Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I never read it myself but I heard Spiderman: Sins of the Father by JMS is something special too. Something about Gwen Stacy having kids with Osbourne and other insanity.

One title I was going to comment on that I have read was Way's Venom, but I think Gavok is probably saving up for a really (hopefully) big entry about that steaming pile of crap so I might as well leave it to him. But it was a steaming pile of crap. Man, what a steaming pile of crap was Way's Venom run. When people say "what is that steaming pile of crap of yonder?" the answer will always be "that's Way's Venom run". Because it was a steaming pile of crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Didn't Wolverine go to hell? Surely that has to do something for a man's faith.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Metal Loaf posted:

OMD happened because Joe Quesada wanted it to happen, that much is clear, but the fact that Marvel took delivery of Loeb's scripts for Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum, read them, reviewed them and thought, "Yep. That's another world-beater," remains one of the most perplexing mysteries of modern comicdom.

As bad as those are, and they are pretty loving bad, didn't they still sell like gangbusters?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Lady Neckbeard is my least favorite superhero.

She had quite a following in the 20's at the height of Freakshows.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

I was thinking hearts! If anyone thought otherwise they are a pervert.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

Are you reading Ultimate Spider-man? That comic has always been amazing. The worst runs in Ultimates other than Loeb is all the X-men runs between Vaughn and Woods. These runs introduced awful stupid characters that no one liked. The plots made no sense and also the characters acted completly out of character. There is also plots that went no where and was just poo poo tossed on the wall and never solved.

While Bendis' run on UXM was okay, Finch's art was downright ugly so I am going to throw that in there too. Strangely enough UXM never seemed good to me after Millar left (and reading Millar's old issues makes me feel like it wasn't that good to begin with). When you look at the talent involved in UXM it is really baffling how bad to mediocre it all was.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I was told that Millar's Superman Adventures run (based on the tv show) was pretty solid stuff. It seems Millar does better when he is working with other's property as it reigns in his tendencies to go for overthetop shock and disgust.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Gaz-L posted:

Didn't DC pull a similar :bandwagon: move with the Titans doing Hunger Games/Battle Royale as well?

Not neccassarily with Titans but DC did do Countdown: Arena. I didn't read it myself because it looked terrible, but I knew about it. Basically came out while Countdown was going on, so it had the stench of Countdown on it. It was basically DC saying "who would win in a fight between all our Elseworld characters?"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I really wish there was a JLU Question type of character trying to make sense of all this in-universe for the Nu52.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is too soon to claim than Forever Evil (and for association, Trinity War) is an awful, awful event?

Because it totally is :v:

Dang it DT you are supposed to be the DC fanboy here. I can't be the only one enjoying Forever Evil (never read Trinity Wars).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The reservoir idea is loving stupid, he destroyed all the character development for Hal and he's writing him like an idiot rear end in a top hat than can't do nothing right and worse yet he just wrote another loving 'shattering the status quo' story.

This is a bad thing thing because?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Has William Gibson ever written a comicbook? Get on it DC.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Gynovore posted:

Skin was awesome. He had been dealt a bad hand in many ways, but his attitude was "life is tough, man up and deal with it".

Then, of course, he's killed off-panel, and gets a one-page funeral where they get his name wrong.

The two sentences seem kind of fitting. The guy was existentialist who got shat on, even in death.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Wow. Did writers have a hate on for Sue or just women in general?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Trast posted:

Holy gently caress what did I just read. :psyduck: Is the Xmen brand really that convoluted?

The minute time travel is brought on you need a freaking score card to keep track.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

rkajdi posted:

You're almost inspiring me to start doing worst runs for all the drek that DC crapped out in the early 90s. Problem is I sold my old DC stuff from that era and like hell am I going to pay to get it back. The early 90s were bad on Marvel but they were hell on DC.

While there was dreck coming out of the early 90's there were still some gold spots and I hold that Batman's run through most of the 90's was pretty freaking solid. Also DC did try experiment outside a bit and released stuff like Major bummer.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

TheJoker138 posted:

"Uppity women are only pointing out examples of horrible poo poo in comics as an example of social injustice to get attention."- The man who will not shut the gently caress up about how great Red Hood & The Woman With Her Tits Out is.

Look at this guy liking comics I don't like.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
I really really liked her Secret Six comics. I find though that she has a certain voice that goes well with less than lovable characters, and she doesn't really know how to change it up. I have heard from people (outside these forums) that her Batgirl was good but it never really hooked me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

My irrational love for X-Cutioner's song makes me want to disagree with this, but even then that only brings us up to '92 and covers like... four issues.

X-Cutioner's Song and Age of Apocalypse will always have a special place in my heart.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Nipponophile posted:

I'll always remember X-Cutioner's Song mostly for having an issue of X-Factor in which not a single member of X-Factor appears even once.

The only X-Factor issue I remember from X-Cutioner's Song was the one where Apocalypse saves Xaviers life and Angel is there watching the whole thing. What made that issue stand out for me was the awesome art.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

He probably wasn't even the artist, but that brought back a flashback of Andy Kubert's absolute favorite piece of framing, a gasping person's head in the foreground with somebody else's face uncomfortably close to them in the immediate background, and a concerned onlooker in the further background.

Maybe I'm mad or it's just an irrational pet peeve, but I swear I saw him use that same framing constantly during the 90s and it always drove me mad.

I had to look it up and wouldn't you know it, the awesome art in that issue that I remember so well was done by none other than Jae Lee. That explains the awesome art then.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Forums Barber posted:

The inside was so much worse. I read this in a newsstand at the mall and immediately realized comics were dead. It took a couple of years for the body to hit the floor, though.

Despite his limited writing abilities I always liked the way McFarlane drew Spiderman.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Personally I like Johns when he takes characters that aren't in the A-league and puts an interesting spin on them. His Aquaman has been one of my favourite comics in the nu-52. His Shazam has been fun and he had a great run on Booster Gold. Even his original run on Green Lantern leading to after Sinestro Corps War was pretty good. I don't think he does well with bigger events though. If he has his own little corner to play in he is pretty spot on, but giving a role with the bigger universe and it all falls to crap. I would be more interested in seeing him play around with some more obscure characters in the nu-52. Come on DC, give Johns a Blue Devil title.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib
Thinking themselves smart, the heroes moved the anti-life equation equation to the last place they thought Darkseid would look - a Lay-z Boy store. How wrong they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I think it's part showmanship (nowhere is safe from me, I can be anywhere I want to and there's no way you can stop me) and partly his weird sort of nihilistic disdain for everything. He doesn't give a gently caress about your sense of propriety, if he has something he wants to tell you, he'll be in your living room, using your poo poo.

Darkseid is the ultimate "that guy who said he would crash on your couch for 2 days but ends up staying at your place for months".

• Locked thread