Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Cable had been trucking along for something like 20 issues with one of the best collaborations in modern comics history--Joe Casey and Ladronn. The title couldn't have asked for a more in sync creative team, and they were absolutely killing it. Ladronn's art was a revelation, and leagues beyond what the title deserved--though definitely influenced by one Mr. Kirby, it still popped as his own (especially when it came to fine detail) and I honestly don't know how he managed to illustrate as many issues as he did without breaking his hand off.

Well, it turns out Marvel had some pretty good ideas on how to improve the title. The key part of the plan? Fire Ladronn and bring on The Rob Liefeld. Well, Casey didn't take too kindly to that at all, so he bailed with his partner, Thelma & Louise style, and then Rob ended up quitting like 3 issues later anyway. The whole title floundered and went completely to poo poo. A running theme with these issues is that Liefeld, creator of Cable, never quite remembers which eye is the mechanical one, so it switches back and forth non-stop. Also, for the big #75 issue, neither Joe Pruitt (the then-current writer) nor Liefeld accepted responsibility for the plot, which is always a great sign.

I'm happy that Casey & Ladronn got as long as they did on the title, but knowing that it was shut down and flushed down the hole due to pure managerial incompetence just breaks the heart. To paraphrase You Don't Know Jack, "Rob Liefeld is NEVER the right answer."

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Are there any serious Christian fundamentalist heroes? Now I am curious. Like literally bible toting preachin' Christian.
Battle Pope :v:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

I'm guessing something called "complete" probably shouldn't be in eleven pieces.
Well, that's a dumb thing to say.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
It's not the worst run, but the worst issue:

Punisher Max #50, wherein guest-artist Howard Chaykin single-handedly almost derails Ennis' entire story:

Thank god it was just for the single comic, because if he had continued on, I would not have been able to keep reading. It's a loving mess, through and through, and I wish Goran Parlov (who did the rest of the arc) had the opportunity to re-do the art for the collected editions or something. #50 makes me legitimately upset.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 1, 2013

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

My favorite part of Age of Ultron is the scene where everyone stands around listening to Emma Frost describe some stuff that happened off screen, that happened to Luke Cage, who is over there, in that cabin, but we're not going to show him.

E the Shaggy posted:

The best/worst part of Age of Ultron was when Bendis decides to show the plight of a family in Austin smack dab in the middle of the story, which is never mentioned again and was never mentioned until they showed up.

These are the two worst scenes in comics that I read this year, and the fact they were in the same story is incredible.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

DarkCrawler posted:

If you'd put John Byrne and Chris Claremont working on same comic would they manage to put a single issue out before one would murder another?
You do know they did an arc of JLA together (The Tenth Circle)?

(I have heard it is terrible!)

:bobkatt!!!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
It's really amazing that the headline JUSTICE LEAGUE title back then was as far from what we today consider a JL title should be. It was super low-key, full of characters nobody knew about, and stakes that I guess were kind of high, on a good day. If the words "Justice Leauge of America" weren't on the cover, you would never know. The fact that it took until 1997 for DC to realize that "Oh hey, we should put the Big Guns in one book!" is sort of crazy.

(full disclosure: I actually don't mind Jones' run, but I 100% agree it had to go, and the Morrison relaunch was the best thing that could possibly have happened.)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

I was going to mention him in my post, actually, but I didn't want to get into the details of Obsidian Age.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the arc and would love a "historical Bronze Age superteam" comic, but again, there was no reason for him (and his wife) to come to to the future or join the team apart from Kelley apparently wanting to jam in new characters in prep for Justice League XXXTREEEEMEEE.
1) Kelly's JLA run is fan-fuckin-tastic.

2) Kelly's JLE run is even better.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I can't stand anything Spider-Man related anymore.

Okay, I have a candidate, which may or may not be controversial. Damion Scott's entire run on Batgirl as a penciler.
Here it is, the worst opinion.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

Considering the cover art you threw up there (insert Mad Magazine joke here), I'd say they were probably more inspired by Battle Royale, a story that preceeds Hunger Games by many years and closer resembles the plot of AA. The font for the logo to the book even resembles the logo for the Battle Royale franchise.
Most (if not all) of the covers were homages to things like that, including Hunger Games.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah, creepy Mary Marvel was all Didio's show.

loving Countdown, man.
Did give us this, though:

which cycles from amazing to terrible back around to something quite special.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 2, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Wasn't the point of the "5 years" thing that it was superheroes are public for X number of years but Batman has been around doing his poo poo for years before that anyway.
I thought that was just The Internet trying to explain Nu52 Batman's already overflowing contact list after such a short period of time. My memory is terrible, but Snyder's Batman wasn't around like 10 years ago, DC-time, correct? (I honestly can't recall how long ago Zero year is taking place.)

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

E the Shaggy posted:

Back to the New 52, I absolutely cannot stand what they've done with Superman. Turning him into this brash rear end in a top hat who "punches first and asks questions later" instead of this hopeful superhero which everyone can find strength in.

Teenage Fansub posted:

What's given you that impression?
Weren't those Superman's exact first actions in JL #1 when it came to meeting Hal for the first time?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
hhhaaaaahahaha

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Or is it Sputnik posted:

I don't remember the exact issue number, but there was an issue of X-Men while Cyclops and Phoenix were living in Alaska that had a different artist for almost every new page. The cover boasted "The most artists in one comic book ever!". Times change, I suppose.
Only because I literally just read through that one, it was during the Kelly/Seagle era, and it was Scott and Jean on an airplane dealing with a hairy situation. What a lineup for that issue though--John Cassaday, Terry & Rachel Dodson, Tommy Lee Edwards, Cully Hamner, Cary Nord, & JH Williams III. Yeah, it switches to a new artist like every other spread.

I need more JHW3 X-action in my life. (this issue was his only X-work outside of two issues of X-Man and a Wolvie annual)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 19, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Thanks! Am I misremembering, or were they actually on their way to Alaska for some R&R?
No, they were headed out for exactly that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

I think McFarlane also did a few covers for some of the Batman titles.
He drew most of Batman: Year Two after Alan Davis peaced out after one issue.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

Really? I've wanted to pick that one up for a while. Everybody talks about Year One, but Two and Three got pushed out of canon and so don't get discussed much.
Well, I think it was more that they were nowhere near as great at Y1. Y2 is a pretty strange beast (major art changes notwithstanding) in a lot of ways, but it's worth reading at least once. I have literally never talked to anyone or have seen any discussion about Y3, ever.

edit: McFarlane's Batman cape--check that baby out:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 29, 2014

• Locked thread