Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

All of that just makes me want to re-read the Clone Saga.

What an awful mess :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Waterhaul posted:

Here is an easy way to get the whole thing. Just start from here and get all 11 volumes!
http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Co...+saga+spiderman

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Waterhaul posted:

There were some nice beats in there. I liked Ben, the Scarlet Spider, liked the brotherhood, liked the contrast where they were at in their lives like in Power and Responsibility...but that might have been because DeMatteis was probably doing his damndest to make good stories and Bagely's art.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

Here is an easy way to get the whole thing. Just start from here and get all 11 volumes!

I'm guessing something called "complete" probably shouldn't be in eleven pieces.

Or is it Sputnik posted:

I liked "Stay Angry" because it was basically "Crank: The Comic", but holy lol should they have picked another artist.
The bigger problem was the opening "Island of doctor Moreau"-arc that took six issues to blow up Bruce Banner and had both Marc Silvestri and Whilce Portacio as artists. They're interchangeable, so the shift wasn't jarring, but still...

Art like this is forever etched into my memory as a reminder of that arc.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I'm guessing something called "complete" probably shouldn't be in eleven pieces.

What do you mean? It is complete in that it has every issue of the clone saga. It is just so massive that it needs 11 volumes.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Well, that's a dumb thing to say.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

What do you mean? It is complete in that it has every issue of the clone saga. It is just so massive that it needs 11 volumes.

It just seems silly to me. "Yeah, I've got The Complete X! No, not the complete Complete X, only the first volume of it."

"Complete" omnibusses like the X-Statix one are probably a bitch to actually produce, though, and I get and understand that. I just think calling something complete when it isn't is weird.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 1, 2013

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

bobkatt013 posted:

Or you could just get the "Clone Saga Mini-series" by esteemed messrs. DeFalco and Mackie, "Clone Saga how it was meant to be told" according to DeFalco. Apparently Mackie didn't read that memo either, because it was just re-telling the exact same story in six issues instead of 100+. Everything is exactly the same (albeit compressed like whoa) until last two issues where we learn that

- Norman Osborn Green Goblin is actually the stooge of Mystery Villain
- Harry Osborn is the Mystery Villain
- Ben Reilly doesn't die
- baby May lives

the end! Basically DeFalco and Mackie thought for 13 years about what went wrong and then realized "nothing major, really".

Or is it Sputnik fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 1, 2013

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I would have been totally cool with that ending.

Not perfect (the osborns should have stayed dead) but whatever.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

It just seems silly to me. "Yeah, I've got The Complete X! No, not the complete Complete X, only the first volume of it."

"Complete" omnibusses like the X-Statix one are probably a bitch to actually produce, though, and I get and understand that. I just think calling something complete when it isn't is weird.

It is like the complete peanuts that is coming out. They are going to release it all, but due to its size it has to be done in chunks.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Or you could just get the "Clone Saga Mini-series" by esteemed messrs. DeFalco and Mackie, "Clone Saga how it was meant to be told" according to DeFalco. Apparently Mackie didn't read that memo either, because it was just re-telling the exact same story in six issues instead of 100+. Everything is exactly the same (albeit compressed like whoa) until last two issues where we learn that

- Norman Osborn Green Goblin is actually the stooge of Mystery Villain
- Harry Osborn is the Mystery Villain
- Ben Reilly doesn't die
- baby May lives

the end! Basically DeFalco and Mackie thought for 13 years about what went wrong and then realized "nothing major, really".

Yeah I imagine there are plenty of Spidey fans who'd want Peter + MJ still married with baby Mayday and Ben Reilly still around. Rocking that Spider-Mullet, using Impact Webbing and Stingers.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm one of those. But toss in the Gwen Stacy clone that's still out and about.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Question IRL posted:

Yeah I imagine there are plenty of Spidey fans who'd want Peter + MJ still married with baby Mayday and Ben Reilly still around. Rocking that Spider-Mullet, using Impact Webbing and Stingers.

The best part of the clone saga was the little family thing they had going on. :3: Instead they spent the majority of the time on angst and plot twists!

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 1, 2013

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

CharlestheHammer posted:

The best part of the clone saga was the little family thing they had going on. :3:

Yeah seeing Peter and Ben webswigning side by side, in that Mark Bagely artwork is one of the images that just sticks with me as being awesome. Even to this day, seeing two people webswing in one page always makes me smile. Whether it's Spidey and Venom doing it, or Peter and Kaine. I'm looking forward to seeing Spock and Kaine doing it in the upcoming crossover.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

This is actually legitimately funny.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

Yeah seeing Peter and Ben webswigning side by side, in that Mark Bagely artwork is one of the images that just sticks with me as being awesome. Even to this day, seeing two people webswing in one page always makes me smile. Whether it's Spidey and Venom doing it, or Peter and Kaine. I'm looking forward to seeing Spock and Kaine doing it in the upcoming crossover.

I am not sure we will get that since Kaine did kill Doc Ock

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

bobkatt013 posted:

I am not sure we will get that since Kaine did kill Doc Ock

I really hope that's extrapolated on.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Art like this is forever etched into my memory as a reminder of that arc.

Yeah, Steve Dillon no-selling the whole story made it that much more fantastic. He's taking his pay check, but he doesn't have to like it.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Stay Angry had a different artist every issue. It was utterly obvious Dillon was picking up a paycheck which made that issue even worse.

I think what made Aaron's run on Hulk so bad was the fact I was so taken in by Pak's utterly incredible run on Hulk (I showed up about 20 issues till the end) I was hoping for Aaron to pick up some of that mantle and run with it, especially after his Hulk came out around the same time as Wolverine and the X-men which was (is) an incredible and nuanced book.

Are we just doing runs here or can we also do EVENTS!!!!! Because holy poo poo are there a lot of really terrible events out there.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

CharlestheHammer posted:

I would have been totally cool with that ending.

Not perfect (the osborns should have stayed dead) but whatever.
Yeah but the thing is, that's nothing like how the clone saga actually was meant to be told. Depending whose account you go by, it was supposed to end in Amazing #400 from April 1996 (as per Glenn Greenwald) or some six months later (as per Tom Defalco - who apparently never told anyone else this so make of it what you will), not the year-and-a-half-to-two-years it dragged on after that point. Norman Osborn was never meant to be the mastermind, so selling it that way is just disingenuous. Unless they managed to write themselves into a corner in their own six-issue miniseries which could explain a lot, but that simply seems way too silly, even for those two chaps.

If anyone is interested in the behind-the-scenes and office politics of the Spider-Man Clone Saga and haven't already done so, they should check out the column series "The life of Reilly".

Or is it Sputnik fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 1, 2013

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

RevKrule posted:

Are we just doing runs here or can we also do EVENTS!!!!! Because holy poo poo are there a lot of really terrible events out there.

In a lot of ways their worse then your average bad run because bad events are highly publicized trainwrecks that are hyped as totally the next big thing.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
It's not the worst run, but the worst issue:

Punisher Max #50, wherein guest-artist Howard Chaykin single-handedly almost derails Ennis' entire story:

Thank god it was just for the single comic, because if he had continued on, I would not have been able to keep reading. It's a loving mess, through and through, and I wish Goran Parlov (who did the rest of the arc) had the opportunity to re-do the art for the collected editions or something. #50 makes me legitimately upset.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 1, 2013

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
How about Chris Claremont's run on Exiles in Vol. 2?

The first series was a mixture of Sliders, Quantum Leap, and Marvel heroes, which meant that anything could and did happen. No such thing as plot armor here. Characters died, worlds were destroyed, poo poo happened. After its cancellation, Claremont took this setting of alternate universes and an entire multiverse of characters and used it to put together his favorite few characters and have them running around on Earth fighting generic bad guys like every other superteam.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anatomy by Dick Locher

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nipponophile posted:

How about Chris Claremont's run on Exiles in Vol. 2?

The first series was a mixture of Sliders, Quantum Leap, and Marvel heroes, which meant that anything could and did happen. No such thing as plot armor here. Characters died, worlds were destroyed, poo poo happened. After its cancellation, Claremont took this setting of alternate universes and an entire multiverse of characters and used it to put together his favorite few characters and have them running around on Earth fighting generic bad guys like every other superteam.

I heard it was mandated he could only use his own certain characters though, so it wasn't entirely his fault. The bugs-in-a-crystal-palace reveal was already dragging it down anyway and was a matter of time before it's quality dipped lower.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

RevKrule posted:

Ooh, I've been meaning to write one up too!

Now, I'm hardly the most knowledgeable guy around here on comics, especially since I'm poor, but I like to keep apace of general superhero goings ons. That said, I do tend to try to catch whatever event stories are about, and read them if possible. You could argue that the first real "event" storyline in comics was way back when FDR got the JSA to go fight fifth columnists in South America, but most people accept that "Crisis on Two Earths" was the first modernly recognizable major story, leading eventually to "Crisis on Infinite Earths", when DC wanted to clean house in the biggest way possible. So clearly they're supposed to know a thing or two about how it's done, right?

The problem then ends up being that to the financial side of things, events make big big bucks, so the more of them the better, and they start happening sooner and sooner, and carry less and less weight. But for a while in the past decade, DC had Geoff Johns reinvigorate the Green Lantern franchise, and use it to spearhead Big Events, while still being comprehensible, and give other creators venues for their own ins into the event. First we had the rise of the Sinestro Corps, with the big battle of Green vs Yellow. It was good. Then they broadened it with the full spectrum Color War. Still decent. Then they introduced the zombies of Blackest Night, detailed earlier in the thread, and not terrible at all, and in a few choice spots, really rewarding. These all blended perfectly together into one tapestry of a story, that while feeling rushed, due to jumping from one event to the next with no break, still worked. The end of Blackest Night, however, lead directly into Brightest Day, which is where the whole thing fell off the tracks.

At the end of Blackest Night, this big powerful "White Entity" comes out, and randomly resurrects a handful of established dead characters for its own reasons. The events of Brightest Day pretended to lead into this big plan to save the world. Except the ones chosen to do the work had no idea what they were doing and no plans on how to do it, and pretty obviously neither did Geoff Johns. I think the problem was that Flashpoint, the next big event, which was established as going to be a big "RESET" button on the universe, was set to start pretty much at the same time that this was set to end, and also made by Geoff Johns. Basically that means that Johns didn't have to have an ending, just a stopping point for this story, because it couldn't continue past that point. The directionless nature of the story very painfully bleeds into the context of the event itself. There are literally moments where characters ask each other what they're doing, and realize that they have no idea. It's sloppy and boring to have to have characters ask for their motivation in story, but when they do that and there is no motivation, it just results in some of the worst writing I've seen in comics. Many of the comics would just meander like they were the "B" plot to something more exciting going on in the same issues, when everything else going on was doing the same thing. Don't get me wrong, there were some small bits that I enjoyed (like the JLI subplots, for instance), but other than that, it just ends up coming across as coasting until Flashpoint started. It's like some sort of filler event.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Choco1980 posted:

Ooh, I've been meaning to write one up too!

Now, I'm hardly the most knowledgeable guy around here on comics, especially since I'm poor, but I like to keep apace of general superhero goings ons. That said, I do tend to try to catch whatever event stories are about, and read them if possible. You could argue that the first real "event" storyline in comics was way back when FDR got the JSA to go fight fifth columnists in South America, but most people accept that "Crisis on Two Earths" was the first modernly recognizable major story, leading eventually to "Crisis on Infinite Earths", when DC wanted to clean house in the biggest way possible. So clearly they're supposed to know a thing or two about how it's done, right?

The problem then ends up being that to the financial side of things, events make big big bucks, so the more of them the better, and they start happening sooner and sooner, and carry less and less weight. But for a while in the past decade, DC had Geoff Johns reinvigorate the Green Lantern franchise, and use it to spearhead Big Events, while still being comprehensible, and give other creators venues for their own ins into the event. First we had the rise of the Sinestro Corps, with the big battle of Green vs Yellow. It was good. Then they broadened it with the full spectrum Color War. Still decent. Then they introduced the zombies of Blackest Night, detailed earlier in the thread, and not terrible at all, and in a few choice spots, really rewarding. These all blended perfectly together into one tapestry of a story, that while feeling rushed, due to jumping from one event to the next with no break, still worked. The end of Blackest Night, however, lead directly into Brightest Day, which is where the whole thing fell off the tracks.

At the end of Blackest Night, this big powerful "White Entity" comes out, and randomly resurrects a handful of established dead characters for its own reasons. The events of Brightest Day pretended to lead into this big plan to save the world. Except the ones chosen to do the work had no idea what they were doing and no plans on how to do it, and pretty obviously neither did Geoff Johns. I think the problem was that Flashpoint, the next big event, which was established as going to be a big "RESET" button on the universe, was set to start pretty much at the same time that this was set to end, and also made by Geoff Johns. Basically that means that Johns didn't have to have an ending, just a stopping point for this story, because it couldn't continue past that point. The directionless nature of the story very painfully bleeds into the context of the event itself. There are literally moments where characters ask each other what they're doing, and realize that they have no idea. It's sloppy and boring to have to have characters ask for their motivation in story, but when they do that and there is no motivation, it just results in some of the worst writing I've seen in comics. Many of the comics would just meander like they were the "B" plot to something more exciting going on in the same issues, when everything else going on was doing the same thing. Don't get me wrong, there were some small bits that I enjoyed (like the JLI subplots, for instance), but other than that, it just ends up coming across as coasting until Flashpoint started. It's like some sort of filler event.

Brightest Day combined with Fear Itself swore me off event comics for good.

Like both of them combined were so bad that even though I love Hickman and I know Infinity will probably be very very good, I will not get the main book. I refuse to willfully purchase something as terrible as either of those events.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Brightest Day combined with Fear Itself swore me off event comics for good.

Like both of them combined were so bad that even though I love Hickman and I know Infinity will probably be very very good, I will not get the main book. I refuse to willfully purchase something as terrible as either of those events.

Like most things in this thread, the reason Fear Itself was so bad was due to editorial. It was suppose to just be a crossover between Thor and Captain America, but they decided to make it an EVENT, and we got that poo poo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I liked the Avengers Academy tie ins of Fear Itself at least, but aside from that I never read any of it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I liked the Avengers Academy tie ins of Fear Itself at least, but aside from that I never read any of it.

Do not bother as nothing of importance happens other than Colossus turning into the Juggernaut, but that has been retconed. Everything else that happened was quickly reversed.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The X-men tie in book is fun for seeing Utopia devise increasingly badass attempts to stop Juggernaut, including letting Gambit turn Rockslide into a running bomb. And Adam X just setting him on fire over and over.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
When you say Adam X, do you mean The Xtreme?

EDIT: YOU DO! Hahahah!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Gatts posted:

When you say Adam X, do you mean The Xtreme?

EDIT: YOU DO! Hahahah!

poo poo like that was why the X-men tie in was pretty much the only good Fear Itself book.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mr. Maltose posted:

poo poo like that was why the X-men tie in was pretty much the only good Fear Itself book.

I love the fact he's swearing up a storm. His 90s design is incredible.

I mean, note how his shoulder blades are blocking his line of vision.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 2, 2013

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Notable for the issues after after Clone Saga up to JMS' run were many concepts that were never again touched upon. Apart from the Nobody Goblin and Venom "killing" the Sinister Six that Gavok went into, here are some things off the top of my head:

- Korean martial artist Meiko Yin/Dragonfly, joins the Hand (ASM #421-423), one mention since
- S.H.O.C., superhero whose powers are killing him (SM #76), never seen again
- Someone at the Bugle looks at a picture of the doctor delivering Peter's baby and says something like "This guy is so mysterious and weird, he gives me the creeps" (ASM #421-423), never mentioned again
- Annie Herd, mercenary/supervillain Aura, paraplegic after Sensational #25, cameo appearance 8 years later
- Greg Herd, mercenary/supervillain Override, transformed to burning skeleton Shadrac (ASM v2 #2), cameo appearance 8 years later
- Spider-Man's new cat (ASM v2 #27), never expanded upon
- The sinister dog owned by Peter's hot neighbor, plot never resolved
- The guy stalking and kidnapping Mary Jane turned out to be "some guy with telepathy, it's not important" after years of buildup (ASM v2 #29), blows up at end of issue?

With a little help from DeFalco, he managed to forget/handwave away all these and more in just four years!

There's also the annoying Venom-eats-Carnage story. Venom breaks into the Vault, kills some guards and beats up Carnage. He eats the symbiote to make himself more powerful. On Venom's side, all he does is beat up Spider-Man and not kill him because "Wait, Carnage is trying to fight its way out! I'll be back later!" After that, his supposed power boost is never mentioned again. Cletus Kasady is still alive and when Mackie feels the need to bring him back as Carnage, he has him simply find a new, red symbiote in the Negative Zone.

IT'S LIKE LANDFILL NEVER LEFT!

Everyone ignores that whole mess because Toxin makes more sense if you do.

The issue also had a cliffhanger where Spider-Man's unconscious on a rooftop with Jameson, who's reaching for the mask. Mackie proceeds to forget about this plot thread and towards the end of the run sweeps it under the table by having Jameson shrug and say he didn't look under the mask because of reasons.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

There's also the annoying Venom-eats-Carnage story. Venom breaks into the Vault, kills some guards and beats up Carnage. He eats the symbiote to make himself more powerful. On Venom's side, all he does is beat up Spider-Man and not kill him because "Wait, Carnage is trying to fight its way out! I'll be back later!" After that, his supposed power boost is never mentioned again. Cletus Kasady is still alive and when Mackie feels the need to bring him back as Carnage, he has him simply find a new, red symbiote in the Negative Zone.

IT'S LIKE LANDFILL NEVER LEFT!

Everyone ignores that whole mess because Toxin makes more sense if you do.

The issue also had a cliffhanger where Spider-Man's unconscious on a rooftop with Jameson, who's reaching for the mask. Mackie proceeds to forget about this plot thread and towards the end of the run sweeps it under the table by having Jameson shrug and say he didn't look under the mask because of reasons.

Don't forget that Venom was able to easily take out a huge detachment of armored guards with sonic weapons who are specifically trained to stop Carnage from breaking out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gavok posted:

The story right after the Sinister Six one was a Carnage story, except it wasn't really, it was just Cletis Kasady running about New York in his underpants covered in red paint brandishing a knife.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Metal Loaf posted:

The story right after the Sinister Six one was a Carnage story, except it wasn't really, it was just Cletis Kasady running about New York in his underpants covered in red paint brandishing a knife.

Which I pray is the plot for Amazing Spider-Man 3.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
It sucks because Stay Angry had a crazy cool premise, I loved the whole idea that Hulk was the good guy, Banner was evil. I just really dug that dynamic, it's to bad it was written so poorly because it really is a great idea and great reversal of the Dr. Jekyll Mr Hyde theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jason Aaron's Hulk run had its ups and downs, but its ups included Dr. Doom performing brain surgery on The Hulk - who refused to be put under because he didn't trust Doom - with an adamantium chainsaw. So I can't hate it entirely.

• Locked thread