Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I figured this thread could use more borscht, so I made some myself.

The recipe was a mix of root vegetables, with beets, potatoes, onions, carrots, and radishes, along with cabbage, tomato paste, and some thick-cut double-smoked bacon. Spices were limited to dill, salt, and two bay leaves.

Preparation was to dice, shred, or slice everything into little pieces, fry up the bacon and the onions beforehand to really mix that flavor in, and then drop everything in a giant pot of water which was only barely big enough for all the vegetables; what you see there is only one of the four containers of leftovers that my friends and family couldn't polish off. On the plus side, I'm now set for meals for the rest of the week. The soup was left to boil for around 40 minutes until the potato pieces were soft. Bowls were served with a dollop of sour cream on top which really smoothed out the flavor.

Final thoughts: borscht stinks horribly, but it tastes pretty good. I wasn't too fond of the beets, though, and if I were to make it again I'd leave them out and add some ham instead (I realize this makes it something other than borscht, but that doesn't bother me one bit). On the other hand, radishes are surprisingly good stewed; the slices really absorbed the water around them and made them incredibly juicy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

:allears:
I want that borscht in my mouth. I love beets too, and that looks great.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I appreciate you satiating the borschtlust of the thread

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Borscht without beetroot is like a curry without the spice - its completely wrong and you're a bad person for even thinking about doing it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

IceAgeComing posted:

Borscht without beetroot is like a curry without the spice - its completely wrong and you're a bad person for even thinking about doing it.

Then I guess I'll just have tomato and ham soup with bacon, root vegetables, and cabbage instead. :colbert:

I dunno, it could be because I had to use canned beets. I wanted to use some jars of Manischewitz borscht I found at a grocery store, but they were completely out when it came time to make the stuff. I considered fresh beets, but they need boiling for a couple hours to soften properly and we were already running late.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
That is some sexy borscht :fap:

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
Hey yo instead of just dumping tasteless dumb awful sugar in your bolognese try some kind of fruit conserve, or barbecue and/or worcestershire sauce. Packed with sugar but will actually introduce some richness and flavour as well.

Chicken kiev because I want to see Mico put things inside breasts.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...so what kind of pasta was Mama boiling there? It looked more like ravioli than spaghetti.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?
I just caught up with the thread, and I want to see some Chicken Kiev being made, because I enjoy making it myself.

Also, I am jealous of your kitchen, Mico. Mine is small and cramped.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Killrrhubarb posted:

I just caught up with the thread, and I want to see some Chicken Kiev being made, because I enjoy making it myself.

Also, I am jealous of your kitchen, Mico. Mine is small and cramped.

Trust me, so is mine. I use good old fashioned hollywood magic (such as not showing the other side of my kitchen in which the rest of the counter space is taken up by a microwave with a toaster oven on top) to hide it.

Also I quit my second job because two jobs is hosed so uhh an update eventually maybe.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

I'm not going to bore you with the details but I currently have no job.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Be well.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Now that's good eatin'.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Now I'm hungry. Cook some frolf french.

....wait, you're not done, are you? :ohdear:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

If I'd known that was an option, I'd have been voting more.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Best of luck to you, Mico. Thank you for the LP, it was fun to watch.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
That's a hell of a borscht.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Missing Name posted:

....wait, you're not done, are you? :ohdear:

not quite

i have alot of free time suddenly so

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I take it CVS wasn't a great place to work?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
That's a lovely thing to have happen. Hope things look up for you.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Best of luck with the jobhunt, Mico, and gotta admit, that definitely counts as closure!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Best of luck, Mico. Thanks for putting up with terrible half-hearted video game recipes.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Sorry, Mico. We love you. Best of luck in the job hunt. You should go work for Walgreens and tell them all of CVS's secrets :ninja:

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Sorry, Mico. We love you. Best of luck in the job hunt. You should go work for Walgreens and tell them all of CVS's secrets :ninja:

I applied for ASM at Walgreens actually.

Hey if any of you work in the South Sacramento Walgreens district reach out to me and get me a job.

Also I'm making Samosas tonight but I'm not sure when the video will be up.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~
Like, from scratch? drat son.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
UPDATE: gently caress Phyllo dough this poo poo is super hard to work with.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Mico posted:

You aren't making the dough from maida flour? :colbert:

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Mico posted:

Phyllo dough is one of those things that while it's used in amazing delicious recipes I absolutely refuse to work with that demonic self-destructive substance. :argh:

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012

Mico posted:

Yes, yes it is. Phyllo is one of those things that, unless you've worked with it a whole lot, you need to get everything set up just right before getting to work with it, or you're in for a world of frustration.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Okay so you know how I always said I wasn't sure when this LP will end?

Now I know. I'm going back to school in the fall so wherever this LP is at in August, that's where we're stopping. I'm probably not gonna stop LPing all together but this one in particular is really time consuming.

The samosa videos are on my hard drive back at home and should be up by Friday assuming I can assemble some people for commentary.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Good luck with the school. :)

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Samosas

Recipe

Boil up some potatoes and brown some ground beef.
Add in the following spices:
1 teaspoon each of:
Turmeric
Curry Powder
Cumin
Salt
Pepper
Chili Powder
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Ginger (forgot to mention it in the video)
1 tablespoon of:
Cilantro

Mash it up, that's your filling.

You should probably NOT do what I do but I got some Safeway phyllo dough.
Take a pizza cutter to it and make a bunch of triangles.
Wet the edges of the dough and fold them around the filling into a dough triangle.

Set your deep friar to 400 degrees, and fry 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
If they float in the fryer, just flip em halfway through.

Remove to a paper towel and do the next batch. Repeat until done.

Samosas can be served cold (though I much prefer them warm) and are generally served with a Mint Chutney sauce but I just dip em in Sriracha because I'm a goony motherfucker.

Music

Mogwai - Does This Always Happen?
Yello - Oh Yeah

Voting
No more voting. I'm doing Chicken Kiev next and that'll probably be the last update. I'm going back to college and classes start in Mid August. Just don't think I'll be able to balance both as this is a very time-consuming LP.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

What sort of curry powder did you use? There are a lot of potential blends out there.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

What sort of curry powder did you use? There are a lot of potential blends out there.

Whatever the one they sell as Target Brand is.

This is the problem with Curry Powder as a spice its really ill-defined.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I like how the game has you blowtorch the tomatoes, and then calls them "boiled" later.

That is a real way to peel tomatoes, mind (the boiling and the cutting the skin, not so much the blowtorch).

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

The end of that video

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?

c355n4 posted:

The end of that video

I love you.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

c355n4 posted:

The end of that video

I'm the signature in the lower left.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

"You can't eat dick."

WRONG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012
Well, that's one way to peel a tomato, I guess.

Also, phyllo is used for a ton of stuff besides baklava, usually as a wrapping for either savory or sweet fillings, though you can also shred it and fry it to use as a crispy garnish, too. Spanakopita is something that always comes to mind when I think of phyllo. Warka is essentially a thinner, North African version of phyllo, and they can be substituted for each other. Like phyllo, it's used to wrap various fillings, like in Moroccan pastilla or Tunisian brik. Strudel dough is fairly similar as well, though it's usually used for sweet pastries.

• Locked thread