Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

It bugs me that there is apparently not a single Unitarian superhero.

Hey, a fellow cultist spotted.

I feel a need to stick up for the clone saga, there's some really good Spider-Stories buried under the heap. Ben Reilly was a fun character, and it seemed like Marvel was trying to do with him what DC had done with Kyle Rayner and Wally West, then they said gently caress-it, and had him melt.

Also, Aunt May's death in that is so incredible, it's an amazing issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WickedHate posted:

"I don't think I want to hear YOUR story!"

-"Our" Spidy to the Ben Reily version.

The animated series was really really great for a lot of reasons.

It was also really weird because Spider-Man wasn't allowed to punch anyone, and no one could die, but they kept using characters whose whole thing was killing. I tried watching it again on Netflix, and the "fight" scenes were, um, odd, and they'd do poo poo like have Punisher, Morbius and loving Carnage show up, but no one could die, so they'd do stupid poo poo like give Carnage "soul-sucking" powers that could be reversed by the end of the two-parter, or give Morbius suckers on his hands, so he wouldn't bite anyone. (I completely understand not wanting huge body counts in your Saturday morning cartoon, but maybe you shouldn't give Punisher and Carnage multiple episodes if that's the case.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

I don't read much DC. Do they contain a larger amount of 'cheesecake' than Marvel?

I don't mind a certain amount of "cheesecake," but modern DC certainly objectifies female characters more than Marvel. Compare Supergirl's 80's outfit to her current one, and Psylocke's 80's outfit to her current one. Or New 52 Amanda Waller and the old one. Or new 52 Star Fire, or Harlequinn, or Catwoman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I'm bitter Tim arbitrarily had the Red added to his name and got a terrible costume. Jason works better as the Red Hood anyway.

The whole "Super Heroes have only been around for 5 years" thing destroyed all of the Robins, in 5 years Batman has 4 Robins, one of which dies and is brought back to life as an adult. I don't normally care about the different ways comic characters age, because that way madness lies. But that's some sloppy loving storytelling, if you're going to reboot the whole thing they probably should have gotten rid of either Todd or Drake. (If I had my way Batman and Robin would still be Dick and Damien).

Edit: Tim Drakes my favorite, but too many people like the idea of Robin being bludgeoned to death for there not to be a Jason Todd.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 3, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This is why I like that modern Marvel almost never tries to nail down timelines

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

Fear Itself was a Thor/ Cap crossover that got ballooned hideously by editorial.

Fear itself gets a lot of (deserved) poo poo piled on it, but I did like large parts of it. Iron Man sacrificing his sobriety, that issue of Uncanny X-Men where they're trying to stop Juggernaut. And it's the genesis of Kid Loki's Journey into Mystery, which is one of my favorite short lived series ever. (Anyone who hasn't read it, you don't need to read the rest of Fear itself to understand it, you just need to understand that poo poo is hosed, and the world [Midgard/Earth] is going to end).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Why the gently caress does Iron Man have to sacrifice his sobriety?

Because old gods demand sacrifice (Odin is a giant loving dick).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Those are good points but like you pointed out, other than the sacrifice those things could have happened without Fear Itself. The X-Men one is just a "Juggernaut is supercharged for whatever reason, throw stuff at him till he stops" plot and JiM spun out of Gillen on Mighty Thor and Siege: Loki.

While I agree, I do think the first arc of JiM works best if you at least understand that while Kid Loki is running around, all the other heroes are trying to deal with the same world ending catastrophe.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah if Warren Ellis got his hands on him it could be amazing, but he is a cape

Warren Ellis still writes superhero comics, he had an Avengers graphic novel, and is currently co-writing Avengers Assemble with DeConnick. I don't he's going to write Cyborg anytime soon, but that has more to do with DC being a horrible company that likes to alienate their best people, than anything to do with the character of Cyborg.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

It's a wonderful book. Very real and yet dreamlike, very different read after finishing his middle trilogy. Though I don't remember it being very cyberpunk like that? I just found the connection between 'Gibson should write Cyborg' and the fact he wrote a book about a character who would probably be unable to read a DC comic for violent allergic reaction just made me chuckle.

Yeah, his most recent books aren't really cyberpunk, and the advanced technologies in them aren't particularly advanced. He said something to the effect that he couldn't write science fiction anymore, because the future comes too quickly now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Has their ever been a mutant who had a hideous deformity and never had the poor mes? He just accepted how he or she looked and did not give a gently caress how anyone else thought of them?

While Nightcrawler has spent plenty of time being melancholy, there's also a huge amount of his past where he's running around being a happy go-lucky swashbuckling ladykiller.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

McSpanky posted:

And I don't ever recall him really being bummed out over his quasi-demonic appearance, even though (or maybe because) his physical mutations manifested at birth instead of puberty like most mutants.

Yeah, isn't it usually just about him liking a girl he can't have (I'm basing this mostly on Claremont's Excalibur, which is the most recent thing I've read with a lot of Nightcrawler, and even then it's because she's with Captain Britain, nothing to do with her being repulsed by his appearance).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

New one on me. They were good friends, but I never recall anything like that. You might be thinking of Colossus, where this was definitely a thing (Colossus was nineteen and Kitty fourteen or so) that was a subplot at the time.

At that time there were more hints of Ororo and Kurt for a good while (something that's persisted on and off over the years). Honestly, Kurt was giving Wolverine a run for his money in regards to his love life back when they would be each other's wingman and played pranks on each other. Hell, they were practically inseparable for a long time.

:sigh: That was back when Nightcrawler was fun and before someone had the thought that putting a "demon" into a priest's smock was clever and ironic (it wasn't).

This came along in the mid-late 90's, after he became somber, self-loathing and :catholic:. Because early on and for a good while, he had plush dolls (Bamf dolls) of himself that he'd give out.

Sadly, the Nightcrawler people seem to remember is the polar opposite of the character he'd been for 20-25 years prior. Which is a shame, because he was infinitely more interesting back then: a guy with a demonic appearance who embraced it and never let it be the reason of keeping him from succeeding (and exceeding) what he'd set out to do. It also gave perspective to the :emo: "woe is me" mutants who were in reality far more fortunate than he was.

Edit: Far more :words: than I initially intended, but he really was one of my favorite characters for a long, long time.

Whose the woman in that, and what issue?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

I really want a full-on, no bullshit Exiles reboot.

I haven't read it, but based on what I've read about it, it's probably the easiest thing in the world to do without dealing with current continuity. Grab whichever character you want, the rest of the team are slightly weird versions of other characters, and then steal plots from poo poo-canned "What-If" books.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

E the Shaggy posted:

The whole Phoenix has affected Cyclops and others powers makes no sense. Magneto is somehow affected, even though he was never possessed yet Namor, who was, is totally fine.

Bendis tries to hand wave it away by saying "well, magneto was close to them" but so was nearly every other X person.

Also, how the gently caress does Cyclops' new mask work exactly? The big red X on his face doesn't even cover his eyes.

Don't think too hard about how Cyclops' powers work, it's incredibly inconsistent. It's usually supposed to be force, but sometimes it's lasers. There's no kickback normally, but he can use it break his fall. The mask is fine, just tell yourself he's got a crystal shield directly in front of his eyes, covered by unstable molecules and the giant red X on his face is pure ornament, like 99 percent of all costumes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Really you could have shortened the post to this and described the entire Sonic franchise across all media since the Genesis.

The one thing I don't get, thinking about all this stuff with Sonic comics, is why there were never any Nintendo comics. The Sonic comics were born out of that early 90s hype of "get this poo poo all over as much media as possible!" and you'd figure Nintendo would've done that too with Mario. Or if not Mario, I mean, they've only got a dozen other franchises that'd be good for comics but the only thing I can think of right off hand are the batshit insane Game Boy comics that Gavok wrote about at 4thletter. I guess Sega really does do what Nintendon't.

Basically what I'm saying here is Nintendo, please license the rights for a Metroid comic to like... any publisher and I will buy all of the issues please and thank you.

Nintendo didn't have a monthly comic available in comic shops, but they had similar things. They owned Nintendo Power magazine and while I didn't have a subscription, my cousin did, and at various points there were serialized comics featuring Mario and Link. There were various Nintendo tv shows, and cereals, and at one point I bought a choose your own adventure style novel starring Mario.

Also the Nintendo version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit had a 1-900 number for hints that was recordings by Jessica Rabbit, so basically they started a phone sex line for 8 year-olds.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, I agree about FF also. Of course I love Allred, and it did have many great character moments, but I thought all the stuff wiith Doom the annihilating conqueror and going to Uatu's planet in the last 5-6 issues was super boring. That's a book that I feel actually would've been better if it didn't have a plot and was just "weird poo poo happened in this issue I don't know".

Aren't those the issues that weren't actually written by Fraction?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Millar/Land is the second best run of UFF after Carey. You will read some real poo poo when Loeb's heroes buddies get their hands on the book.

I prefer Warren Ellis' featuring the Spaceship Awesome, and Sue threatening to put invisible snakes in people's beds.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

On the other hand, Rush Limbaugh claimed the movie was obviously biased towards leftists because the villain is called Bane and Mitt Romney was head of a private equity firm called Bain. :v:

Rush Limbaugh didn't know the X-Men movie was based on a preexisting property when it first came out, him having no loving clue who Bane was isn't surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

It's awful.

If you want a book with a lot of weird projection and discussion of what plucky Ike Perlmutter whistled to himself as he went up the elevator on a brisk March afternoon to see Avi Arad watching Seinfeld and thinking back to his time in the 1950s at a little cabin as he says to himself "Ike, you need to remember what your momma told you" even though he didn't even interview anyone so he's basically making up cheesy backstory out of whole cloth, this book is for you. It's hilarious in retrospect how he does his best to portray Perlmutter as a "plucky David" just trying to make ends meet in the face of BIG CORPORATE FATCATS, and it's a struggle to make Perlmutter seem sympathetic. Even one of the cute "plucky common man Ike" stories involves him making money when he first moved to New York by pretending to be an Orthodox Rabbi and loitering outside cemeteries waiting to get hired to do mourner's kaddishes.

Also it has tons of basic factual errors too, like how Ron Perelman decided to buy Marvel in 1989 based on how successful gimmick covers and 1991's X-Men #1 and 1992's Atlantis Attacks (the first real crossover event) were. Or how Marvel faced tough competition from their longtime rival, Todd McFarlane's Image Comics.

Im not religious in the slightest, and that's still one of the most evil things I can think of.

• Locked thread