Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Is there anything wrong with the Yogscast Complete pack? I'm thinking about switching to that since playing Agrarian Skies then going back to NST really makes me miss all the Ex Nihilo mods and some of the quality of life mods that AS has. I think the Yogscast pack integrates all that stuff, but I don't here anyone talking about it pretty much ever.
My girlfriend's been playing it a lot and my only complaint would be that there's a few mods in there that can really kill performance if you're unlucky, mainly DartCraft and Chocolate Quest

Also load times and RAM requirement are pretty bad because of the amount of mods in there

edit: One more complaint actually: I don't get the appeal of Metallurgy in the first place, but Metallurgy and Ex Nihlo is an awful combo unless you really enjoy making sorting systems

Threep fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

So it looks like the MFR weird stoppage issue seems to be when I go to the nether, so going to try leaving a chunkloader at my base to test out if that fixes it. It's an alpha for 1.7.10 so not surprised if there's any weird issues like that, to be honest.
I've had it happen multiple times on servers running the 1.6.4 version, and once it happened to every single MFR machine but not to anything else, so it's not an alpha issue. It does seem to be related to chunks loading/unloading though.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

So with NEI in 1.7 I can't just type "thermal" in the search bar and have all the thermal expansion items show up like I could in 1.6.4, I have to type "@mod.thermal expansion" which is really dumb. Is there a way to fix this?
I believe it's actually Waila that lets you do that

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

I've seen JourneyMap recommended a lot here recently but it seems to make the game practically unplayable for me.

I'm on latest Java 8 and running the game with a 4gb memory limit, and in casual play Minecraft is sitting steady at about 2.5gb-3gb used. As soon as I add JourneyMap, it starts leaking memory like crazy unless I'm standing perfectly still, triggering full garbage collection and making the game stutter.

The thing that confuses me the most here is that it does the exact same thing in a quickly thrown together 1.7.10 modpack and when added to (a trimmed down) 1.6.4 Yogcast Complete, on two different PCs, and yet no one else seems to be complaining about it.

Is there some magic Java switch / memory setting that makes the problem go away?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

fondue posted:

Minetweaker. You can change recipes, remove them, and add them. You can mess with furnace recipes, too. It's pretty slick!
Agrarian Skies actually uses MineTweaker for this so reverting it is just a matter of deleting the relevant lines from config\minetweaker\ThermalExpansion.cfg

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

JerikTelorian posted:

Thanks, this will help!

Regarding Turtles, can I get them to keep chunks active, or do I need to tail them to ensure they are happily chugging along?
There's a barely supported now mod called Misc Peripherals that adds a chunk loader upgrade but other than that the turtle could drop spot loaders on its own. The OpenComputers version of turtles (robots) have a chunk loader upgrade as well.

A related question: I've been messing a bunch with turtles and robots. Why do they both seem so intentionally crippled? For example there doesn't seem to be a way for a turtle program to figure out what an item in its inventory is without depositing in it a chest, getting the name, then retrieving it again, and robots don't even have that option. Similarly there's no way for a turtle to figure out what a block is unless they can use it as a peripheral, and robots can't even do that since they can't connect to peripherals.

Am I missing something here? Because it killed my interest in using either when I realised how hacky anything besides just using them for quarries would be.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

OpenComputers has a disassembler too, but in the default config it only works on things from that mod

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Cerepol posted:

I just found out that Roguelike dungeons very rarely has an Endermen room with endermen spawners. This is like the 10th dungeon I've completed and it's the first time I've seen it. So I can just pop that and make a powered spawner with Ender IO.
Depending on how new the included version of Ender IO is (it's a very recent feature) you can also use a Soul Jar to capture an Enderman. Then you you combine it with a lovely broken spawner in the Soul Binder to get a broken Enderman spawner and go from there.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Any way to extract fluids with whitelisting in 1.7.10, or any pipes that only extract if there's a valid destination?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

I feel like it should be pointed out that AE2 has a custom recipe feature so you don't even need MineTweaker to get rid of meteor hunting and world crafting. I'm not a fan of the meteor hunting but it's not like he forced people to adhere to "his vision".

edit: I'm bad at links

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My buddy was telling me they're actually going to open-source AE2. I'm not sure how he got that out of the announcement. Is there some more rumors floating around?
You could say that

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Speaking of AE I'm not sure if it got mentioned in here but one of the first things that happened after it was open sourced was Algo himself making channels a config option so now AE2 can be configured to work pretty much exactly like an improved AE1.

In similar news, I posted here a while back complaining that ComputerCraft turtles are useless for anything other than quarries and the clumsiest of automation - 1.7 actually lets turtles identify things both in the world and in its inventory making much smarter and more robust programs possible.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm about ready to quit Thaumcraft. It's an incredibly stylish mod, but apparently it's a great idea to give silverwood trees a .000001% spawn rate. I have never seen one. Ever. In three different worlds. I made a Botania Sojourner's Sash so that I can run 50% faster and auto-step up one-high blocks, and have run for thousands and thousands of blocks in all directions both in the overworld and in the twilight forest. I've seen three greatwood trees and zero silverwoods. I can't understand how people complain about AE2 meteors so much and not this.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there some sort of compass I can create or expensive recipe I can do to get silverwood without randomly finding one? I've heard I can trade for one from those merchant guys but I've never seen one of those either.
If you're running something like Biomes O'Plenty you're supposed to increase the chance of Magical Forest biomes in the config or you'll pretty much never see one

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

McFrugal posted:

The issue is that some command line parameters were removed for java 8, so you can't increase permgen size anymore like that. I don't know if there's even a possible workaround or if large modpacks are just going to have to use java 7 forever.
It's not related to that (Java 8 removed PermGen) and Java 8 works fine with up to date versions of Forge. The problem is that a Java 8 update fixed a bug/unintended behavior so now older versions of Forge (including all for 1.6.4) error out with Java 8 versions after update 11.

Someone wrote a fix for older versions of Forge, but running Java 8 update 11 is also a decent workaround if you play a lot of 1.6.4 modpacks.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

greententacle posted:

Which mod in Resonant Rise 3 adds the blood moon? I disabled infernal mobs, any other mods that add overpowered mobs that I can disable?
Blood Moon is from Random Things, living up to its name

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

I put this file in the OMP-i mods folder to try and get minefactory harvesters and planters to recognise magical crops and it doesn't work and I feel like a subhuman man-ape gazing up at incomprehensible technology :saddowns:
You need to make sure you're using the correct version for your Magical Crops. The last public release of Magical Crops is 3.2.0 which needs the mediafire link from the page you linked, while the file hosted there is for the Patreon beta.

Dunno-Lars posted:

You might want to add Minetweaker as well, and some custom recipes for AE2 stuff. I find the inscriber super frustrating to use, and use the following:
AE2 has had basic MineTweaker functionality built-in since the very early versions.

Threep fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 21, 2015

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I do wish that some other mod would do multiblock power storage. KingLeming, please make us RF equivalent of industrial molten salt batteries. Like gigantic multiblock energized redstone tanks. TIA.
Mek 8 added multiblock batteries. They're probably immensely frustrating to make though since that seems to be the theme for Mek 8.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Edminster posted:

alternatively, I would like just one single solitary zombie to drop a loving potato. just one, because that's all that is needed for breeding up mandrake seeds, which are necessary for the runic altar infusion for eggs.
I assume you're talking about Regrowth so.. make potato seeds?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Rocko or anyone else with experience with COFH ore generation, is there a way to do something similar to Custom Ore Gen's ore veins short of porting the code? Would love to switch because COG's annoying to work with but veins make mining more interesting.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

Taffer posted:

Unless you mean something different than I think, just crank up the numbers with normal gen, with fewer counts per chunk.
This is COG's version of veins:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I am responding in my mobile so I cannot easily site it, but among the new CoFH generators is a vein generator IIRC. There is also a fractal algorithm that I saw some people try to abuse.

https://cofh.github.io/mods/cofh-core/custom-world-generation.html
Thanks, I'll have a look. That documentation's a lot more complete than the official site that shows up before it on google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

InfiniteInvo just plain makes the player inventory bigger

• Locked thread