Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Any idea why my AE networks keep breaking? It seems like the ME cables won't hook up to the ones already placed down. I can break them all and replace them and it will work, but when I relog it breaks again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Thanks for the reality check, folks.

I guess I just got so worried about dumbing things down for the type of people who'd skip that stuff that I got preoccupied thinking they were the target audience. But they're everywhere and there's probably nothing I could do to stop them. No matter how simple I made it they'd end up blasting through it one way or another, so best to just build for people who'll actually appreciate the map. Like you guys said, those are the people who I should be building this map for. It is a challenge map after all.
The problem with books is there's nothing interesting about them. What you need to do is trick people into reading by making them think reading is fun. For example, instead of just having a book in a chest, you could have a computer craft monitor that talks to the player in the world. It doesn't pull the player out of the world like a book does, and it doesn't look like a 4th wall game message like chat text does. It's also easier to follow than a bunch of signs next to each other.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Taffer posted:

I'm going to run a server once TE updates, based on this modpack, sans project red and EnderIO (it's a good mod, but redundant with TE). If anybody has any suggestions, shoot them my way, trying to get everything working smoothly beforehand so it'll be a quick turnaround with the TE update.

In the yogscast moonquest series they have a really cool biome pack going on. Specifically, the mountains actually look like they're mountains that go up really high. It's much more interesting than the vanilla biomes.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Rutibex posted:

I think the problem is the whole "machine building automation" game has gone as far as it will go. Once you have a way to automatically make every Minecraft resource you're pretty much done. Now they are resorting to creating needs for the express purpose of having something else to automate. Rolling plates annoying? Well it can be just as easy as old IC2 it just takes a few more steps!

In theory it could be a neat way of extending the whole machine base building game; but it feels so forced and artificial it's hard to bother. It's not like building a milking machine or a darkroom, where your taking mod parts and using them in an inventive way to exploit vanilla mechanics. Your building systems to solve problems that where created by the mod in the first place.

Exactly. There's so much energy put into making a better furnace that mods aren't even about removing the tedious things in minecraft anymore.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
An engine that actually uses any of the worthless buildcraft oil that spawns everywhere and isn't a pain in the rear end to maintain.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
This is why should just bring back EE, still the best system.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Not having to deal with anything forestry is always a plus.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

New Leaf posted:

I found a new group of friends to play Minecraft with and we've done the vanilla thing for a little while now. It's time for mods. I've tinkered with stuff- mostly the minimap mods- but never anything too advanced. I love the Yogscast videos and recommended a few mods for them to start with, but can anyone just toss me a few simple mod ideas for us to cut our teeth on?

Edit: And I mean really simple. I don't want a full Tekkit assembly line here, or anything I need to keep a wiki open to understand, just a few things to keep the game interesting. New mobs and gear and such is a plus.

Biomes o Plenty is like playing minecraft2. It adds a lot of interesting overworld to explore, where as with vanilla you see the 4 or 5 built in biomes and are done moving around for good.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Taffer posted:

I feel like kind of a jerk for constantly linking this, but people keep asking, so.... Yes. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3583789

Don't feel bad. It's an active server and starting to get pretty interesting. I think the lag comes from Twilight Forest, but it's not really often enough to matter.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Clairetic posted:

For those who haven't checked out Opis yet and can stand Direwolf20:

[video type="youtube"]ir-qsafyH8w[video]

It's good to see the most inefficient machine is some forestry block that's not doing anything.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I finished my road this morning! Actually one of the more satisfying things I've done in minecraft.

Start at this cool helix tower that I did not build.

I tried to put little shelters like this along the road so people had a bed and food.

I made a road up to glider point in case people didn't feel like taking the boring trek over the ocean.

These trees make nice bases

And finally you end up at this hermit goon base.

Here's the dynmap you can easily see the road from space.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I think it's an MFR laser drill.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Of course the new te would come out when im stuck at work until 7.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Railcraft, forestry, and yes thaumcraft seem like huge unfun timesinks to me. I can kind of understand why people enjoy thaumcraft, it's well designed and easy on the eyes, but I personally don't find all the effort you need to put in to be worth it. Railcraft and forestry are just pointless as there are too many other mods that do what they do better.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Is there an easy way to get minefactory reloaded to work with natura in 1.64?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Serifina posted:

Make sure both are fully updated, and you won't get crashes. mDiyo isn't working on Natura anymore, seeing it as "complete", so it only gets bugfixes now. One of those bugfixes was to pull MFR support out when it get updated for 1.6.4, instead of updating the MFR API. As far as I know, no mod currently exists to make them work together.

Oh, were they crashing with each other? That kind of sucks, but I guess I can deal with it.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I kind of hate myself for enjoying lovely mod drama as much as I do. I'd love to see a new official Tekkit pack come out that just doesn't give a gently caress now. Must have game breaking EE2 mechanics in it.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Yogscast made youtube videos about tekkit instead of videos about IC2EEBCRedpoweretc. So a bunch of people got mad.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Serifina posted:

Railcraft is basically the go-to minecart mod.

Which is probably why I've never touched minecarts in any mod pack, pretty much ever. Railcraft has always been an extremely tedious mod to me that I've never found fun.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I'm putting together a modpack for myself and a couple of friends. Below is a list of what I've got working together so far, but I'm wondering a few things:
  • Are there any quality of life mods I might be missing? For example:I really like PiP (picture in picture) as it will let us see what each other is doing; I also find the journey map to be really rad with it's web integration. I'd like to add more client side stuff like this if it's out there.
  • Any recommendations for small little one offs in the same vein as Tall Doors? I'd like to put in more unique light weight mods like that.
  • Has anyone ever used Localized Weather & Stormfronts? It looks awesome, but I worry it would kill frame rates.
  • I'm not sure what to do about monster mods. Ideally I think it'd be cool to have some deadly bosses that require an ICBM nuke, but I'd rather hunt them than having them show up to the front door of the base.

Baubles-1.7.10-1.0.1.10.jar
betterrain-1.7.2-1.7.10_0.15-core.jar
betterrain-1.7.2-1.7.10_0.15.jar
BigReactors-0.4.0A.jar
BiomesOPlenty-1.7.10-2.1.0.1004-universal.jar
BloodMagic-1.7.10-1.3.0Beta-6.jar
Botania r1.5-168.jar
buildcraft-6.4.2.jar
Chisel-1.7.10-1.5.7.jar
CodeChickenCore-1.7.10-1.0.4.29-universal.jar
CoFHCore-[1.7.10]3.0.0RC3-203.jar
CoFHLib-[1.7.10]1.0.0RC3-120.jar
connectedglass-59.0.2.jar
CoroUtil-1.1.1.jar
denseores-1.5.jar
EnderIO-1.7.10-2.2.5.311.jar
Ex-Nihilo-1.37.jar
ExtraTiC-1.7.10-1.0.3.jar
extrautilities-1.2.2.jar
GraveStone-2.11.3.jar
Hats-4.0.1.jar
iChunUtil-4.0.0.jar
immibis-core-59.0.7.jar
immibis-microblocks-59.0.5.jar
InfiniBows-1.7.10-universal-coremod-1.3.0.20.jar
InventoryTweaks-1.59-dev-152.jar
ironchest-1.7.10-6.0.60.741-universal.jar
Jabba-1.2.0_1.7.10.jar
JourneyMap5.0.1_Unlimited_MC1.7.10.jar
LootBags-1.7.10-1.5.2.jar
magicalcrops-1.7.10_0.1.jar
Mantle-1.7.10-0.3.2.jar
Mekanism-1.7.10-7.1.1.127.jar
MekanismGenerators-1.7.10-7.1.1.127.jar
MekanismTools-1.7.10-7.1.1.127.jar
Metallurgy-1.7.10-4.0.6.80.jar
MetallurgyCore-1.7.10-4.0.4.18.jar
MineFactoryReloaded-[1.7.10]2.8.0RC7-71.jar
MobAmputation-4.0.0.jar
Morpheus-1.7.10-1.5.26.jar
neiaddons-mc1710-1.12.2.9.jar
NEIIntegration-MC1.7.10-1.0.3.jar
NetherOres-[1.7.10]2.3.0RC4-4.jar
NotEnoughCodecs-1.7.10-0.3-snapshot-11.jar
NotEnoughItems-1.7.10-1.0.3.73-universal.jar
NotEnoughKeys-1.7.10-1.0.0b29.jar
ObsidiPlates-1.7.10-universal-3.0.0.18.jar
OpenBlocks-1.7.10-1.3.jar
OpenModsLib-1.7.10-0.6.jar
PiP-4.0.0.jar
redlogic-59.1.9.jar
roadblock-1.7.10-2.1.5.jar
TallDoors-1.7.10-0.5.2.jar
TConstruct-1.7.10-1.8.2a.jar
ThermalDynamics-[1.7.10]1.0.0RC3-90.jar
ThermalExpansion-[1.7.10]4.0.0RC3-132.jar
ThermalFoundation-[1.7.10]1.0.0RC4-58.jar
ThermalSmeltery-1.7.10-1.1.1.jar
tubestuff-59.0.3.jar
twilightforest-1.7.10-2.3.1.jar
Waila-1.5.6a_1.7.10.jar
WailaHarvestability-mc1.7.x-1.1.0.jar
[1.7.10]DamageIndicatorsMod-3.2.3.jar

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I just finished setting up my server last night so I can help answer some of these!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Which of these mods are client-side-only?

Not Enough Items
Waila
Waila Harvestability
Waila Plugins
Damage Indicators
Inventory Tweaks
Mouse Tweaks
I'm not sure about mouse tweaks, but everthing else is client side only. In fact my server wouldn't even start if I had those jars in the mod folder.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How can do I do a standalone test of a client mod pack? All the videos I see are "and now you upload to technic!" I was hoping I could just do a local test.
Two ways I went about this. The first was using python and setting up a simple webserver on my machine
code:
python -m http.server
That's run out of the same directory as your mod pack, and it's for python 3. Python 2 is python -m SimpleHTTPServer. You'd have to do some port forwarding to get this work on a home network probably, but you'll basically just be downloading the server pack from yourself.

What's a lot easier is just installing vanilla minecraft on the launcher, then going to the launcher folder and pasting all your mod jars and config files over the vanilla install.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
What do they add? Our server seems to run fine without them.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Given how I write software for a living and a hobby, I feel conflicted in complaining about the mods that require framework mods from the same developer--particularly when that developer only has one mod. I mean, good for them for trying to abstract some stuff, but what's the point? Visions of a mod ecosystem?

I just got grouchy about it last night when I was trying to start up a server with mods I was setting up, only to get thwarted because I kept missing some dude's framework mod that never gets mentioned.

Are you using this page? http://modlist.mcf.li/ It lists all the dependencies in orange.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
in the past 2 weeks ive been trying out all 3 launchers. AT is painfully slow and I wont be using it anymore. FTB isnt terrible, but I don't like the hypocrites who run it. Im currently using technic as it was easiest to set up a mod pack for. It's also super easy to get it working for all my friends, and I just think it looks the best.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
That sounds like forge isn't loading at all. The same thing will happen in technic if you dont rename the forge jar place it in the bin folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I left thaumcraft out of my private pack. I leveled it all the way up once, and it was neat, but it was such a deep rabbit hole that I didnt use anything else. I also felt like it worked the server way too hard.

• Locked thread