatibility : 5 dust

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
install OBS

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

is there any way to permanently fix NEI breaking cause Direwolfs pack takes way too long to load

there might be a new version of NEI to install, I don't think the pack has updated recently

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
trying 2 put together a mod pack kind of like hexxit but i can't figure out if i want to exclude tech mods because i'm addicted to the convenience
i'm also very concerned that dimensional doors has not been updated to 1.7.10 and the author is considering skipping straight to 1.8

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Having a slight issue with TC4/AM2 if anyone knows the solution.

Witchwood and Magical forests don't have biome shading, and Witchwood trees have no shading anywhere, though since they have bright white leaves (instead of gray) I don't know if that's unintended or what.
Also using BOP if that changed generation in some weird way that messes with the coloring.

edit; i've set the thaumcraft config to enable blue magic forest so idk if that might fix it who knows

THE PENETRATOR fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 8, 2015

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
apparently witchwood biomes are supposed to be white now :|

lol this mod... is bad

THE PENETRATOR fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 8, 2015

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
TC autosmelt pick turns all forestry ores into apetite and mekanism ores don't smelt

help

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
at least he offers config options

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Shukaro posted:

Optifine breaks everything and is bad

untrue

so far its only broken my skybox and caused an epileptic fit

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
tghat's what the well of suffering is for, my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

LanceKing2200 posted:

Starting a Hexxit server to play with friends, anything I should know before diving in?

all I remember about the last time I played it is secret rooms mod items destroyed chunks, but I believe the mod was removed from the pack.

• Locked thread