Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm starting to get into Hexxit, after having to twist its arm a little bit. I was wondering: is it really running Minecraft 1.5.2? I had been playing with 1.7.4 beforehand. It keeps wanting to show me the horse update when I launch. I was actually hoping the vanilla horses were in there. I thought I could make a horse saddle with these mods, but I guess not. The Chocobos are kind of slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Man it took me a lot longer than I think it should have to figure out that smeltery in Hexxit (Tinkerer's Tool Pack?). I guess I agree with the notion that going through all that bullshit is worth 2x the yield smelting things, but getting to that point was a real adventure. I eventually figured out to make all the blocks I wanted, I needed to be pouring into basins, instead of onto the tables. I was wondering why after stuffing the drat thing up with, like, 45 iron ores that it wouldn't pour anything.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
In Hexxit, how should I approach getting better equipped for entering all these crazy structures that surround me? I managed to do two pairs of castles that were generated next to each other (roughly 4 structures total). Then there was this other castle. In that one, I ran into a zombie that was shooting exploding fireballs that were beating the poo poo out of me. I had started putting on some of the drops I found, and otherwise I am using diamond gear. Meanwhile, I have respectable piles of core ingredients for things that I can get in the Overworld. In that I also have "meteor crap" (shards and gems and something else). And then there's all this essence. I also started casting weapons, so I have an iron hammer and an iron rapier.

Also in this mod, what can I easily combine together to take the tedium out of mining obsidian?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have some questions in Hexxit, regarding dimensional door travel, and swords.

For dimensional doors, I wondered if I could have have doors from various areas in various dimensions wind up in a small area in my pocket portal, basically using it as a transit hub. If nobody knows, the best I can ponder there is to screw around creating rifts with the rift blade rift signatures, with one end in the overworld/nether/end/fairy forest/whatever and the other in a spot in my pocket dimension. I assume it will work but I'd honestly rather ask on the Internet and understand the caveats then start screwing up everything.

The other has to do with crafting up an appropriate sword. While doing a 3km overworld round-trip, my standby sword just disappeared from my inventory. I have no idea what happened. It was just a diamond sword with Fire Aspect I, but it was doing a decent job with all my overworld antics. I found another diamond sword that had Bane of the Anthropods IV on it, and I use that when spiders are around because I hate spiders*. I was thinking it was about time I made a better standby word for playing around in the Nether and raiding. I have a good pile of alloys, lots of meteor stuff, essences out my rear end, a working understanding of smelting, an enchanting table with the max books, and an anvil. If it comes down to weapon type, I rarely block.

*The spider combat mechanics in this game are really screwed up. They all end up just kind of floating above me, darting down quickly and up even faster. And then in the middle of all that you just get randomly damaged. Then they fall for one damage, which renders them invulnerable for half a second, so I can't even hit them. Then they hit me again. Poisonous spiders are the worst because that's an automatic 3 hearts down right there. I've just taken it as a unique kind of challenge. Like I hit a level of an underground tower that spawned spiders, and I ended up just building a cobblestone tunnel from the stairway to the spawner so I could bean the drat thing with a pick. At least with the enchanted sword, I can one-shot the drat spiders.

Edit: I guess I need to use rift signatures for what I want.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 25, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I didn't manage to get to casting a new sword yet since I went on a wild goose chase trying to find a site that I actually wanted to connect with dimensional doors. I ended up going one dimension deeper from my starting pocket dimension to create the nexus/hub. There I marked a spot something like 3 units north and 6 units west. So I tried to find a good spot on the Overworld that would scale that way; something where I could drop down a nether gate beyond 1km from where this was all going down. I found a suitable spot: a goblin castle right next to a village, bridging two oceans. I spent an hour and a half trying to clean it up. The goblin combat was much more interesting because they actually block. I ended up just charge striking the goblin king into the castle's fountain and got him to drown. I ended up kind of digging into the castle so I missed the whole dungeon raid thing that was supposed to happen underneath, but I eventually went down there to shut up everything that was moaning and clanging. After that all quieted down, I found a good house inside the castle to mark the second part of the rift, tossed up my door, and went through. Indeed, it sent me into the little nexus area I was staging. That linked up everything quite nicely.

I want to try some of those construction ideas, but I don't have a wither bone yet. Where I wound up in the Nether didn't get me near a fortress that I could see. I finally figured out how all the map stuff works so I was able to scroll around and find what looked like a fortress. It was a bunch of purple rectangles linking to each other. It will be a rough trip trying to get to either that I could pick out. Are there other, convenient ways to get wither bones? Come to think of it, I don't think I ever managed to get one when I was beating vanilla. I knocked out a few wither skeletons but never got one to drop one. I was trying to get blaze rods so I didn't try that hard, and the fortress I found in vanilla didn't have a dungeon spawn for them, so I couldn't just camp and swing away.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm getting fed up with teleporting with the series of mods in Hexxit. Twice in a row when I've been teleported, I get suffocated in some wall somewhere, at a writeoff to all my poo poo. It takes all the fun out of a night playing this stuff. The first was the Twilight Forest. I finally made a portal in, then I looked around, and built the return portal. Bam, suffocated in a wall. After that, the portal started to work fine actually. Eventually I wound up in a dimensional dungeon and then to limbo. I manage to escape through ... into the middle of the ground.

I just get fed up, turn on cheats, and try to approximate the gear I had on me when this poo poo happens. Is there an enchantment or item I can get within the realms of Hexxit that would prevent the suffocation death, at least for a little, so I could potentially just dig myself out? I have less of an issue with that.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Within the mods that are in Hexxit, is there anything good I can do with all the random junk I have stockpiled? I'm thinking about a lot of the iron stuff (tools, weapons, armor) I've managed to pick up. I have a lot of better items and was hoping there was something I could do with them to make them into something better or at least more useful.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was pondering a texture pack for Hexxit and it needs Sphax PureBDcraft for the base. I went to download it from what is their official site, and it eventually refers me to some download manager. I really hate download managers. Is this going going to throw an Ask.com toolbar all over my computer or something else equally frustrating?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

SamDabbers posted:

Here's the non-download-manager link to the base Sphax pack for 1.5.2, which is the version Hexxit uses. Nevermind, it appears it needs the referrer set to adf.ly. Here's the adf.ly version.

Here's the forum thread for the Hexxit-specific textures, which you need to merge into the base Sphax zip file.

gently caress that download manager poo poo. Also adf.ly.

That adf.ly link wanted to dump that download manager on my PC too. I think I'll act like it doesn't exist and I just got back from another universe.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Regarding Tinkerer's Construct: It took me IMO too much work to figure out how to set up the drat smeltery in the first place. I just wasn't following it from the books that it drops in your inventory, and the YouTube videos that go "according to the book you blabla" were poo poo too. Beyond that you had to rely on YouTube videos to see how casting worked. One could probably explain all the mechanics of the mod in a nice, one-screen (hi-res) infographic. It came with Hexxit, and I have found in that pack I don't have much use for... "domestic duties" and my whole approach to the game--including setting that up--was probably flawed. You get enough materials just raiding the environment, food comes off shrubs and gets dropped in earlier parts of raids. About the only thing I use the smeltery for now is a hammer and a mattock. I have gotten more combat power out of enchanted regular items and my flaming shotgun legia bow. That thing took out the Ender Dragon without all the healing crystals knocked out.

I didn't know about the bucket thing, but it were true, I wouldn't recommend buckets either. Rather make some casts of ingots and nuggets by throwing them right on a casting table and pouring your cast metal of choice around them. Smelt large sums of ore right into basins to get blocks, then switch to the ingots, then switch to some nuggets. Then if you're paranoid maybe do the bucket thing.

I hate getting into wishlists but I'd probably use the mod more in Hexxit if it could break down some of the lesser loot I got, had some mechanisms for armor, and allowed magic enchanting on its items.

I've asked about excess item management in the thread before, and I was glad to hear about things like the unchanting table from the Twilight Forest in Hexxit, but I wondered if there were other general mods to handle this crap. I thought I read something earlier in the thread about reducing garbage items down to some kind of essence or whatever. I looked online and found Thaumcraft apparently has golems that you can assign to move stuff, but I don't know how well it can sort general categories of things into different containers.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Vib Rib posted:

I know I'm in the minority here, given that it's in virtually every modpack, but I really don't like Twilight Forest at all. It seems spread really thin and everything is sort of haphazardly tossed in, not to mention its blocks are largely incompatible with most other things.
I don't use it too much either. I didn't really think about it too much but I could list some things out:
1. Somewhere between Hexxit and using Minecraft 1.5.2, almost every time I changed dimensions when it wasn't the Nether, it would take forever to load the chunk I would start in while filling in other chunks. So I'd end up eventually slowly sinking a few blocks, the chunk would load, and then BAM! Suffocated! In some dirt! I don't think that is Twilight Forest's fault but it doesn't really help.
2. The lack of any real guide or anything with Hexxit meant I didn't really try it until I wouldn't have appreciated most of what it could do. If I was starting over, I would try to get there as soon as I can to take advantage of the easier places to get stuff but...
3. ...Now that you mention it, the items in there don't play too well with other stuff. I don't know I could really get out of half the stuff I find in there.
4. For whatever reason, not having monsters arbitrarily show up is kind of a turn off since it makes it into something like an amusement park where you travel in safety to various rides. I think that's the issue you have with the spread of it, and I guess I feel the same way.
5. Whenever I create a portal, I end up having to take off my helmet since I usually magnetize it, which keeps me from throwing the diamond into the portal to start it. When I finally toss the diamond in, helmetless, I almost get my head blown off when the portal is created.

I guess its problems generally come down to how it integrates with other packs and how other packs frame it with what else they have.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Skanky Burns posted:

Speaking of TC, how would you make a hammer that mines up obsidian?

If you have Not Enough Items combined with Tinkerer's Construct, you might as well have a sandbox world where you throw a few of the hammers, or even the parts for them, slap out some obsidian, and just see what happens. I haven't gotten consistent information on all the tools in the mod so I had to resort to experiments in a sandbox to see what all happens.

I have been holding on to a diamoned-tipped, iron hammer. It can do obsidian, but it ends up doing it much slower than mining an individual piece. I end up not mining obsidian with it because nothing bores me more than being one block away from a wall, banging on it, over and over again. I don't know what I was expecting from MINEcraft, but I was hoping some of the mining mechanics weren't going to be like that. I play a lot of Hexxit now and wind up getting obsidian in loot somehow. I don't really know where exactly, but I think it may be from dimensional dungeons.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there some kind of modpack for playing around under water? I see a few mods out there with this or that, so I wondered if it ever got aggregated into something nice. I have been wandering around in my Hexxit game, looking for a place to make a nice underwater dome. I think that means I've had a change of mood and should be looking at a different mod pack instead.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How can I automate faucets with Tinkerer's Construct without other crazy industrial mods? I'm trying to make a bunch of glass blocks in Hexxit, so the resources available to me for automation are pretty much vanilla stuff. Note I haven't really played with redstone circuits before, although I understand the terminology with flip-flops and the like. I pretty much just want the faucets to be pouring as much as possible, since this is a single-purpose setup. I finally figured out the hoppers--I think. I'd see the stuff disappear into them, move around, and disappear somewhere on the way to the chest. I'd come back a 60 seconds later and they'd get past whatever constipation they had.

Hmm while I'm at it, is there anything within Hexxit that would help me feed in lava? I was just going to have a large reservoir and top it off with lava outside a lava sea in the Nether. I have a dimensional door that takes me there, but it's still tedious.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Edminster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUw15TLn_cY

The first minute and a half is mDiyo (the guy who makes Tinker's) showing how to build a vanilla automated smeltery.

Thanks. It looks like I was activating things correctly, but I need a pulse extender to do blocks. His tutorial does ingots, which I guess pour fine in the limited time that the signal is sustained by the single extender he has. So I guess now I have to get into clever programmable extenders and stuff.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Serifina posted:

Actually, I asked. A single pulse also works for blocks of metal in the basins. (I also tested it, and it does work just fine.)
...Was that you that posted in the YouTube thread? I can't get that to work with basins. I got an extender working and can clearly see activated red going to the faucet when it's active. When this starts, the faucet does indeed pour, but it stops well short of filling a basin, even though the signal is still being asserted. :(

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Serifina posted:

Indeed that was me. Are you duplicating his setup or using something like the Extra Utilities clock?

I wasn't using anything special, but I suppose I wasn't using his identical setup either. So that was you. The only thing I can really think to try is get into creative mode and slap it out as exact what he's doing as possible.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Serifina posted:

It's just a regular pulse of redstone. If you have a second pulse, I believe it shuts it off again. I've fiddled around a bit with smeltery automation. It doesn't seem to work as well for seared stone or clear glass but it shouldn't have any trouble with metal blocks.

Ah well good to know, although I was planning all this for clear glass. I'm looking into what it would take to do an underwater glass dome without resorting to creative mode.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Serifina posted:

If you set up a fast-running redstone clock (like a comparator clock, or even just using Extra Utilities clocks) and let them go, it'll look a little funny, pulsing on and off, but it will work and will fill the basins. At that point, you just want to have the biggest smeltery you can manage, with like eight or nine basins and automation to feed lava into the tank and sand into the controller. It won't take too long that way, as long as your lava and sand supplies last.

I just made one of those fast-cycling, tail-chasing clocks that apparently works fine in vanilla. I got that to work in a sandbox, and then had it run along the top of the smeltery, where it could hit all the faucets. That's making glass faster than I can lay it, so I can't really complain. I don't think there's anything in Hexxit to help dispense lava.

All the stuff I read about building underwater domes mentioned started from a flat spot and building up. I kind of wonder instead if I should have found an isolated island with deep sea around it, and started to carve away from it. That way instead of filling something in just to dig it out again, I'm just digging it out, and I can use the hollow space I claim as I go to stage things.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there any magical stuff or whatever in Hexxit that can help me air out an underwater dome? I know I kind of went for the wrong mod with getting into a big building project, but I generally do like raiding around. I was hoping there was something that could, say, drop 3x3 cubes of sand or gravel underwater so I can dig it out to get an aired-out space.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there any magical stuff or whatever in Hexxit that can help me air out an underwater dome? I know I kind of went for the wrong mod with getting into a big building project, but I generally do like raiding around. I was hoping there was something that could, say, drop 3x3 cubes of sand or gravel underwater so I can dig it out to get an aired-out space.

Responding to myself to mention that I found a fun solution. Hexxit has the Better Dungeons mod, which has capsule stations. During my adventures, I ran around with emeralds once until I ran into a dude selling big capsule stations, and I bought a pair of them. They make a 15x15x9 area inside which you can cram anything you want. You then walk up to the station with an empty capsule (empty bottle + piston) and the whole thing collapses into the capsule in your inventory. You then walk over to where you want to deploy it, right click with the capsule and BAM! Everything shows up there.

So I built a dirt/side 15x15x9 frame above ground with a station inside and condensed that down, took it inside my wet dome and deployed it in a more open part of the dome. That gave me an instant air pocket. I then hit it with the capsule again, which collapsed the pocket and starts to let in water from the top and sides, ran a few steps, and deployed it again. I can just run around doing that and air out the inside very quickly. Heck this is faster than any method I ever read about. Sand forms are very tedious, for example. My only real problem is collateral damage to the dome from going too close to the edges. I think I just missed blowing out some of the glass doing this.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It looks like my interests dramatically and quickly changed from running around and adventuring like in Hexxit to ... domestic activities like building undersea domes and putting things together. Has Never Stop Toasting become the thing for that now? I am assuming with ComputerCraft I could make a bunch of these turtle things and vomit a Lua script to have them build my undersea domes for me. Is there a nice video or page that glosses through all the crazy things you can do with the building/automation mods?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sunblood posted:

It can fully charge a Resonant Energy Cell in ~6 seconds.

Given I am only now about to jump down this particular avenue of Minecraft, I don't really know what's going on. Still, I'm pretty sure whoever wrote that mod should make it so that if you plug any kind of cell into the thing you made, the cell should just instantly explode out of sheer terror.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Never Stop Toasting trip report here.

I haven't been able to try anything new other than my trusted known and true mostly due to sheer fear and panic induced by the Mo Creatures mod. At the end of my first night, I started trying to emerge out of my mountain mine to find an ogre had trashed everything I had done. It was just camped outside my hole. I remember hearing here people bitching about it and saying they turned them off in the configs, and that's what I did. I think something is hosed if you had a whole night without zombies, skeletons, spiders, or creepers, but an ogre can come and physically cause all your stuff to disappear. I also figured if this is what I can expect, and I want to do undersea stuff, then I need to just keep rerunning worldgen until I'm near an ocean at the start. Otherwise, running around finding an ocean would mean having all the advanced stuff done in a place I didn't even want to be.

I've heard a zombie moan underground, and I did find a spider above ground. I even found a spider dungeon while digging, but otherwise the standard cast of baddies are just outright missing. Instead, I have lions, tigers, bears, and random golems turning me into a bloody paste every 40 blocks or so. I walked up to a tree, started randomly taking damage, and I found a ghost-thing setting me on fire. Hell, Hexxit Rocko would have been at home here! I think I took damage from a butterfly. In the new spawn, I found the ocean and then got killed by a black dog that screamed like a lion. My body fell through two holes and I lost all my stuff to God-knows-where. So I made a beeline for some remote island I saw, with a handful of seeds, wood, and saplings, and just roughed it out there. How I didn't get killed by poo poo in the ocean is beyond me, because sharks keep trying to beach themselves on that little island to get me.

Eventually I got to some still lava so I could build the world's saddest Tinker's Construct smeltery. Instead of using my copper to make wiring, I ended up turning most of it into bronze so I could encase myself in something that would protect me from berserk, wild butterflies. I guess now I have a sufficient field kit to actually go back to the mainland and find some of this rubber I read about. I'm guessing I'll have to turn on Peaceful mode for doing the undersea dome because now there are crazy animals that want to kill me down there too. Hell, there was a dolphin that was a little too cozy to me for what I expected. Do those things kill you too?

The lack of zombies is kind of confusing to me, and also depriving me of a leather source. So far I have found no way to furnish backpacks, nor anything to facilitate water breathing. On the other hand, my little island respite would be a Hobbit's paradise or something. It's just a dirt mound hut covered in blackberries with some rather intensive crop and tree farming all around it.

So I finally get to look up and it seems like I'm in a position to make Baby's First Turtle. I have a few pieces of redstone, lots of stone I can burn back into regular rocks, and enough sand to make some glass. Generally, am I set? Is there anything I should be trying to do?

I had some questions I decided to tack on the post. For the map, is there any map setting that lets me scroll around in the larger map view? Also, is there any way to get an impression of ocean depth? When I ran Hexxit with a texture pack, it made the water clear, and that had the effect of giving me a topographical map of the ocean floor. I am trying to survey a site for an undersea dome.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 27, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What will happen if I delete Mo' Creatures mid-game here? I might have a hide or two from one of these random animals.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
So I moved the Mo Creatures .zip out of my NST mods folder, and now I have no sound or music at all. Is this just some passing glitch? That's what it sounds like from online.

Edit: Eww in the log I see nothing about missing .ogg files and it looks like OpenAL started up fine. I am confused.

Edit Edit: Oh thank God on the 2nd restart of the launcher it got working again. My wife just discovered the Tila Tequila completely batshit insane Youtube videos, and I had to overhear stuff about chessboards and reprogramming the matrix and poo poo. Now I need to figure out a thing I can build that just makes lots of noise or something.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 28, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Last night I managed to start playing with ComputerCraft once I got sound working again. I don't know if I really understand what all it can do, or how I should be generally approaching it other than playing with turtles. I finally realized that the turtles are kind of a homage to turtles in Logo. I don't know if I understand the role(s) of stationary computers with monitors and a hard disk. That being said, the first thing I actually did was bring up a stationary, advanced computer to strobe a pour signal to a smeltery casting basin. Are computers kind of like having a microcontroller?

I wanted to get more sand, gravel, and clay, so I was thinking the first turtle I run would be something to just dig that out. How sophisticated can you get with situational awareness with turtles? Can they get full x, y, z awareness built-in? It makes it kind of tough if that cannot be acquired so distinctly. I see something about a GPS API that I guess I'll have to try out, but can a turtle with a modem also dig?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mechaet posted:

You'll need a GPS setup to give the turtle full positional awareness. Wireless Mining Turtles have a modem and can dig.
Do you have an impression of a consistent source for Ender Pearls in Never Stop Toasting? I guess I'll have to load up on them.

I'm reading that height and distance have major impacts on how well GPS and wireless will perform. I'm assuming I could make a series of radio towers eventually at ~150 block distances with GPS emitters at varying heights. I guess this all is pretty fun, but getting the materials is a bit of work.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sunblood posted:

Minium Stone + 4 Iron Ingots is a much, much easier way of acquiring ender pearls.

It looks like I have some work cut out for me either way. The crops are probably the sustainable way of getting ender pearls but the minium stone will probably be the first way I'll actually manage to get one.

With Mo' Creatures removed from my local NST copy, do I need to tune anything to bring back the regular aggressive mobs? It's been surprisingly tame everywhere I have been going. Maybe I need to take a boat off my island and sit around until dark.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Pidmon posted:

Yeah, good call, I'm farting around in Hexxit at the moment. Kind of miss tech already but at least I've got Tinkers. Might see if I've got access to liquid storage.

I never found an option for liquid storage for the smeltery in Hexxit. I'd see all this stuff online people would do for that, but I ended up just having a surplus of tables holding a few nuggets short of an ingot.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

MechaCrash posted:

Can't you store liquids in TC Seared Tanks? Although then, I guess the tricky part becomes getting it out of the tanks.

Yeah I heard something about that, and that was about as far as I got with it. I heard something about being able to use buckets, but that didn't work out. I guess what that mod needs is a nugget cast or something like that. I couldn't make that work in Hexxit, although it was getting bandied around to have that in TC generally. I don't know if the author(s) were even involved in that discussion. The modding scene confuses me. :p

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Walliard posted:

Seared Faucets can extract from Seared Glass/Windows or any other form of liquid storage.
Is there anything in TC to be able to redirect and reuse odd amounts of liquids? I think that's the problem for using it in Hexxit. You can dump it out but unless you can get it into a whole number form that solidifies, there isn't any way to put that all back in. It looks like the tech mods all have answers to that but there isn't anything else for piping liquids in Hexxit.

Never Stop Toasting: Trip Report 2

Last night I felt like I got to be a heroic IT guy or something. I was running around setting up towers to hold GPS hosts. I had a pair of hosts around 14 blocks away from each other right over my Hobbit hole base, another tower with one a good 100x100 away at roughly the same height, and then another one -100x100 away, and up on a higher hill to get that one machine that's outside the xz plane of the others. I go back to my base and try to get the location on a test computer, and discover that it can only find the pair right overhead. So I ended up building up that tower even more to put in a second pair orthogonal to the first pair, and then I finally got a correct position.

I guess I have some ComputerCraft questions:
1. What kind of range can I normally expect with these ComputerCraft wireless modems? I had read something about a range of 300, which would have been within bounds of all these towers. I should note that there wasn't a thunderstorm going on either. I'm kind of sad those two other towers outside my base couldn't get picked up.
2. Do I need to place the computers higher? The lower towers go up to Y=100, and the higher towers go up to Y=120. They are unobstructed to each other, in a lower, coastal area. I have a floating island close enough over head that it drops slimes on my little island. I had pondered building up a dirt tower so I could through a GPS host on the bottom of the floating island.
3. Does GPS screw up under water? I want the assistance of GPS in trying to get some turtles to build me some domes. In the short term, I just want to send some turtles along the coast to pick me up some sand, clay, and gravel. I don't want to set that all up and find out they all gently caress up under water.

Some general questions:
1. I was hoping to set up some farming on that island ~100x100 away. It's much larger; it might even be the mainland at that point. I would have gone there originally but there were ghosts and golems from the Mo' Creatures mod that killed me from line of sight alone. Now that I deleted that drat thing, it's actually habitable over there. If I'm at my original island, can I expect crop growth and turtles to run like normal from that far away? I never really got into industrial stuff before in Minecraft so I don't know how chunks related to all these tools and toys. I just know when I go out waaay far away for days, nothing happened back at base.
2. Is there some information on how to use the Digital Miner that isn't just all 30 minute YouTube videos where it's already built? Seriously, how the hell did anybody ever figure out how to construct the thing? All I know right now is I think I need four diamonds. I have three, and I'm tempted to just make a diamond pick and give it to a turtle.
3. Are there any better recourse to operating underwater than the modifiers in Artifice? I've heard mention the modular powersuits can help but I couldn't find any components in their documentation that implied anything underwater.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I can be more definitive because I remembered I was writing down all these coordinates:

Home base Hobbit hole has four stations now, which is what it took to work at all:
First rung
-300, 100, 469
-288, 100, 469

Second rung
-293, 112, 474
-293, 112, 464 (Not sure exactly of z coordinate since this one I didn't completely write down)

The island I want to use for farming:
-430, 100, 392

The hill station I created near my spawn, which was a big lake of sludge, by the way. That just started the indignities. I spawn in a pile of sludge and immediately start dying. Then Mo' Creatures crap kept hunting me down. Anyways...
-110, 147, 219

The test computer was at approximate the hobbit hole, deeper down. Something like -290, 64, 465

For GPS calculation, what is minRange and maxRange? In terms of x-z distance, the worst-case distance from my hobbit hole island to that farming island, given those coordinates, is roughly 170. So I'm just out of range. The hill station is even further, even just from inspection. I can't ever even see that location from my hobbit hole island. I see that railcraft has a chunkloader, so I guess I should work towards that. I'm not playing on a server, so I don't have to really worry about bad citizenship. Of course the world anchor needs ender pearls. What the hell is up with ender pearls? Is that the implicit currency of Minecraft? I got the Minuim Stone and I feel like I've just been blasting through iron turning them into ender pearls. I think I have to build this farm pretty much just to farm the things.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there a smoother process for trying Lua scripts in ComputerCraft inside NST without having to shoehorn the script into its archive file? I see that it chokes up and crashes if you try to insert a newer file in while everything is running, which means having to restart Minecraft every time I have a syntax error.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mechaet posted:

You should use pastebin and the HTTP API.
I could see that working, but that kind of offends my sensibilities. In order to easily insert a script inside a computer inside my computer, I have to send it halfway across the planet. I guess presumably I could just have a little mini server up when I'm doing this and try to do GETs to localhost.

More Never Stop Toasting Trip Reports:
Since I'm still short on diamonds, obsidian, and backup materials for converting to them with a Minium Stone, I tried out this mining script last night. The little thing immediately started digging down and disappeared. That is how it works, but I was terrified it dropped dead down there and I'd never see it again. So I dug a side shaft to keep an eye on it. I wind up in a completely new cavern to me, with monsters all over the place. A big fight ensues, and then when the smoke clears, I can here the <thunk> <thunk> <thunk> of blocks being mined. I turn around and for a moment in the dark corner, I see the little guy passing by, banging away. :wave:

It emerged with all kinds of stuff, but never coal, obsidian or diamonds. The patch where it was playing looks to have been lava-free so I guess that scratches obsidian. It was an 8x8 square so it's possible diamonds wouldn't be there. I also recollected the turtle at the end without looking at its inventory, and it vomited a bunch of stuff down into the huge hole it had made. By the time I figured out that stuff might have been important, I think the despawn timer had triggered.

One issue was the amount of cobblestone I got. The script looks at whatever is in the inventory at the start, and ignores that while digging. I think it is ignoring most cobblestone, but it still comes up with a few stacks. I'm just assuming that's the cost of doing business; it does still mine the sequence it needs to check every block, and that means hitting some stone. But still, are there any other blocks that turn to regular cobblestone when mined? It looks like I need to add marble and basalt to the ignore list because it's dragging up tons of that too.

Right now I'm swimming in copper. Is that a material that is often in short supply with industrial mods? I'm assuming the main problem is 4 mods contribute copper, and together I get their sum. I think my ratio of copper to iron, for example, is 5:1. Tin is a close second in abundance. I'm pondering doubling or tripling the diamond rate, because so much stuff needs that and it looks like that's still at the traditional spawn rate. I think I've only seen three of them naturally so far.

I'm pondering converting some gold to diamonds to I can make more diamond picks, and get four of these miners going at once in a grid. That's assuming I can keep them well-fed. In that regard, how do people generally use them for tree farming for charcoal? Does TreeCapitator work with turtles? I also wonder about rubber. What I had read was that they produce some sap on the sides and that's what you have to tap, but I don't see anything unique on the ones I have run into the wild, nor the ones I have planted.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Thanks everybody. I may try that other script tonight, but first I suspect I will have to recover the turtle that was running the other program when I shut down for the day. Now it's probably in the middle of that 8x8x50 region it was digging up.

I didn't realize I was dealing with different rubber trees. Hoooo boy. :p

I made sure to use smooth stone when instruction the miner what blocks to ignore. I guess what it produces was just from the mechanics of what it was running.

At this point I have a double chest of cobblestone, with more to come. Are there any clever uses for it? I'm pondering just expanding out the little island I'm on and landfilling, but I'm wondering if there are any conversions I should be investigating to help me out here.

My goal is to build my undersea dome and then trying most of the cool stuff. I was hoping I didn't end up cramming all the cool stuff into this cramped space just to be able to build the dome. :(

Edit: I guess I should pay more attention to equivalent exchange and what I'm doing there. There at last something I can do with cobblestone with that.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 30, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sage Grimm posted:

Ha, so you found the cobblestone/dirt -> gravel -> clay -> clay block -> iron -> gold -> diamond EE crafting line, eh?

1 diamond requires
8 * 4^5 cobblestone/dirt

for a grand total of 8 192 blocks.

Yeah I looked at that and it looks like your math is correct. That's 128 full inventory slots of cobblestones, but I guess with a cobblestone generator I could get by. Beyond that is the Minium Stones that I'd have to use. IIRC they are good for something like 1,500 operations, so I suspect I'd need maybe 6 of them. I don't know of a method of generating a bunch of those yet. I think I need to rethink this. :p

(I should just increase the diamond rate in the config because I really don't have the time for this)

Khorne posted:

The other option is to setup a little repository of your own and create an auto update script. I use this php script and this loader script. The php script's sanitize function is likely not safe for public use or across operating systems.

I found within Python it's pretty easy to start up a dumb HTTP server in a directory, so I think I'll run that out of the source project directory of the editor I'm using. It looks like you got all the code for actually moving the stuff down, so I can work with that. Thanks!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mechaet posted:

I just wanted to say thanks for sharing with us your trip reports, I find them very helpful to my efforts to make something fun. I agree with you on the ore gen rates and multiplicity of some of the ores; I hadn't discovered how to use the CoFH worldgen options when I built the pack, but today if I were to do it again there'd be some pretty massive ore spawn changes.
I figured it was an easy way to explain the context of what I was doing and where I am having questions or problems. I had forgotten you were the one actually making the pack!

I've been talking about upping the diamond rate without necessarily knowing how to even do that, so I may be setting myself up here. I think it may be fair for me to just turn on cheat mode for a second in NEI and just give myself some of the stuff I obviously need for my scheming. There's probably no real reason for me to get frustrated about resources playing solo like that.

Actually there's a question right there: Is there a consistent way to ALT-TAB out and keep the game running? I noticed it likes to pause the game when I do that.

I'm thinking if I'm not playing on a server, where a chunkloader could keep stuff going for days and days and days--possibly forever for farming--then there's probably not much point in me getting into that process too much. I'm actually doing most of this to play with automation, but after proving the point I might as well just jump into cheat mode and gift myself some materials.

Sage Grimm posted:

Well if you decide to go the way I did turtles don't damage Minium Stones when they use them in crafts. That's pretty much the only advantage you gain; Turtles can only craft one item at a time with them because...I honestly don't know. And I'm also certain you have to make them drop the result too or the next craft will fail to produce anything since it's affecting the crafting grid.

I started it with the end result being clay because I had a project requiring a large number of bricks. The turtle setup did keep a steady stream coming in (lot faster than ordering a set made via my auto-craft setup!) but then I was only needing 16 blocks per result. The turtles required to get back to that speed in producing diamond would grow exponentially, just like the amount you need!

It's a fun widget to play with but it isn't a good way to get diamonds, definitely.

Well I dunno. Maybe I'll play with it now. :p I need to build up my smeltery more to crank out the cleared glass I want to use for a dome. My plan is to still write a little undersea digging script for a turtle to pull out some sand, clay, gravel, and dirt from the ground in a large area. And I have always wanted to do a cobblestone farm because it seemed like the dumbest idea in the world. At least I wanted to try the crafting turtle generally.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sage Grimm posted:

I typically just hit E to bring up my inventory screen and then alt-tab out if I want to keep it running in the background for a while.
Hmm you know I think I remember that being a thing. I will have to try that tonight, and then maybe try that fullscreen mod if that fails.

I mentioned trying to make a cobblestone generator for giggles. The Gamepedia Minecraft Wiki gives me some ideas with pistons and all using conventional Minecraft blocks. Do any mods have any clever ways of doing it faster or more compactly? I assuming to just have a row these things with pistons and all, making GBS threads out cobblestone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Khorne posted:

Thermal Expansion has the Igneous Extruder. It just auto generates cobblestone if you put a bucket of lava and a bucket of water in it.

There's also ways to break blocks with mods so you can do a vanilla setup without pistons and with a thing breaking the cobblestone, and there are even ways to automine.

The Igneous Extruder is probably the best for doing it compactly that I can see. Is there something I can do for obsidian? I see with equivalent exchange that is a shorter path to diamonds. I see the extruder can handle that too, but it will actually consume material for that. I see there's the magma tesseract, which I had been tracking down for a long time, so I assume I can feed that in to one. I guess the aqueous accumulator will take care of the water. I guess I'll have to see it in creative mode.

• Locked thread