Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

metasynthetic posted:

I have some ideas on extending the functionality beyond simple barriers, but one step at a time.

Do one that teleports trespassers, and do a deliberately-faulty teleport one that duplicates trespassers, drawing a big power surge. Duplicating entities in exchange for power sounds pretty cool, although dunno how you'd deal with players (named zombie?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Minecraft was mentioned in an opinion piece in The Guardian today. The main thrust of the article appears to be the beneficial effect it has for helping autistic kids express themselves, although modding got mentioned in the comments section.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Serifina posted:

Of course, it gets more dangerous if you have Mek (more skeles and zombies with armor and weapons)

Speaking of which, is there any way to stop mekanism from spawning armoured zombies? It doesn't add anything to the gameplay, it's just annoying as poo poo. Especially because helmeted ones don't die in sunlight!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mechaet posted:

I think, secretly, Calclavia wishes no one would ever use UE. Thankfully the part I wanted out of it (Mekanism) has gotten tired of his poo poo and moved to his own hosting ( http://aidancbrady.com/mekanism/ ).

Oh, cool, I was hoping to find out how the hell to use the Digital Miner without having to watch twenty minutes of youtube, so this is great timing!

Let me just check the wiki:

quote:

Digital Miner

the Digital Miner is a "Magical" mining machine that needs to be powered, it can search blocks that the player want it to mine in a 32 block radius at max at the same time it can also replace those mined blocks if the player wishes to do so. it can also automatically output its mined materials to a nearby inventory found in front of this machine or use its internal item buffer.

:negative:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Thanks for the digiminer help, all. Managed to mine around 4000 blocks at x9 speed before realizing that maybe energy upgrades make it more efficient and don't just increase the internal reservoir size :shepface:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Never Stop Toasting trip report here.

Go to C:\Users\*Rocko Bonaparte*\AppData\Roaming\.technic\modpacks\never-stop-toasting-16\mods and delete the zip file of Mo' Creatures. I believe it is a poo poo mod for garbage people and you will have much more fun without it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Items will vanish. You'll get a screen on startup saying "jesus look all these IDs are missing!!" but so long as you've not, like, fashioned them into blocks and made your sole shelter out of them amidst a sea of creepers, you'll be fine.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Use the magma crucible from Thermal Expansion to melt down netherrack. It costs less energy to melt netherrack than you get back by pumping the resultant lava into magmatic dynamos, so you can siphon off the excess for use in obsidification.

e: I mean, magma pump + tesseract is probably better, but the above is simpler if you want to deal with fewer new mod concepts at once.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I placed a digital miner down so that the 3x3 thing it unfolds into would connect to an energy conduit. Naturally this crashes my game and when I respawn I'm under the bedrock layer and fall into the void and die.

Luckily I can't really say I've lost anything because I'm still in cheat mode to recreate all the stuff I had on my previous world, which was rendered unloadable by, uh, accidentally de-constructing a digital miner. I'm starting to see a trend here :saddowns:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I want to hit the MFR guy with a newspaper. How did he think that using pink slime for the laser drill precharger was a good idea.

What modpack are you playing? A good number of them have the different slimes be interchangable through shapeless crafting - NST definitely does.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Use Big Reactors if you want to make a... big reactor. You can optimise it for fuel efficiency or for raw output and it's rad as hell. Big initial outlay, practically no upkeep once you have a mining operation on the go.

You can also wire them to turn themselves on and off as needed, really simply. They're great.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

ok how do you hook anything up in NST 1.6 or anything else for that matter? My quarry halted due to oil filling up the hole, so I decided to build a buildcraft refinery and start making fuel out of it. Three stirling engines kind of had it going slow, so I tried to drop down my redstone energy cell. The thing is completely full. It's set to no input, and full output. I have a redstone energy conduit link connecting that cell to the refinery. The cell refuses to do anything! I have a crescent wrench or whatever TE's magic wrench is and looked into changing pipe directions or whatever. I didn't see anything indicating a direction; either it connected or it didn't. So how do I remedy this?

After I ran it awhile, I got a full tank of fuel in the refinery's internal reservoir. I built three tanks and tried to get that fuel out into the tanks. Nothing will budge. I tried wooden transport pipes, but they don't connect to the tank. I switched to wooden fluid pipe and that connected together, but nothing flows. I thought that maybe I need a pump, so I put a redstone energy pump under the pipe where it meets with the tank. All that gives me is a pissed off pump that starts turning all kinds of colors. All the video tutorials online are like, "And this is the fuel tank, which you can connect to whatever you want [end of story]." Not useful. How do I get this stuff moving?!

Post pics of what you're doing, it'll be more help and people can see stuff you've missed.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Take it a mod at a time. Your best bet is to start with Thermal Expansion to get ore processing online and to generally start spitting out power. Then go with whatever looks interesting.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

TheChad posted:

So, I built a steam engine, and it works (built it on top of an water pumping machine so it gets a steady stream and powers up. I also built a pulverizer and I'm a bit lost. How do I get power from the steam engine to the pulverizer? I placed it adjacent to the steam engine, did I screw up? How do I move it?

Game is hard. :D

edit: What? Both the pulverizer and Steam Engine were from Thermal expansion. They aren't compatible?

edit: 2, yeah the steam engine says it outputs RF and the pulverizer takes in RF. I have no idea what RF is but I think it's compatible. I just don't don't know how to move the power from the steam engine to the pulverizer. Some sort of wire?

Conduit - either leadstone or redstone. Leadstone's easier, but funnels less power. RF is the Thermal Expansion power unit so yeah you're good.

Or get the big pointy part of the dynamo pointing at the pulveriser. You can rotate TE stuff by right-clicking with a crescent hammer, or break the blocks by shift-right-clicking.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

RIP minecraft modding.

Hahaa

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Might want to try the astoundingly named legalnotices@pokemon.com address, too. I presume The Pokemon Company have copyright over, y'know, pokemon.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Learn Thermal Expansion ASAP for ore x2-ing and energy storage, then probably start farming stuff with MineFactory Reloaded.

Then, look into large scale energy production with a Big Reactor, figure out automining by running up the Mechanism tech tree to the Digital Miner, and after that you'll have shitloads of resources to just pick a mod at a time and explore it.

e: man your earlygame is way different to mine

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

If you have access to a Minium Stone in EE3 you can craft them out of iron.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Itemduct, hit with a wrench to make the blue arrow red, with a redstone signal provided (i.e a lever next to it).

Alternatively give your itemduct a pneumatic servo, that only takes a redstone, two iron, and two glass to craft and allows for finer control (e.g. grabbing whole stacks at once).

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

New question, I dismantled my volcano pump this morning, leaving about 45 buckets of lava in a BC tank. How do I actually get the lava out and into another machine (an igneous extruder for example, though more likely I'll do the extruder->crucible->extruder thing)? I tried fluiducts and wooden transport pipes; the former didn't transfer anything and the latter wouldn't attach to the tank at all.

Fluiducts need a) a redstone signal (e.g. lever), and b) need to be bonked with a wrench to get the red "output" arrow on the bit that connects to your source tank.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Flux/Minecraft Joules appear to be the standard, and TE power conduits will output flux or joules as appropriate. For example, you can bung a TE power cell next to a bunch of Mekanism stuff (which ostensibly has its own power system) and as long as you use conduits to connect with them it'll work fine. Same with Applied Energistics - it'll happily guzzle joules from conduits.

Also don't use buildcraft engines christ.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Assuming you use thermal expansion as a storage medium, and there ain't much competition, flux and MJ are functionally the same. Cells themselves can only feed flux to adjacent blocks, but pump a cell full of flux, conduits will let you take MJ out if necessary.

So yeah, should be fine (and the Big Reactors in NST produces flux, dunno about the one in Tekkit).

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Well, "r" shows you (r)ecipes to make an item, and "u" shows you (u)ses for that item. Like, smelting iron ore to make iron ingots would show up if you "r" an iron ingot, and iron + sticks = axe would show up if you pressed "u" on it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Erm. TE Steam Dynamos? Feed spare logs through a furnace, burn the resultant charcoal. Or burn the logs straight off if you can handle the inefficiency. Just make sure you hook them up to a perpetual water supply.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rutibex posted:

Ok I ended up adding a bunch of stuff to Agrarian Skys because it looked neat and I wanted to try it out too. I haven't played any of these 1.6.4 mods so it's all new and interesting to me. I have put up a pack on the platform if anyone else wants to try it out and/or avoid the FtB launcher. Once I finish my first play through I'll likely add some more quests with the extra mods:

Agrarian Skys+
http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/plus-red.7770

Map:
http://minecraft.curseforge.com/worlds/agrarian-skies-home-sweet-home-b/

Adds:
-Advanced Thaumaturgy
-Ars Magica 2
-Custom Stuff 2
-Custom NPCs
-Dimensional Doors
-Equivalent Exchange 3
-Minechem
-Xenos Reliquary
-Rings of Power
-Somnia
-Thaumcraft Extras
-Thaumcraft History
-Thaumic Tinkerer

:ohdear:please please don't probate me I promise I'm just trying to be helpful, this will be my only post about it honest!:ohdear:

I realise I'm probably missing something here, because whenever I generate a world my dude just falls through an endless void before dying. However, I prefer to think that Agrarian Skies is actually a massive joke being played on people.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jblade posted:

Is there a way to hide microblocks from NEI? I mean the ones you get by using a ProjectRed saw or whatever on blocks to get half-blocks .etc It's filled up half of the list and it's kinda annoying to scroll through.

Browse by mod (menu up top) and doubleclick whichever mod provides microblocks to turn it off.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Robhol posted:

Make shears ASAP

Do this with zombie mob drops, not by sifting gravel, at least to start with. The sword of splintering you get as a quest reward early on is actually terrifyingly efficient at carving through mobs once you've used it for a while, so you can just straight-up make a dark area with a single hole gap and slash things when you're not crooking leaves.

You could do a drop mob farm once you get more wood but someone else (who can get one working) can explain that.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Stone hammer seems to take pretty much exactly as long to break a cobblestone as lava takes to update. If you use this generator:

the next rock's ready for smashing almost as soon as you finish the first one. Unless I just got really lucky.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Yellow-orange-whatever is Round Robin, incidentally, and you can only have the first duct coming out of an output container set to it. Something that took annoying amounts of effort in IC2 comes as standard in TE3, which is nice.

So, salt in AS - how on earth do I make it without braving the nether? The mariculture manual doesn't mention it, unless I'm being dense, and I've got so much wheat that I now can't apparently easily turn into bread.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Try a steam dynamo. Same thing but better.

If you're set on the stirling engine, post a picture of your setup.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Water's perfectly fine as a coolant. Gelid Cryotheum and Ender juice just make the reactors even better.

You could also try lava.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Honestly going through all that code makes me want to get my own programming chops on. But there's already A Mod For Everything, so I'm a bit bereft of ideas :(

Make an attack helicopter mod, thanks.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Agrarian Skies, soul sand farming - dumping normal sand into witchwater. How do I get the drat stuff out of the barrels? I thought I could use itemducts - am I stuck using an autonomous activator for each one and a vacuum hopper?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Doy. Bottomducts worked fine, and had the added bonus that I have now started on underlevel infrastructure for my AS map.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Use Round Robin mode, dude. Whack the itemduct nearest the output with a wrench until it turns orange. It'll output to each valid exit in turn.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

So because all blocks are now viable spawns, it's very compact too.

Ok, context makes me ask - are conveyor belts not viable spawns, then?

If so, drat.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Alkydere posted:

It only takes tin+sulfur for fuel

Where'dja get renewable sulfur from? I know you can make netherrack by putting redstone in a barrel of lava, so I guess I could automate that and pulverise the resultant 'rack, but is there a better way?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Elswyyr posted:

I've gotten to a stage in AS where I've got metal production, automated ore generation, a monster grinder, and a few farming machines but not an actual farm. What's my next step? I need something called an Induction Furnace to make the different cables for the next quest in Learning To Skyblock, so I'm assuming getting that and expanding my power production is one thing. But what about all of the other chapters? When should I get started on those? I'm just a bit lost in the possibilities, especially because I haven't really used any of these mods before I played AS.

EDIT: Also, how would I go about making a dirt generator? Right now I'm making my dirt from leaf blocks, but I'm thinking there's probably a way to automate the leaf block gathering, or some other compostable material that is possible to automate.

The steel questline is really easy if you have a TC smelter up and running, and you need boatloads of steel to make a big reactor. You're going to want to get a way of renewably spawning blazes to generate enough yellorium to make and run the thing, too.

As mentioned above, easy dirt comes from sludge. Or, you can automate pumping leaves into barrels if you want more.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Agrarian Skies. I need diamonds. Lots of diamonds. Diamonds for advanced processors for my AE setup. Do I have options besides fish (eeearrrrgh), bees (eeearrrrgh), and sifting shitloads of gravel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I'll just come out and say it, the problematic mod is Iron Chests.

• Locked thread