Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Spider-Man: The Other
A comic where Spider-Man dies and then gives birth to himself:

Apparently this was done so he resembled the movie version more (he got organic web shooters), but those changes were retconned a short time after anyways.

Also, the entire story hinged on a supervillain with the ability to control insects being able to influence Peter because of his spider powers. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

And Ms. Marvel is alternating crying about being a helpless woman with angrily denouncing all men, she and Ben get launched into space. After joining the 150 mile high club, they get hit by a radiation storm and the result is that Ms. Marvel is now also rocky and orange. Since that doesn't really help differentiate the characters, Ben Grim becomes spiky like a pineapple.

Didn't they get rid of her character by having her get depressed about her appearance and commit suicide by throwing herself onto the third rail of the subway? That was one of the first comics I read as a kid, and I had absolutely no idea what was going on or who this character was.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I forget, have we talked about Animal Man, yet?

So Grant Morrison takes a D-list DC hero and updates him. Does a really good job to establish a down-to-Earth hero with a wife and kids and writes some really good stories with him about the nature of narrative. A really good run, with a completed story arc that ended satisfactorily.

...and then other authors got ahold of the character. They took one look at all the meta-narrative stuff that Morrison had done and decided that Buddy Baker's book was the place to dump all the weird or edgy poo poo that wouldn't fit in elsewhere. Poor Animal Man had to deal with a multitude of completely stupid stories, including:

- An abortion-themed supervillain.
- Spontaneously slipping into alternate dimensions.
- His son being abducted by a serial-killer uncle.
- His wife getting a job in the Big City and immediately getting mugged and then sexually assaulted by a cop when she ran for help.
- Forming a cult around his daughter.
- Getting injected with super-AIDS by the government.

I'm sure a lot of other things happened to him between those events, but it got so terrible that I was only skimming every fifth issue or so.

• Locked thread