Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
During the storyline where the X-Men are all in space and expecting to be taken over by the Brood, Nightcrawler is seen praying and he and Wolverine have a conversation on the subject. Wolverine straight up says "I don't believe in God - never have, never will." I'm quoting from memory, but that's the gist.

Now, this might have changed, but I'm gonna Occam's Razor this s-word up and say that it's less a carefully conveyed shift in Wolverine's attitudes over many years and stories and more Jeph Loeb ain't give a drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Spider-Man: The Clone Saga. It's been mentioned a couple of times in passing but it deserves special attention.

There have been a lot of badly written storylines on Spider-Man. There have been a lot of bad editorial mandates on Spider-Man. There have been a lot of times that Marvel (and DC) have gone out of their way to alienate a creator on their books. There have been stupid retcons, patchy art, overpriced cover gimmicks, stretched out storylines, and you can make an argument that any one of them is worse than any one component of the Spider-Man Clone Saga.

But I'll still hold up the Clone Saga, because it's just about the only place I know of where you can get all of that in one place. Trying to isolate one thing wrong with the Clone Saga is like trying to pluck a particularly vile germ out of a plague victim - technically you're right to say this one thing is horrible, but you still wind up wrong just by omitting everything else.

It's incredibly difficult to talk rationally about the Clone Saga because there is so much God drat stupid packed in one place that you can't focus on any one thing and it all blends into a stew of everything that is bad about superhero comics and their attendant storytelling hitches, and the toxic influence corporate overhead can exert. I know people are sick of hearing about it, but it keeps getting brought up because it really is that bad.

TL;DR - Here's the most exhaustive breakdown of this clusterfuck I've ever read. The best part is the exclamation that charging five dollars for a comic book meant it had to be really worthwhile. We're probably five years out from that being the norm.

• Locked thread