Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

I like how everyone is bringing up lame JLA characters but nobody mentions or remembers Faith.

After Morrison's run, Joe Kelly did a big megaevent called "The Obsidian Age", where the core JLA went back to ancient Atlantis to fight what amounted to a ancient League, and in the present a "replacement" league was assembled by Nightwing.

Faith was the completely new character who was added, and her powers were:
  • She could fly.
  • She was...telekinetic? I guess? She had these energy construct things from her hands that did something undefined.
  • She was a "warm and fuzzy" generator, who made people around her feel good and more likely to open up.
  • She's called "the fat lady" because when she was brought in it was "over" because she could blow up everything around her I guess.
  • She had a nice body.
So Faith gets to join the JLA despite nobody ever hearing of her before now and the fact that she ran away from a Shadowy Evil Military Organization. When the main JLA come back she's allowed to stay on the team because.

Her whole "I ran away from the military and you really don't want to know about my mysterious past, trust me, because it is DARK and BAD" shtick came to a head in the incredibly stupid "The White Rage" arc where Faith's former handlers attack the JLA with a team of racist stereotypes in order to get her back.

Interestingly, it looks like her last appearance in JLA was getting bit by a vampire in the Tenth Circle arc, then becoming part of Byrne's Doom Patrol reboot, which was a continuation of the Tenth Circle stuff.

Oh god I remember this crap why did you have to remind me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh please do. It's been ages since I've read that and my memory says it's worth remembering.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

IIRC Major Disaster was barely used in JLA proper and was shunted over to JL:E, which I didn't read for various reasons.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You know a comic series has been plagued by awful runs when it's Mark loving Millar you look to as the benchmark of quality.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

If you didn't enjoy Superman Prime, you have no soul.

Eh, it wasn't edgy enough. "Hahahaha you nerds look at how irrational and dumb this character is hahahahahaha. We're gonna put him into a basement with his parents and have him complain on internet forums hahahahahahaha." It didn't feel all that biting, just cliched.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Skwirl posted:

This is why I like that modern Marvel almost never tries to nail down timelines

Yeah they're just like "poo poo's hosed yo. Ignore it and it's still awesome though."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Why the gently caress does Iron Man have to sacrifice his sobriety?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

McSpanky posted:

"Pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaase take Cyborg seriously as a JLA Big Seven member???"

Want to empty-quote this so hard it gets a concussion.

Die Laughing posted:

Love me some stupid Metal Men poo poo.

Did you pop a stiffy at the armors Alex Ross did in Justice?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh yeah, the New 52 bullets thing was awesome.

E the Shaggy posted:

"Oh hey Cyborg, seems kind of cool. Where can I buy his book?"
"Oh we don't have a book for Cyborg. Would never sell, but hey, why not try out JLA's Vibe!"

We're just going to test out the character by aggressively marketing him to your face but utterly failing to show you why you should care beyond "he fills two really convenient niches for us" (minority and tech-guy). See also the reason Steel failed to catch on in Morrison's JLA.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh christ I looked up the Eve of Destruction team and you ain't kidding Giedroyc:

quote:

Eve of Destruction" crossover: While Cyclops and Wolverine infiltrate Genosha to save Professor X, Jean Grey forms an interim team composed of Dazzler, Northstar, Omerta, Sunpyre, Wraith, and a mind-controlled Frenzy.

Christ it's like a who's-who of who gives a poo poo? I get that sometimes you want to and have to give tertiary characters a chance in the limelight, but usually with someone worth a drat to balance them out.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

and yet he got a prominent role in a movie before Emma Frost. There is no justice in this world.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh snap! You're right. gently caress me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

According to a Marvel wiki he's a wannabe mafioso who was rejected for being a mutant. His power is that he's invulnerable. He never even seems to have progressed out of the blue/yellow cadet uniform phase of being an X-Man.

He apparently had some homophobia arc with Northstar, and died during some Weapon X shenanigans when they decided his power was useless to them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aaaaand I also just found out about a Morlock named Tar baby of all things introduced in Power Pack, of all things. He was killed in the same issue as Omerta and Maggot (it's clearly part of a "cleaning house" miniseries).

Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Was the whole "who?" aspect of that team really an homage to Giant-Size X-Men #1 (genuinely curious)? My gut tells me no.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ahh. Makes sense. Still, what a poo poo line-up. I mean with Giant-Size X-Men you can immediately see conceptual winners in there like Wolverine, Colossus, and Nightcrawler as well as "I can see cool things being done with them" like Storm, Banshee, and Sunfire-- with the line-up in Eve of Destruction the best characters are Dazzler and Northstar, neither of whom sets the mind on fire with possibility and were known as permanent supporting characters for good reason.

It's like the writer didn't even try to understand why Giant-Size worked.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"Only One Green Lantern" worked really well for nearly a decade too, and Kyle was well in the process of bringing the Guardians and the Corps back. I mean yes it's a very brazen move but we all know of far worse editorial mandates.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

What I will say about Kyle Rayner (and it also applies to Wally. Sort of to Connor Hawke and Cassandra Caine but probably not to the same extent.)

Why they succeeded is they didn't just ape the Marvel way of doing things and throw everything else out. They took certain aspects of the Marvel way of doing things (the Spider-Man template) but put a DC twist on it, by making them the next step in a Legacy of characters.

They were everymen (and women I guess) with their own problems, and one problem was being forever in the shadow of those who came before them, and building on that mythology.

And I think it was that fusion of styles that made them distinct and made them work that seems to be missing now. It wasn't enough for Kyle to be Green Lantern. He was the green Lantern who had to learn about it on his own, while also being The Torchbearer. The shining light in a dark universe without a GL Corps, but one who kept the light alive.

:golfclap: Couldn't have said it better myself. Couple that with the excellent stuff going on with the Young Justice crop at that time and you can see why I--as a teenage kid--found what DC was doing immensely interesting in the late 90s and early 00s. Here was this company with this immense and fractured history that had this entirely new third generation, and they were standing tall on their own merits without disavowing their legacies for one second.

Then about the time Geoff Johns got Teen Titans all that started to get thrown out the window and rolling back the clock became the order of the day. Oh well.

Onmi posted:

I guess I just enjoy that stuff so much I don't see how someone can't. But hey, everyone has their personal opinion. I for one think that Geoff Johns entire run on pretty much everything since Flash and JSA deserves to be on here. Because he's a mass retconning schlock who only knows one madlibs story and just repeats it with the words changed. but I'm not going to do a write up on it because while I consider it to be one of the worst runs, sales and public opinion would not agree with me.

I won't go into it because like you've said sales and public opinions disagree, but just know you're not alone in this opinion.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, the vast majority of personality and depth that Silver Age characters were mined from writers who grew up on those stories and got to explore their favorite characters as adults. During the Silver Age itself the characters were mostly just vessels for whatever insane poo poo the artist could draw that week, at least as far as DC seems concerned.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've heard good things about her Birds of Prey but all the cheesecake made me feel like I couldn't pick up a book without looking like a pervert. I also really liked her Villains United and Secret Six stuff, that was one of the few good things to come out of Infinite Crisis.

Oh and her Deadpool and Agent X bloody own. There's an arc where Deadpool accidentally shrinks the Rhino with Pym Particles and carries him around on a keychain. That kind-of creativity puts her well ahead of the curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Remember when some higher-up sent a memo around saying that he "never wanted to see Supergirl's panties again"? Looks like the artists found a way around it by making it panty-time 24/7 and calling it a leotard.

• Locked thread